Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I really enjoyed the read. When did you get the front derailleur repaired? Where did you pick up a new rear rim or did you finish with front brakes only? I may have missed it. Thanks for sharing

Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by aircooled View Post
    I really enjoyed the read. When did you get the front derailleur repaired? Where did you pick up a new rear rim or did you finish with front brakes only? I may have missed it. Thanks for sharing
    Aircooled,

I got the derailleur fixed in Breckenridge. I had to ride without a rear brake from Rawlins to Steamboat. The last day I removed my rear caliper because they had stuck too hard.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Absolutely amazing write up, Ive been glued to it. I was also wondering what had happened with the rear brakes, but figured you just hadnt mentioned it.

Couple questions though, what tires did you start with(i know one was replaced)

Also how long did you have to spend covered in the deer blood? Especially being that far out in the middle of nowhere with predators.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Awesome! Great writing. I can't wait to read the rest, I watched Ride the Divide a while ago if but your account seems like it's going to be more fun.

Dudette
    Thoroughly enjoyed it - thanks so much for posting!

Wrench
    Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by JPS2345 View Post
    Absolutely amazing write up, Ive been glued to it. I was also wondering what had happened with the rear brakes, but figured you just hadnt mentioned it.

Couple questions though, what tires did you start with(i know one was replaced)

Also how long did you have to spend covered in the deer blood? Especially being that far out in the middle of nowhere with predators.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    I should probably clean up that section, this question seems to come up often.

My rear brakes from Rawlins to Steamboat were not working because I didn't have a wheel that could use a rotor.

Then on my last day, the caliper closed down tight and wouldn't let go, so I simply unscrewed it and rode with a single brake.

I wasn't "covered" in blood, just had it on my hands and a few red misty-splashes on my jersey. I wasn't worried about attracting predators, the place I was riding through was too frequented by weekenders to warrant that.

I started with Maxxis Crossmark 2.1 26" tires. Ended with a rear Ritchey, no idea what kind. But it was an OLD tire. Probably from early 2000s.

Now with 10% more!
    Great read, very inspirational. You mentioned not having done endurance racing, but had you done long 75-100 mile rides or multiday rides in the past? Did you train for this? Just trying to figure out if the average man would have any shot whatsoever at this. Awesome read.

Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Dook View Post
    Great read, very inspirational. You mentioned not having done endurance racing, but had you done long 75-100 mile rides or multiday rides in the past? Did you train for this? Just trying to figure out if the average man would have any shot whatsoever at this. Awesome read.
    I had never done any bikepacking before this. My longest single ride with gear was 60 miles. I only ever did a 100 mile ride on my road bike once, and it was on accident because I missed my turn.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Awesome read. What an adventure! Congrats

mtbr member extraordinair
    What an awesome adventure. The stuff people like me only dream of doing.
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Nick, many thanks for taking the time to post that blog, what a brilliant read - well done!!

Could I ask how much weight you lost during your tour?

Wanderer
    It was a good read, thanks for sharing your experience.

mtbr member
    I just read the whole thing, super cool.

I admire you for doing it.

Just out of curiosity, dd you calculate how much total it has cost you in food/motels etc?

Thanks for sharing
    expensive cars are a waste of money. Expensive bikes...not so much!

\m/{-_-}\m/
    Quote Originally Posted by antgreen View Post
    Nick, many thanks for taking the time to post that blog, what a brilliant read - well done!!

Could I ask how much weight you lost during your tour?
    Judging by the way he wrote about food I'd say he may have gained a few! Made me hungry just reading!

mtbr member
    Well done Nick. Great riding and great story. Thanks for sharing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Great read.

What scares me is the bears and mountain lions, I would not do such a ride unless there was 3 or 4 riders sticking together, or I was 'packing'.

Blueliner

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by tartosuc View Post
    I just read the whole thing, super cool.

I admire you for doing it.

Just out of curiosity, dd you calculate how much total it has cost you in food/motels etc?

Thanks for sharing
    I think I recall somewhere that it was along the line of about $4K for the average TD rider. Not including bike repairs. No idea where I read that or if I just fabricated the memory or not.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

Really I am that slow
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    I think I recall somewhere that it was along the line of about $4K for the average TD rider. Not including bike repairs. No idea where I read that or if I just fabricated the memory or not.
    my budget was a $1 per mile, i spent 33 days on course and camped 22 days
    Read my BLOG!

Nipple twister and bike builder at Borealis

http://www.borealisbikes.com/

Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueliner View Post
    Great read.

What scares me is the bears and mountain lions, I would not do such a ride unless there was 3 or 4 riders sticking together, or I was 'packing'.

Blueliner
    Having shot competitively through college, I understand the "packing" sentiment. However, if I couldn't carry a 12 gauge with hardcast slugs, then it wasn't worth carrying anything. I did think about it, but my whistle scared off every single animal I came into contact with. Except for the eye-shine that I can only assume was a mountain lion.

I posted a small FAQ to answer a few common questions. Let me know if I missed anything.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by FNFAL View Post
    Having shot competitively through college, I understand the "packing" sentiment. However, if I couldn't carry a 12 gauge with hardcast slugs, then it wasn't worth carrying anything. I did think about it, but my whistle scared off every single animal I came into contact with. Except for the eye-shine that I can only assume was a mountain lion.

I posted a small FAQ to answer a few common questions. Let me know if I missed anything.
    Now I wanna know what kind of aminals ya sawr?!
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Those numbers seem like a lot of $$. I'm curious how budget someone could go for the entire route. Just food, batteries, etc. not taking transportation tomandnfrommthe route, what would the large amount go towards?

Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    Now I wanna know what kind of aminals ya sawr?!
    Let me see...

I saw Elk and Moose in CA. I saw all of my bear in Montana. From Montana to northern Colorado the entire route is filled with Antelopes. Mule deer were seen for most of the trip, but mostly from southern Wyoming and down into New Mexico.

There was that one small mule deer I put down in Salida.

The entire route is filled with Pica and other rodents.

I only saw eye-shine of what I believe was a mountain lion. It stalked me like a mountain lion would.

I didn't see coyotes up close though. No wolves that I saw.

Plenty of vultures on the route...

I'm curious how budget someone could go for the entire route
    You can do it pretty cheaply. I probably spent more than most (somewhere between 3k and 4k, but I had free airfare) but if you camp every night you can really cut cost down.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thoroughly enjoyed reading it. It also made me hungry. I wish there were more pictures of the food!

It seems that you have a genetic advantage of being able to eat ridiculous amounts and hop right on a bike. I think I might be most impressed with that.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cup View Post
    Those numbers seem like a lot of $$. I'm curious how budget someone could go for the entire route. Just food, batteries, etc. not taking transportation tomandnfrommthe route, what would the large amount go towards?
    If you want to race it you have to essentially buy or spend whatever you want while on course and then deal with it when you get back.

When you stop to eat you're normally eating at least 2 or 3 things off the menu. Motel fees when you can't face camping or want a shower etc.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Wow! Great read man I started reading it on my iPhone and had to switch to the desktop when the batt died. What an awesome experiance and quite a few times you made me hungry!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast