Thread: Ouachita pics

paintbucket

Ouachita pics

Out the door. 900 mile drive. Cakewalk.

Why is he pointing that thing at me? And why is that one guy praying?

8 miles of pavement and FS road to start. Good warm up.

First mile of singletrack. Up Blowout Mountain

Random people coming down the back side.

Hmm, kinda rocky looking.

Yup. This was the second climb/descent of the day. Things got kinda backed up.

Yup yup

Finally, the Womble. The previous photos are mostly the Ouachita trail.

Really not much to say about the Womble trail that the pics don't. Just lovely.

When the going gets weird its bedtime.

mtbr member
    Just in case people wonder how"Oachita" is pronounced (at least in Arkansas): wash-ah-ta.

hooked on quack
    Beautiful trails. That rocky section looked TOUGH.

Thanks for the pics.

Duck

paintbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by phil.
    Just in case people wonder how"Oachita" is pronounced (at least in Arkansas): wash-ah-ta.
    I thought OUCH-ah-ta was appropriate.

Not dead yet, just playin
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckman
    Beautiful trails. That rocky section looked TOUGH.

Thanks for the pics.

Duck
    That rocky section(s) were just about unridable for me at least. That whole section was tough. 10-20 yards of rocky bits, 50 feet of clear trail, another 20-30 yards of rocks, some trail, rocks, trail, rocks, trail, etc..

I stopped worrying about getting back on my bike on the clear trail parts b/c I could already see people walking on the next rocky bit..

op

paintbucket
    Why can I never find a button for deleting a post?
    Last edited by wooglin; 03-29-2004 at 05:27 PM.

paintbucket
    grrrr
    Last edited by wooglin; 03-29-2004 at 05:28 PM.

paintbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by ohpossum
    That rocky section(s) were just about unridable for me at least. That whole section was tough. 10-20 yards of rocky bits, 50 feet of clear trail, another 20-30 yards of rocks, some trail, rocks, trail, rocks, trail, etc..

I stopped worrying about getting back on my bike on the clear trail parts b/c I could already see people walking on the next rocky bit..

op
    My impression was that the rocky sections were each largely rideable, but that most also had at least one nasty spot -- usually right in the middle -- that was daunting with so many miles left to go. And getting started again after dabbing was a pain so it was easiest just walk it out.

I was happy to have the rocks at the beginning of the day though, rather than the end when I was stupid tired and lacking in judgement.

bi-winning

Good job!

Looks like great fun I wanna ride there! Too bad i am so far away... Niagara Falls. anyway, glad you enjoyed it, and thanks for sharing your experiences with us all.

mtbr member
    looks like beautiful st.

how far is that from Little Rock? or Fayetteville?

what town was the base camp / starting point?

paintbucket
    Start/finish was in Oden. I think that's about 2 hours from Little Rock. Mapquest.com could give you a more accurate figure.

mtbr member
    the womble is a great trail. i rode it during the summer, lots of ticks and spiders.
    i stayed in mt. ida.(use caution this is a dry county, no beer).

later

mtbr member

I thought it was

Quote Originally Posted by wooglin
    I thought OUCH-ah-ta was appropriate.
    a soft "c". O-Sh!T-A

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

hey professor

I rode with you a lot of the ride. Tom on the foes. Nice pics. I recognized the ants on your bike. Have fun on your next dig.

Not dead yet, just playin

Were you riding the Foes with the Sherman?

Quote Originally Posted by tomrannells
    I rode with you a lot of the ride. Tom on the foes. Nice pics. I recognized the ants on your bike. Have fun on your next dig.
    Were you riding a Foes/Currnut/Sherman setup? We passed each other a few times if I recall. I think I was the only Ventana El Fuego rider out there

Was your setup a pain in the climbs?

op

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ohpossum
    Were you riding a Foes/Currnut/Sherman setup? We passed each other a few times if I recall. I think I was the only Ventana El Fuego rider out there

Was your setup a pain in the climbs?

op

Yep that was me on the Foes Curnutt Sherman. Aside from the total bike weight, it isn't a bad setup out there. The bike climbs quite well. Biggest problem was waiting for others on the dh's. Every time the trail started down, a group got in front of me and went really slow. I was going crazy. All that work uphill and then no reward.

I managed to finish despite all the cramps.

paintbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by tomrannells
    Thanks. You were mighty good company. I definitely appreciated the moral support.

Got tums in your pack yet?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

the Foes guy...

I was the rider on the Silver Turner 5 Spot, we talked briefly at check #3. Glad you finished, I was just ahead of you...

paintbucket
    Has everybody looked for their photos yet? http://www.getoutphotos.com/

Kearsarge crawler
    Nice road trip. Good pics, thanks.
    Your bike can take you anywhere, anytime, over any terrain but, you have to force it to GK 2004. BB1, who started it?

Uhhhhh...
    Looks like a great ride. I'll most likely do it next year but its so freakin earlier in the season so i never get in shape......oh well. Anyone here doing White Rock Challenge or the Ozark Challenge? I'll prob do the 60mile White Rock this year but not adventure racing for another 3 years because you gotta be 18.

-TS
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT

Artist formly Poop
    looks fun except for the fact that it looks like you got off and walked the best looking section... oh well whatever floats your boat.
    Pirates are the S

TeXaS BoY
    Jan 2004
    looks like really cool singletrack. I dig your pics. That climb appears absolutely *****in.
    Don't live in fear. Be ready.

I love my bike like a fat kid loves cake.

paintbucket

Finally

some verbiage to accompany the photos. This is the Passion forum after all.

Arrived in Mena, AR after a 15 hour drive, only to find it was in a dry County. So I drove another half hour (each way) for some beer, arriving back at the not-so-lovely-but-functional Sun Country Inn both tired and grumpy. Too tired and grumpy to screw around with my backup bike, which was just as well. I figure if you're going to abuse yourself you shouldn't hold back. Single speed it was, which was the plan from the very start when I first contemplated this ride more than a year ago. The backup bike was a rigid 1x7, so it was a rock and a hard place kinda thing anyhow.

Next morning wake up bright eyed and bushy tailed at 5am because I'm still on Eastern Time. HA! Decide to forego coffee since its a diuretic and I'll need all the fluids I've got by the end of the day. Bad idea, as we'll find out later. Meanwhile though, I ask around and discover I've got a pancake breakfast waiting for me at the start. Hot damn, so off I go. Get there, snarf down some food, air up, and I'm ready. Ride starts pretty promptly at 8 and has a good 15-20 minute initial stretch on pavement and forest service road for warm up, so I'm a happy camper. Except for the lack of caffeine of course. By now I had an absolutely splitting headache. Addict. It would stay with me for the rest of the day. Anyhow, soon the road starts pointing up and I get into my rhythym. Then we get into single track and within 200 yards, still tick tacking away, I've run up onto someones wheel. Dab. And worse yet, a dab-and-a-miss. Down I go in one of those graceless bike-rolling-backwards-foot-trying-to-catch-up falls. Damn.

After that it was just riding. There wasn't any hurry since it wasn't a race. Rather than pass I'd just pedal a lot slower than everyone else on the climbs, and get off and run/walk when they hit granny and I couldn't go any slower. Worked good, and lots of folks were kind enough to move over anyway once they figured out what was going on. And when the trail pointed down I'd just try to stay out of the way. I'm firmly convinced that everybody out there was on a 5x5 of some sort, and all of them wanted to run my ass down when gravity took over. So that went on for most of the first half of the course, until suddenly the second check point wasn't where it was supposed to be. We'd been warned, but not that it was 5 miles up the road. And I do mean road. Forest service road and pavement. All I wanted was food at that point, before it was too late. Not to mention water since I'd just run out. Right about now Tom, whom I'd hooked up with by happenstance several miles earlier, cramped up bad (for the first of what was to be several times I guess), so we stopped and I give him some of my secret weapon: tums. Took some myself too, just in case. And finally, FINALLY, we got to the lunch stop. Unfortunately, that 5 mile stretch of road took a lot out of me. I was not happy.

After lunch theres a few more miles of pavement. With a headwind of course. And with my hamster gear I can't hang on either of the pacelines that pass me. And there's a little climb as well. Finally I get back to singletrack. Which goes up. So its push. Ride. Push. Ride. Only this time its not that I keep running up on people but that I just don't have any grunt left. At last, somewhere over this climb which I barely remember, its the Womble Trail. Go back and look at the pics. Its absolutely beautiful trail. Fast, skinny, winding, creek crossings, benched. Flow at its finest. Me, I just hope I'm not so wasted that I screw up. Especially on some of the benched sections cuz its a long way down and there's no one around to watch me go over the edge. Hit the third check point, load up on gatorade and chocolate chip cookies, blast down a dirt road, cruise some flat single track by a lake, struggle up one more good climb (yeah, it sucked), and then a most killer downhill. Let me repeat that. A Most Killer Downhill. I pity the folks who didn't get this far. It was the best. I damn near did the whole section again. I was feeling like crap but it was that good. Maybe better. But alas it was late and I was tired (just a bit mind you). So it was back onto dirt road, blast down another hill to pavement and spin it home. Besides, there was beer in the car.

Solum Volamus

Womble - tips for a solo rider.....

Hi

I'm planning on riding the Womble solo this Sunday and am interested in any tips you guys might have. Where should I start/get a shuttle/camp? This is just a detour while driving from OK to GA, so I'll be alone and only have the one day. I'd like to camp on Sat night near the start point, but still be able to leave my vehicle in a relatively secure area.

I appreciate any suggestions!!!