Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Dear Redline and Profile,

Thanks for pushing splined cranksets in the early 80's. Square taper blew then and it still does.

-The guy who stopped reading the rant and rolled his eyes when he got to "square taper".

mtbr member

Listen!

My bike is now way more reliable than the ones i used to have in the 80s 90s and 2ks...
    So i'm all for evolution and progressions of bike parts.

Thers are still a few things that are a bit stupid with new standards...bb30 for example...the need for bigger bearings made the bb30 happen, why not use the bmx bb size instead of starting another size!?
    expensive cars are a waste of money. Expensive bikes...not so much!

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Just don't give into technology, buy the stuff you want, ride the stuff you wanna ride. It's tested for years and if you work on it youself you should have aquired the tools and knowledge so it should be second nature by now!

Tech is good...problem is my riding rigid, v brake mt bikes is a great thing, but can I get a technological update on the "dirt" I ride on? LMAO

WTB...Saab 2 stroke car

mtbr member
    The bike industry needs to make money .... So, yes they will make changes so they can sell $hit.... Make you lead to believe that your bike is crap.... All industries do this...

I personally think any cassette with more than 7 gears is completely unnecessary... same goes for hydraulic disc brakes... I mean really... hyrdaulic disc brakes on a bicycle ??? maybe if the rider is over 300 lbs... I've never once had issues or complaints with V brakes...

I started mountain biking in 1992 so maybe I am becoming one of those geezers who is always complaining and not embracing change ... But this is how I honestly feel...

I am learning to like the 29 inch wheel... It definitely has it's beneficial uses...

Also, suspension fork technology has improved a lot and become more affordable...

mtbr member
    Oh and one more thing....

Doesn't it seem too coincidental that the push/fad for 29 inch wheels happened right around the time the economy tanked (2008)....

????

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moonraker View Post
    It's the marketing and advertising that annoys the crap outta me. I got a subscription to BIKE magazine the beginning of this year, and I thought it was neat...at first. Now I can barely stand to look thru it. All the shiny ads, the coddled bike testers, the constant pics of beautiful B.C.'s north shore. It all makes me feel unworthy on my 5 year old bike, riding thru the same old scenery.
    I definitely am not a fan of marketing and advertising, but by letting those ads affect your emotions, you're giving pictures on pieces of paper way too much power. Ads in the magazines help keep the price of the magazine down. Your rant would not be much different from me starting to complain about all the ads posted on this site. It's just how it is. Pedal along and have fun!
    Last edited by dirtdan; 07-18-2012 at 09:54 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I think(may be wrong) the idea was "standards" and not progress. Standard means it's universal. I think that was the point....................... but maybe not
    2007 Cdale Caffeine 29er Lefty.
    "Your not going to shove you're proper grammer down are throats!!"

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Say what you want but progress will happen with or without our blessing. While it obviously has something to do with marketing or corporate greed or whatever else you want to call it, it also has to do with human nature. We always want to improve on what we already have. So what if they come up with 99 bad ideas if the 100th really does work and makes life better (biking or any other application you want to insert here). Ask all the soldiers coming home with missing limbs if they would prefer new, modern prosthetics or stick with the technology of decades past.

Also, not all companies are jumping on the new technology to screw the consumers. I wish I knew how to post links to videos but there is one on YouTube where a Santa Cruz rep talks specifically about not going with a press in BB on the Highball because the benefit was marginal at best and it limited user serviceability.

banned
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jfryauff View Post
    seriously, i'm going to have "entrance of the gladiators" playing in my head everytime i hoist my 5' 8" body onto my 29'er.

truth
    lol

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Dear Redline and Profile,

Thanks for pushing splined cranksets in the early 80's. Square taper blew then and it still does.

-The guy who stopped reading the rant and rolled his eyes when he got to "square taper".
    Yup, he lost me at square taper as well. Splined were a huge improvement.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmayeux View Post
    I personally think any cassette with more than 7 gears is completely unnecessary... same goes for hydraulic disc brakes... I mean really... hyrdaulic disc brakes on a bicycle ??? maybe if the rider is over 300 lbs...
    Try a long or really fast downhill on v-brakes, or some really wet riding. V-brakes just don't get it done in those conditions, though they're still fine for XC.

Quote Originally Posted by brianmayeux View Post
    Doesn't it seem too coincidental that the push/fad for 29 inch wheels happened right around the time the economy tanked (2008)....
    29" wheels on mountain bikes were around a lot longer than then.

mtbr member
    "My mountain bike is old for sure and my friends that have newer bikes are still behind me just like they are before they had a new bike with all of the new “improvements” in technology, I expected them to leave me in the dust being that I have only 21 speeds and they 30, but alas it did not happen. "

Have you ever stopped to think that maybe you are in better physical shape than your friends? I've ridden with dudes that have single speeds that have mopped the floor with me and I struggle to keep up. My new bike must be crap. because i can't keep up with people that are in way better shape the me....

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Oh the "evil" corporate "greed". Let's not make money. Heaven forbid. That would be awful to sell things, create jobs, and create wealth. I shudder at the thought.
    2007 Cdale Caffeine 29er Lefty.
    "Your not going to shove you're proper grammer down are throats!!"

no trees are safe
    I totally dont agree on the hydraulic brakes part. Its something great and although the maintenance is a bit timely it ads a great deal of modulation to the braking power.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Dude I totally love my dropper post lol
    Main bike : Altitude RSL 70 '11
    DH bike : Aurum 2 '12

~ B A D A S S ~
    I also took a break from riding a few years, and when I returned I found out I liked lock on grips, hydros, good platform pedals, riser bars. Well there is a lot of more stuff to choose from now, there are hundreds of bars, steel, ti, alu 10 differenrt grades, sweeps and swoops and god knows what.

But some things I see as definite downtrades or at least quite annoying, and because there are so many standards to keep track of you seriously need to spend some SERIOUS damn time to find out what you need and whats actually good (good=durable). Can't really say I care for Carbon or alu frames, Carbon components, 9sp, 10sp or lol 11sp. Suspension. 29ers, 650b (but I like the look of that size wheels, and I buy lots of stuff becuse i like the look of it), outboard bb bearings, pedals that need special shoes and so on. But I'm not racing so I could care less about most things really.

I like a solid feel and unbreakableness. And I feel the bikes made in 1990-1992 or thereabout wins in the looks department over almost all new bikes. someone needs to put bikes that looks like that into production again, but using new components and tech of course (and ditch the foot long stems plz).

Am I a retro grouch? I'm only allowed to post in the VRC forum now? Maybe a little. Different horses for different courses! Some like carbon I like clean and classy looks.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I get the OP's point to a point.....but I like technological progress! I have a new fork (as well as an old one), a 29er, discs on both bikes, etc, and the new cranks out there have to be stiffer than my old square taper ones, and 36/12 cassettes are most definitely a nice wide range that I'd like to try ( I still run 8 speed on one bike and IGH on the other).

New can be good but what bothers me is so many of the 'improvements' the manufacturers push really aren't. I started with standard MTB cranks with 110/74 BCD and soon faced with 94/58? BCD compact which isn't compatible. This was marketed as good for ground clearance but the smaller cassettes that came with compact wore out quicker than standard. Then the new stuff came out and I'm actually unsure of the 4 arm sizes since I'm using the former two on the 29er and 26er. How exactly is 4 arm an improvement over 5? I don't recall people bending rings with 5 arm cranks....

The PM vs IS mount garbage is another example. One of the big fork players didn't like IS and used its marketing power to change the standard. Why? Brakes? They are really not that hard to set up. IS stands for ISO which is the whole damn point of having a standard! The only upside for me is the 180MM rotor and post mount adaptor providing better XTR power on my 29er.

Not much else to say since I generally like progress....

Drew
    occasional cyclist

Wolf nipple chips
    This thread is the most amazing string of drivel I've ever read. Geez, this stuff isn't that hard to sort through - you'd think most of you didn't graduate from 5th grade. Let us not forget all the other BB standards and headset standards of yore - italian/english/french/swiss/chater lea/raleigh/"evolution"/klein-press-fit bottom brackets, and don't forget all the various 1" headset variations.

Isn't anyone going to give thanks that our industry finally settled on 2 main wheel sizes - 26 and 700c? Do any of you even realize how many different wheel/tire sizes there have been over the years? Tire Sizing Systems

I also love how many of you think that all these new BB and headset standards are making bike shops and dealers rich. Because shops love having to having to stock 30 different BB standards, even the useless ones, just because someone may need it some day.

Besides, we're feeding the OP troll.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Dear Mt Bike rider

Please understand as a mfg we need to constantly change our offerings in order to sell new bikes. If we did not give you the ability to show off bling to your buddies at the trail head you would never buy a new bike. We also understand that the vast majority of you suck and buy a bike that well exceeds your abilities. It is common knowledge that the avg rider is a cheap **** and will buy our products from an Internet site then whine when it fails and the LBS won't warranty it. Our engineers strive to build a sub 30# bike that will take 12' drops with a 230# rider or else we fear being lambasted on an Internet forum. It is also important to note that we have about 6 months to reengineer /manufacture new products since you winey ****s need the next model year earlier and earlier so we have limited r&d time. I especially appreciate comments on personal setup like bar withs and seat posts. What works for you MUST work for everyone else. Lastly, we apologize for offering an extremely hi tech product made from specialized materials that ends up being tortured in dirty, wet and dusty environments yet never receives ANY maintenance until it breaks and it's "our" fault.

Sorry
    Mr bike mfg

Just havin fun.... I do agree theres some things that the mfg's should standardize for everyone's sake. Might help with keeping cost down too.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006

FX4
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    That was good.
    Quote Originally Posted by 440fish View Post
    Dear Mt Bike rider

Please understand as a mfg we need to constantly change our offerings in order to sell new bikes. If we did not give you the ability to show off bling to your buddies at the trail head you would never buy a new bike. We also understand that the vast majority of you suck and buy a bike that well exceeds your abilities. It is common knowledge that the avg rider is a cheap **** and will buy our products from an Internet site then whine when it fails and the LBS won't warranty it. Our engineers strive to build a sub 30# bike that will take 12' drops with a 230# rider or else we fear being lambasted on an Internet forum. It is also important to note that we have about 6 months to reengineer /manufacture new products since you winey ****s need the next model year earlier and earlier so we have limited r&d time. I especially appreciate comments on personal setup like bar withs and seat posts. What works for you MUST work for everyone else. Lastly, we apologize for offering an extremely hi tech product made from specialized materials that ends up being tortured in dirty, wet and dusty environments yet never receives ANY maintenance until it breaks and it's "our" fault.

Sorry
    Mr bike mfg

Just havin fun.... I do agree theres some things that the mfg's should standardize for everyone's sake. Might help with keeping cost down too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I like free market and innovation. I don't see a problem here. The free market will sort out itself

too much bike love
    Recently replaced my 1995 Stumpjumper with a 2012 Stumpjumper 29er. It's faster, more comfortable, and the stiff front end with its plush suspension fork total saved my bacon last week while I was ripping down a long, steep, and very bumpy downhill. Had I been on my 1995 Stump, I would have been head over heals. I was amazed at (and very grateful for) how the 2012 Stump's front end tracked like I was on pavement and let me regain control.

Also enjoy the realization every time I pull the brake lever I'm not wearing away my rim. And brake fade is thankfully becoming a fading memory.

mtbr member
    If it weren't for changing standards, we'd all be on one of these. I wanna watch somebody take a 3' drop on this, or rail a corner at 20 mph, or ride it for more than 5 minutes before loosing feeling in their nether regions...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast