Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ride like a girl
    Jan 2004

ol' pueblo roll call

so, who is going to be at the race in 11 (yikes) days? should we attempt a group pre ride on friday for those who will be around (assuming it's not pouring rain like it was last year)?

i'll be racing solo, and arriving early friday (i think). say hi if you see me, this year the hair is red, not purple.

-beth
    [SIZE=1]Though she be but little, she is fierce.
    William Shakespeare, MSND[/SIZE]

rohloff rich
    Glenzx is dragging me kicking and screaming down to Tucson. We'll get there Friday afternoon and it will be mild and sunny during the day and overcast at night (to keep the heat in) for the whole weekend.

Account Retired

Smile Team QQQQ sponsored by New Belgium Brewing

thanks to Ken in KC. An all internet axe murderer singlespeed team. Come by and have a beer. What time on Friday for an MTBr parade lap?

mtbr member
    I'm embarassed to say I am:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/passion/sandbagger-population-growin-3237-post25493.html#post25493

I typically like to keep a low profile, but if I am up for it, I'll try to make a ride if I can. (Will it cost me anything, because I REALLY think mt biking is all about paying somebody to ride?)

I should be there Thursday night... We have 7 of us (one solo, one duo, and one 4 person team).

King Lurker

2 more solo riders here

We will be ariving Friday afternoon. I doubt that we will preride the coures, that's what the first lap is for! I am going to have a hard time riding for 24 hours without adding any additional time to my legs. Little b we will look for the red hair.

Krash
    Krash

My name says it all!

Mythical Creature

yep, we'll be there

Hey beth!

I heard you snuck off to Phoenix last week! Hope you had fun. Welcome back to a better late than never winter here.... Talked with Ken & Jess (and Scott?) last night, and weather permitting they were thinking of going and doing some SHORT laps on some trails out by Nambe friday evening. My bet is that the weather will not behave, but if it does think about it. I will probably not make it as my dad is coming to town Friday afternoon, but I may be out riding (or hiking/boarding!!!) friday morning / early afternoon. Maybe the foothills are dry? Brian? Who knows. I'm counting on this week as being a total loss in terms of outdoor riding!

As for next Friday in Tucson, rs3o and I will probably get into town in the early/mid afternoon for a pre-ride.
    follow me on Twitter!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

Kathleen in AZ
    I'll be there with my 4-girl SS team, Bad Betty. We'll be setting up camp Friday and may go for a spin. Because there is no women's SS team class, we will be racing against the other ladies out there with gears. Should be fun! In our camp area there also will be a bunch of passion regulars on three 5-person teams, 3 soloists, and a great support crew.

Glenzx - you left a book at my house on your visit a while back. I will try to remember to bring it to the race and hopefully I can get it back to you.

LittleB - Good luck on the Solo effort! I'm sure I'll see you out there.

To everyone traveling to AZ from afar.... the weather reports may say lows in the 40s and that may sound balmy to you, but I swear it'll be colder than that!! I'm still seeing temps in the 30s on mornings in my Phoenix backyard and it's sure to be colder out in the desert. Be prepared with your cold weather gear! Also bring your sleeveless jerseys and shorts, and we'll hope for sunshine and warmth.

Kathleen

ride like a girl
    Jan 2004
    I might decide to jump ship to your team in the middle of the night! I kept hoping to see you this weekend as I was cruising around S.Mtn. I guess with so many trails, it's not a surprise not to see someone.

see you soon!
    [SIZE=1]Though she be but little, she is fierce.
    William Shakespeare, MSND[/SIZE]

Occidental Tourist

Aye!

Quote Originally Posted by little b
    so, who is going to be at the race in 11 (yikes) days? should we attempt a group pre ride on friday for those who will be around (assuming it's not pouring rain like it was last year)?

i'll be racing solo, and arriving early friday (i think). say hi if you see me, this year the hair is red, not purple.

-beth
    I'll be there with team Un Tope y las Tortugas. Two of us are going Thu night to set up and go for a night ride. Maybe the mbrs should have our own street at camp
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

Steep Hill

Idea! ...and what would the name of that street be?

That question could be for a new thread entirely...I will submit "Avenue of Hard Knocks".

My inaugural 24 hour event will be aboard co-ed Team Futzenfall. We got a team full of good, fun people looking for a great time. Look for our Team Banner above our camp site and come say Hi. See you there!

Steve

Fight the Kakistocracy!

I resemble that remark

Quote Originally Posted by LakeRaven
    thanks to Ken in KC. An all internet axe murderer singlespeed team. Come by and have a beer. What time on Friday for an MTBr parade lap?
    I come over from singlespeed board and find myself maligned by my own singlespeeding internet axe murdering teammate. What a world, what a world, may the schwartz be wit you! As team QQQQ Kap-E-Tan, I banish you to "run" in the LeManly start, I'm too gimpy, Ken got the beer, and Matt is picking it up in PHX. I think the MTBR parade lap only needs to be the upper half of the course, let's leave the seven lovely women to "race" time, the upper half with the new singletrack from the archway is pretty cool. The highpoint down to the race tent is a real blast.
    veelz

Gravity, not just a good idea, it's a law.
    The only one consistently and constantly applied, no exceptions.

I am Doctor Remulak

me

I'm one of the solo riders that Kathleen mentioned. Looking forward to seeing everyone again. Let's have some fun!

Mike

Its only 1" on the map!

Team SCUMBAGS SS

Quote Originally Posted by little b

-beth
    The SCUMBAGS SS team will be there. 3 out of the 4 coming in late Thursday night.

Bill Porter

Fragile - must be Italian

Team Bonk checking in...

I am part of a 4-man team who will be riding at the Old Pueblo. Our team is "Team Bonk" and we will be living up to the name. Our goal is to down 4 beers between each lap

Some of our team will be showing up on Friday. I might not make it until Saturday morning. This is my first race at Old Pueblo and it sure looks to be a lot of fun. I rode 4 loops on the trail 2 weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised by the new sections of the trail.

Definitely stop by and say "HI" if you see us. We'll have the beer cooler handy.

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I'll be there friday afternoon....

for a preride and try to scope out an area on the track for a pit. I'll then be staying in Catalina Friday night. Cya all there.

wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004

MaryEllen and I will be riding, wouldn't call it "race pace"

I hadn't planned on riding in the race until next year, (time to get stronger from all the surgeries completed/yet to come). But, we got invited to be on a great team, so we're in.

We're on a team called "Bontrager Wheelworks COED 5". We'll be in the big "Conglomo" (Trek) EZ-Up city, we'll be the Cannondale Scalpel riding interlopers!!!! Riding for fun, the world-class racers on the team, (Keith, Chipps, Greg), know there is no podium spot reserved, once they asked us to participate.

We'll be out there on and off from Tuesday. Back at WOW (20 miles from my door to the Expo/Start-Finish) in between rides for hot tub soaks, margaritas and safety meetings until probably Thursday/Friday.

Wooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CJ

Occidental Tourist

New question here. Phx Prerides?

Any Phx peeps have any good rides planned this weekend? I have nice long ride in mind but I thought I'd see what others were up to - might be nice to actaully meet some of you before the OP so I know who the heck ya are..
    Here is my rough idea - ride from my house (19th ave and bethany) to 7th ave T100, T100 to Papago ( I think I found a way to cut out some road) and to Tempe for lunch then back home (or 7th ave) via the canals for a little "road work"...just a thought at this point
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

swashbucklerette
    Good luck, everyone! I won't be able to make it out this year, but may you have terrific weather and fun laps. Hope you get to run into each other. Every time I attended, I had an impossible time finding people. "Just look for the RV" never worked. But I did get to hang at Shanty Town for quite awhile. I'll be lookin' for pics of Shanty Town II this year! Looking forward to everyone's race reports & pics.

King Pin

nm

OP is comin' up!
    Last edited by xrmattaz; 02-04-2004 at 10:54 AM. Reason: nm

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crash test dummy
    Any Phx peeps have any good rides planned this weekend? I have nice long ride in mind but I thought I'd see what others were up to - might be nice to actaully meet some of you before the OP so I know who the heck ya are..
    Here is my rough idea - ride from my house (19th ave and bethany) to 7th ave T100, T100 to Papago ( I think I found a way to cut out some road) and to Tempe for lunch then back home (or 7th ave) via the canals for a little "road work"...just a thought at this point
    Doing a couple laps at Pemberton if your interested. Not out to hurt outselves, but want to get some miles in. Also, doing a night ride tonight at t100.

Drop me a line at jeff-kellum at cox dot net if interested in join us.

Probably drunk right now

Yeah! What Veelz said!

Quote Originally Posted by veelz
    I come over from singlespeed board and find myself maligned by my own singlespeeding internet axe murdering teammate. What a world, what a world, may the schwartz be wit you! As team QQQQ Kap-E-Tan, I banish you to "run" in the LeManly start, I'm too gimpy, Ken got the beer, and Matt is picking it up in PHX. I think the MTBR parade lap only needs to be the upper half of the course, let's leave the seven lovely women to "race" time, the upper half with the new singletrack from the archway is pretty cool. The highpoint down to the race tent is a real blast.

About you doing the first lap. I'll more than likely be too drunk.

Ken

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My husband and I are riding it this year for the first time, rode the trail last weekend and its awesome! Am a bit concerned for the night ride in the new single track, that cactus likes to come a bit close to my shins! Should be a great time! Any pointers for a newbie?

mtbr member
    Looking for advice? First and foremost, have fun. I assume you're doing it as a 5-person team? If so, force yourself to sleep, change into warm, dry clothes, and eat. My first race, I didn't do either, and when my 4th lap came up at 6 a.m., I said, Hell No!

When on the course, just be sure to ride your race. If somebody comes from behind, let them pass (but don't stop and pull over; let them find a safe place to pass). If you come on somebody slower, let them know your passing, and say Cheers. If you come upon a Soloist, let them know how crazy they are for riding solo (and a pat on the back helps).

After the race, be sure you have enough "carbs" to recover from, and pick up your trash.

Does that help?

mtbr member
    P.S. This is supposed to go under JDAZ

King Pin

Wink Beer

I'll gladly do the first lap and running start if'n ya'll don't wanna.

Still waiting to hear from Jeremy re: beer.

Got me new Lume HID light today!! Boy howdy.....!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC
    About you doing the first lap. I'll more than likely be too drunk.

Ken

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast