mtbr member
    May 2016

New To this Need advise

My son 16 just got a Trek Hardtail Marlin 6 29er
    Wanting to see if this is for him.
    He is 200 Lb's Solid.

He really is enjoying his first several trips on Trails and Jumps seems to be something long term.

Now the issue Bontrager AT 550 front tire "potato chiped" Looking for a a inexpensive replacement. Not ready to fully invest $1000's

Looking on EBAY and Other sites but no idea what I a looking at.

Any Advise appreciated.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    You mean the rim bent? Taco'd would be the term. If that's the case you can have your local bike shop (lbs) can usually just replace the hoop and spokes for cheaper than buying an entire new wheel(hub, spokes and hoop). They'll also be able to steer you towards a stronger hoop. That being said, if he's gonna continue jumping then I would look at the investment of a beefier wheel set since it'll probably just happen again and eventually trash the hub as well.

mtbr member
    replacing the rim and not the whole wheel is usually MORE expensive. wheel-building is a very time consuming process, so they ought to charge you at least $50 if they are doing a good job to make the labor worth their while. (if they are willing to charge much less then $50 to build a wheel, I would question their confidence in their ability to do it right.) spokes are $1-2 each and the rim is going to be $75-150. I might re-use pokes on a wheel for personal use, but not on a customer's bike, especially after the rim has been trashed. plus the old spokes might not be the right length and you have one millimeter worth of forgiveness with that sort of thing.

lacing it to a mediocre hub is fine, but if you're going to spend all that money, why not get a nicer hub?

so a hand-built wheel would be a little stronger but cost close to $200 or a lot more, depending on the hub you chose if you go that route. there are lots of options that would be sufficient for your application for closer to $100. I posted two in the beginner forum.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Local bike shop may have a wheel, Facebook bicycle group for your local area may have some great deals , this site classifieds , and of course craigslist.

If it's 15mm axle, it should be simple to get a wheel

mtbr member
    Ebay's another option you can pick up a new complete decent wheel for 50-100 a new set 100-200. Id hit your lbs first though I admit I do a lot of shopping online but I also check with a few shops if the can beat the price with a reasonable margin I go there.

mtbr member
    If you bought it from a bike shop, take it to them and see if they can fix it, or will replace it at a reasonable price. Even if you didn't buy it there, it's not a bad idea to check with them. If your son does get into the sport more, a good relationship with your local shop is pretty handy. Good luck!

Training for the Darwin's
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
    If you bought it from a bike shop, take it to them and see if they can fix it, or will replace it at a reasonable price. Even if you didn't buy it there, it's not a bad idea to check with them. If your son does get into the sport more, a good relationship with your local shop is pretty handy. Good luck!
    Typically components are warranted for a full year unless you do something abusive. If the wheel taco'd it may have been built improperly (crazy that a robot can't build a perfect wheel) but they'll likely warrant it. If not, it's a $50 tops.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    Typically components are warranted for a full year unless you do something abusive. If the wheel taco'd it may have been built improperly (crazy that a robot can't build a perfect wheel) but they'll likely warrant it. If not, it's a $50 tops.
    I don't know, any wheel can be potato chipped/tacoed, if ridden improperly (e.g. 200# newbie) especially a lower end, inexpensive one. I suppose the shop might warranty it if they're feeling generous but they're under no obligation to do so, and most wouldn't IME.

$50 tops??

mtbr member
    It took me only a week to taco my original front wheel on my 00' iron horse raider cant remember the rims that were on it but I do remember they sucked more than doable for anyone to taco cheep rims.

Training for the Darwin's
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    $50 tops??
    Sure, it's a $699 MSRP bike which means they spent about $200 to put it together. Those aren't Sapim spokes and King hubs on that baby.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    Sure, it's a $699 MSRP bike which means they spent about $200 to put it together. Those aren't Sapim spokes and King hubs on that baby.
    Who's "they"?

When I last worked in a shop 50 bucks would barely cover the cheapest replacement wheel available.Maybe they've gotten cheaper in the last 10 years?

mtbr member
    I'm in agreement 50 is the bottom line price i've seen for any single wheel and i've been shopping around for new wheels for the past month only way to get cheeper is used wheels on craigslist/ebay.

mtbr member
    $50 might get you another wheel that will promptly become a potato chip again. $100 will get you something that will last a season or a few years. Be sure to have the spoke tension checked after the tire is installed and after a few rides.

Rod
    mtbr member
    It'll definitely be more than 50 bucks. Like others have said, shop around. Check to see what the shops have, Facebook groups, or Craigslist. Good luck.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.