Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    It's been slow at the office this morning...... and this has kept me very entertained.

Fantastic, concise wordage has kept me riveted. Thank you.

I laughed out loud several times..... including when I read this:

"Dangerous? Very. But you reach a point where crashing at 20 mph or 40mph or 60 mph doesnít mean much. Itís falling off the side of a mountain pass or getting hit by a car that is really dangerous. So I kept going, reaching speeds that would have very much worried my mother.

But thankfully I was wearing a helmet, so I was completely safe."

I think I'm to chapter 9 or 10 and I find myself hoping the afternoon is slow as well.

mtbr member
    Wow...

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Just finished reading, Nick, I'm jealous you ticked off a few more miles than me

Congrats on the finish.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Great read. How many days were you on the route total? Seems like you made pretty good time.

mtbr member
    Great riding and an excellent read! Thanks for taking us along on your incredible journey.

mtbr member
    Great story, I read it all at once. It would be cool if you posted the statistics of your journey; mileage, elevation gains and loss, how much money did it cost, etc.

Wrench

There's still time...

Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement View Post
    Just finished reading, Nick, I'm jealous you ticked off a few more miles than me

Congrats on the finish.
    Not too many more. I read your account. That's terrible about your Achilles. Hope you healed up and are still riding hard!

I finished in thirty days. Not terrible, not great, but I finished.

I have an entire book full of data. Elevation changes, milage, everything. I can try to work that into a post or page devoted to it. I'll just have to figure out how to format it.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    This was the best ride report I've read in ages, thanks alot dude! Truly an inspiration.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Nice write up ...really inspirational.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    FNFAL: I thought outside visitation was prohibited? Did they say anything about that to you after the "race"?

TD Rule #2 FAQs | Tour Divide

Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    FNFAL: I thought outside visitation was prohibited? Did they say anything about that to you after the "race"?

Well, there's really no one around to tell you anything about the race. If you watched Ride the Divide, you will have noticed that one of the racers had her family meet her in CO.

I think the rules are more like guidelines for this thing. As long as you don't start cutting the trail by miles and miles, no one really cares. Especially if you're not in the leading pack.

There are those out there who believe that using motels/hotels should be illegal. Well using hotels or motels slows you down (for most people, unless you've got a plan like the NZ kid this past year) so I don't see the problem.

mtbr member

Way to rain on this guys parade. He needed little mid ride "pick me up" if you know what I mean.
    "A full rigid SS or fixie is 99% rider, 1% bike, and 100% more fun" Monogod

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I saw someone did the same in the Ride the Divide video too, that's why I was wondering if that rule was a rule or a guideline.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    This has been an awesome read so far. About at the halfway point. This has been a dream of mine since i got into mountain biking. Props to you sir! I'm terrified of bears!

Really I am that slow
    Quote Originally Posted by FNFAL View Post
    Howdy guys,

I managed to start a Wordpress for my tour divide writing. I'll be uploading all the chapters by the end of this weekend. Right now, I'm up to chapter 4. I believe I've caught all the spelling, grammar, and things that don't make sense. Hopefully.

If you are thinking about this race, give it a read.

I'm a total cycling noob, as far as TD is concerned. This is an account written by a total noob.

Nick's Misadventure Page
    a fun read! thanks for sharing!
    Read my BLOG!

Nipple twister and bike builder at Borealis

http://www.borealisbikes.com/

Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowerThenSnot View Post
    a fun read! thanks for sharing!
    Thanks man. Congrats on your finish! You were Northbound last year, right? I think that's the good way to go. Much better ending point.

Really I am that slow
    Quote Originally Posted by FNFAL View Post
    Thanks man. Congrats on your finish! You were Northbound last year, right? I think that's the good way to go. Much better ending point.
    yup NB, i think stuff is a bit less steep if you go SB, but yes ending in banff is pretty awesome
    Read my BLOG!

Nipple twister and bike builder at Borealis

http://www.borealisbikes.com/

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Nick, thank you for a fantastic story! You have some talent with the pen. Enjoyed every paragraph.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

Meat Clever

Dude: C U Next Tuesday comment.

FNFAL (Nick): Nice work, Enjoyed reading your epic. Cheers and well done!
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaEps View Post
    A little bit of pee just trickled out of my pipi when I saw that.

Bike Snob

That is true unless you can call it a "conjugal visit". They even allow those in prison.

Well done, great write up.

pedal me happy
    Oct 2009
    Really enjoyed reading your write up going on a multi day ride is a whole different thing
    and you learn so much about so many things. Really can relate about running out of
    food and water. its a whole new thing when its an hour or two away and your needing
    it now. Any plans to do it again, great job on finishing and on the recap.

Wrench
    Thank you for the kind words. I would like to do it again some day, but I'm not sure when would be a good time.

I went through and cleaned up a few typos and some formatting issues. Again, if I didn't catch it all, I apologize.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Strangely enough I finished reading my third book in as many weeks about the Tour Divide and was trying to decide if I was going to get another. Your writing is great and let me continue reading without leaving the house tonight. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    How much money did you take with you to survive? That's my only concern. Do you have pics of your bike setup and gear? Did I mention before how scared I am of bears??
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    Wow - great write up. My buddy Richard Ridlehuber started that race with you, but had to pull out after a week due to a leg injury. Congratulations on a great ride.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast