Inbred Homebrewer

New Surly Pacer's maiden voyage yesterday...

My..uh...frugal side coupled with the fact that I'm entirely too impatient (to wait for mail-order parts) led me to strip down my old Giant and transfer most of the parts over to the Surly yesterday. Wasn't exactly the setup I'd planned on, but it really works flawlessly and looks pretty good too.

The spec:

'04 Surly Pacer frame and fork (TIG welded double butted 4130 chromoly)
    Drivetrain and brakes are pre-STI shimano EX400 7 spd double (anyone remember Bio-Pace rings? ) w/ downtube mounted shifters in sort of a bluish gun-metal finish.
    Shimano hubs w/ no-frills araya hoops. Performance Forte 700x28 tires.
    Time pedals
    Ritchey seatpost & stem
    Cane Creek S2 headset
    old SR Sakae (sp) modolo bars.
    Flite Ti/kevlar saddle (ordered a Terry Fly this morning, the flight is just too harsh for the rough roads around here!!!)
    etc

Don't have a clue how much it weighs, but it ain't light. It's sturdy.

Took it out this morning and rode to work. Didn't actually go to work, just went there to scout out a nice route for my commute. The first 27 miles flew by and I was having a great time. Time to get there was ~1:30. Stopped at a cumberland farms store in Washington's Crossing and had what has to be one of the greatest breakfast sandwiches out there. Sausage pattie on two pieces of french toast. Puts the McGriddle to shame!

Anyway, after I finished eating, I started my return trip by heading north on River Rd (Rt 32). The wind was un-f#cking-believable. Right in my face, and it felt like a constant 20 mph blast. It sucked. I couldn't wait to turn off of that road. The rest of the trip home was okay, but some of the hills had me dreaming of a third chainring. There were times when it was all I could do to maintain what felt like a 3 mph pace in my lowest gear. This was my first time on a roadbike since last July, and I definitely need to work on my climbing a bit. That, or I could move to Florida. I hear it's nice and flat there.

Total time on the bike was 3:15. Distance was about 52 miles. I don't have an odometer on the bike, but I drive a similar route every day. Average speed = 16 mph.

All told, I'm pretty happy with this latest project. I managed to get the bike on the road for less than $650, and I think it's fair to say it's good enough for me and the kind of riding I'll do on it (commuting and long, random solo rides).

Cheers to Surly and Speedgoat for getting the frame and fork to me in a hurry, and for breathing new life into a bunch of old parts that would otherwise still be collecting dust in my attic!!
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

Witty McWitterson
    It's nice to see someone bought a Pacer. I've been looking at them for a while, wondering how they ride. I'd love to be able to dig up the cash to grab one, but times are tight right now. Did you get a black one? I prefer the blue, but they're no longer with us.

Inbred Homebrewer

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~
    It's nice to see someone bought a Pacer. I've been looking at them for a while, wondering how they ride. I'd love to be able to dig up the cash to grab one, but times are tight right now. Did you get a black one? I prefer the blue, but they're no longer with us.
    Yeah, mine is black. I liked the blue too, but the black works nicely with the components I had on hand. I'll try to post pictures when I have time to take some and get 'em developed (last guy on the planet without a digital camera ).

I went with a pacer for a bunch of reasons. 1) It fit my budget. 2) Like surly says on their website, it was compatible with stuff I already had laying around. 3) You can run fat (for a roadbike) tires. Many of the roads around here are just plain horrible, especially this time of year when potholes, cracks, bumps, etc are EVERYWHERE, and the shoulders are heavily laden with debris (gravel, sand, silt, and everything in between!). Surly says up to a 32 will work, but I've got 28's on it now and there's tons of clearance. I think I could probably go so far as to get away with 700x35 cross tires if I want to. Lastly, 4) it's built to take a beating. If you wonder why this is a good thing, refer to #3!

The ride is sweet. Not as sweet as the lugged steel DeRosa loaner I rode for ~ 2yrs before it was reclaimed by its owner, but it felt good yesterday. Stiff enough to be efficient, compliant enough to take the edge off, solid enough to inspire confidence over less-than-ideal terrain.

Of course, a 4130 frame and fork that are a bit overbuilt aren't going to win races or build up into a lightweight rig, but that only matters if you're planning on racing, eh?

If you can scrape the cash together, I say go for it.

-Stick

mtbr member

Pacer

Sweeeet! Surly just got so much of the 4130 soul. Have been droolin for a pacer for my commuting for months now...you'll have to post a pic to stoke the fire..

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by islander
    Sweeeet! Surly just got so much of the 4130 soul.
    Exactly. Could've bought a complete bike w/ cookie-cutter Al frame from one of the bigger companies, but what fun would that be? 4130... Four digits that bring back lots of BMX memories.

Modified.. added lean
    Whatcha get... is whatcha see
    Full code.... get it straight
    Top of the line... never late
    Showpiece.. on the bars
    Expired sails.. KT scars
    Out ridin... backin' day
    4130.. only way!

(chorus)
    Better check your code, cause he never king
    Table toping low like we ain't ever seen!

Pro perform.. throwin tabs
    Hefty doubles.. tuff mags
    Numbered plate.. ahhh kiss this
    Chicken scratch.. hit or miss
    Pimp suds... spaced invade
    Mouthful.. fade away
    White knuckle.. pitched out
    Full bore.. all about

(chorus)

Flyin'...OverMy...Head

-Annodizer by Fu-Manchu

Map Maker

Surly love

Quote Originally Posted by Stick
    My..uh...frugal side coupled with the fact that I'm entirely too impatient (to wait for mail-order parts) led me to strip down my old Giant and transfer most of the parts over to the Surly yesterday. Wasn't exactly the setup I'd planned on, but it really works flawlessly and looks pretty good too.

The spec:

'04 Surly Pacer frame and fork (TIG welded double butted 4130 chromoly)
    Drivetrain and brakes are pre-STI shimano EX400 7 spd double (anyone remember Bio-Pace rings? ) w/ downtube mounted shifters in sort of a bluish gun-metal finish.
    Shimano hubs w/ no-frills araya hoops. Performance Forte 700x28 tires.
    Time pedals
    Ritchey seatpost & stem
    Cane Creek S2 headset
    old SR Sakae (sp) modolo bars.
    Flite Ti/kevlar saddle (ordered a Terry Fly this morning, the flight is just too harsh for the rough roads around here!!!)
    etc

Don't have a clue how much it weighs, but it ain't light. It's sturdy.

Took it out this morning and rode to work. Didn't actually go to work, just went there to scout out a nice route for my commute. The first 27 miles flew by and I was having a great time. Time to get there was ~1:30. Stopped at a cumberland farms store in Washington's Crossing and had what has to be one of the greatest breakfast sandwiches out there. Sausage pattie on two pieces of french toast. Puts the McGriddle to shame!

Anyway, after I finished eating, I started my return trip by heading north on River Rd (Rt 32). The wind was un-f#cking-believable. Right in my face, and it felt like a constant 20 mph blast. It sucked. I couldn't wait to turn off of that road. The rest of the trip home was okay, but some of the hills had me dreaming of a third chainring. There were times when it was all I could do to maintain what felt like a 3 mph pace in my lowest gear. This was my first time on a roadbike since last July, and I definitely need to work on my climbing a bit. That, or I could move to Florida. I hear it's nice and flat there.

Total time on the bike was 3:15. Distance was about 52 miles. I don't have an odometer on the bike, but I drive a similar route every day. Average speed = 16 mph.

All told, I'm pretty happy with this latest project. I managed to get the bike on the road for less than $650, and I think it's fair to say it's good enough for me and the kind of riding I'll do on it (commuting and long, random solo rides).

Cheers to Surly and Speedgoat for getting the frame and fork to me in a hurry, and for breathing new life into a bunch of old parts that would otherwise still be collecting dust in my attic!!
    I just built up a Pacer myself. I got the blue frame last november for a song and held on to it until I could scrape together some cash for parts. Got some real nice used parts and some nicer christmas gifts and my Pacer is now a sweet ride.
    I put a Brooks B-17 seat on it and with my Maxxis detonator 28 tires it is real comfy on the road. All though it is hard to un-learn mountain biking thinking: I have found trying to jump pot holes is not a good thing to do on a road bike.

I spec'd mine out with some DA bar end shifters and rear derailluer.
    Some ultegra calipers and triple ring crank.
    a Campy rear hoop on ultegra hub
    and a Mavic open pro on an ultregra hub front.
    I did use my extra set of 959 pedals so I don't have to get road shoes.
    all in all a very nice feeling ride.
    I am still trying to get the seat for aft postion right to get a proper feel in the cockpit.
    I wrapped the handlebars three times till I finally got it right.
    I hope to start commuting but a bad spell of weather followed by a bad spell with a kidney stone have me completely out of shape.
    I rode twice this weekend and I am still a bit sore. I think I might have pushed it too soon to get back on the bike after surgery.
    4130 rules!

Richmond, VA
    Ra-MORE mtb club

mtbr member
    Maybe after I build up the Long Haul Trucker, I can do an epic ride down to a Surly gathering with the Pacer n Karate folk......err well....I'll at least post some pics. Can't wait....

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I've got a blue one!

I moved all the components from my Giant to Surly too! Rides nice. However, I also have a cross check and I think it's the better bike due to the flexibility of the tyres I can put in. I've run it as a cyclo crosser, single speed flat bar and other combo's in between. I've you like tinkering it's great and I prefer the geometry slightly as well. I run anything from 700x23 to 700x32 in my pacer though but I need 57mm long reach brakes to do that.

I hope you enjoy it.

Photos of mine are here - http://www.bike2build.nl/surly.php

Rob

mtbr member
    Sounds like fun! I really need to try a steel frame bike besides my old 20 inch wheeled Huffy. I don't have a digi cam yet, so don't worry!