Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2014

One of the many reasons I prefer to just ride alone.

So I get a group text last night about 8pm from a guy who I've done group rides with before. He had extended an invitation for a group ride at one of our local spots. I quickly confirmed, because the weather has finally broke and I'm ready to hit the trails. No one else confirmed, so I made sure we were good just the two of us riders. He confirms and says I will see you at 8 am at the trail head. So I'm up at 630 to be ready to go and wouldn't you know I have a text from the guy who coordinated backing out for the most lame reason. Pissed me off enough to post this.

When end I ride I just want to ride get out there and go. To many people I ride with always have excuses not to ride or to cut a ride short.......and this is just one of the many reasons why riding alone is better.

mtbr member
    People tend to flake on me more often than not as well. One of the great things about riding is, you don't have to depend on others. If they show, great. If not, I ride anyways. I don't let it bother me anymore.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Meh. That's not that bad. At least it's enough notice that you can make other plans. I've had guys text me ten minutes after we were supposed to meet. To add insult, they were coming from half an hour away, so they knew at least forty earlier and could have saved me twenty minutes of hanging around the trail head since I always show up ten minutes early. Oh, then there's the time I took a day off work just to meet up with someone. They show up late saying their bike has been broken for a week and don't know if they can ride. Thanks!!!

Needless to say, I now ride solo almost exclusively. If someone asks to ride together, I tell them I'm leaving my car at exactly this time. If you show up late, text me and I'll tell you where I am on the trails.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    That sucks. I guess my point is that your either a rider or not. Stupid excuses to not ride drive me nuts. I suppose what really pissed me off was I got up early on a Sunday to accommodate his meet up time. Then he bails. I'm honestly to the point where I just have more fun riding alone. You cut out all the BS.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Everybody has their priorities in life. It sucks getting up early and having them bail, but shut off the computer and go hit the trails! It is refreshing riding solo. Go hit the trails you want, at the pace you want and don't stop until you're completely exhausted. Get moving!

Gnarly
    I'm fortunate that I have a riding partner (my husband) who never bails on me.
    I think it's only happened once when the person calling a ride didn't show up. It's bad manners yes, but we did our own ride and it was glorious.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    I almost always ride alone (except for my dog). Been riding a long time, usually in groups you will get 1. The person who does zero bike maintenance and has to stop every 2 miles for an adjustment 2. The one that wants to stop for every new leaf, tree, flower, cloud and take a pic. 3. The one who talks and talks and talks. 4. Another who how much further all the time.

I rather just ride alone and have peace.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Unless it is the local clubs monthly group ride I am riding either by myself or with my daughters and wife. I do know many local riders and if i see them at the trail head I may tag their wheel.

banned
    Jan 2013
    I have a pack of friends who ride every Sunday. Sometimes everyone shows, sometimes its just me. The ride happens either way, having people bail out is hardly gona sour me from group rides. Im honestly a bit surprised to hear that people flaking is enough to drive people to stop trying to ride with others.

Worse (as mentioned already) is the guy who shows up unprepared and unready. Our Sunday ride is an advanced group that rides at a good clip, im always amazed when someone decides to bring a friend who just got a bike or some friend of theirs from work who "rides". I would feel bad doing that to someone, i will ride one on one with someone new and wont bring them along on a Sunday unless they show me they have the legs to not hold that group back.

Even when someone brings a noobie on Sunday, its not gona sour me... i just feel bad for that poor rider. I ride because i like to ride. I like when my friends are there to share the experience with me, but ultimately a ride is a ride either way.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Flaking isn't a big deal most of the time, if we're setting up a shuttle and it changes plans than I can see an issue, but other than that I don't care that much, I will ride alone if others bail.

What annoys me and stops me from riding with other people sometimes is their inability to stop worrying about **** and enjoy the ride. I'm getting older and friends have wives and kids, sometimes they are on a very short leash and they try to get home asap to avoid trouble with the SO. One guy in particular always says he can be out until 7pm when we go ride DH, then during the day mentions how much better it would be if he were home by 5 and if we could be rolling by 3:30 at the latest that would be great. Yeah, awesome.... I won't ride with him anymore.

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

mtbr member
    One of the guys that I have ridden with on a regular basis (in the past) had a record of saying yes he would ride 29 times last year. We actually rode together 4 times. I even told people a few times that they couldn't car-pool with me, because I didn't have room, only to have him back out at the last minute.
    2011 Trek Rumblefish 1

beater

One of the many reasons I prefer to just ride alone.

I ride with my friends. My friends are people who don't flake out.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

Ugly As F*ck
    I'm ugly and don't have any friends so I don't really have a choice but to ride alone.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Learned this thing the hard way.
    I was all set and was on my way to the airport to go to India and 2 of my friends ditched me.
    That was the day I decided I will never ever plan anything in a way that someone else's decision would bother me.
    Now I say, "If you want, you are most welcome but your decision will not affect mine".
    Recently made a trip to Peru to catch some un-described fish alone.
    Riding, again, if someone wants to join, please. If not, I have my bike and that's what it all needs

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Never have met anyone at the TH, it's always at someone's home.

That said, I live in a rural mountainous area with lots of trails and VERY few local riders.
    My only riding partner now is my brother and he never backs out.

When he's working I ride solo and have no issue's with it .

FKA Malibu412
    Yes to all the above.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I do like to ride with others, and alone at times. Friends is a term thrown around alot. If a friend of mine said they are going to do something, they do it. If they don't they are not real friends, just other bikers you roll with now and then. Meet at trailhead, no big deal, we roll at 00:00 and that is it. If they late or dont make it, no big deal. If you and your buddies cant meet without bailing that is pretty jacked.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    I have a friend who routinely either bails via text, doesn't answer his phone or calls me 20 minutes into my ride after waiting 15mins for him. I finally just stopped asking him if he wants to ride and I just tell him "I'm hitting the trails up tomorrow, it's going to be sweet". It's super annoying, but it doesn't ruin my ride. I also recently got a few other friends into riding and they never bail.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by sumer View Post
    Learned this thing the hard way.
    I was all set and was on my way to the airport to go to India and 2 of my friends ditched me.
    That was the day I decided I will never ever plan anything in a way that someone else's decision would bother me.
    Now I say, "If you want, you are most welcome but your decision will not affect mine".
    Recently made a trip to Peru to catch some un-described fish alone.
    Riding, again, if someone wants to join, please. If not, I have my bike and that's what it all needs
    Good 1st post and I agree.

I stop making plans with people that flake, mt biking or otherwise, that solves the problem...

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

mtbr member
    I've never been flaked on, or flaked. I always shoot out a text and tell guys when and where I'm riding, and they are welcome to join. I did have a buddy come out with no water, snacks, tools, or spares. That was a little irritating since I had to share my water, but he was new to riding at the time. I chalked it up as a learning experience.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Yeah that's why I ride alone too.
    Besides that, I prefer riding alone so I can go when I want, where I want, as fast as I want.

Sometimes I'll go 11am, in the tropical heat just because I feel like it. Or sometimes I'll go on a short 30 min ride at 4pm and go as fast as I can. Or tackle a climb on a hard gear (big ring).

I've ridden in groups before and I find the experience largely overrated. Until you get to the rest stops and talk bikes snd stuff but you can do that at night anyway.

I feel the same way about motorcycles as well. I always ride solo.

If I wanted the whole social thing I'd bring a car, you know what I mean?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    When I ride with others if they show up fine, if they
    don't show up that's fine also. I'm going to ride either
    way, and if they aren't there they are the ones who
    missed out, not me.

mtbr member
    I don't mind if people don't show up at a ride or are a little late...
    What pisses me off is when i'm waiting for nothing...
    simple respect is to send a message before the beginning of the ride to say that you are late or wont make it.
    expensive cars are a waste of money. Expensive bikes...not so much!

2006 Yeti AS-X
    When I invite others to ride with me, I have 100% intention to ride that day so show or no show, I get trail. I love to ride with others but I have no problem riding alone.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I like riding with others, and have found that if you go with maybe 1 or 2 others that are close to your fitness and skill level it can be a lot of fun. The hard part is for schedules to match up so I agree with the posts above. Make your plans and if they show up great if not go ride. All of that said I ride solo a good chunk of the time.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast