Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    Woods Ready
    Reputation: Harvo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    242

    New Riders (gotta love em')

    I have an extra bike. It's a GT, and the first mountain bike I ever owned. I guess I held on for sentimental reasons, because it's nothing to write home about. Not long ago, my career and work schedule changed. It was a good change that resulted in free evenings. The bad part of the good change was that I had to leave my riding crew. I tried to find a new group, but had little success.

    One day, one of my non riding friends was asking how I justified paying almost three grand for a bike. Instead of trying to explain, I took him riding. I let him use the GT, which I ended up giving him after he went crazy over the sport. In a month he was buying his own Specialized Enduro. Soon after, another non-riding friend was listening to our trail ride stories. He felt left out and wanted to see what the fuss was about. We loaned him the old GT, and he was hooked in two rides. Now he sits aboard his own Diamond Back. It's not a thoroughbred, but it's what he could afford, and it gets him on the trail.

    The GT has now been passed on to yet another non-riding friend of the three of us. This is another guy that used to give me hell about paing so much for a bike. Yesterday, I got a call from him. He was spec'ing out a brand new full suspension and wanted my opinion on disk brakes... and he wanted to know who he should give the GT to next.

    Isn't mountain biking the greatest. How about some stories of how you got others into the sport.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PROGRE-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    254

    Passion hit of the day!

    Reading that brought a tear to my eye! See, there was a reason you kept that GT!
    A good friend will come bail you out of jail.
    But a true friend will be sitting next to you saying
    "Damn... we fcuked up!"

  3. #3
    banned
    Reputation: Drewdane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,074
    C'mon Jimmy, just once won't hurt'cha! First hit's free!

    Dude, you're nothing but a pusher!

    Quote Originally Posted by Harvo
    I have an extra bike. It's a GT, and the first mountain bike I ever owned. I guess I held on for sentimental reasons, because it's nothing to write home about. Not long ago, my career and work schedule changed. It was a good change that resulted in free evenings. The bad part of the good change was that I had to leave my riding crew. I tried to find a new group, but had little success.

    One day, one of my non riding friends was asking how I justified paying almost three grand for a bike. Instead of trying to explain, I took him riding. I let him use the GT, which I ended up giving him after he went crazy over the sport. In a month he was buying his own Specialized Enduro. Soon after, another non-riding friend was listening to our trail ride stories. He felt left out and wanted to see what the fuss was about. We loaned him the old GT, and he was hooked in two rides. Now he sits aboard his own Diamond Back. It's not a thoroughbred, but it's what he could afford, and it gets him on the trail.

    The GT has now been passed on to yet another non-riding friend of the three of us. This is another guy that used to give me hell about paing so much for a bike. Yesterday, I got a call from him. He was spec'ing out a brand new full suspension and wanted my opinion on disk brakes... and he wanted to know who he should give the GT to next.

    Isn't mountain biking the greatest. How about some stories of how you got others into the sport.

  4. #4
    nachos rule!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    391

    That is totally cool!

    I'm a firm believer in spare bikes (although mine are a little too nice to be giving away any time soon) for just that reason. Awesome job Harvo, great story!

    -Eric
    plus a change, plus c'est la m'me chose - alphonse karr

  5. #5
    I love Pisgah
    Reputation: Duckman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,287
    Agree. I felt dumb after getting abit choked up upon reading your post...until I read anothers response just below about a tear in their eye. Good story for sure. My old Moab is my GT me thinks. I can only hope its as useful later on in its life.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    35

    oldens

    all my bikes have aged. Some lucky newbe will be riding my old steeds around for a lot less ching. word of advice, if you intend to trail ride skip the pacific bike department store stage, it will be good for your health.
    FIVE MORE MIUNTIES,JUST HOLD STILL !!!!

  7. #7
    Wizard of the Trail
    Reputation: Geist262's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    912
    Quote Originally Posted by xccat
    all my bikes have aged. Some lucky newbe will be riding my old steeds around for a lot less ching. word of advice, if you intend to trail ride skip the pacific bike department store stage, it will be good for your health.
    I STILL have a GT I-drive and I love the bike. So, you can bash me all you want! I don't see anything wrong with them as long as you get it at a shop, not Dick's. Anyway, I got my 2 friends into mountainbiking. I was telling my friend all about riding and he said MTBing sucked. I was shocked that he had a bike. Curious as I was, I asked what kind of bike he had. "I have a roadmaster!" he says. No wonder why he hates it. We went out and got him a Jamis hardtail. Now he's riding a K2 attack 2.0. The second guy I got him hooked on a mongoose sycamore. He's currently riding a Gary Fisher hardtail. I think the old Gt you have did its job. It got people out there having FUN, while riding!! It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as your having fun.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    527
    Great story Harvo. And it proves that you have to make things happen. No riding group? make one. And the really good news is you will be the most experienced rider there

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    125

    I've got this friend, he's a hippie

    well, not so-much a hippie as he is a long-hair. Anyway, I've tried for years to get him into MTBing. He was an old BMXer so the interest was there, but he didn't have the scratch to put down on a bike and I didn't have a loaner. We used to do a fair-to-middlen amount of drinking and one night (when I wasn't with him, so don't start thinking conspiracy) he got his second OWI. Presto-chango no driver's license for a year. He went and bought an Iguana. After a year of riding it back and forth (10 miles a day) to work, through the Iowa winter, he has morphed from Hippie Long Stocking into something more like a MTB rider. I recently added a FS to my stable and he went right out and added a FS (Giant AC) to his. Now we both have "extra" bikes. Although they are a little too close to our hearts to be the give away type, they may be loaned to a select few recruits. In addition, the hippie and I have done enough upgrades to our various rigs that a new "Frankenbike" is surely on the way as well.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rev Bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,985

    Excellent writeup - Thanks

    One of the early mountain bikes in our family is now kicking around Africa (or so I am lead to believe) and my first "serious" mountain bike, a GT Karakoram, is now owned by my best friend. It resulted in his wife getting into the sport as well as one of his daughters.

  11. #11
    Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Reputation: CraigH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,644
    Thanks for posting the story!

    I never saw it when you first posted it, but found it when I was searching for an old GT bike model, the Karakoram.

  12. #12
    Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Reputation: CraigH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,644
    Hey Rev, I have an old Karakorum too, but I built it up as a beginner trials bike. Rode it in to work today as a guy on the NSMB board wanted pics of the Magura hydraulic rim brakes mounted on a U-brake frame.


  13. #13
    Keep The Rubber Side Down
    Reputation: Mellow Yellow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,686

    Post of the week...

    Great post, Harvo. Keep getting them hooked. Let see how many people that one bike can get into the sport.
    Some of my happiest memories in life took place on my bicycles. - Me

  14. #14
    Unfit Norwegian
    Reputation: Dazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,188

    Those are not U-brake bosses, are they?

    Quote Originally Posted by CraigH
    Hey Rev, I have an old Karakorum too, but I built it up as a beginner trials bike. Rode it in to work today as a guy on the NSMB board wanted pics of the Magura hydraulic rim brakes mounted on a U-brake frame.
    Looks to me like that frame was built for Cantilever brakes, and no U-brake. Of course both v-brakes and Magura hydraulics fits it just fine.

    U-brake bosses are usually placed on the chainstays, just behind the bottom bracket shell, btw.

    Stein

  15. #15
    Harrumph
    Reputation: G-reg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,570
    [size=3]I similarly hooked a good frined on MTB’n a few years ago. My loaner at was my first real bike, a Nishiki Backwoods...from a real bike shop even!. The first couple of rides were fun, just showing him the ropes. This friend was, and still is a cocky guy, so I rode pretty hard just to put the hurt on him and ease the trash talking. With in a few weeks he pawned some stereo stuff and bought a GT Avalanche. We rode through that summer and he improved pretty quick, it was harder to get him winded so he would stop talking. We both went to college in different states that fall, he was able to ride year round-I wasn’t-and I blew out my knee. He also took part of a VO2 Max study with the Sports Science Dept. at his college( 4mo with a personal trainer to increase his V02)…And he started dating an aerobics instructor. By the next summer he had also acquired a Ellsworth Sub 22. And from then on, I couldn’t hold a candle to him. I felt like the Kung-Fu master that got his ass kicked by his student. So beware “Harvo-San,” your friend may catch up pretty quick.

    [/size]
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

  16. #16
    Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Reputation: CraigH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,644
    Yup, it is definitely a U-brake frame. I took the U-brake off it. Check the location of the SS mounting bolt, it is close to the middle of the tire sidewall. A regular brake post (canti or V-brake) is below the rim.

    I also have an old steel GT Avalanche with a U-brake.

    GT used U-brakes as their triple triangle design moved the brake low, and if they used a canti brake, you would clip the the brakes with your ankles.

    Here is a pic of a similar bike with the Shimano U-brake mounted on the seat stays.



    Here is a pic of a V-brake equipped bike mounted on the seat stays.



    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Sorry about hijacking the thread.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DoctorJD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    314

    I've got a couple of bikes....

    ...hanging in my shop as we speak just waiting to turn someone on to mtbing. A couple of years ago I bought a brand new Hard Rock frame off of ebay and built it up with that specific purpose in mind. It still hasn't seen the trail. Now, since I built my new Superlight, I've got a nice FSR-XC sitting in the corner waiting to be ridden. It's not that I haven't offered, just no takers. All of my friends are couch potatoes, they would rather play golf and drink beer than do anything remotely athletic. I'd be shocked if any of their heartrates ever eclipsed 100bpm.

    As far as bikes go, here's a another rags-to-riches story. I've got a good friend that I went to college with that now lives out of state but we've always stayed pretty close. We both got the mtbing bug about the same time. For my first "real" mountain mike, I bought a discounted VooDoo from Supergo. Components weren't top shelf but it was head and shoulders better than anything the WallyWorlds had to offer. My friend on the other hand, decided on going the dept store route...yes, a Huffy. I'll never forget the first time we got together for some riding. It's a good thing I packed my Alien that day as we had to stop and put that piece of crap back together about four times. When we got back to the trailhead, my buddy asked if he could take my bike for a spin, "sure" I said. It only took about five minutes for him to come rolling back up to the truck with a big grin on his face. The next week he was at the Specialized dealer ordering his Rockhopper. He now owns a very nice Santa Cruz Superlight.

  18. #18
    Woods Ready
    Reputation: Harvo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    242

    Already Happening

    So beware “Harvo-San,” your friend may catch up pretty quick.
    I went riding with all of them last weekend, and two of them can already almost keep up with my best efforts. They still have a lot to learn about bike handling though, and that will give me the advantage for a while at least.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvo
    I have an extra bike. It's a GT, and the first mountain bike I ever owned. I guess I held on for sentimental reasons, because it's nothing to write home about. Not long ago, my career and work schedule changed. It was a good change that resulted in free evenings. The bad part of the good change was that I had to leave my riding crew. I tried to find a new group, but had little success.

    One day, one of my non riding friends was asking how I justified paying almost three grand for a bike. Instead of trying to explain, I took him riding. I let him use the GT, which I ended up giving him after he went crazy over the sport. In a month he was buying his own Specialized Enduro. Soon after, another non-riding friend was listening to our trail ride stories. He felt left out and wanted to see what the fuss was about. We loaned him the old GT, and he was hooked in two rides. Now he sits aboard his own Diamond Back. It's not a thoroughbred, but it's what he could afford, and it gets him on the trail.

    The GT has now been passed on to yet another non-riding friend of the three of us. This is another guy that used to give me hell about paing so much for a bike. Yesterday, I got a call from him. He was spec'ing out a brand new full suspension and wanted my opinion on disk brakes... and he wanted to know who he should give the GT to next.

    Isn't mountain biking the greatest. How about some stories of how you got others into the sport.
    How many of us have 'spare' bikes in the garage or the basement (or that room you told your wife would be the guest bedroom but has slowly evolved into a gear closet)? I know I do. An old Stumpjumper. I justified keeping it because I didn't know if I'd really like the dualie. Or the single-speed. Or the 'cross bike. Now, it just sits there, collecting dust.

    Harvo, you've shown me the way. Stumpy is going to find a new home. She deserves to play in the mud again. She deserves to swoop through perfect buff singletrack turns, to grind up endless fireroad climbs, to buck wildly through baby-head nightmares. Most of all, she deserves to get her soul back, and to share it with somebody. Maybe I'll get a riding partner out of the deal, maybe not. But somebody will, right? And that's gotta be good karma.

    As for how I got into the sport, there was this girl...

  20. #20
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,396
    Nice stories indeed!

    Me and my 2 main riding buddies have organized a "get your girlfriend riding mountain bikes" day next saturday, so too small spare bikes are a nice thing. My girlfriend still don't want to try, she likes my bikes, but more as some kinds of sculptures than a tool for an activity...

    We are also bringing a roadie along and he better likes it, he bought a Trek Fuel, no less!

    I have a very nice spare but it hasn't got anybody into mountain biking yet, I keep it as a spare in case someone's bike breaks or has to be serviced for too long and, well I just can't get myself to get rid of any bike... I must be sentimental too.

    I also have 3 spare snowboards just to get friends to try the sport when the planet turns white.

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  21. #21
    Unfit Norwegian
    Reputation: Dazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,188

    Oh...

    Quote Originally Posted by CraigH
    Yup, it is definitely a U-brake frame. I took the U-brake off it. Check the location of the SS mounting bolt, it is close to the middle of the tire sidewall. A regular brake post (canti or V-brake) is below the rim.

    I also have an old steel GT Avalanche with a U-brake.

    GT used U-brakes as their triple triangle design moved the brake low, and if they used a canti brake, you would clip the the brakes with your ankles.

    Here is a pic of a similar bike with the Shimano U-brake mounted on the seat stays.
    Well, I guess I stand corrected, then. Sorry about that. (For butting in, not for standing corrected.) ;-)

    Stein

  22. #22
    Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Reputation: CraigH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,644
    No prob, I learn stuff here every day.

  23. #23
    Linoleum Knife
    Reputation: forkboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,287

    Good luck with that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Nice stories indeed!

    Me and my 2 main riding buddies have organized a "get your girlfriend riding mountain bikes" day next saturday, so too small spare bikes are a nice thing. My girlfriend still don't want to try, she likes my bikes, but more as some kinds of sculptures than a tool for an activity...

    We are also bringing a roadie along and he better likes it, he bought a Trek Fuel, no less!

    I have a very nice spare but it hasn't got anybody into mountain biking yet, I keep it as a spare in case someone's bike breaks or has to be serviced for too long and, well I just can't get myself to get rid of any bike... I must be sentimental too.

    I also have 3 spare snowboards just to get friends to try the sport when the planet turns white.
    Good F'n luck with the GYGRMB day.

    I've been trying to get my GF into MTB for about 3 years. Well, I tried for the first year, and now she actually wants to learn. When we go out, it is painful to say the least. Apparently it is my fault there are rocks in the trail, and that they go uphill on occasion. When I give her suggestions on technique she views it as a personal assault on her.

    Then after 2 hours of *****ing and moaning, we go downhill back to the car, and she says "So, we gonna go again tomorrow?"

    I can't wait til my sister comes home. If I take either of them out separately I get an earfull the whole time. If I take them out together they don't say a word unless I am out of earshot... which is fine with me.

  24. #24
    Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Reputation: CraigH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,644
    See if you can find a women's mtn bike camp. That really helped my GF (now wife) really get in to mtn bikes. Women learn differently than guys so riding and learning with other women seems to help.

  25. #25
    DHR Rider
    Reputation: Cohiba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    94

    I can relate to that!

    Quote Originally Posted by Geist262
    I STILL have a GT I-drive and I love the bike. So, you can bash me all you want! I don't see anything wrong with them as long as you get it at a shop, not Dick's. Anyway, I got my 2 friends into mountainbiking. I was telling my friend all about riding and he said MTBing sucked. I was shocked that he had a bike. Curious as I was, I asked what kind of bike he had. "I have a roadmaster!" he says. No wonder why he hates it. We went out and got him a Jamis hardtail. Now he's riding a K2 attack 2.0. The second guy I got him hooked on a mongoose sycamore. He's currently riding a Gary Fisher hardtail. I think the old Gt you have did its job. It got people out there having FUN, while riding!! It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as your having fun.
    hehe, yeah, I can relate to that! I still have my first FS bike - a GT STS-1000DS. For some reason I can't really part with it just yet, and it still does a great job as a trailbike. Despite its age, I've kept it in good condition and it still manages to turn some heads. Now I ride a Turner DHR, but I still love the ride of my STS. The best feeling is when you've gotten someone new hooked onto MTB.

    Good on you man,

    Cohiba

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Gotta love this bike...
    By MTBsSd in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-19-2006, 08:43 AM
  2. Gotta love Ediscount's customer service...
    By DeeEight in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-01-2005, 02:13 PM
  3. Not a hater ( I love Intense bikes)
    By yogreg in forum Intense
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-21-2004, 02:10 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-27-2004, 05:54 PM
  5. Ya gotta love empty trails
    By TJ. in forum Passion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-02-2004, 04:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •