mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Old Bikes (separation anxiety)

(First post!)

I've been looking for a new ride lately. Signed up for this forum to see what's happening. I'm Sort of shocked by the high prices of bikes. Also really unsure about 26, 27.5, 29. Hate the swept handlebars. blah, blah, blah...the search isn't going well.

Anyway, went for a ride today on my old Gary Fisher Tasajara. It's 12 years old and everything about it is out of date (see photo). But, man I love that bike! It just feels right. Still shifts precisely and feels solid. Now I'm thinking about just replacing forks, wheels, etc and keeping it old school.

Anybody else regularly ride a "vintage" bike?

Old Bikes  (separation anxiety)-bike.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Check the vintage ,retro forum lots of guys and gals still ride older bikes. Be aware that trying to upgrade a older bike can be like opening a can of worms. You would need to find the right travel fork ,non taper, quick release hub. If you wanted to go to discs ,then you might need to replace the shifters too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I just (3 days ago) picked up a trek fuel. Before that was still on my 2002 giant iguana with full xtr drivetrain. I am with you on pricing. OMG. Oh well. Ride what you have and enjoy. Surf CL for a good deal in your area.

mtbr member
    Not me, I ride a 5.5" travel full suspension bike with hydraulic disc brakes and big tyres that weighs the same as my first rigid steel mtb and is a hell of a lot stiffer and stronger, and there's no way I'd go back! Often changes take a bit of getting used to, I thought I'd hate wide handlebars after riding a friends bike around the carpark, put a set of 740mm Renthals on my bike and after one ride I was sold on them.

At the end of the day though, it doesn't matter what kind of bike it is so long as you have fun riding it!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    you think like I do david!!! I am building a 97 rock hopper I picked up for $5 at a yard sale in sorry shape.....nothing wrong with an old ride..... ride what you got,if it works and you cant afford a now bike nothing wrong with that!... I also had sticker shock a few years ago when I was getting back into mountain biking
    97 specialized rockhopper....$5 garage sale find, rebuild project

beater magna great divide urban commuter bike-RIP

mtbr member
    One of my first "real" mountain bikes was a Gary Fisher Tassajara. I love that thing. In fact, I still ride it on occasion, but there have been some modifications (currently it is undergoing a re-paint and has been turned into a rigid single speed). Eventually I would like to swap out the wheels and put disc brakes on it. But I think I will probably own that bike forever.
    You have to earn your downs...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I am all old school all day long. I have 28 bikes, 26 of them were built before 2000, and the 27th is a cheap cruiser I have to throw a gas engine one. So one modern bike. I have used it about 10 percent of the time in the past year so that will tell you how I feel

mtbr member

Old Bikes (separation anxiety)

I Old school ride my homegrown hardtail a lot. I would say get a better fork. An older sid or fox float with the v brake bosses. Get a lighter wheelset and have fun!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I like that-separation anxiety. I have an 82 motobecane that from the time it was new the chain freewheeled on top of the cluster. I finally decided that it was unsafe and bought a bottom of the line bike with bottom of the line components. I like the bike-it's great, but for some reason I am stripping a mongoose some kid left here and I am trying to convert my moto to a shimano 515(or S1S whatever). Think I can do this, I got my cassettes pulled off yesterday. The fun part is going to be trying to set up the selectors and get rid of my friction levers.

I do not know why I am doing this. There is a Moto Grand Touring Bike identical to mine on the road I ride on-they are using it to hold up their mailbox. They probably have the right idea.

mtbr member
    I ride a 2003 KHS Alite 4000 that I built from parts back in 2003.
    Old Bikes  (separation anxiety)-img-20140419-00352.jpgI

I built it as my "upgrade" bike from a entry level 98 Mongoose. I built it with a light frame and Full XT level group. I rode it for a year and then got married and it sat for while. Then I dusted it off 2 years ago and have been riding ever since. Still a solid bike. There are many newer bikes out the for alot of money. Some might be fast and smoother, but for the places I ride this bike takes me there and I enjoy it. The only upgrades since 2003 where the fork, bars, and tires. Fork because I had a hard time finding rebuild parts for the 2002 Judy SL. Bars because I got a deal to try out wider bars (from 585 to 660) and tires because well tires wear down. Otherwise the bike is still speced out just like it was when I built it.

I have thought about a new bike, but I don't want to spend big money for it. The bike I have is 25lbs and works well and new bike would need to be some form of "upgrade" and I don't feel like spending $4000 to get there.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    I have gone through and sold several mountain bikes in the past 8 years.

2006 Specialized Hardrock Sport
    1999 Specialized Ground Control FSR
    2006 Yeti AS-X

I miss each one of them but don't have room for a buttload of bikes so had to sell them to get new ones. I have two mountain bikes and one hybrid and that is about as much bikes as I need.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I routinely switch back and forth between my 1997 Kona King Kahuna and my 2010 Trek Fuel EX8, depending on what trails I am riding.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Still riding a Schwinn S96-3 here. However, the only original parts are the headset and handlebars. Went rigid Origin8 fork, the old Quadra elastomers were dead when I got this thing last year! Mixture of period correct LX, XT and XTR on the bike with new Mavic CrossRide 26" wheels. Have slicks on the thing, and only ride it on the road. Works fine for what I use it for. Have almost a thousand road miles on it this year. Time to get to trails is scarce for me! Just bought a new Superfly 9.6 to indulge my trail fix.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Nothing wrong with it at all bro. I rebuilt a 2003 Giant Warp DS2 I've been riding for a decade with all the choice bits last year (check my profile). Spent a couple thousand doing it right, but it's a top-tier ride now! I love it. Plus I know that bike through and through and have no trouble maintaining her personally now.

If you love your old bike like I do mine, resurrect her!