mtbr member

OMG....Have you ever counted your cycling clothes ???

Merry Christmas everyone.....no cycling clothes this year. Got a couple of nice shirts. My wife asked how come I am not as excited about "real" clothes and the complete opposite when I get a package containing cycling clothes ??? I dunnow....

So I decided to count what I had today....

5 pairs of Sombrio Shorts, 2 pairs of Troy Lee Moto, 1 pair Jett, 1 pair Fox, 2 pairs of Enduro 3/4 pants, 7 pairs of HOSS that I dont wear anymore. Too many tops to count, 5 pairs of gloves, 6 pairs of socks, 3 helmets, 4 pairs of cycling shoes......yea, I think I may have a slight problem.....whatcha all got ??

blet drive
    A lot to many kits to count 4 helmets less than 2 years old and shoes shoe and more shoes. Globes seem to be in short sully. Tons of socks.
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

Trail Ninja
    I have more bike clothing and accessories than I can use.

I have enough baggy mtb designed shorts to have a new look every day. Some have holes, some fit a bit tight, and some don't match my other stuff, but I still keep them around. I have over 8 padded liner/cycling shorts around, with perhaps 4 no longer fitting me that well. Had about 6 come out the wash yesterday (including a couple of the ill-fitting ones). I also have 5 DH style jerseys, 2 tight fitting zip jerseys, and a 3/4 loose fitting jersey, though I don't wear them all that often except for 2-3 of the DH jerseys. 3 diff knee pads and elbow pads, though I only rotate 2 sets of the knee pads and 1 set of elbow pads through use. Only 1 half-lid and 1 (non-crashed) full face though. I've kept two of my old blown out gloves to rotate with my new gloves when they're misplaced or in the wash.

I expect at least 3 years of use out of most of my bike clothes, and at least 1 year out of my pads. Had some 2 jackets for about 8 years, though they don't get much use any more ever since I moved to SoCal. Being in SoCal is the reason I built up my collection of shorts and I think I like the looser fitting long sleeve jerseys over body hugging clothes for the sun here. I'm more interesting in clothes that work and look good both on and off the bike now. I've picked up a couple button up shirts made of performance material, but don't really like the Club Ride one I got due to the inner seams. The Jett Ride button up jersey is one of my favs though.

I should give away the stuff that I replace with nicer stuff to family. I left behind some really nice clothes at home and I noticed my Dad had them when he visited. Apparently they're some of his favs now. Gave some to my brother too. I don't think he minds that I think those styles are no longer to my tastes (as far as fashion goes), since they're still performance wear, it's a new look for him, and he didn't pay anything for them. My new favorites make it to the top of my drawers, while the stuff that I notice has been buried for some time eventually finds its way to someone else who would use them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    I have more bike clothing and accessories than I can use.

I have enough baggy mtb designed shorts to have a new look every day. Some have holes, some fit a bit tight, and some don't match my other stuff, but I still keep them around. I have over 8 padded liner/cycling shorts around, with perhaps 4 no longer fitting me that well. Had about 6 come out the wash yesterday (including a couple of the ill-fitting ones). I also have 5 DH style jerseys, 2 tight fitting zip jerseys, and a 3/4 loose fitting jersey, though I don't wear them all that often except for 2-3 of the DH jerseys. 3 diff knee pads and elbow pads, though I only rotate 2 sets of the knee pads and 1 set of elbow pads through use. Only 1 half-lid and 1 (non-crashed) full face though. I've kept two of my old blown out gloves to rotate with my new gloves when they're misplaced or in the wash.

I expect at least 3 years of use out of most of my bike clothes, and at least 1 year out of my pads. Had some 2 jackets for about 8 years, though they don't get much use any more ever since I moved to SoCal. Being in SoCal is the reason I built up my collection of shorts and I think I like the looser fitting long sleeve jerseys over body hugging clothes for the sun here. I'm more interesting in clothes that work and look good both on and off the bike now. I've picked up a couple button up shirts made of performance material, but don't really like the Club Ride one I got due to the inner seams. The Jett Ride button up jersey is one of my favs though.

I should give away the stuff that I replace with nicer stuff to family. I left behind some really nice clothes at home and I noticed my Dad had them when he visited. Apparently they're some of his favs now. Gave some to my brother too. I don't think he minds that I think those styles are no longer to my tastes (as far as fashion goes), since they're still performance wear, it's a new look for him, and he didn't pay anything for them. My new favorites make it to the top of my drawers, while the stuff that I notice has been buried for some time eventually finds its way to someone else who would use them.
    Sounds like you have the same sickness....

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    You're only sick when you find that you have two of the exact same thing and it's not one of those things (like socks or shorts) that you have any reason to have two of. You're really sick when you find multiple redundancies in your collection. At one time I had three wind vests. In my defense, I got the last one after I'd bought the first two (as a present) and it got regifted.

EMBA Member
    I re-purposed a 4 drawer file cabinet in the garage to store all my cycling clothes. Just tonight I was wondering how I was going to fit in the new stuff I got for Christmas. It's probably 18" wide with fairly deep drawers. Not one of those huge cabinets, but still... Hard to believe.

mtbr member
    No, I don't suffer from that particular ailment. Not with cycling clothes at least. I did discover that I have a lot of beanies and gloves though, for a wide range of temperatures.

FKA Malibu412
    OMG!! No.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

High Desert MTBer
    Just 2 of each shorts, inner shorts, shirts, gloves etc. When they wear out I get another. I have several Buff headwear bands as I use them for sweat protection, and it is always hot here. I can get thru 3 on a long ride. I guess I don't share that sickness...
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I know exactly, and it isn't a lot. I wear only neon yellow jerseys for r#@d riding (Canari is now my go-to brand) and technical Ts for the trail. Two pairs of shorts and another pair getting repaired. If Terry ever has a sale on them, I'll get another two pairs.
    Got a great base layer from Target last year; lightly fleeced on the inside and just right for winter riding with a shell, so that is sorted out. Need a pair of tights and some calf length bottoms, and I'll get around to getting those some time. For now, a pair of North Face fleece tights with shorts underneath works perfectly.
    6 pairs of Swiftwick socks (worth every penny and they don't wear out!)
    Nice simple, lightweight wind-proof ear warmer (technically a "thermal headband"), perfect for riding with temps in the 50s and 60s and probably the most critical part of my cold-weather kit; I absolutely cannot stand cold wind blowing on my hears.

Pearl Izumi shell with zip-off sleeves is perfect for winter.

DH, on the other hand....He even has a pair of ancient lycra shorts with a see-through effect in the back. Maybe this year, I'll just throw them out. He went through a phase of buying jerseys on ebay a few years ago, so the top count there is high, maybe 15. Probably 12 pairs of lycra shorts, two bibs and two baggy shells.

At almost 70, he does ride an average of 6 days a week, the commitment is there, so no complaints from me!

We have this wire shelving with a clothes rod set up out in the garage,
    Bike gear goes on the shelves. Bike clothes are washed together, and just hang everything on hangers to dry out there.

Now broadcasting from CO
    Quote Originally Posted by YaMon View Post
    Merry Christmas everyone.....no cycling clothes this year. Got a couple of nice shirts. My wife asked how come I am not as excited about "real" clothes and the complete opposite when I get a package containing cycling clothes ??? I dunnow....

So I decided to count what I had today....

5 pairs of Sombrio Shorts, 2 pairs of Troy Lee Moto, 1 pair Jett, 1 pair Fox, 2 pairs of Enduro 3/4 pants, 7 pairs of HOSS that I dont wear anymore. Too many tops to count, 5 pairs of gloves, 6 pairs of socks, 3 helmets, 4 pairs of cycling shoes......yea, I think I may have a slight problem.....whatcha all got ??
    You only have 6 pairs of socks??? How do you get by with just 6 pairs of socks??? I probably have close to 20...
    Brought to you by rocks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I have about 8 shirts 4 pairs of shorts and one pair of shoes. My shoes are so comfy I can't see myself using another pair until these are completely toast. I might have a few pairs of gloves but I have way more bikes and bike parts. Clothes are not my thing, if I run out I just toss em in the wash and they are ready for the next day.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I have 4 or 5 pairs of bib cycling shorts and a few pairs of standard cycling shorts but I pretty much only wear the bibs anymore - bibs are just a lot more comfortable for me although they do make taking a leak a bit more of a process.

I have a few pairs of long sleeve jersey's and probably a half dozen cycling jersey's in pretty good shape. Then I have a bunch of old race team jersey's from my racing days that I don't wear much, mostly because they're pretty ratty. I probably have at least a dozen pairs of bike socks, 3-4 short finger bike gloves and a couple pair of long finger bike gloves.

One pair of heavy tights and one pair of light tights as well as a couple pairs of arm and leg warmers. I have I think, two good cycling jackets and one or two older ones that could be pressed into service if needed. I also have a few cycling specific vests that I also use a lot for Nordic skiing.

One fairly new helmet and one older one that stays in the car for use as a spare.

Two pairs of MTB shoes, one pair Sidi Dominators for regular every day riding and one pair Specialized carbon race shoes as well as a pair of Sidi road shoes.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Personally, for me if I have to count my bike clothes it means I have too many. I suppose if I could ride more than 1-2x per week I would need more, but I try to keep it simple.
    Only bike clothing I got this Christmas was a nice brand name shell jacket- honest I thought to myself "wow this is really nice, I would never buy this for myself".

mtbr member
    Ughh...I'm trying to find the correlation between cycling clothing...and passion. I'm sure you would get a better reply had you posted in the apparel forum. On a side note, I find it weird that you're curios about how much clothing/accessories we have as if that even really matters at all. Nothing wrong with being curious...but really dude? Had it been a question about what materials feel good, or what brands fit better I would have understood but this just asks what we have.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    some people are very passionate about their clothing.. I'm not and have about 5 shirts, 6 pairs of socks 2 bibs and 3 bike shorts...and thats about it
    do have 2 shirts that don't fit, maybe enough exercise and i will...well thats my goal anyway