mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Official Poision Ivy remedy thread

ok, look.... i love building trails , as i'm sure most of us do , but when it is 300 degrees out and 95% humidity pants are the last thing on my mind. as we speak, i have the worst poison ivy i've seen.

i know i'm not the only one riding who runs into this ( i'm sure its a lil diff. depending where you are, my local trails are paved in ivy)

so..

how about a few remedys?

so far i've been using alcohol and benadryl itch lotion.

god this suck...........
    i used to be a hot tar roofer, ya i remember that......day.

mtbr member
    This sounds a little extreme, but I've had some really bad cases of ivy/oak. Stuff that lasted for weeks. I found that for worst cases it's best if I take a bath in diluted bleach. While in the tub, I sometimes scrub the rash with an abrasive sponge to bust open the blisters. The bleach helps to dry out your bodies reaction to the urishiol oil.

I might try some tamer methods at first to see if they work for you. But if it is really bad, give this a shot. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I feel for ya Gilly... I just got my first case ever and mine was bad enough I had to go get steriods at Urgent Care. Its been over 6 weeks and I am just now getting clear of it. Miserable.

The one thing that helped with the itching wa a remedy I read in a thread here on MTBR. SUPER SCOLDING HOT SHOWER. It itches, hurts like a mother when under the water but I could get out of the shower and not itch all day without taking anything extra....
    Soil Taste Tester

Rides with Scissors
    I've heard of people having good luck using "Zanfel". Though if you have health insurance, it's probably cheaper to get a steroid shot at the Dr.

My PI issues went way down once I started carrying wet-wipes (with alcohol in the mix, not the "gentle" version) and wiping myself down immediately after a ride and I'm one of those folks who seems to get PI just by looking at it.
    Some days you're the dog, some days you're the hydrant.

banned
    4 boxes of old fashioned Quaker Oats oat meal stirred in a tub of as hot as you can stand it water. Soak for about an hour or so, and follow up with a cool shower of mentholated body wash/soap.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    This has worked for me in the past. Make a paste from baking soda and water, about 3 teaspoons of baking soda and 1 teaspoon of water. Mix until a thick paste and apply on the poison ivy and let dry. I was also told once that the inside of a banana peel rubbed on the poison ivy would bring relief.

That's damn yankee to you
    Aug 2008
    Next time you are trailbuilding in shorts take a shower with Dawn dish detergent when you are done. Wash your clothes and shoes with it too. It cuts thru the poison ivy grease and prevents you from getting it to start with. Technu is a commercial product that does the same thing but Dawn is cheaper and just as effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    You know....... whatever bike they are riding, assure them its the biggest bike of any guy you have ever ridden with.

mtbr member
    I've also heard that washing with Fels Naptha soap soon after exposure does the same thing. Dawn dish soap is probably easier to find nowadays than Fels Naptha is though.
    I know this doesn't help you now, but for future reference...
    We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

mtbr member
    I have used a couple of things successfully:
    Tecnu
    It pulls the oils out of your skin.

And also Automotive hand cleaner like Fast Orange or Gojo etc...

Get in the shower with the water off, scrub in the Tecnu or hand cleaner and then rinse off.

Neither of these are as harsh or hard on your skin as bleach or alcohol.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Zanfel is the only otc thing that works. And thats why they charge $30 for a small tube of it. But, it works.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    OK...I've battled Poison Ivy my whole life...when I get it, I get it bad. Washing your body after contact is the LAST OF YOUR WORRIES. Whatever you were wearing or working with needs to be washed...and I mean EVERYTHING...twice or thrice over if possible. Using a soap such as Technu works the best in my opinion...but it's expensive...so just a few go arounds through a normal laundry cycle seems to do a good job. If you continue to see spreading...it's because you have not ridded all your clothes and/or objects of the oils...this includes shoes and shoe laces!

Itching alone does not spread it...the plant oil does...but if you continually get the oils on your hands, and then itch...you're spreading it. Also...do not throw your clothes into a laundry bin! You then have the potential of getting the oils on the bin and every time you touch the bin, you're getting it again. I've heard the oils can still work for over a year after leaving the plant...so don't get it on anything else!

Common misconceptions...but in the last 10 years, I've been able to keep my reaction to poison ivy to a minimum doing what I stated above. Just be proactive with it. If you know you were in contact with it...deal with your clothes and tools first...then deal with cleaning your body off.

Now...I don't know if yours is spreading...but I wanted to throw this info out there, as many don't seem to realize it.

As for the constant itching...I've become pretty good at just dealing with it. If it puffs up badly after a few days of not touching it, I then make my way to the shower and scratch it all off. That usually is the end of it for good.

Hermit
    Quote Originally Posted by ric426 View Post
    I've also heard that washing with Fels Naptha soap soon after exposure does the same thing. Dawn dish soap is probably easier to find nowadays than Fels Naptha is though.
    I know this doesn't help you now, but for future reference...
    The Dawn just removes the oil before it has a chance to provoke a skin reaction.

I've heard about Fels Naptha, though. Said to wash with it, and then let the soap foam dry on the affected area. No first hand experience though, since I can't find Fels Naptha soap around here.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

Not dead yet, just playin
    +1 on the Zanfel.

It's stupid expensive, but it's cheaper than the mental health professional I would need after 3-4 days of incessant itching.

op
    www.msmtb.org - Mississippi Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    "gearwhine" gives some excellent info on dealing with it post exposure. I have dealt with it my whole life, too. In addition to other soaps, I have used Lava brand bar soap and Prell shampoo with good success.
    Old and slow trumps dead and gone.

White Knuckle Rider
    I used to NEVER get it... no matter what. I could pull it up bare handed when I was young, but now I get it all the time, even if I just ride by on my bike. I've heard it's actually getting more potent due to the enviromental changes... might be BS, but I did hear that.
    EAT, DRINK, AND BE MERRY... FOR TOMORROW WE DIE.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    this has turned out to be a pretty useful thread. good stuff fellas.

today at work has turned out to be an extream will power test haha

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Hot tub

Quote Originally Posted by raoul duke View Post
    This sounds a little extreme, but I've had some really bad cases of ivy/oak. Stuff that lasted for weeks. I found that for worst cases it's best if I take a bath in diluted bleach. While in the tub, I sometimes scrub the rash with an abrasive sponge to bust open the blisters. The bleach helps to dry out your bodies reaction to the urishiol oil.

I might try some tamer methods at first to see if they work for you. But if it is really bad, give this a shot. Good luck.
    This works, the easy way is hit a HOT TUB!. The longer you soak the better then let the sun dry your skin. Wait to rinse. You'll be amazed the next morning.
    You can also dilute some and put it on a cloth holding it on infected spots.

Now if you got the rash from Scorpionweed, you may need a DR.Worse but much fewer allergic to it.
    Last edited by abegold; 07-20-2011 at 02:32 PM. Reason: sp.
    agmtb

Wrench
    I can eat Poison Ivy or Oak as a salad and not be affected, but my girlfriend's had good luck with sulfur soaps.

mtbr member
    Zanfel or Technu washes are the best that is why they cost so much. i have given out Prednisone (steroids) packs and sometime it doesn't work. then we go with the Technu or Zanfel. Benedryl or atarax also help but make you drowsy as hell. it depends highly on the individual on which remedy is best.
    Hooyah space monkey

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. What doesn't kill me, dies.

deep sea CCLXXXI

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by FNFAL View Post
    I can eat Poison Ivy or Oak as a salad and not be affected, but my girlfriend's had good luck with sulfur soaps.
    How does it taste? Maybe your girlfriend will become allergic to you.

I've heard people lose their immunity to it based on cumulative exposure.

Try taking an anti-histamine, avoid contact is the only sure way. Once you've contacted it, unless you've got it off in under 15 minutes, it's already working it's way in! Bleach might work, but consider that as a scorched earth policy since you'll probably damage your skin.

turtles make me hot
    I bought the big bottle of Tecnu for 16 dollars and I use it after a ride. So far, I haven't had any poison ivy yet this year except a tiny spot I missed. I rubbed Tecnu on it and it cleared up in a couple of days. I'll buy a bottle a week if it keeps me from looking and feeling like I do when I'm exposed to that demon weed.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I just soak in a pool or hot tub. You have to be in there long enough for the blisters to open then the chlorine cleans them out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    i'm strongly concidering prostic legs at this point.

(no offence to those without)

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Good advice so far. I second the alcohol rub. I keep a bottle of the stuff along w/ a few rags in the car for post ride rub down on any exposed skin. Much cheaper than Technu. I do have Technu at home too.
    Don't harsh my mello

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The only things that have worked for me is time and prescription steroids. Give your doctor a call and ask...

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by Katt View Post
    I just soak in a pool or hot tub. You have to be in there long enough for the blisters to open then the chlorine cleans them out.
    Gaaaah, hot water - this will open the pores on your skin and if the oil isn't destroyed by the chlorine(bleach) it's allover you!

I'm surprised it's worked out for you!

turtles make me hot
    Those prescription steroids are the best. I had to get them a year or two ago. My feet and knees stopped hurting for weeks.
    I like turtles

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    I get the stuff if I just look at it. If I think I have been exposed I immediately take a COLD shower and scrub my whole body with Selsun blue shampoo. This remedy is not just something I heard of or made up, it came from my uncle who is a dermatologist. Cold water closes the pores keeping the oils out and the shampoo cleans the oils off and reduces itching.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

mtbr member
    Excellent info in this thread. I haven't had any since the 60s, but now I feel jinxed.
    Mike
    2011 Moto Fly Pro

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by wg View Post
    Good advice so far. I second the alcohol rub. I keep a bottle of the stuff along w/ a few rags in the car for post ride rub down on any exposed skin. Much cheaper than Technu. I do have Technu at home too.
    use alcohol rub also, found it to be the best. after doing a bunch of trail work through a jungle of the stuff last weekend i did an alcohol wipe with paper towels afterwards. so far nothing!
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    i took a shower last night and while in the shower i scratched everything open. let the water run on it for a while. washed it with non scented dove bar soap. then got out, patted my legs dry and did an alcohol rub.

easily one of the most painful things i've ever done to my self. BUT last night and today i'm feeling really good so...............