Thread: old school fun

mtbr member

old school fun

The front hub bearings on my 29er are pretty much shot and LBS doesn't carry the bearings I need, so I took my old bike that I've been gradually modernizing via trade for the last few months. Its' a rigid 26" bike that I got for my 16th birthday - probably a bit small for me at this point but I've been riding it for almost 16 years now so it always just feels "right". It feels even better now that I've turned it from a 3x7 gearing to 1x9, and put on some slightly wider bars than it came from the factory with. It felt a lot like I was back in the old days - flat BMX pedals, skate shoes, etc... I was a bit concerned about riding with tubes after a year without (I am kinda heavy and pinchflat a lot) but didn't get any flats.

Ended up riding about 18 miles yesterday on it, and felt better and faster than I have in years. It was like I was 16 all over again - doing all kinds of stupid things, riding across logs I have no business on, etc... Hoping I can work my old ride into the rotation more often, because it felt so good - the youthful energy has carried over into today even. Just hope the guys I ride with can handle it - they credit the increased speed to having gears (I normally ride a singlespeed) but I know better.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Right on man! glad you had fun!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Awesome! About 18 months back I turned my 91 Trek into a ss after collecting dust for 4 years. Best 30 bucks I spent for mt biking stuff.

Rogue Exterminator
    Sweet, I have an '89 Giant Iguana I am tuning up to screw around with.
    Got me itching to get back to it

balance_fit
    Jul 2010
    Quite interesting to see this thread, just after writing a related reply. The classic, old school feeling never dies. In fact, one can go trough all kinds of techie experiences and come back full circle to the essential thing, that is, simply riding.
    Be well !
    Simple, not easy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Ride the 1989 Trek 970 about once a week just to remind myself how far this sport has come.
    Slower and much more cautious on that then the new stuff, but still have a lot of fun. Plus, all the other old farts view it as a conversation starter....

Plan #123-D
    Pics! I've been old schooling it as well....not as comfortable as my JET9 but this rehabbed 90's Voodoo sure is fun! Also running 1x9 instead of original 3x7. I have the original headbadge as well, just haven't installed it yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails old school fun-img_4449.jpg  

old school fun-img_4450.jpg  

old school fun-img_4493.jpg  

Last edited by The_Aaron; 12-05-2012 at 10:15 AM.
    C'mon lets go for a whirl.

Air Pirate
    Over my Thanksgiving break I dug out my old Ross Mt Whitney frame from the shed. Last time it was ridden was in 1989. Spent the couple of days ridding the chrome finish frame and fork of rust, polishing up with Simichrome, and overhauling. It had the complete Shimano Deerhead component group, but I changed out the cantilever brakes for a set of V's as I did not have replacement brake pads in my spares box. Put on a newer 8 speed wheelset (frame spaced at 132.5, even back in 1985) and it was ready to ride.

The minute I got on the thing it was as if the last 23 years of riding other bikes never happened. It felt so familiar, so comfortable (I had spent a LOT of time on that bike back in the day) that I was able to go for a short ride on a local dirt farmroad without that feeling I had to learn the handling of a new bike.

This will probably spend most of it's time in the pain cave on the trainer this winter, but I will probably take it out to the local singletrack to relive my youth at least one day soon.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokchoicowboy View Post
    The minute I got on the thing it was as if the last 23 years of riding other bikes never happened. It felt so familiar, so comfortable (I had spent a LOT of time on that bike back in the day) that I was able to go for a short ride on a local dirt farmroad without that feeling I had to learn the handling of a new bike.
    This was my experience, almost exactly. I had it at a place down in Delaware that I've been going since I was a kid that has very flowy trails - not sure I could handle the rocky stuff on a 26 x 2.0 tire anymore without getting a suspension fork, and I'm hoping to put that off for as long as my back will allow. I have a new dog trailer awaiting assembly so this ride is going to be on towing duty. Seems like a damn shame given how much fun I had on it, but I'm sure the dogs will enjoy. I'm going to have to make a point to get it out once in a while though - maybe even get it some proper wheels (I think the ones I have on there now were the factory wheels off someone's 2002 rockhopper). Right now I'm almost hoping the new bearings I need for my singlespeed's front hub take their time to arrive so I can get another ride or two in on this one
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    I had the same epiphany a few years ago when I broke the rear triangle on the FS bike I was riding at the time. While I was waiting for parts, I threw together a (pre-Trek) Bontrager Off-Road that I had hanging over my bench (1" headset, rigid fork, canti's) . I rode the bejesus out of it until the frame finally broke (it had lived a VERY hard life). Even today, one of my favorite bikes to pull out and ride at Bent Creek is my steel full rigid 26" bike. It's light, and handles like a big BMX bike, but with disk brakes
    Pisgah Area SORBA

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    ... your idea of technical may be much different than other peoples idea of technical.