Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I'm new to riding so I understand where you're coming from, I like to ride in a group because I push myself harder, like you said it's easier to get lazy. But after hearing some of the stories on here I'm not surprised a lot of people prefer to ride alone. I definitely know to watch out for flakers!

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

Re: One of the many reasons I prefer to just ride alone.

Quote Originally Posted by otis24 View Post
    If I'm not 100% sure I can ride I say so. I'll say I'll meet them at the trail head if I'm not there just ride with out me. What's so hard about that?
    I would MUCH rather have someone say this to me instead of committing, being all excited and then no-showing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    by the far the most annoying thing to me is the "differed maintenance" friend. Shows up with a flat, or a broken chain... i don't have problem with flakers. I just go. But its way more annoying where someone says "i'm good" then their sh-t doesn't work b/c they don't maintain their bike!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by teleguy03 View Post
    by the far the most annoying thing to me is the "differed maintenance" friend. Shows up with a flat, or a broken chain... i don't have problem with flakers. I just go. But its way more annoying where someone says "i'm good" then their sh-t doesn't work b/c they don't maintain their bike!
    One of my dive buddies has shown up to the dive site and starts re arranging hoses on his regulator...at the beach. I'm like...are you crazy? If you get a grain of sand in the wrong place you can disrupt your air supply. Then you are seriously screwed. For diving all my gear is 100% ready to go at least 2-3 days before we go. I double check the night before when I load up my car.

I've been adopting the same mind set with my mountain biking gear. It just makes riding more enjoyable.
    I like to ride bikes.

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    I'm hearing a lot of first world problems here.
    I do custom ArcGIS and Google Maps, including data collection and sustainable trail layout. Ride Welsh Mountain

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    In the first world we oddly expect people to be on time. I think this is one of the reasons first world countries become first world countries.

You do have a good point though.
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member

Re: One of the many reasons I prefer to just ride alone.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyWilliams View Post
    Am I the only one who gets lazy riding solo? I push my bikes up climbs I would have tried riding in a group. I take the B line around drops I would have hit in a group. I turn a slow and easy cadence staring off into the distance when in a group I would have been pushing a leg burning vomit inducing pace. Without riding in a group my rides just get kind of dull. I need that competitiveness that comes with riding with others.

That said I have never had problems with flakers.
    I tend to be the opposite. Riding solo I go as hard and as fast as I can and tend to try more stuff. Around home there are no hills that I push a bike up, but there are a few skinnies that get me. By myself I'll double back and try again.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Does anyone else think of George Thorogood every time they look at this thread title?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

One of the many reasons I prefer to just ride alone.

Quote Originally Posted by otis24 View Post
    In the first world we oddly expect people to be on time. I think this is one of the reasons first world countries become first world countries.

You do have a good point though.
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    This. And This.

I <3 NM
    Alone or with others, it's all good to me.
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

mtbr member
    I ride alone.. .. .. .. .. .. yeah, with nobody else
    Yeah you know when I ride alone.. .. I prefer to be by myself!

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Flucod View Post
    I almost always ride alone (except for my dog). Been riding a long time, usually in groups you will get 1. The person who does zero bike maintenance and has to stop every 2 miles for an adjustment 2. The one that wants to stop for every new leaf, tree, flower, cloud and take a pic. 3. The one who talks and talks and talks. 4. Another who how much further all the time.

I rather just ride alone and have peace.
    You forgot:
    5. The dude with the obviously fragile ego who needs to turn every ride into a race to show you and the rest of the group what a great rider he is.
    6. The dude who wants to "session" every technical trail section 6 - 10 times.
    7. The dude who brings his dog along who invariably gets in everybody's way and then needs to stop every 10 minutes for a 15 minute break.
    8. The other fragile ego clown who brags that he's already ridden 75 miles this week.
    9. The jerk who is NEVER on time for a group ride.
    10. The guy who forgets to bring beer.

mtbr member
    "10. The guy who forgets to bring beer."

There is something very wrong with this person.
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig View Post
    You forgot:
    8. The other fragile ego clown who brags that he's already ridden 75 miles this week.
    Gotta love the guy who would keep up/ ride farther if he wasn't "over trained" at that time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

One of the many reasons I prefer to just ride alone.

You forgot:
    5. The dude with the obviously fragile ego who needs to turn every ride into a race to show you and the rest of the group what a great rider he is.
    6. The dude who wants to "session" every technical trail section 6 - 10 times.
    7. The dude who brings his dog along who invariably gets in everybody's way and then needs to stop every 10 minutes for a 15 minute break.
    9. The jerk who is NEVER on time for a group ride.
    10. The guy who forgets to bring beer.
    Dude, have we ridden together?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    What about people who complain the entire ride? It's too hot, too cold, too fast, too rocky, too rooty, too much climbing....you name it. I feel like asking "do you even like mountain biking"?

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    #5 and #8 are often the same jackwagon. Complainers are rare and far between on rides I've done. Unless we're all fuming that dude 5/8 is pushing a ridiculous pace because he needs to prove something. Likely he (or she - I've seen women who fall into the 5/8 category) will upload his Strava data to Facebook immediately after the ride and then brag about how he/she scored a PR but "didn't feel like I was riding that hard."

That's when you borrow a beer from the guy who did bring one and beat Mr. 5/8 over the head with it.

And don't forget:

11. Mr. "I Have Nothing Else to Talk About Other Than This Week's Hottest New Bike Part." Usually wants to regale you with tales of the greatest new fork/rim/wheelset/frame/blah/blah/blah. Seriously, this guy (and gal - perhaps the most annoying person I've ever known is a woman who would NOT shut up about her bike and why hers was better than yours) has no interests in life other than what new part he can buy next.
    12. Along those lines, the person who is constantly critical, but disguises it as "advice" - they constantly offer you their opinion as to how/why you can be a "better rider." Whether it's fit or set up of your bike that's wrong, what part you need to buy that's better than what you have now, how they ride a certain section of trail and you don't (but should), they are usually an insufferable know-it-all.
    13. Mr. Excuses. This is almost always Mr. 5/8 on a bad day. "Oh man, I'm fried because I rode 150 miles last week." "I didn't sleep well." "I've got a hangover." "This is my rest day so I have to ride slow."
    14. The Road Trip Couple. It's always a couple. They never do anything but take mountain bike vacations. Not that there's any problem with that, but like Mr. Know It All, they are constantly telling you how much you're missing because "you've never been to Outerbike/Moab/Fruita/Whistler/Colorado/Arizona/Gooseberry and IT's AWESOME" and - this is the one that always kills me - how much better the trails are "there" and how much riding "there" makes the local trails so boring and lame.
    15. Mr. Popular. This guy (or gal, see that too) must invite 20 of their "closest friends" on any ride. This ride usually falls into one of two categories - a bunch of 5/8 category Cat 6 bearded Stravaddicts in their 20's riding blinglespeeds and wearing matching jerseys from the "cool shop" in town, or old farts on very expensive full suspension 29'ers that still have the wheel reflectors and pie plates on them. The former group refuses to ride less than 20 miles at anything less than race pace, while the latter group usually rides about 7 miles in 3 hours and calls it a day.
    16. The Bushwacker. This is the old guy who really KNOWS the trails. WAY more than you do. He's been around FOREVER and will tell you how long he's been around and how he pioneered the trail system and how nobody appreciates his efforts and how he hates all the crowds because he has been riding mountain bikes here since before Gary Fisher knew what a mountain bike was. This was the first guy in line to see Klunkers. Usually too cool to ride in anything other than a Hawaiian shirt.
    17. The grumpy jerk who hates everybody. (That's me.)
    18. The guy who refuses to take out his earbuds or turn his music down.
    19. The guy who refuses to ever drive if there's a need for a shuttle or some driving to a trailhead. Usually has space for 3 or more bikes and riders, but either doesn't want to burn the gas or get his car dirty, so he mooches a ride from somebody else.
    20. The moocher in your car who won't kick in for gas or at least buy you a beer.
    21. The "I love DIRT ROADS" guy. Thinks riding dirt roads rather than singletrack is actual mountain biking. I'm all for climbing a dirt road if it gets me to singletrack, but anybody who wants to CLIMB singletrack so they can ride DOWN a dirt road is an idiot.
    22. Mr. All Day. You've ridden 30 miles and 4 hours and you're cooked. Everybody else is cooked. It's obviously Beer:30. This dude wants to push at least another 5 miles. He's usually Mr. 5 and or 8 as well.
    23. I just call this guy "Broseph." Here's how you identify him: "How do you know if somebody races #ENDURO? They'll tell you." Over and over and over again.
    24. The Angry Woman. I dated this one. She owned cats too.

I'm sure there are more. Feel free to add your own.

(Disclaimer: I've probably fallen into many of these categories myself at more than one time. Except the Angry Woman one.)

I eat cats
    ^Haha! +rep
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    You see, I don't have a single brand name in my signature because I know most bike brands and component brands 99%.

Trail Connoisseur
    I feel sorry for a lot of people who have commented in this thread... I rarely have any of these issues and if I do it's with the "new guy" that doesn't get it. My friends and I run a tight ship, don't take it personal when people flake, and don't get slowed down by people who don't have their sh!t together.

I prefer to ride in a group. watching someone clear a tough section you struggle with helps you be a better rider and pushes you to improve. But, good people are all the difference. If you ,"...prefer to just ride alone" you either are a loner or don't ride with the right people.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    25. The person who just moved to town, but needs to express on a routine basis their opinion that the local mountain biking scene is bad and how much better it was where they came from. After 3 months, however, they consider themselves to be the expert on everything mountain bike-related in the area.
    26. Motor-mouth. He. Will. Not. Shut. Up. You're climbing, you're out of breath, you can't see straight, you're about to black out and he wants to carry on some inane conversation. He also usually interrupts anybody else who has dared to talk. (Oops - this is a repeat of #4. Sorry.)
    Last edited by Earthpig; 04-10-2014 at 01:27 PM.

mtbr member
    This is the regular crowd that I ride with. The names are changed to protect the guilty. And these guys are all good guys and good friends - I just have to give them some crap every now and then 'cause they sure give it to me.

1. John Doe - John only rides in 2 places - Croft (our local trails) or Dupont. Don't even think about asking him to go anywhere else. And he likes to sleep in on Saturdays, so we never leave for Dupont until 10:30, even when it's 100 outside in July. So we start riding about noon and do 4 hours in the hottest part of the day. Then we finish and he wants to go to the BBQ restaurant which is at Pisgah. He won't ride Pisgah, but loves to drive up there to eat. Only problem is that this ads 2 hours to the day to drive up there, eat, and then drive back home. But this dude just turned 60 and still rides like a maniac.

2. Jim Doe - Jim loves to ride Pisgah but only wants to ride for 2 hours. Getting to the Hub for beers is much more important than actually riding trails. And his wife has him on a short leash. Always has to be back home by a certain time. Very strong rider for 2 hours and then he starts to *****.

3. Bill Doe - Refuses to make plans for the weekend until Friday night. Always wants to see what somebody else is doing before saying he will ride with you. But doesn't mind exploring new trails and is never in a hurry to get home.

And me - I have my own quirks that I'm sure annoy people. Like my bike breaking - at least that hasn't happened since I got the new Spearfish. And sometimes I show up late 'cause I had to stop by Hardees and get a sausage biscuit. And then had to stop by the other Hardees and take a poop because of the sausage biscuit.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    I feel sorry for people who feel sorry for people who comment.

Lighten up, Francis.

(Disclaimer - While most of my rides are solo - due to personal choice and scheduling conflicts - I do ride with 2 or 3 other guys on a semi-regular basis. And, like me, they will on occasion fall into one of the above referenced categories. We all do.)

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    2. Jim Doe - Jim loves to ride Pisgah but only wants to ride for 2 hours. Getting to the Hub for beers is much more important than actually riding trails. And his wife has him on a short leash. Always has to be back home by a certain time. Very strong rider for 2 hours and then he starts to *****.

3. Bill Doe - Refuses to make plans for the weekend until Friday night. Always wants to see what somebody else is doing before saying he will ride with you. But doesn't mind exploring new trails and is never in a hurry to get home.
    Yeah, I think I know these guys...Bill is that guy who, on Thursday, commits to riding with you on Saturday, then bags out on riding with you, but then tells you Sunday about the great ride he had on Saturday. I feel for Jim. He must be married to my ex-wife.

Trail Connoisseur
    I feel sorry for people who feel sorry for people who comment.

Lighten up, Francis.

(Disclaimer - While most of my rides are solo - due to personal choice and scheduling conflicts - I do ride with 2 or 3 other guys on a semi-regular basis. And, like me, they will on occasion fall into one of the above referenced categories. We all do.)
    I'll assume that this is a jab at me.

Sorry if I think a bunch of people whining about there experience riding with people that don't prioritize riding the exact same way they do is sad. If my friends didn't respect my time, goals, etc, I would be sad my disposition too.

Edit: this was posted in the "Passion" forum not the "Complaint" forum, I probably wouldn't have commented or even seen this if it wasn't in a section for people who want to talk about pleasurable experiences.

I also hate people who flake out after making concrete plans with you. I try to avoid concrete plans anymore, but I still ride with people. Our group rides are short-notice this time of year because of the weather unpredictability, but we throw out a time, and usually start riding about 10 or 15 minutes after to catch stragglers. It tends to be informal and low key. If you don't show, no problem, the ride starts anyway. I've been the guy showing up late and hauling ass to catch the group that left before me. Or I show up late (or the wrong trailhead) and just do my own ride without the group.

More often than not, I run into at least one person I know when I'm out on a solo ride. Sometimes I latch on and ride with them for awhile. Sometimes we just BS at the trailhead after our respective rides (or as we cross paths at the TH or on the trails) or grab a beer afterwards. Most of the local trails have a common post-ride beer stop that is a great meeting spot, too.

This year, I hope to help set up some kind of a regular ride schedule. The sort of thing where the ride happens regardless of who shows up. If only a single person shows, the ride is still happening. Not sure if I want it to be the same trail on the same day every week, or if it will rotate around from trail to trail each week, or what.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast