Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    "Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx

OT - Paris-Roubaix @ Mr. Hincapie

what happens when you mix a carbon sterrer tube, lots of cobblestones, and a not so light rider?

I'd hate to have to know what it feels like to suddenly find that your bars no longer are "there" for you.........

YR
    Attached Images Attached Images

Currently in Exile
    He did good to not take a core sample of his face when that broke!
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004
    According to the prerace cyclingnews article the steerer wasn't carbon...
    On-One Lurcher SS
    Speedway Cycles Fatback Ti SS
    1984 Trek 560
    http://slipangles.blogspot.com/ - It's supposed to be fun

mtbr member

cobble stone?

Is that a third world sidewalk the bike is lying on?

Cold Blooded
    I wonder if his first crash had anything to do with that failure. I felt pretty bad for him, it is hard to watch a grown man cry like that.

mtbr member
    I hated to see him go down like that. This is from cycling news....

George Hincapie's Roubaix ended in disaster with 45 km to go when his aluminium steerer tube broke on the Mons-en-Pevele sector of cobbles. Hincapie had been riding well up until that point, but he couldn't avoid crashing. He fell heavily on his right shoulder and will likely require an operation, according to VRT.

I'm assuming since he needs an operation that he broke his collar bone...hopefully he has a speedy recovery.

Ride what you want!!
    Quote Originally Posted by noslogan
    Is that a third world sidewalk the bike is lying on?

Tell me you're joking and in fact do know about the "Hell of the North".

george
    Trogs: Too Tough for Carbon Fiber

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

I still can't believe it...

Even with an alu steerer, it boggles the mind to see it snap like that. After all, these aren't wal-mart bikes we're talking about. And Hincapie ain't exactly a clyde...

btw, I'm now convinced the Paris-Roubaix is the single most impressive bicycle race in the world.

Nothing here
    I watched that happen on TV today. You can see George sit up all of a sudden-no handed and then veer off to the side and crash. It looked like a really hard crash too. I feel for the guy-I really wanted him to win.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

If George rode Mtb

would he be the top xc racer?

I think he would be kicking a$$ but his paycheck would be shriveled up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Looking at the steerertube, it looks like carbon to me...

mtbr member
    Well, I am joking. Sadly, I don't know about the "Hell of the North"
    I remember the " Hell of the West". Vaguely.

iheartMTNs

bummer.

who did the t.v coverage? i skimmed through the channels for cycling coverage this weekend but dint see nada.
    e
    "EPO can turn donkeys into horses!" function

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx

Cyclism Sundays

Quote Originally Posted by eraSSerhead
    who did the t.v coverage? i skimmed through the channels for cycling coverage this weekend but dint see nada.
    e
    on OLN.

Every Sunday they're showing something.

YR

Look at the time!
    it was an anodized aluminium steerer:

wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Cycling news had a look at Boonens Time VRS, it used a STEEL steerer for this race. Now I know why. Here's hoping George is OK.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    [QUOTE=lelebebbel]it was an anodized aluminium steerer:

[QUOTE]

Yes now I see, tnx. Already thought it would be risky to ride with a carbon steerertube

mtbr member

Hear that?

That's the sound of the mechanic and/or equipment manager for the Disco boys getting FIRED.

Cold. Blue. Steel.
    I am so PISSED!
    George was the strong man of the race. He was peaking just right and had the strongest team in the race... finally. And to be put out by an aluminum steerer??? I am pissed at the Trek F1 Team, or whatever they call that "Lance marketing" crap. Funny how nothing like this ever happened to Armstrong.
    Apparently, it was a Bonti fork from one of their "Satellite" line of bikes; a lower end component with more trail for a less twitchy ride.
    An aluminum steerer? HELLO! Earth to Trek. Steel and Paris-Roubaix go together like beer and frites in Belgium.
    Plus, he sustained a fracture in between his right collar bone and shoulder. Hopefully the surgery will fix him right up. Damn I am still pissed.

Maybe in a weird twist of fate, this will enable him to be ready for the Tour GC.

OGG
    Spinning and Grinning...

mtbr member
    Maybe I'm nieve to the whole equipment supplier/pro cycling team marriage. But the Disco/Postal boys have been riding with aluminum steer tubes throughout their union. Why would there be any reason to think that all of a sudden there would be a problem. What I don't understand is if that fork is indeed designed for their (Trek's) Poilet series, is the destruction test standards the same as their reqular race forks.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    The strange part about this failure is where on the steerer it happened. This would require either a previous weak area (stress riser) or a huge force to create one from the crash. However the amount of force required to cause this failure would probably have bent the stem and bars or both one would think. It just seems that the steerer breaking at that area would be 3rd or 4th in line for weak points on that setup. I'm thinking the steerer was weakened previouslty from some improper mechanicing, is that a word?
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    Did anyone see his first accident...how bad was it. Isn't it possible that that was the start of his problems with the fork.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet
    The strange part about this failure is where on the steerer it happened. This would require either a previous weak area (stress riser) or a huge force to create one from the crash. However the amount of force required to cause this failure would probably have bent the stem and bars or both one would think. It just seems that the steerer breaking at that area would be 3rd or 4th in line for weak points on that setup. I'm thinking the steerer was weakened previouslty from some improper mechanicing, is that a word?
    Looked like it snapped right below the stem, which makes me think either damaged from the earlier crash, or the stem was overtightened..

Cold. Blue. Steel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reposado Man
    Looked like it snapped right below the stem, which makes me think either damaged from the earlier crash, or the stem was overtightened..
    You are reinforcing the point I made earlier...
    A steel headtube wouldn't be affected that way. If you are making all kinds of other changes on a bike for a special race, an aluminum steerer seems like a bad oversite or judge poor judgement.

OGG
    Spinning and Grinning...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

They didn't show it on OLN

Quote Originally Posted by SOFTBUTT
    Did anyone see his first accident...how bad was it. Isn't it possible that that was the start of his problems with the fork.
    Unless it took place while I was in the kitchen.

Before the BIG crash, the announcers did mention his first crash, but from the tone of their voice, it didn't sound that serious.

Perhaps the teams will now make it mandatory to switch out bikes - no questions asked - after even a minor wreck in the Paris-Roubaix.

Even without the crash, my guess is the CSC rider would still have won. GH would have most likely been caught off guard along with Boonen when the CSC rider broke away.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast