SS in CO

Oregon or Utah...

ok, so we've kinda narrowed it down to either oregon or utah. I know, I know, they weren't really in the question before, but that's what we've been talking about for the honeymoon. so where is better for riding? and what specific locations would be good to go to? I don't know much about oregon except what I've seen of washington, and I've never been to utah, but I hear it's got some good riding. so I appreciate any comments on where to ride and which is better. thanks!
    are you a bike shop owner? or a custom builder? I want to talk to you about your website

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayson44
    ok, so we've kinda narrowed it down to either oregon or utah. I know, I know, they weren't really in the question before, but that's what we've been talking about for the honeymoon. so where is better for riding? and what specific locations would be good to go to? I don't know much about oregon except what I've seen of washington, and I've never been to utah, but I hear it's got some good riding. so I appreciate any comments on where to ride and which is better. thanks!
    Well, it depends on what you're looking for. Utah has the red rock, canyon, Manti La Sal mountains (near Moab), and much more. That is great stuff. Oregon has lots of variety, and on the west side it's green (temperate rain forest). I suggest you go on the regional boards and look for threads with photos of each area. In W. OR, look for posts by Sasquatch, a DOD rider who submits lots of photos on the Passion, Oregon, and Singlespeed boards. The variety here still amazes me after 21 years of riding MTB here.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    What time of year?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    What time of year?
    Good point Nat.

I will also add to look at Lef-T's threads for W. OR photos.

Nat, who else posts from Central/Eastern OR? Photos of your sweet stuff on the other side of the divide?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudflaps
    Good point Nat.

I will also add to look at Lef-T's threads for W. OR photos.

Nat, who else posts from Central/Eastern OR? Photos of your sweet stuff on the other side of the divide?
    Oops, forgot to mantion that Lef-T posts in the singlespeed forum.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    The riding is not better or worse in either state. It is just different. Really depends on what you are looking for.

Time of year is a big factor, especially in Oregon.

I started riding mtbs 22 years ago here in Oregon and I am still finding new and different trails within 75 miles of home.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Both have great riding.
    Most of the riding in Oregon seems to be in the northern part so hitting southern Washington could be an option.

We tend to go to Utah for the big trips since its so far and more of a committment. We will ride oregon as part of a shorter trip since it is closer to us.

While not Oregon - This is a MUST ride:
    http://www.leelau.net/2003/mtsthelens/mtsthelens.htm

Mckenzie River Trail is another must ride.
    http://www.leelau.net/2000andprior/oregon/oregon.htm

Lee proposed to me in Utah, we tend to go back there every other year:
    http://www.leelau.net/2000andprior/place/theplace.htm

http://www.leelau.net/2003/Utah/Moab/moab.htm

http://www.leelau.net/2005/Utah2005/...5/parkcity.htm

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Look up Central OR pics by searching posters SLinBend, Tappoix, tberg, mtbzone, PinsNeedles, cross4, GlowBoy and inkpad. Who did I leave out?

Quote Originally Posted by Brodiegrrl
    Both have great riding.
    Most of the riding in Oregon seems to be in the northern part so hitting southern Washington could be an option.
    "Most" of the Oregon rides are not in the northern parts. Most of the population is around Portland. The great trails are everywhere with some concentrated areas with many ride options (Hood River, Oakridge, Bend).
    mtbtires.com

SS in CO
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    "Most" of the Oregon rides are not in the northern parts. Most of the population is around Portland. The great trails are everywhere with some concentrated areas with many ride options (Hood River, Oakridge, Bend).
    I think we'll be looking to go sometime in april or may. getting married beginning of april, so sometime soon after that. I'm really not sure where to go, so would portland be good? which has more mountains? Utah seems like it would, but once again, I have no idea. we like mountains and being from nebraska, we've had about enough flat as we can handle. so mountains would be good. thanks for the ideas!
    are you a bike shop owner? or a custom builder? I want to talk to you about your website

Just another Homer
    Having lived in both states, I'd say Oregon is where I'd go. Just make sure you plan it for the two weeks of summer they get.j/k.I think they may get 3 now with global warming and all.
    Both have mountains, but Utah has more of a desert western type of feel to it as Oregon can't be beat for their rainforest.I didn't ride when I lived in either state,but I did hike Oregon extensively and there are just so many trails. I perferred the ones off the beaten path and these require a little bit of driving. You'd be suprized that once you are over 50 miles from Portland nobody seems to be using the trails. My favorites were in the Columbia Gorge. Trails that seem to go on forever. We spent two weeks hiking there and it still is one of the highlights of my life.
    I grew up in SoCal, so even though I love the desert, the rainforest seems so much prettier. The desert is what I've been used to most my life so I'm probably biased. Either one though,you really can't lose.
    I may not be as good as I once was.
    But I'm as good once, as I ever was.
    Toby Keith

Who's that guy?
    While either place would be great, going to Utah, specifically Moab, has one HUGE advantage over Oregon...Fruita, CO is only an hour away.

And right when you are considering going is when the annual Fruita Fat Tire Festival happens. Good times.

Either way, you can't go wrong.

Congrats on the upcoming wedding!

Dave
    [SIZE=2]
    Slow and steady gets you...7th place.
    [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]"Hey! Where is everybody going??"[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Jayson44
    I think we'll be looking to go sometime in april or may. getting married beginning of april, so sometime soon after that. I'm really not sure where to go, so would portland be good? which has more mountains? Utah seems like it would, but once again, I have no idea. we like mountains and being from nebraska, we've had about enough flat as we can handle. so mountains would be good. thanks for the ideas!
    Plenty o' mountains in both states.

A couple of Oregon Cascades pics below. The first pic is the backside and near the top of the mountain in the second pic.

In April/May you may be better off in Utah. Oregon weather can be wet and unpredictable and some of the best rides are still under snow.

Moab/Frutia would be great. I love the trails at Frutia.
    Arches and Canyonlands National Parks are right there (at Moab) and well worth the trip even though bikes are not allowed on dirt in the parks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    mtbtires.com

Nat
    Solo contendre
    In April/May the safer bet would be to go to Utah since it'll be drier there. You could go to Moab/Fruita, then hit the hot springs at Glenwood Springs on the way back through Colorado.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

UT gets the nod...

I have also lived in both Oregon and in Utah, and while both places have great rides, in April or May I would choose Utah, especially the southern half of the state. Most places in Oregon will still be either too wet or too cold.

Here's some pics I posted over on the Oregon board of a trip we took last September. We were based in Sunriver (just south of Bend) and did day trips out to various trails.

Oregon Vacation Pics

Utah and Oregon are both great states for a MTB vacation. I would let the time of year decide where you go and visit one with the knowledge that you will get out to the other at some point.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Look up Central OR pics by searching posters SLinBend, Tappoix, tberg, mtbzone, PinsNeedles, cross4, GlowBoy and inkpad. Who did I leave out?
    Thanks for the reply Nat. Nice ride on the MRT today. Started in the rain at ~ 45 degrees, but the weather got better We went from Belknap up until the snow got too deep to ride through easily (a little below Deer Cr), went back and continued on down almost to the bottom, then back to the vehicles. The riders were Sparticus, Wreckless, Rockhound and Candy, Sasquatch and I.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slow up slow down
    I have also lived in both Oregon and in Utah, and while both places have great rides, in April or May I would choose Utah, especially the southern half of the state. Most places in Oregon will still be either too wet or too cold.
    I'd like to get to Utah in the spring some year. SlowUp and Nat are calling it well considering the timing. I would like to see the desert in bloom.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Plenty o' mountains in both states.

A couple of Oregon Cascades pics below. The first pic is the backside and near the top of the mountain in the second pic.

In April/May you may be better off in Utah. Oregon weather can be wet and unpredictable and some of the best rides are still under snow.

Moab/Frutia would be great. I love the trails at Frutia.
    Arches and Canyonlands National Parks are right there (at Moab) and well worth the trip even though bikes are not allowed on dirt in the parks.
    Shiggy, Is that the Wolfe in the second shot?

Shiggy, Is that the Wolfe in the second shot?
    Nope. It is a new-at-the-time Paul's employee whose name has slipped my mind. This was last July.
    mtbtires.com

Portland, OR
    I've ridden in utah, and I live in Oregon. It depends on wich time of the year you are wanting to go. I dont know about eastern Oregon, like Bend, sunriver, the Wallowas ETC. but whare I live ( west linn, its around Portland ) most of the trails are really flooded or very muddy. In the summer though ? I would EASILY take Oregon over utah.
    [SIZE="4"]Ibex bikes[/SIZE]

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1