the bomb

New question here. OT - any bad experiences with Penske?

Sorry for the off topic question.

Anybody have any bad experiences with penske for moving? I've been looking a quotes, and penske's was 1k less than uhaul and budgett rental trucks.
    Womanhood ain't for sissies.- oldbroad

Freshly Fujified

All good here

I used Penske for a local move a few years back when U-haul screwed me on my reservation. I got the vehicle on a Saturday morning, and the equipment was almost brand new. Even though I had only contracted for the day, since they were closed on Sunday, the guy told me to just make sure it was back on the lot before Monday morning. That was helpful, as I didn't have to rush the move.

I hope your experience is similar.

Clyde
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Dr. Pepper drinker

Good job! My experience was good...

Quote Originally Posted by pfunk

Anybody have any bad experiences with penske for moving? I've been looking a quotes, and penske's was 1k less than uhaul and budgett rental trucks.
    I did the same thing about two years ago, compared the 3 you were looking at and Penske was a way better deal. MUCH better truck than U-Haul, some of the crap they put out on the road is pretty pitiful. We packed a 17 ft (I think) truck to the brim and hauled my car behind on a trailer from Iowa to Salt Lake with no problems at all keeping up to the speed limit on the interstates and going through the mountians. If we ever move again I'll definitely be going with them for sure. One thing I would say is if you know you're moving and know the dates, reserve it right away! The prices on them increase pretty dramatically as the date approaches (sometimes hundreds of dollars a day) which cost us some cash on our last move.
    Last edited by catch22; 04-27-2005 at 04:59 PM.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

Team BikeWood

I'd highly recommend Penske..

I've use their trucks twice on long moves (1800+ miles) and they were great both times. Trucks were new and in great condition. It's interesting that they're cheaper for your move, since they were more expensive than the others for me -- but well worth it. One of the Penske reps told me they replace the trucks after 2-3 years of service. So they're always relatively new -- unlike some of those beater Uhauls you see around.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Avoid Uhaul

Uhaul is lame. Their yard workers are paid minimum wage and are treated like crap. And they are the ones making sure your cross country truck is ready. Beware.

contains quinine
    UHaul sucks. Screwed me and many others over. Don't use 'em.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

MTBR.com Addict

Upset I totally agree

Quote Originally Posted by Debaser
    UHaul sucks. Screwed me and many others over. Don't use 'em.
    Uhaul sucks the big one. Twice in the last 6 months they have screwed me over.
    Last time it was for a simple covered/enclosed trailer. To their credit they did give me a similarly sized truck for the same price as the trailer and didn't count mileage. But even then, when I got my g/f's stuff loaded at her old apt in San Francisco, it started raining and guess what....the damn wipers didn't work!. It was pouring down rain in buckets that day, so we ended up pulling over and sleeping in the truck until about 4am when the rain let up. I had words with the manager the next day. Ended up not charging my for the truck either so I was just out for the gas I put into it. Not worth it to chase that down.
    I will never again use UHaul.
    On another note, UHaul has a corporate policy that if I have a reservation and someone comes in 5 minutes before I pick up my trailer and that person wants to go cross-country one way with the same kind of trailer.......they get preference and I lose my reservation. Ask any UHaul manager, they will tell you it's true.
    [SIZE=1]
    Education Coordinator for Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay
    www.btceb.org
    Help us support open and multi-use trails.

[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I used Penske to move from Salt Lake to Detroit. (Yeah, I know, why? It sucks) Penske was a few hundred cheaper than U-haul and it was a nice truck. I didn't have any fear of breakdown and we were able to make decent time. Like someone said before, get the reservation early. I decided to check with my wife and get a truck the next day. The price jumped by about $500. Luckily, I was able to call and plead my case.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I used Penske several years ago to move fom WA to CA, amazingly enough I hit rain in Oregon, and found out the wiper blades were thrashed, couldn't see anything, so I lost a lot of time, ended up a day late, but when I turned in the truck, they were real good about it, they even gave me a little credit due to the fact the guys in Spokane gave me what they considered to be a truck that should not have been rented in the first place. Other than the wipers, the truck was in great shape. I would definetiely use them again.

Lindsay

They're real kewl...

My dad bought a mercedez from them and once in a while when I drop him off for service, the penske guys give my Titan a wash for free. lol.

Sweat is just fat crying.

Ha!

You're kidding, right? Just don't use U Haul. For entertainment,just do a Google for U Haul bad experiences. Here's just one: http://www.dontuseuhaul.com/OtherPeople.html

It's nature's way of telling you not to move.

fp
    Last edited by Finch Platte; 04-27-2005 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Bad reading comprehension.
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Back when I was a shop rat for a lighting company, I drove a whole lot of trucks around, and always had good luck with Penske. They seemed fairly well maintained, and definitely sucked a whole lot less than u-haul.

mtbr member
    May 2013

penske sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jim-bob View Post
    Back when I was a shop rat for a lighting company, I drove a whole lot of trucks around, and always had good luck with Penske. They seemed fairly well maintained, and definitely sucked a whole lot less than u-haul.
    Penske is a truck leasing and resale company. Their trucks are clean and new because they are constantly selling them. The operate in much the same way car dealers lease cars to break them in so they have clean used stock to sell at reasonable prices vs. new. But should you crash one of their trucks be ready for the wrath of penske and a long menu of charges despite having purchased the LDW Limited damage waiver. They will tell you that it was your fault and for that reason you are not covered. Further they will rescind your insurance after the fact. Once this happens they will charge you open rate on the truck until the body and or mechanical works is completed and they can return the truck to their fleet. They invaded my credit card for 4300.00. My bank refused to return the charges. Complaints to various government agencies did nothing. Be careful with these slimy b-stards. They seem nice but you're actually swimming with sharks.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by flashman View Post
    Penske is a truck leasing and resale company. Their trucks are clean and new because they are constantly selling them. The operate in much the same way car dealers lease cars to break them in so they have clean used stock to sell at reasonable prices vs. new. But should you crash one of their trucks be ready for the wrath of penske and a long menu of charges despite having purchased the LDW Limited damage waiver. They will tell you that it was your fault and for that reason you are not covered. Further they will rescind your insurance after the fact. Once this happens they will charge you open rate on the truck until the body and or mechanical works is completed and they can return the truck to their fleet. They invaded my credit card for 4300.00. My bank refused to return the charges. Complaints to various government agencies did nothing. Be careful with these slimy b-stards. They seem nice but you're actually swimming with sharks.

You only get one first post and you wasted it dredging up an eight year old thread.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    I've had several very bad experiences with U-Haul, and several very good experiences with Penske. No experience with Budget.

If ever moving again or for some reason needing to rent a moving truck, Penske it is!

edit: sure, old thread, but whatever. I'm not doing anythting else today!
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    May 2013

No good in the here and now

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    You only get one first post and you wasted it dredging up an eight year old thread.
    Yeah well I'm getting screwed by Penske now not 8 years in the past. My time machine is in the garage getting an oil change and a lube so I can't currently shuttle back in time to make it more appropos. I only came on your site by searching for Penske sux. If you don't want 8 year old posts commented on then remove them before they reach that ripe old age. Phhhhhffft. I won't bother you again since you seem to be rather testy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The price depends on where they are trying to route trucks to. If you're moving from a city/area where trucks are stacked up and "not moving", to a more popular area, you will get a good deal. Likewise, if you're moving from a "productive" area to a "BFE" area, you will pay for the extended period of idle time that you are sending that equipment into. All of the truck rental companies calculate their rates with this in mind, trying to keep their trucks and trailers in "productive" areas. All of the other stuff said above is true, but UHaul's One Way trucks are way better than they were in 2005. All 3 companies also manage to pizs off their fair share of customers because "moving sucks" bad enough without the added stress of a botched reservation or a mechanical problem. I'm only adding to this ressurected off-topic thread due to over 10 yrs of insight on how these bastages do bussiness

Give it a crank
    Great experience with Penske too. I was able to get everything I needed for a move from TX to AZ several years ago, I recall their service as being just perfect. They arranged to have a crew at each end, both showed up as planned and got everything loaded and unloaded fast and easy.

Somewhere around El Paso I got a flat tire on the car trailer I was pulling in the middle of the night. I drove the rest of the night till I reached their first listed emergency repair shop in my direction. The quickly fixed it and I didn't have to pay a dime.