Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig View Post
    You forgot:
    5. The dude with the obviously fragile ego who needs to turn every ride into a race to show you and the rest of the group what a great rider he is.
    6. The dude who wants to "session" every technical trail section 6 - 10 times.
    7. The dude who brings his dog along who invariably gets in everybody's way and then needs to stop every 10 minutes for a 15 minute break.
    8. The other fragile ego clown who brags that he's already ridden 75 miles this week.
    9. The jerk who is NEVER on time for a group ride.
    10. The guy who forgets to bring beer.
    Wait a minute..Ive never ridden with you..Have I??
    "foot to pedal, wheel to dirt, there is no substitute for the act of riding "

mtbr member
    Ride Alone - Ride in a Group - Just enjoy Riding! Don't let other people's BS grind your gears!
    2013 Cannondale Trail SL 3

"You will never ride alone"

'Tis but a scratch
    Is Dill invited?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    This is the regular crowd that I ride with. The names are changed to protect the guilty. And these guys are all good guys and good friends - I just have to give them some crap every now and then 'cause they sure give it to me.

1. John Doe - John only rides in 2 places - Croft (our local trails) or Dupont. Don't even think about asking him to go anywhere else. And he likes to sleep in on Saturdays, so we never leave for Dupont until 10:30, even when it's 100 outside in July. So we start riding about noon and do 4 hours in the hottest part of the day. Then we finish and he wants to go to the BBQ restaurant which is at Pisgah. He won't ride Pisgah, but loves to drive up there to eat. Only problem is that this ads 2 hours to the day to drive up there, eat, and then drive back home. But this dude just turned 60 and still rides like a maniac.

2. Jim Doe - Jim loves to ride Pisgah but only wants to ride for 2 hours. Getting to the Hub for beers is much more important than actually riding trails. And his wife has him on a short leash. Always has to be back home by a certain time. Very strong rider for 2 hours and then he starts to *****.

3. Bill Doe - Refuses to make plans for the weekend until Friday night. Always wants to see what somebody else is doing before saying he will ride with you. But doesn't mind exploring new trails and is never in a hurry to get home.

And me - I have my own quirks that I'm sure annoy people. Like my bike breaking - at least that hasn't happened since I got the new Spearfish. And sometimes I show up late 'cause I had to stop by Hardees and get a sausage biscuit. And then had to stop by the other Hardees and take a poop because of the sausage biscuit.

Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post

This year, I hope to help set up some kind of a regular ride schedule. The sort of thing where the ride happens regardless of who shows up. If only a single person shows, the ride is still happening. Not sure if I want it to be the same trail on the same day every week, or if it will rotate around from trail to trail each week, or what.
    Been doing this for years. We meet at my friend's house at 8:30 every Sunday. Who shows up is who rides. Sometimes it is just the two of us, sometimes there are 7-8 of us. Trail choice is on rotation, you are required to show up for the ride consecutive weekends until it is your turn to pick. We have all of our rides written down and numbered, if no one has a burning preference we roll a d20 and ride where the die tells us to go.

*Edit; The friend who's house we meet at basically has a bike shop in his garage. When unprepared bike maintenance at the trail head guy shows up we just get a later start than usual. We like to ride hard, so this is a laid back opportunity to socialize while derp guy wrenches. All good.

I like solo rides. I tend to set my fastest times solo. This sport would be far less fun if i only ever rode by my self. I would not be the rider i am today without friendly competition pushing me into riding harder/faster/more technical.
    Last edited by BigRingGrinder; 04-09-2014 at 08:14 PM.
    "Bigring, that's deep. ...Well, I suspect it is. I didn't read it."

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Ride Alone - Ride in a Group - Just enjoy Riding! Don't let other people's BS grind your gears!
    Well said. I ride in groups of all sizes and skill levels, but I also get out for solo rides pretty often. There are always rewards for a ride, it's just that the type of reward varies depending on the kind of ride. For me the most important thing is to adjust my attitude to fit the ride. If I do that right, there isn't much that can ruin a ride for me.

That said, people who flake on a regular basis really suck. It's just disrespectful - it implies that your life is more important than those around you, and it just isn't. Luckily, there is an easy solution: Don't invite them on future rides.

mtbr member
    One of the many reasons I prefer to just ride alone.-20140402_182920.jpg

Better than solo, but don't have to ride with any of those silly humans.

I think some of you need to get some better friends or quit *****ing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140402_182920.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	160.8 KB 
ID:	882341

Beautiful Vizla !! What a face
    2013 Cannondale Trail SL 3

"You will never ride alone"

mtbr member
    This will be me very soon. Bring home our new pup Monday, she will be one the trail with me from the start

Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140402_182920.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	160.8 KB 
ID:	882341

13 Banshee Rune, Pushed Fox 36Float RC2, I9 Blunt35's

T1 barcode, pitchfork's, Hazard light's and profile's

I hate sugar sand.
    Nov 2007
    I'd rather ride alone. I can go at my own pace (usually slowly) and not have to kill myself to keep up with the dude that has 15+ years of experience riding and racing. That was not fun for either one of us.

And there was the one time I rode with a friend who had no helmet, no equipment, maybe a water bottle, and that was it. On a 12 year old bike that never had any maintenance done. It was an OK ride, but we haven't ridden together since.

There's a group of people I know that sometimes ride a trail an hour south of me at 9am on Sundays. I'm not a morning person, so I'm not getting up at 7, to leave the house at 8, to bust ass on a bike at 9. They ask me, and I say "sorry guys, too early", then I go ride at noon on a trail 20 minutes from me. Not a big deal.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtrider76 View Post
    This will be me very soon. Bring home our new pup Monday, she will be one the trail with me from the start
    just make sure you don't push her too hard, you don't want to go blowing out an 8week pup. talk with your vet about what's appropriate for a new pup . . . apologies if this is something you've already educated yourself on.

i have two german shorthairs (girl 7, boy 4. both rescues), they just about turn themselves inside out when i pull the bike off the rack. great mtb/trail run/nerdic ski companions. it's amazing to see these dogs running along at a full stride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Fack, if I had a dollar for everytime I had to wait for my neighbor to take "one more s**t," I could buy at least a two-four of Dale's.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Beautiful Vizla !! What a face
    Thanks man! Best dog I have ever had.

mtbr member
    Thanks, I've done some research and will be starting her out small. Last thing I want to do is harm her.

Quote Originally Posted by koudja View Post
    just make sure you don't push her too hard, you don't want to go blowing out an 8week pup. talk with your vet about what's appropriate for a new pup . . . apologies if this is something you've already educated yourself on.

i have two german shorthairs (girl 7, boy 4. both rescues), they just about turn themselves inside out when i pull the bike off the rack. great mtb/trail run/nerdic ski companions. it's amazing to see these dogs running along at a full stride.
    13 Banshee Rune, Pushed Fox 36Float RC2, I9 Blunt35's

T1 barcode, pitchfork's, Hazard light's and profile's

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Couple of things.
    If you set too high a standard for your friends you soon won't have any friends.
    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me!
    I ride my bike when I'm with people or when I'm alone, I enjoy both. If you're going to try something sketchy or do big jumps it makes sense to do it when there is someone around to assist if things don't go well.
    Riding with a group is similar to skiing with a group. The bigger the group the more inertia there is to overcome and its hard to keep it moving. Also the group moves at the pace of the weakest rider. Ride by yourself for training purposes. Ride with a group for social purposes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtrider76 View Post
    Thanks, I've done some research and will be starting her out small. Last thing I want to do is harm her.
    figured as much, it was the 'on the trail with me from the start' that made me nervous. just thought i'd make sure.

best part of my day is getting outside with the furry four legs. enjoy the pup, i'm excited for you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    So I haven't read through all of the replies but I think being a flake has somehow become part of the culture. Not the MTB culture per se but the US generally. Fashionably late has become fashionably no–show. If that's the expectation, fine, **** em. If they don't show up then whatevers, they're missing out. But sadly, we don't want to settle for that lame expectation. We want people to do what they say and say what they do! For some reason, a lot of folks don't get that and either overcommit their entire lives (riding buds aren't the only ones getting screwed) or want to give the impression they're important (when if they're really wicked they call their own hours). I don't know, I appreciate my time w/ people when I have it and when I don't I rip.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

One of the many reasons I prefer to just ride alone.

Quote Originally Posted by jugdish View Post
    Fack, if I had a dollar for everytime I had to wait for my neighbor to take "one more s**t," I could buy at least a two-four of Dale's.
    If you'd quit giving your neighbor Dales outta your two four, I reckon he'd take less s**ts!

mtbr member
    Yeah. My bro in-law farts around like a wall flower before a ride, and that's with a days notice!!

Sent from my i9100 Warbird
    to err is human... to face plant is frickin hilarious!!

mtbr member

I don't see an issue

Why is riding alone even a topic for discussion? If you are a serious biker, surfer, skier as opposed to someone who is just a social rider/surfer/skier, then riding alone is not anything to waste your breath on. Its all about the ride, not the company.

If I didn't ride alone I'd hardly ride at all.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RIVER29 View Post
    I'll assume that this is a jab at me.

Sorry if I think a bunch of people whining about there experience riding with people that don't prioritize riding the exact same way they do is sad. If my friends didn't respect my time, goals, etc, I would be sad my disposition too.

Edit: this was posted in the "Passion" forum not the "Complaint" forum, I probably wouldn't have commented or even seen this if it wasn't in a section for people who want to talk about pleasurable experiences.
    No, you don't have to assume. Yes, it was in response to your less than friendly response.

I think you have confused my posts as "whining" when they are clearly "sarcasm."

Having read this forum (and on the old MTBR Passion forum) for 13 years, my experience is that you'll find both positive and negative threads - "passion" doesn't just mean "pleasure." To quote the dictionary:

"Passion: 1. a strong and barely controllable emotion."

There are lots of emotions other than "pleasure." OP was expressing his passionate feelings about group rides.

And back to our regular programming:

27. "Mr. Serious" - The dude who doesn't get the joke.
    28. "The Junkie" - He's at EVERY group ride. With every group. He emotionally cannot ride alone or likely do anything alone. (He probably makes sure somebody goes to the bathroom with him so he can take a leak in the company of a friend.) 87% of his Facebook feed is posts of him on a group ride or photos he's taken of others on a group ride. They are either single or they hate their spouse. This is the person who says that people who ride alone are loners or don't have the right friends.
    29. "The boozer" - He drinks before the ride. Or during. And after. (Guilty! But usually only on holidays. And weekends. And weekdays.)
    30. Mr. Hollywood - Yes, this is the person with one, two or three Go-Pro cameras on them for every ride. (One bar, one helmet, one rear facing.) Can't have too many Go Pro cameras. When he's not filming every ride, this guy is filming with his Go Pro when he's taking a leak, brushing his teeth, sleeping, doing laundry, etc...
    31. "Matchy" - The rider who has to color match all components and riding gear. With each other. Won't wear a certain jersey or helmet if it doesn't match their bike. Wishes GQ or Cosmo had a section on mountain bike fashion.
    32. "The Tweaker" - Must stop every 5 minutes or less to adjust their saddle/bar/helmet/derailleur/tire pressure/shock pressure, etc.... (Again, guilty.)
    33. "The Stoner" - Pulls out the pipe at every trail junction. Has recently moved to Colorado or Washington.
    34. The guy who can't afford a new bike or part or whatever and lobs criticism at anybody who can and does. Takes an abnormal amount of pride in whatever he or she is riding because they've owned and ridden it for 5, 10, 20, 50 years, and constantly reminds everybody in the group that "it's the rider, not the ride." (Which I suppose is true for the most part, but man, it gets old. Everybody deals with their finances differently.) I don't know what to call this guy other than refer to him by the nickname for a man named "Richard."
    35. The Name Dropper - Must tell you about every "friend" he has in the industry and all the groups he's involved with and all the times he rode with (insert semi-famous person nobody has ever hear of here) and how he can get outstanding deals on any part because of his great connections. Likely has spent some time living in LA. Or wishes they spent some time living in LA. (And if it's not about bike people he knows, it's bands, or actors, or whatever. It's all about who he knows.)

OK, that's about all I can think of for now. Ride on!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    ^
    How about Mr. Music? I have a bike buddy who keeps buying these portable bluetooth speakers which in the beginning I thought were pretty cool (so I bought one for myself) until his speakers seem to get louder and louder playing Bon Jovi on loop.

I think I am going to be doomed to ride alone. My ideal riding buddy should be:

- can ride at my pace and distance. Can be slightly worse or slightly better than me.
    - bike safety and etiquette conscious. 80% on bike safety and even 40% on etiquette.
    - a fairly consistent 2-3x a week rider who honors set schedules.
    - not too bike bling conscious but not totally bike clueless.
    - likes XC, urban, night and trail riding in no particular order of preference.
    - likes taking pictures during rides and posting it on Facebook just like me.
    - not afraid to bike alone

mtbr member
    I don't mind biking alone but I only do it cause nobody I know likes biking as much as myself. Biking with the dog is great and friends are even better. What I enjoy about a solo bike ride is how peaceful it is .

This thread has made me appreciate just how lucky i am to have riding friends who are a match for my overall skill/speed/enthusiasm.
    "Bigring, that's deep. ...Well, I suspect it is. I didn't read it."

mtbr member
    I could never imagine not riding alone. Always have, always will.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    im new to mountain biking. i bought a specialized hardrock a month ago and my dad liked it so much he bought his own. he wants to start going on trails. now we both have no idea what we are doing but i think itll be fun. hope to make it a regular thing with him. he tends to oversleep though

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast