Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16
    ~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by SV11 View Post
    I absolutely hate SRAM shifters with a passion. They are designed for dyslexic people, using the thumb to upshift and downshift is not right, you can't execute fast shitfts either. I have both (shimano and sram shifters), and the sram totally blows. I've tried to live with it for 2 yrs, but I just can't, to me it's not natural. You can't position a sram shifter in the optimal position so your thumb can fall on both paddles. Having your thumb fall on the upshift paddle is great, then you have to reroute your thumb to get to the downshift paddle, not cool. It's not an optimal system if you need to take your thumb/finger off one paddle to get to the other paddle. I'll go with ergonomics this time.
    FYI I friend of mine bought a scott scale and wanted me to have a look at it. I adjusted the whole bike and made sure everything was safe (such as the headset with 5mm play!!!).

And then we came to the shifters, shimano xt or similar, the ones thet you can operate both with your thumbs and the index finger. He really liked the index finger shifting, but I somehow convinced him thumb/thumb is much better since you only use your thumb. I adjusted the angle of the shifter to make this easier and I heard no complaints about it since.

I'd go so far as to say thumb/thumb shifting is one of the most revolutionary things that has ever happend to mtbs. I hate twisters with a passion, but index/thumb is like one ppm away in the retarded category if you ask me. And this also happens to be the only thing of any kind of value/improvement to the riders that sram actually contributed to mountainbiking.

But its big if you ask me. Its about the same level of importance as hydro disc brakes. IMO.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    For the same reasons that upside down forks, disc brakes, liquid cooling, progressive suspension linkages etc. are standard in the motocross industry and fuel injection, disc brakes, variable valve timing, power steering, ABS, stability/traction control etc. are standard in the auto industry, Tapered headtubes, hydro brakes, disc brakes in general, air spring forks, thru axles, etc. are becoming a new standard in the bike industry. Imagine driving a carburated car, with drums on all fours, with a powerband to try to match with every shift from an unsynced transmission with a goofy clutch, that handles like a boat. Progress sounds like a good idea now eh?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by caid View Post
    For the same reasons that upside down forks, disc brakes, liquid cooling, progressive suspension linkages etc. are standard in the motocross industry and fuel injection, disc brakes, variable valve timing, power steering, ABS, stability/traction control etc. are standard in the auto industry, Tapered headtubes, hydro brakes, disc brakes in general, air spring forks, thru axles, etc. are becoming a new standard in the bike industry. Imagine driving a carburated car, with drums on all fours, with a powerband to try to match with every shift from an unsynced transmission with a goofy clutch, that handles like a boat. Progress sounds like a good idea now eh?
    I drove a 69 bug as my daily driver for ten years until 07, worked just fine, was simple, cheap and very durable, I also put over 200k on a 68 powerwagon only replacing Ujoints, Alternators, fuel pumps, tires and of course belts, to date the bug is the one car I absolutely miss and probably will get another for a main driver.
    Now I have a nice newer Tundra that I cannot do anything to and any repairs run into the 1000s, no argument it is much more comfortable and quiet, but really I got along just fine previously and had I never upgraded to a truck I am afraid to use as a truck, my pocket book would have been quit a bit happier.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The 2x10 or 1x11 systems really do not suit me. I will take a 3x10, but would rather have a 3x7 or 3x8 set with 28/38/48 or 26/36/46 x 11-24 or 11-28 and cranks in 185

29" wheels are nice, each wheel size has its advantages. Unfortunately, I do not see that many 26ers out there, sure a few specialty brands but it seems many of the main line companies have all but abandoned them.

The new tapered head tube is great and should have been done along time ago.

mtbr member
    I like the versatility of my 3x9. I just wish someone made a decent 9 speed 11-36 cassette, instead of 11-34.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

Spandex Ninja
    I agree with the tenor of the OP's letter, but I do like my 29 inch wheels and mech disc brakes. 700c is really nothing new, and IMO disc brakes are safer than v-brakes, etc for MTBing.

Suspension, carbon bits, dropper seatposts, $1,000 wheelsets, 10 speed group, and all the other stuff I can do without....it is not necessary to have a good time on the trail.

Anti-elitist
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by webb-o View Post
    Suspension, carbon bits, dropper seatposts, $1,000 wheelsets, 10 speed group, and all the other stuff I can do without....it is not necessary to have a good time on the trail.
    Ha! Go say that in the AM, XC and WW sections and see what you get!
    It's pronounced "so pro and cool."
    It was an impulse decision.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    I like the versatility of my 3x9. I just wish someone made a decent 9 speed 11-36 cassette, instead of 11-34.
    try lucky nino..i had an 11-36 ti cassette from him. worked well imo.. i did have to have him send a better 11t because the initial one was milled wrong.
    Last edited by rydbyk; 12-13-2012 at 11:21 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by webb-o View Post

Yep, not necessary to have a good time. But it all makes my time much gooder. Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk View Post
    try lucky nino..i had an 11-36 ti cassette from him. worked well imo.. i did have to have him send a better 11t because the initial one was milled wrong.
    Sounds expensive!
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

Anti-elitist
    Sep 2012
    I think there also one Shimano 12 - 36 cassette. HG 61, SLX level, I believe.
    It's pronounced "so pro and cool."
    It was an impulse decision.

mtbr member
    ^ Iv'e seen that. It's pretty heavy. I would like XT level or better, but 12-36 would be fine.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    Yep, not necessary to have a good time. But it all makes my time much gooder. Lol!

Sounds expensive!
    yep. $210. XTR price. i raced it for a season and sold it for about $150. not bad.

Summit Velo
    Ah, Rev, you're missing a little sunshine in your life, I think...

I have an idea. Go look at your bike in the garage, on it's hook or where ever you keep it. Now go watch some of the television coverage of the RedBull Rampage that just happened.

If you can't find it on television (which you probably can't because I'm guessing you've got a 15" black and white Zenith from 1981, right? And, of course, it isn't compatible with HDMI and HD or whatever other artificial "standard" those blood-suckers in the cable tv/electronics industry have cooked up to rook you and me out of our hard earned dollars! ) just head to your local grocery store's magazine aisle. Any one of the shiny, ad-stuffed MTB magazines on sale there will feature multiple full-bleed images of guys hurling themselves off absolutely massive cliffs on... wait for it... mountain bikes.

Now picture one of those guys doing that stuff on your trusty Bridgestone MB-1 from 1990, or whatever it is that you ride. Doesn't really work, does it?

People push boundaries. It's just what we do. Especially young, foolish people with no sense of self preservation who want to get laid by pretty girls they'll invariably meet at the "after party" of the Rampage. Even in Utah. The kids want to go bigger and go faster. Heck, I want to go bigger and faster and I'm 42!

People are doing things today on mountain bikes that were simply unimaginable ten or twenty years ago. The marketplace responds.

Smart engineers and marketing people tasked with selling the products produced by their respective bicycle companies look out at this glorious circus of bike riding that we've all created and work furiously to come up with ideas and products to help us do those crazy things better, easier or faster. If their products are worthy, either by being well engineered, lighter, novel or sometimes just really shiny and cool looking, they find their place in the market and people purchase them.

This is progress in our little corner of the world. You are not required to participate. There is no one checking your bike before you go out for a ride to make sure that you have the latest in mountain bike technology.

But begrudging others their luscious suspension, carbon fiber and dropper posts is just bad form, Rev. We are having a ton of fun riding our amazing bikes up and down terrain that I don't think you are going to be able to enjoy on your older bike. You get to vote with your wallet, same as the rest of us, but when you attempt to call the "bike industry" to the carpet for trying to make a decent living, you just make yourself look like a spiteful grouch.

Enjoy the ride, Rev! And maybe borrow a buddy's over-engineered miracle bike and see what all the fuss is about.

Yours,

Pete

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16