govt kontrakt projkt mgr

Norba Dirt Day at Kualoa Ranch, Oahu lot o pix

NORBA returned to Oahu today thanks to the efforts of Chris at Bike Shop Hawaii.
    The events were short track and down hill and were held at the Kualoa ranch venue.

This one got out of order, so let's pretend it was the warm up lap.

#157 just got the training wheels off a few weeks ago!!!

Obviously racing delights her.

Serious face for the start.

Chris preparing the mike for the "call to the races"

Still lookin ok here on the 2d lap. This short travk event was 8/10 of a mile laps--20 minutes long, then cross the finish lap and do one final bell lap.

this about the 5th lap and riders are starting to tire.

er--tire quickly--I had some lactic acid here. Quite a few sport riders were lapped by the experts on the 4th lap around.

Even she and her baby took a spin around the race course.

The red bull wanna be was given freely. Rock n Roll I think. Actually it was good--I probably downed a sixer after the race--tasted very very much alike redbull.

Down Hill action commenced..

With plenty of crashes very close to the end o the run!

#111 steed at rest after 7 laps.

Official scorer hard at work at the DH finish line.

So I completed 7 laps; both my cyclometers put me right at 6 miles and 30 minutes for a 12 MPH avg. This XC short track course was not technical but did have one small grind of a hill followed by a nice swoopy down and then gravel and a straight away back to the finish area. So naturally my Avg Speed was faster than the much more demanding 24 hour course--but I was happy I improved on the sandy, flattish Turtle Bay course we ran on a few years back.

A very fun filled day. Looking forward to participating in the 24 hours of hell race again come this October--same location but if like a few years ago--longer 8 to 9 mile loops.
    With a lot longer HILL.

Well back to road cycling for a while now. But MTB XC is my true passion. Especially on nice buff trails like this---but no blood--I wasn't ridin' hard enough---my downfall has always been riding the brakes going down a hill--gotta work on that one!

Happy riding.
    Last edited by ArmySlowRdr; 07-31-2005 at 11:30 PM.

avg. joe

Way to go

Thanks for the write-up and the pics. Keep 'em coming.
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas.

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Nice pix Pete. They should do the race on the Maunawili Trail.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

Caboose!
    Great pics Pete...

This was the first MTB race in a long while, but also the best in my memory. I've been to most of the races in the past 10 years, and this one was one of the best run, most fun, and was exceptionally well attended considering the long layoff in the racing scene.

One especially welcome aspect was the return of the "fun" vibe that surrounded the event. I didn't see any of the belly aching and whining I've seen before. Granted, back then it was only by a select few people, but I know it was the final straw that made one race promoter give up putting on races (his last one was a beaut too.).

Big ups to Chris, Scott (how about those FAST results!), the Bike Shop Ohana, and owner Faye for putting on such an awesome race.

Let's let them know we enjoyed it, and let's encourage them to do another one...sooner than later.
    Aloooooooooooooha!
    Fat Jeff
    Honolulu, Hawaii

Got a PBS mind in an MTV world-Jimmy Buffett

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Very cool to see the Keiki getting into the racing thing. I imagine the island vibe to racing is probally much mo laid back then here on the main land. Keep sendin' the island pics, they are definatelly good to go.
    Mahalo.
    "You measure the size of the accomplishment by the obstacles you had to overcome to reach your goals."
    Booker T. Washington

http://www.cruxspot.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Cant wait to get over there.

Those pics are awesome. Over here in Wash. DC area we have a ton of trails, really great ones, but the people are somewhat snobby and dont have that Island friendliness about them. I am really looking forward to returning to the Island and hoping to meet some of you out on the trails. Thank you for the pics.

Bill

govt kontrakt projkt mgr

agree..

..children of course are the future...and its nice to see some involved so our sport thrives.
    Next pictures with writeup likely will be after the 24 hour XC race here in October.

Quote Originally Posted by OdaNelli
    Very cool to see the Keiki getting into the racing thing. I imagine the island vibe to racing is probally much mo laid back then here on the main land. Keep sendin' the island pics, they are definatelly good to go.
    Mahalo.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr

yeah..

I noticed that too--no complaints at all and a top notch job by both Chris and Scott.
    Looking forward to the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Jeff
    One especially welcome aspect was the return of the "fun" vibe that surrounded the event. I didn't see any of the belly aching and whining I've seen before.....
    Big ups to Chris, Scott (how about those FAST results!), the Bike Shop Ohana, and owner Faye for putting on such an awesome race.

Let's let them know we enjoyed it, and let's encourage them to do another one...sooner than later.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr

Thanks..

OMG! Can you imagine the carnage that would ensue if your suggestion were to be implemented! They'd need some air ambulance choppers on standby for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by zon
    Nice pix Pete. They should do the race on the Maunawili Trail.