Page 293 of 293 FirstFirst ... 193243283289290291292293
Results 14,601 to 14,641 of 14641
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sXeXBMXer View Post
    What I don't get about desert riding is ...cactuses!
    One time I fell onto a bunch of prickly pear and was pulling inch and a half long thorns out of myself for a month. Moral of story? Don't run into cactus.

I'd rather ride in a 100 degree desert than on frozen tundra, that stuff's for skiing.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    One time I fell onto a bunch of prickly pear and was pulling inch and a half long thorns out of myself for a month. Moral of story? Don't run into cactus.

I'd rather ride in a 100 degree desert than on frozen tundra, that stuff's for skiing.
    Same goes for trees, which I suspect have more structural injury potential than cacti do. Hitting any decent sized tree at speed is a very bad thing. Only the smallest ones have any give to them. Best to avoid it if at all possible.

How about gnarly singletrack that becomes fast and flowy with snow/ice cover? It's like two trails for the price of one! That said, I'm totally enthralled by desert riding and really need to get my carcass out to the southwest and do some. It's so different to anything I'm used to riding.

noob bikepacker
    yeah. I do want to head out west one day and hit some of that terrain, but it would have to be in the winter. I can not get motivated to get out in temps over 60degrees. The other things that definitely mark me as a midwesterner that keep me out of the desert are rattlers and scorpions. Would not want to fall into the path of either of those things! I will stick to the occasional fox, or teen-age gang member/hooligan smoking in the woods as my fauna of choice

I ride my BMX more in the summer, mostly cause the parks are open and ice/water free.

I MTB in the evenings and night in the spring and summer, which is actually sort of cool in both ways.

But give me -10* over anything above 60*. I am the minority in that aspect
    "It's about having pointless fun in the woods...." - Walt
    '15 Surly Krampus
    '87 Mongoose Californian Pro

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    yeah. I do want to head out west one day and hit some of that terrain, but it would have to be in the winter. I can not get motivated to get out in temps over 60degrees. The other things that definitely mark me as a midwesterner that keep me out of the desert are rattlers and scorpions. Would not want to fall into the path of either of those things! I will stick to the occasional fox, or teen-age gang member/hooligan smoking in the woods as my fauna of choice

I ride my BMX more in the summer, mostly cause the parks are open and ice/water free.

I MTB in the evenings and night in the spring and summer, which is actually sort of cool in both ways.

But give me -10* over anything above 60*. I am the minority in that aspect
    I'm actually exactly in your camp with respect to temperature tolerance. If I have to push hard above about 60F I get overheated and end up with an exertion headache. I'm much more comfortable in low temps than in high ones. Last night it was -4C (25F?) and I only wore a light merino undershirt, a long sleeve jersey and a light Goretex shell up top and my regular baggy shorts over bike shorts with lycra long underwear under the baggies (so my lower legs were only covered by the long underwear). I used regular full finger MTB gloves and a very light toque under my helmet. I was bit cold for the first 5 minutes or so and then I actually had to stop and take the toque off.

Now, I have been told that the dryness of the desert can make it feel cooler than the same temp with humidity but I don't see me doing any strenuous riding in 100 degree weather no matter how dry. Our summer temperatures rarely get above the mid-70s.

Anyway, breaking the thread rules here, so I'll shut up now.

mtbr member
    I don't detect any misery....lots of people would rather ride in the snow than the dust. I would imagine a small percentage even like both!

What I don't get about desert riding is ...cactuses! Slamming into a tree is one thing. I could not imagine slamming into or falling into a cactus...to me THAT is misery!
    People ride in cold and snow because that is their only option to ride in winter. I would be out there too if I lived somewhere cold. But I don't know anyone who would rather ride in cold and snow than in shorts and t-shirt weather!

Cactus is seldom an issue on rides unless you go off trail. It keeps you honest. If there was cactus everywhere trails would stay narrower!

I don't like riding in hot temps either. 90F is about my limit for a longer ride. You can get used to the heat though. Friends in Phx still ride when it's 110-115F. I start going up to elevation in summer when it gets hot here. Or stay by the beach.

Scorpions aren't an issue. Rattlers can be kinda scary but I don't see them very often. Personally I am concerned more with ticks, I have found them on me 12mos of the year. But never in the desert!

slow
    Back yard ride went from 10 inches of snow to dry dirt in less than 48 hours thanks to strong winds and a temperature 84F degrees higher than last week's low.
    One picture, one line.  No whining. Something about YOUR last ride. [o]-15875201_10211840444595502_615684400497287595_o.jpg

mtbr member

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

noob bikepacker
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    People ride in cold and snow because that is their only option to ride in winter. I would be out there too if I lived somewhere cold. But I don't know anyone who would rather ride in cold and snow than in shorts and t-shirt weather!
    I know quite a few here in Ohio that do not like to ride in the heat. And for some of us, 20*F is still t-shirt and shorts weather:

first (and probably only) winter ride of the year
    One picture, one line.  No whining. Something about YOUR last ride. [o]-wint4.jpgOne picture, one line.  No whining. Something about YOUR last ride. [o]-wint3.jpg

snow bike angel
    One picture, one line.  No whining. Something about YOUR last ride. [o]-snoangl.jpg

shorts; t-shirt under Novara rain coat; balaklava and bike helmet, and Giro inner shell gloves. 2 hour ride...total heaven. The balkalva is the key: if the back of my neck is warm, my whole body is wark.

I think it depends on where you live, but you are right in that you acclimate to a condition when you have to.

Cactus is seldom an issue on rides unless you go off trail. It keeps you honest. If there was cactus everywhere trails would stay narrower!
    yeah, but with my luck, I would find the only cactus patch in a 10 mile radius!!

I don't like riding in hot temps either. 90F is about my limit for a longer ride. You can get used to the heat though. Friends in Phx still ride when it's 110-115F. I start going up to elevation in summer when it gets hot here. Or stay by the beach.

Scorpions aren't an issue. Rattlers can be kinda scary but I don't see them very often. Personally I am concerned more with ticks, I have found them on me 12mos of the year. But never in the desert!

yeah, I agree ticks are the worst cause they can hide. I also hate horseflies. they will take chunks of skin when they bite...like flying Venus Fly Traps
    '15 Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    La Bella Luna! Been wanting to make this image for ages. Finally found an #MTBGoddess to help :-)

One picture, one line.  No whining. Something about YOUR last ride. [o]-labellaluna.jpg

passed out in your garden
    Testing the new rubber

One picture, one line.  No whining. Something about YOUR last ride. [o]-img_20170113_101756661.jpg
    always mad and usually drunk......

High Desert MTBer
    Desert rider here, temps currently nudging mid 60s right now and I go out in long Nike leggings with liner and shorts, hi collar Nike thermal base top under a bike shirt and midweight fleece, merino buff to keep my neck warm, lighter buff that'll cover my ears if necessary, and gloves with wool liners. I do not like the cold!!! Summertime riding is all good with me up to about 105F, then I just drink a LOT more
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    Desert rider here, temps currently nudging mid 60s right now and I go out in long Nike leggings with liner and shorts, hi collar Nike thermal base top under a bike shirt and midweight fleece, merino buff to keep my neck warm, lighter buff that'll cover my ears if necessary, and gloves with wool liners. I do not like the cold!!! Summertime riding is all good with me up to about 105F, then I just drink a LOT more
    Lol. That sounds like a lot of stuff. What would you wear if you were riding at 20F?

mtbr member
    Happy to see I'm not the only Winter Winnie around here
    2016 SC Heckler R build
    2012 CX Kona Jake

Giggity!

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalhippie13 View Post
    La Bella Luna! Been wanting to make this image for ages. Finally found an #MTBGoddess to help :-)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	labellaluna.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	1115432
    Nice!

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy View Post
    Lol. That sounds like a lot of stuff. What would you wear if you were riding at 20F?
    Simple, I'd tow this thing behind me, (Titanium version) cranked to Eleven!!!

One picture, one line.  No whining. Something about YOUR last ride. [o]-3a1342fe-9650-402a-92ee-4ae1ed83b04c_1.b45851b705738ce26786f515e172c111.jpeg-7282d6556db47071d6a.jpg
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Mid-60s is shorts and short sleeve jersey for me but I'm pretty sure I'd die in about 15 minutes on my bike at 105. Hahaha! Weird how our bodies adapt to our environments.

Simple, I'd tow this thing behind me, (Titanium version) cranked to Eleven!!!

Name:	3a1342fe-9650-402a-92ee-4ae1ed83b04c_1.b45851b705738ce26786f515e172c111.jpeg-7282d6556db47071d6a.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	1115503

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    Nice!
    Very.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    "Am I a mountain biker?" I determined that I was a "Plains Biker" since there are no mountains here where I live now.

Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    Back yard ride went from 10 inches of snow to dry dirt in less than 48 hours thanks to strong winds and a temperature 84F degrees higher than last week's low.

Name:	15875201_10211840444595502_615684400497287595_o.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	104.6 KB 
ID:	1115323
    Great before and after, even with the kind of bike. It's hard to convey to people in other areas the temperature and weather extremes from day to day around here.

I did a similar shot 2 days apart. From 8 degrees and a foot of snow to 59 degrees 2 days later.

One picture, one line.  No whining. Something about YOUR last ride. [o]-img_9455.jpg
    One picture, one line.  No whining. Something about YOUR last ride. [o]-img_9456.jpg
    "Am I a mountain biker?" I determined that I was a "Plains Biker" since there are no mountains here where I live now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Dirty track with ice this morning

we try on ascent
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails One picture, one line.  No whining. Something about YOUR last ride. [o]-img_8169.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

exatly image

Real dangerous on descend
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails One picture, one line.  No whining. Something about YOUR last ride. [o]-img_8168.jpg  

mtbr member
    Winter riding.

One picture, one line.  No whining. Something about YOUR last ride. [o]-img_0023.jpg

indeed, winter riding

One picture, one line.  No whining. Something about YOUR last ride. [o]-img_20170114_140343103.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Kisalon, Israel

One picture, one line.  No whining. Something about YOUR last ride. [o]-img_9684-.jpg

noob bikepacker
    Quote Originally Posted by cmg71 View Post
    indeed, winter riding

Name:	IMG_20170114_140343103.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	142.1 KB 
ID:	1115728
    you guys are lucky... winter is done here in Ohio. 50's and rainy from here on out I think....sigh
    '15 Surly Krampus

Going UP!
    I saw this today on a mountain top
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails One picture, one line.  No whining. Something about YOUR last ride. [o]-img_0094-1-.jpg  

Screw you guys, I'm going out for a ride now...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Same view as the other night after a thaw and refreeze. Awesome conditions!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    I saw this today on a mountain top
    I bet you'll find a round one close by that is a Geological Survey Bench Mark, stating elevation above sea level.

mtbr member

One picture, one line. No whining. Something about YOUR last ride. [o]

Some new trails today

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkOne picture, one line.  No whining. Something about YOUR last ride. [o]-img_2676.jpg

mtbr member
    Winter riding

I like how that ^ cactus has an evil looking hooked arm reaching down to trail height ready for some unsuspecting rider to happen along.

mtbr member
    Yeah, fortunately it hangs down next to the trail not over it!

It would have been a cool shot to hang the bike from it but I didn't want to be *that guy* who broke the big saguaro, nor did I want needles in my bike seat!

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy View Post
    Wow, I think so too but it is all about comfort in the elements. Pretty sure I'd be overheating though.
    Mid 60 degrees sounds good but I know when hiking, temp is a different dynamic than biking. I keep all kinds of stuff in my trunk so I'm ready for whatever comes up and have extras for another person's lacking.

I'm feeling the cold more than I used so I think in my case it's an age thing. I love the looks of the fat tire bikes but I'm just afraid to go that route because I know I won't justify the winter ability often enough and I'm trying to go the 'one bike' for everthing way. Love seeing the winter pics though !!
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

mtbr member
    Oct 2016

Beautiful day for a family ride!

Damascus, VA
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails One picture, one line.  No whining. Something about YOUR last ride. [o]-bikes.jpg  

One picture, one line.  No whining. Something about YOUR last ride. [o]-20170116_115220c.jpg  

Last edited by mychel0620; 3 Days Ago at 10:07 AM.

mtbr member
    Logging some base miles

One picture, one line.  No whining. Something about YOUR last ride. [o]-gravel-view.jpg

mtbr member
    End of the day, Frying Pan Spur

One picture, one line.  No whining. Something about YOUR last ride. [o]-endingdayspur.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Into the abyss
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails One picture, one line.  No whining. Something about YOUR last ride. [o]-wp_20170109_18_46_24_pro.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    just another beautiful snow ride...

One picture, one line.  No whining. Something about YOUR last ride. [o]-img_1329_zpsxu4dgbsg.jpg

mtbr member
    Flowtown sugar rush :-P

One picture, one line.  No whining. Something about YOUR last ride. [o]-flowtown-sugar-hit.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

feel lucky

because can ride after work
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails One picture, one line.  No whining. Something about YOUR last ride. [o]-img_8198.jpg  

St Gallen, Switzerland

One picture, one line.  No whining. Something about YOUR last ride. [o]-img_20170121_131806499.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Let it snow

first on the snow for my Anthem
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails One picture, one line.  No whining. Something about YOUR last ride. [o]-img_8219.jpg  

One picture, one line.  No whining. Something about YOUR last ride. [o]-image1.jpg