MPLS transplant
    Apr 2005

Our day in Cheyenne Canyon

So the ride I went on today wasn't anything spectacular, but I thought it would be fun to post about it. In general, it was 2000 vertical feet of climbing and 4000 vertical descending (roughly). We started by shuttling up from the section 16 parking lot in colorado springs to the top of gold camp rd. From there, we climbed roughly 1250 vertical feet on buckhorn, a gravel filled fairly steep singletrack. At the top of this, we happened to run into cyclocross champion Alison Dunlap who was leading a big group ride. After a little more climbing on buckhorn, it was time to descend. We rode a trail apply named 666, which was fast, twisty, and very loose (gravel) At one point, the trail is exposed on one side to a semi-steep cliff. Of course, this was where I decided to go over my bars with the result being my bike tumbling down the hillside. At the bottom of 666, we lost a rider due to mechanical failures.
    After riding down a road for about a 1/4 mile, we started climbing up palmer trail, this climb was fairly similar to buckhorn and was about 750 vertical feet. At the top of this, we descended section 16, a very fast and pretty technical downhill all the way to the cars. All in all it was a great day. No serious injuries, although we tried pretty hard. A highlight I forgot to mention was definately Mike attempting a river crossing on a bridge and falling in oh-so gracefully. You got the picture Kristian?

mtbr member
    Soooo, did you stop AD and chat her up, get her autograph? Or anything? Inquiring minds want to know. See this is why you should always take a camera on your rides. I mean, Alison Dunlap and your friend falling off a log bridge into the drink on the same ride. We demand pictures, man.

Glad it was just your bike that went pummeling down the cliff and not you. Well not as glad as you are obviously, but still...... Sounds like an awesome ride.

MPLS transplant
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Soooo, did you stop AD and chat her up, get her autograph? Or anything? Inquiring minds want to know. See this is why you should always take a camera on your rides. I mean, Alison Dunlap and your friend falling off a log bridge into the drink on the same ride. We demand pictures, man.

Glad it was just your bike that went pummeling down the cliff and not you. Well not as glad as you are obviously, but still...... Sounds like an awesome ride.
    Not autographs or anything, seeing AD ride is actually a fairly comon occurance if you ride in the springs.