mtbr member

A Northwest Ride...

The day before yesterday I went for a great 3 hour ride in the woods near my house. There are three hundred miles of singletrack, open year round to mountain bikers. As far as I'm concerned its the best place on earth. Sure, it rains for 7 months at a time but its always green and I can ride through the winter.

These pics are from my climb up Capitol Peak, a nice 2600 foot grind from Mckenney camp (at 300 feet elev) in the valley. The trails at higher altitudes here have finally started to dry out. Yes those are mud fenders on my Blur, laugh if you want but if you lived and rode in the rainforest you would have them too.

A great monday morning ride. The forest was totally quiet and empty save for the sound of the birds and the wind in the trees. The creeks and rivers are all up making great places to stop and sit for awhile. Definately got me ready for life again.

Ride on....
    Attached Images Attached Images

contains quinine
    is this capital forest outside olympia?
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Debaser
    is this capital forest outside olympia?

It is... have you ridden up here?

contains quinine
    yes actually, last summer. i had a great time playing around up there... it's a world away from the sort of riding i do here in colorado.

my fiance is from oly, we're getting married at the country club in september. since i'll be there for quite some time that week, i'll prolly ship a bike out. i'll also be out sometime in july for a different wedding, and may just rent a bike for a day then.

those trails look like a lot of fun - not what i rode when i was there. i'd be stoked to hook up with a local the next time i'm out that way!

d

mtbr member

You were not alone out there.

Me and a buddy went up there for the first time on Monday. What a killer place! We did a loop on Mt Molly Porter trail (I think that was the name) and it was a blast.
    Do you know a good online resource for maps and loops out there? The size of the area was a bit overwellming.

mtbr member

Map of Nirvana

Quote Originally Posted by nermol
    Me and a buddy went up there for the first time on Monday. What a killer place! We did a loop on Mt Molly Porter trail (I think that was the name) and it was a blast.
    Do you know a good online resource for maps and loops out there? The size of the area was a bit overwellming.
    Here is a scanned map of the entire thing: http://www.olywa.net/jpl/docs/images/capitol-forest.jpg I highly recommend printing it out and taking it with you when you ride out there. Until I learned the trails and the lay of the land I took compass and a GPS. It's pretty easy to get seriously lost once you get back in there. One of my friends almost ended up spending the night back there without water when he got turned around.

The red trails are open to motor bikes and mountain bikes, the green open to mountain bikes and horses. The green are narrower singletrack. The red ones have a lot of motor bike traffic right by Waddell and Rock Candy, but once you get a few miles back in they are barely ridden and amazing for riding. The green are the best riding on the planet once you get away from the camps.

I am always looking for people to ride with out there and I have ridden most of the trails and a lot of the roads so if you are interested in someone to ride with let me know.

mtbr member
    Thanx!
    We decided to head out there at the last minute so I didn't have a chance to google for a map.
    I will give you a shout next time we are heading down.

contains quinine
    i rode up near wedekind - felt very remote, just what i needed on my vacation last summer. I got a copy of that map for 3 or 4 bucks at the us forest service place off black lake road (I think, i've only been out there once).

you guys have a hell of a resource up there!

singletrack junkie
    Jan 2004

Nice Map !

Definetely one to put in my "MTB Maps" folder

Is it relatively current?
    I know with logging there, it changes alot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDiamond
    Definetely one to put in my "MTB Maps" folder

Is it relatively current?
    I know with logging there, it changes alot.
    Yeah, its current. A few older logging roads have been blocked off but the trails are all the same.

The Riddler

That place looks ill...

Damn, I wish I lived where i could grind thousands of feet at a time. Oh well, something's better than nothing. Im going to add it to my list.

contains quinine

same place different time, different rider.

here's a few from last summer. i hope they're worthy...

i looked at my map. it cost a whopping $2.00.

have a good weekend. tomorrow i sleep in moab...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Bliss

[QUOTE=pg212]The day before yesterday I went for a great 3 hour ride in the woods near my house. There are three hundred miles of singletrack, open year round to mountain bikers. As far as I'm concerned its the best place on earth. Sure, it rains for 7 months at a time but its always green and I can ride through the winter.

I ride the area about ten times a year,it's great. One of the best places in the Seattle/Olympia area that you can go and ride for hours all on different trails. Nice shots by the way, I know those places well. Nice bike also.