Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Ohh Gnarly!!
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    wtf is a carney??

father, mountain biker
    wtf is a carney??
    Here in the US, you find them running carnival ripoff games, trolling renaissance fairs, and lurking on the outskirts of dead shows. Here's what the urban dictionary says... not my words, not sure I even understand all the variations and references. Point is they are universally unliked people.

Urban Dictionary: carny

1. freak

2. Someone who works at a carnival
    I saw an extremely fat and tugley carny with unusually small eyes which got much bigger when it smelled my popcorn.

3. A carnival worker, often running the mechanical rides, who likes to hit on teenage, or younger, females. They are generally not clean people, and will buy alcohol in exchange for companionship.

4. Carnival Folk, one with small hands and freakish appearance to be laughed at by normal people

5. In Europe a carny is a scary person who is on the darker, wilder side of the crusty world.

6. Typically wearing dreadlocks, goatie beards, stripey pants, various small bells, and pointy shoes, they are often skilled in juggling or fire breathing.

7. Commonly found all over Europe but particulary in Czeck Republic, Germany and Norway, not neccessarily having been born there.

8. They live in a world of red mushrooms with white spots, jesters, gnomes, trolls, dwarfs, chainmail, pointless medievil references and bad music.

9. They play freaky variants of guitars and mandolins and often speak in rhymes or riddles.

10. They are rarely seen on TV, One appeared on Ali G, singing a song about "the pixie people"

11. They dont listen to CDs, opting to play their own freaky rubbish. The closest thing to carny music you might find is a band called "folque" -

12. Middle class guy on holiday in Prague:
    "Oh no, here comes another f&*kin carny"
    Last edited by shredjunkie; 08-07-2012 at 07:40 AM.
    "He seems quite arrogant and ignores quite some valid points." -Millfox
    "I don't like you" -ne_dan

father, mountain biker
    Cornfield... excellent reference. Wish I'd thought of that.
    "He seems quite arrogant and ignores quite some valid points." -Millfox
    "I don't like you" -ne_dan

~ B A D A S S ~
    OK i think I understand now hahahaha.

"They live in a world of red mushrooms with white spots" these are the best, yummy yummy

Amanita muscaria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    wtf is a carney??
    Carnivale HBO trailer promo - YouTube

^These folks^
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by rev106 View Post
    I feel the bike industry is out of control with forcing new on to us, and it is up to us to do or at least say something about it.
    The industry is giving us what they think we want. The only way to effectively tell them we don't want it is to not buy it.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    OK i think I understand now hahahaha.

"They live in a world of red mushrooms with white spots" these are the best, yummy yummy

Amanita muscaria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I remember finding some Amanita muscaria out hiking not too long ago. I was happy to see them, really! It had been some time. Though I hope you know that those aren't for consuming. The muscimol in them is pretty terrible for you. Finding real magic mushrooms is easier than these guys, in my experience, because these you have to actually find growing.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Yeah I know these are dangerous, this is the first mushroom you are taught never to touch when you are a kid. The vikings supposedly ate them, and if one viking survived the experience it was then considered safe to drink his urine to get the same effect.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

bringer of doom
    OP, I have a sizable collection of classic rarities and exotic vintage MTB's, and love them for what they are as well (though, a lot of what we rode then could be considered off-road capable road bikes). ...but I've also wound up in scary sections well beyond my ability where the performance capabilities of a modern DH bike were not just apparent, but neck-saving.

I work as a design consultant between a few co's. Every time we sit down to hash out a new suspension concept, we go through standards gridlock. Nobody likes it. What's a bit depressing is that there ARE great solutions already in existence to the modern design issues brought about by suspension and big wheels which these "standards" were created to solve. Just, not yet all in one place, readily available, compatible with each other, or well-understood/marketable. So instead of building the ultimate bike, every manufacturer in the biz has to waste thousands of hours obsessing over which pile of compromises they're going to endorse. However, if every MFG were to unite behind a set of standards, making things a lot more convenient & less $ for new bikes, it instantly relegates millions of bikes built around these myriad interim standards to obsolescence when component MFG's stop producing compatible product. Whatever happens, it's going to be ugly. But keep in mind, there are very few companies "making millions" on this stuff. Most of us barely eke out a living. It's not a colossal conspiracy to screw you, most of design is trying to make bikes lighter, more durable, less expensive, and lastly, still somehow compatible with old bb shells from road bikes 30 years ago. Bikes just aren't perfect enough that anyone can ride one and not find some way of improving it.

Check back in in another 5 years when things are a bit more ironed out, and go for a test ride. If your classic ride is sufficient, enjoy it, and take comfort in the knowledge that your bikes don't have issues that need complicated solutions, and even as you wear out gearing, you'll never exhaust the production capacity of Phil Wood, Chris King, & Paul Component, whose "obsolete" component lines are still the finest made in the entire biz, and still sell like hotcakes.
    Last edited by p.doering; 08-08-2012 at 01:46 PM.
    Ride on, Anthony.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I dont read this forum much at all, but I had to respond to the OP

I DO agree with you to a point. Especially after selling a fork with a 20mm thru axle and buying another with a 15mm thru axle. New front wheel here we come-lol.

I kind of agree 21 speeds were enough, as long as the high and low gears could be what we have now.

I have been riding since before suspension. I remember the first Rockshox. Everyone wanted a fork that didnt dare move when pedaling.

Now its years later, I still ride at all the same places. And l wouldnt give up my full suspension 29er with disc brakes for anything-lol. Its not the fact that I can ride faster. Its just more damn fun. If anything we ride slower now, playing on the technical parts of the trail.

I am not one of those guys that always has to have to latest and greatest stuff, if anything I'm usually the holdout. But like many of the posters mentioned, no one is forcing you to buy anything.

Thinking about it, I'm not sure I'd still be riding now if it wasnt for the changes in the industry. My body couldnt handle it-lol

Tom

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I agree with the bottom bracket "standards". There are so many bottom bracket sizes these days it's hard to keep up. There are really three standards that I can think of 1) square taper 2) IsIs and outboard bearing. They are widely accepted and can be found in almost any shop.

Trek have at least 4 standard BB according to them. Cannondale has the BB30 which I almost consider a standard since it has been around so long.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rev106 View Post
    An open letter to the bike industry

Dear Bike Industry,

I’m beginning to feel that you don’t have myself and my fellow rider’s best interest at heart, all you seem to be interested in is creating new “standards” and try to force people to buy them under the auspice that the new “standard” is better than before. I would like to think that most cyclists are a savvy bunch, but we do glom onto new tech with eagerness, a fault that you (the bicycle industry) seems more than happy to exploit.
    Every year there’s a new bottom bracket “standard”. Something becomes a standard once it is in wide, common, and accepted use like a square taper bb. I have never felt the need to put any of these new, false standards on my bike instead of using a tried and true standard. I think you need to think about how you label all of these pointless bottom bracket options out there. The advantages are nominal to the rider, and only serve to create more niche markets and confuse new riders that get overwhelmed by all the “standards” that have been made. Shame on you. The people that can really gain any benefit if at all from any of these alleged improvements are pro racers, and pro races get their bikes and parts for free, we, the majority of the bike buying public have to pay for our stuff. Did my square tape bb suddenly stop working after years of loyal service and 1000’s of miles? No, it did not. My mountain bike is old for sure and my friends that have newer bikes are still behind me just like they are before they had a new bike with all of the new “improvements” in technology, I expected them to leave me in the dust being that I have only 21 speeds and they 30, but alas it did not happen. I also find it funny that I having 21 speeds never once thought I could make this traverse or climb that section of trail if I only had some more gears, and now you try and sell me less gears in the form of a 2 x10 drive train for more money than my 21 gears, do you take me for a fool? Shame on you bike industry. I can go on, how lame and pointless 31.8 bars are and how ugly they look, or how a 200 dollar seat post that drops can’t beat a 10 buck quick release seat post clamp and to take the 10 seconds to take in the view before you drop in is worth way more than another lever do-hickey on your bike, are you really that lazy? And the 29 wheels, really? Every time I see some poor 5.5” guy on a 29er, I just feel like the bike industry is made up of carneys and we are it’s willing dupes. And these massive head tube bearings they look like the wheel bearings in my van, there’s no way you can convince me I “need” that junk. At some point I just feel like you think I’m an idiot they will buy anything that you put before me, I think you think so little of us as a group that one can keep changing things endlessly chasing one’s tail in the pointless quest of improving something that needs no improvement, even the bike magazines are getting weary of your cavalcade of falsehoods, they are usually your ever loyal heralds but that is even changing.
    I turned away from mountain biking magazines for few years and when I came back, mountain bikes no longer existed. There are xc, all mountain, free ride, downhill, etc. but there are no “mountain bikes” anymore. I still own and use a mountain bike, I understand that by creating labels and slicing the pie in ever-smaller slices you can perhaps sucker someone into buying a bunch of bikes that only get used for one type of trail. I guess that’s clever marketing and sales go up, but I think in doing so you alienate the beginner that will certainly be confused and intimidated by all the jargon and techo-babble when they go to their local shop and want a “mountain bike” Shame on you bike industry, I think you need a time-out to think about what you’ve done.

I hope that your "van" is from the 1960's, does not have an automatic transmission nor air conditioning. Furthermore, I hope that you have nothing but an AM radio as well.

As you proclaim things, anything above the basics is just useless marketing to create profits for the companies!
    BoiseBoy

Feet back and spread 'em!
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    OP, you're never forced to buy anything. Be glad MTB is a progressive sport....and not one mired in abject obsolescence. Mind you, I don't even ride with the latest and greatest...even though I can well afford it. But, since I'll never see myself racing - I'm perfectly happy with my two-year-old FS 26er with eight year-old parts. Why? Because the parts I do have are durable. I will replace them as they break....not with the same, but with 2012+ equivalents.

Your letter will only fall upon deaf ears and eyes. Having the upper edge simply does not mean you need to have the latest 29er with 2x10 componentry....but with what you are safely having enough fun on.
    Exactly, speak with your checkbook. example:.i will never buy carbon because i don't race and don't want to replace parts after minor crashes. i am apparently in the minority.

i like progress. i like disc brakes, 29ers, etc, but i also like square taper, steel, 8-9 speed. buy what works for you. i don't worry about emulating some racer or looking "pro". that's marketing ******** of the highest order.
    the time is right for violent revolution

Feet back and spread 'em!
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bikecop View Post
    Exactly, speak with your checkbook. example:.i will never buy carbon because i don't race and don't want to replace parts after minor crashes. i am apparently in the minority.

i like progress. i like disc brakes, 29ers, etc, but i also like square taper, steel, 8-9 speed. buy what works for you. i don't worry about emulating some racer or looking "pro". that's marketing ******** of the highest order.
    i've been auto-bleeped. how lame.
    the time is right for violent revolution

Thread Terrorist
    Why is my motorola startac so awesome?
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

pyroclastic flow
    I will agree with so many companies deciding what is better is BS. However we are ultimately benefiting from all of this technology.
    The "used market" is where we are really benefitting from! You can find so many great deals on everything because someone is "chasing" technology.
    My advice is to become very familiar with the industry and follow the trends, dont bite until you are ready and its ironed itself out. Also work on your bikes!!! get tools!!! its so rewarding and you wont be at the mercy of someone else. Be a responsible person!!!
    I understand the pain of wanting to stay primitive and when something breaks you are forced to buy the new standard because either they dont make it anymore or it doesnt fit.

Dont just say its an awesome upgrade unless you can really feel it!!! A lot of people just take the bait and are really fooled into thinking its the "monkeys nuts" just because they read an article from a bike mag stating it is so great. People dont think for themselves most of the time and follow blindly but act like its their idea...thats what they want you to think.
    This is like all of the damn reality shows and someone is just checking it out because its LIVE ACTION. All we are doing is making networks want to make horrible fake reality shows and we are left with junk.

That being said....OP lets race and ill show you how new technology has helped me become faster and safer as well as happy, you are pissed because everytime you want something that looks great you are reminded of what a curmudgeon you are and you cant afford it.
    "THE FACT IS THIS FRICTION WILL ONLY BE WORN BY PERSISTENCE"
    2009 PIVOT MACH 4

No longer a hardtailkid.
    To the OP: I am just going to take a wild guess here... you are an engineer!

Another guess... you must know more about the mechanics of a bike than I or any of the other mechanics at my shop!
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonys
    Its still just the push of a button away...
    I am no longer a hardtailkid. 2012 Trek Remedy 9!

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Hey, Bike Industry here-we got your letter

YEAH
    thanks

I'm SUCH a square....
    I'm a lot less concerned about what's newest, brightest, bestest, etc., than I am about the good stuff that fell by the wayside over the years.

I ride an ISIS crankset/BB; I'm getting a little concerned! I've been looking, and ISIS is getting pretty rare; AFAIC, it's better than Octalink, but external BB has taken over (and don't get me started about BB30/whatever). A lot of things I mourn are brand-specific (Santa Cruz dropped the VP-Free, and developed the Nomad -- I'd like to have BOTH! Manitou's Travis line has VANISHED....), but things like that damned 142 rearend standard just ruffle me.

I can see the advantage to a tapered steerer in some apps; but DAMN, standardize the headset! Standard cups top & bottom, or zero-stack top & bottom, let's just make it right!
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by troyer2112 View Post
    I will agree with so many companies deciding what is better is BS. However we are ultimately benefiting from all of this technology.
    The "used market" is where we are really benefitting from! You can find so many great deals on everything because someone is "chasing" technology.
    My advice is to become very familiar with the industry and follow the trends, dont bite until you are ready and its ironed itself out. Also work on your bikes!!! get tools!!! its so rewarding and you wont be at the mercy of someone else. Be a responsible person!!!
    I understand the pain of wanting to stay primitive and when something breaks you are forced to buy the new standard because either they dont make it anymore or it doesnt fit.

Dont just say its an awesome upgrade unless you can really feel it!!! A lot of people just take the bait and are really fooled into thinking its the "monkeys nuts" just because they read an article from a bike mag stating it is so great. People dont think for themselves most of the time and follow blindly but act like its their idea...thats what they want you to think.
    This is like all of the damn reality shows and someone is just checking it out because its LIVE ACTION. All we are doing is making networks want to make horrible fake reality shows and we are left with junk.

That being said....OP lets race and ill show you how new technology has helped me become faster and safer as well as happy, you are pissed because everytime you want something that looks great you are reminded of what a curmudgeon you are and you cant afford it.

ONE speed under God.
    Jul 2012
    Maybe I'm old school, or maybe I just don't get it, but OPs letter sounds like one big whine without any point at all. I don't know the first thing about bb taper, 92 bearings or any of the other minutiae he's talking about. Nor do I understand the whining about all new parts out there that may or may not be better than the current parts. You don't like one of the new standards, then don't buy it.

what I DO know is that the improvements in bikes the last 20 years has been vast, and I have a vertitable plethora of choices in bikes, and all the parts I decide to put on them. I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

what I also like is that so many bike parts are interchangeable. You can often take parts from one bike and put it on another bike, or you can buy parts on-line and have a high degree of confidence that those parts will work. In the last six months, I've upgraded my SS 29ER with carbon fork and post, wheels, seat, bashguard, pedals, stem, and probably a few other parts I don't recall offhand. All of these parts were bought online and they all worked. This is really a good thing.

So if I missed the point please let me know --- without anonymous neg rep please. And finally to OP, paragraph breaks are your friend, and the friend of everyone trying to get through your wall of text.
    Nashbar SS 29er
    K2 FS Attack
    Cannondale R600

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bigpedaler View Post
    I ride an ISIS crankset/BB; I'm getting a little concerned! I've been looking, and ISIS is getting pretty rare; AFAIC, it's better than Octalink, but external BB has taken over (and don't get me started about BB30/whatever).
    Why do you think ISIS is better than octalink?
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Here here!

RideDirt
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    why do you think isis is better than octalink?

+1 :d

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigpedaler View Post
    .................................................. ..............................
    I ride an ISIS crankset/BB; I'm getting a little concerned! I've been looking, and ISIS is getting pretty rare; .................................................. ................
    I would disagree that ISIS is getting hard to find. It seems to me that the bottom brackets are available all over the place. That said, finding a GOOD one is another matter.

My brother and I both still run ISIS BB in our singlespeeds. We were both about to give up on ISIS because it was nearly impossible to get a bottom bracket that would last more than a summer. The Crank Brothers BB with the 5 year warranty seemed like the answer, but they were the worst. I had one that only made it about 2 months. After a couple cycles of that, I got tired of warrantying it and sold the thing.

I like the Middleburn cranks I have, but I was about ready to stick them on e-bay and go to square taper. Then I heard that SKF was making ISIS bottom brackets. I know SKF stuff from work and they make excellent stuff. The bottom bracket is no different. Excellent quality and serviceable.

They are a little hard to find sometimes, but get one. Compass Bicycles: Bottom Brackets

I see new ones on e-bay from a bike shop in Australia from time to time if you can't find anybody that has one in stock here.

We installed the SKF units in our bikes at the same time. That was 5 years ago and they are both still going strong.

We fell for the upgrade to the new standard stuff because it is better and found out it was BS. But, I will run the parts as long as I can.

If these SKF bottom brackets ever give out and I can't find another one, then I will upgrade my cranks. Probably with the latest, greatest best new "standard" thing that is out when that time comes
    I'm not very smart, but I can lift heavy things

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast