Gittyup!

OT - domain name value

Since this is such a diverse group, I figured I'd throw this question out there. I just got a call out of the blue from someone who would like to purchase a domain I own (gittyup.com) When I got it a few years ago to use as a blog site for a road trip, I was pretty surprised that it was available actually. In the back of my mind I thought that someday someone would want it. That day is here apparently! It gets a lot of random "type in" traffic and has great placement on Google... especially image search. Anyhow, this person offered $1,000. I bocked and said I'd have to get back to him. Thoughts on whether I should hang on to it and wait for a better offer somewhere down the line (heck, it's a pretty well known catch phrase thanks to Kramer of Seinfeld... some big tv network might want it someday , or would I be crazy to pass this up? I could put it toward that Yeti 575 I've been oogling after for the past year! <<< bike content.

I've already Google searched for domain valuation, but most are paid services in the realm of $20. I may end up doing that route anyway, but thought I could get some good feedback here. Interested to hear your thoughts....

Yummy
    Actually, I'm surprised anyone would pay for a domain name that's nothing more than a mis-spelled version of the common expression "giddyup".

Kn.
    I used to be with it. Then, they changed what "it" is, and now what I'm with is no longer "it". And whatever "it" is, is strange and confusing.

Formerly DMR For Life
    i would say ask for 1250 and see how much they want it...if they balk at that then take the 1000..i'm not expert...just my 0.02329 CAD
    DMR

Gittyup!
    LOL! I take it that you are in the "sell" column?

You'd be surprised how many people spell it w/ "t"s however.... and how often it is searched w/ that spelling. But you are indeed correct in that most spell it w/ "d"s.

Quote Originally Posted by K'Endo
    Actually, I'm surprised anyone would pay for a domain name that's nothing more than a mis-spelled version of the common expression "giddyup".

Kn.

Brazen Dropout

Astronomy domini

I hope this appraisal means squat, because the domain I want is valued the same, and I'm willing to pay about, well, a thousand dollars for it.

https://www.certifiedofferservice.co...nAssessment.do

You Selected: GITTYUP.COM

GITTYUP.COM

$8,515.00 - $10,000.00 USD

This range is based on the following criteris:
    Word Relevance
    Domain Name Length
    Live Web Site
    Domain Extension
    Traffic Ranking

The value of a particular domain name depends upon many factors and is unique to each registrant. The assessment is intended as a helpful service only and is based on how well the domain name performed in each of the above categories. Five stars indicate the highest possible value rating.

Last edited by Cloud9; 12-29-2005 at 04:47 PM.

Gittyup!
    Wow... very nice! Thanks Cloud9. That's encouraging, but taken w/ a grain of salt How did you get access to the valuation tool? I saw mention of it, but couldn't seem to find the actual page.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud9
    I hope this appraisal means squat, because the domain I want is valued the same, and I'm willing to pay about, well, a thousand dollars for it.

https://www.certifiedofferservice.co...nAssessment.do

You Selected: GITTYUP.COM

GITTYUP.COM

$8,515.00 - $10,000.00 USD

This range is based on the following criteris:
    Word Relevance
    Domain Name Length
    Live Web Site
    Domain Extension
    Traffic Ranking

The value of a particular domain name depends upon many factors and is unique to each registrant. The assessment is intended as a helpful service only and is based on how well the domain name performed in each of the above categories. Five stars indicate the highest possible value rating.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    It's worth what they'll pay.. so I say counter with a few hundred extra dollars and if they don't bite take the $1000 and go! Not likely you'll get another chance to sell it, IMO.

Brazen Dropout

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Quote Originally Posted by SLinBend
    Wow... very nice! Thanks Cloud9. That's encouraging, but taken w/ a grain of salt How did you get access to the valuation tool? I saw mention of it, but couldn't seem to find the actual page.
    Hmmm. odd, I can't seem to find it now either. If you start by going here:

http://www.namesecure.com/en_US/index.jhtml

Then click on "make an offer", and when you arrive on the net page, look for the drop down box under this line:

"Does GITTYUP.COM include the name of a product or service?"

Select "No, or Don't Know" from the box, and it takes you to it. Kinda useful, though not very handy.

mtbr member

How much is the Yeti you want?

Based on the valuation site and what they started with, ask what you need to buy the bike. If they say no, just hang on to it. Maybe resurrect it and generate some traffic so the name becomes more valuable.

Just a thought.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

Gittyup!
    Good point skiahh. Bike would be in the 2k - 2.5k range, depending on build. I just may try that angle. I don't really need the $, but hey, don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth either.

As for traffic, it already gets a bunch (the .com address points to its .net equivalent - see sig tag below). I'm amazed at how much actually.

Quote Originally Posted by skiahh
    Based on the valuation site and what they started with, ask what you need to buy the bike. If they say no, just hang on to it. Maybe resurrect it and generate some traffic so the name becomes more valuable.

Just a thought.

mtbr member
    That appraisal service is BS. Trust me.

Head on over to http://www.webhostingtalk.com and post in the domain name appraisals forum. You should get some great responses (I have in the past).