mtbr member
    May 2005

Newbie, Back in the saddle

As a child I rode a bike everyday I could, until I got my drivers liscense. Anyway, about a week and a half ago, I pulled the trigger on a new 2004 Cannondale F800, from the Bicyclery in West Palm Beach, FL (BTW, Great shop, Tom, the owner could not be easier or more pleasant to deal with). I work on a private yacht, am in awful shape, and my legs and butt hurt like no other. Part of the reason for buying the bike, besides being fat and having fun, is I am heading to the Hamptons, Newport, and Nantucket for the summer and cannot wait. I have done 3 five mile rides here in Florida, and once I get up north I plan on riding every day, not to mention the cool weather. The trails in the Hamptons are supposidly great, awesome scenery, and no riders.

So tomarrow I am doing an "epic," for me anyway, and heading to Jonathon Dickensen in Jupiter, Florda and going to ride a bunch of loops until I can ride no more. Trail conditions today were great, we have had a bunch of rain, helps with the sand, so I am totally stoked for tomarrow. I have been lurking here for a while reading everyones stories and realize how much I miss the sport. Anyways, wish me luck, it is good to be back, and hopefully I do not break myself tomarrow.

The bike: had a problem with the Hayes brakes, the rubber grommet that sticks into the lever popped out, I have no idea how, but the aforementioned Tom replaced at no charge. The saddle is miserable, going to get a brooks when I get up north. Otherwise I could not be happier. I had to buy a bike better than I thought I needed, after only 15 miles I am glad I did. I am back riding and could not be happier, no chance I am going to stop this time!!!

nas

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    welcome. enjoy. ride hard, but esp as a new one--know when to say when.....
    i think any saddle right now will prob be "miserable" until you get a good quantity of time in it..
    let us know howgozit.

yeah, uh............bikes
    Cool story. I'm gonna be down in PBG for the summer, and have yet to find a friendly shop, most are geared more towards road bikes.

I've never ridden JD after any rain, but I can imagine how much it helps with the sand and pine needles. Watch out for the southern trails, like osprey?, there is one part on the bank of a marshy lake. I rode it last summer and if there is no wind that place will smell ungodly. I think that the southern trails are the most challenging, but you should get a great workout if you do mulitple loops on any of the trails.

The hurricanes really did a number on those trails, but hopefully there has been some improvements since I rode them last. Have a blast and enjoy the trails!