mtbr dismember

The Odd Couple does Tahoe

Last Saturday (6/22) I wanted to repeat one of the toughest and longest (12+ hours) rides I'd ever done: Tahoe Rim Trail from Spooner Summit over Freel Pass, and down Armstrong, Corral and Powerline to the bottom of Toads. Overhillthruthewoods, easily the most talented person I've ever ridden with, agreed to join me. He has the trials skills of Hans Rey, as well as super climbing, free riding, and down hilling abilities. There has never been a greater odd couple since Felix Unger moved in with Oscar Madison. However, he showed amazing patience, rode behind me most of the way, and gave me some sorely needed coaching.

Given the great disparities between us, I pushed about as hard as I ever have, and I tried to stop as little as possible. I became quite concerned about blowing up quite early on when I did that initial five mile climb to the Kingsbury Bench much faster than ever. I have no Strava segments, but there are dozens along the way, and it told me I set many PR's. Last time I took easier fire roads to avoid the tough climb to Van Sickle, and some of the TRT above Heavenly. But not this time. So I am especially pleased that we took three hours off my last ride. All that nasty hike-a-bike remained me of why we call the Punisher ride the Punisher. But Overhillthruthewoods rode/hopped up pretty much all of it. I stalled on the Van Sickle climb and I finally put some serious scratches on my carbon frame, as well as bent my seat.

There were times I wasn't sure I was able to finish, but I had little choice but to continue on. And Overhillthruthewoods was always there providing encouragement. I give him my most sincere thanks! I was in such a hurry to get a head start that I just turned on the GPS and took off. It usually takes a few minutes to calibrate the correct altitude, hence all the elevations are about 400 ft. too low. Freel Pass is about 9,800 ft. I stopped as little as possible, so I didn't take as many photos as I usually do.

Overhillthruthewoods

Freel Pass, 9,800 ft.

Last edited by Wherewolf; 06-24-2013 at 02:14 PM.

Type A
    Fun ride, but Hans I'm not. I love to dabble in trials, but Hans is a true legend. Also, something is up with the ride stats. You did this ride last year and it showed almost 7k of climbing. My ass sure felt like a lot more climbing than 5.5k.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Great post, as ever. Sounds like you are pushing yourself harder and getting in better shape as the weeks of summer wear on. Tahoe looks enchanting, but some of those steep side-slope trails seem to have a LOT of exposure. Steep side slopes give my husband mild vertigo for some odd reason; he is fine with drop offs, but slopes drive him crazy. Still might end up there for a visit some day, though. So beautiful.