Yappy little dog!

A New Moab (Day One)

Rather than put the whole trip in one post, I am going to split it up by days.

I've been going to Moab with my friends for quite a few years now. Last year we took a break and went to Vernal, UT instead. It was then we realized how much we missed Moab and decided a Spring trip was in order. We didn't put a lot of thought into what trails we would ride on what day, we just left that up to a short group discussion over beer. I secured a cabin in Canyonlands RV Park. Again, something new for us. This park is right in the center of town and walking distance from everything. In the past we've stayed at Moab Valley RV, at the North end of town. While Canyonlands RV is convenient, the clientele left a bit to be desired. It seemed a bit off-beat redneck for me and loaded with Jeepers who felt it necessary to get an early start with their muffler-less rock crawlers. None-the-less, a bed, showers, and beer helped ease some of that.

We packed my truck and left on Saturday morning, discussing what trail we would ride that day. At first the talk was of an easier ride for day one. After checking in, we threw that notion away and headed to Amasa Back. Our interested were peaked by the addition of new trails.

As the title says, this is about a New Moab. New trails and a new new friend riding with us in Moab for the first time. It's always fun to show people why we keep coming back.

We headed up Hymasa trail. This is a new way up which avoids the Jeep road. I always liked the Jeep road. I thought it was fun, but as this was the end of Jeep week, it was better to avoid the road. The trail was fun, though I think less technical than the Jeep road. The weather was amazing!

HyMasa certainly adds a bit more of a natural experience than the road. Looks like we hit Spring just right. Flowers popping in the desert are a treat.

Amasa Back still remains one of my favorite rides. Simple, isolated like an island of rock, and incredible diverse terrain.

There's lots of stuff to hurt you too .

We slowly made our way up and stopped to enjoy the views at the lookout point.

And then there was the downhill. A short spin on the jeep road to the new Captain Ahab trail (new to us). At first, it didn't seem like much. But, oh how that would change towards the bottom.

mtbr member
    Nice pics, Moab has been a bucket-list destination for me since I was a kid. Looking forward to seeing more.

dead weight
    Dec 2003
    Nice pictures. Amasa is a favorite area of mine. Bummed I couldn't make the annual spring trip this year.
    A bunch of my ride pics: http://uberfarm.com/mnf

mtbr member
    Very cool pictures, what are you using to get those?

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Obgod3 View Post
    Very cool pictures, what are you using to get those?
    Glad you like them.

Sony Cybershot RX100 II and some Adobe Lightroom 5 processing.

ready to ride
    Please don't take this the wrong way but I think less would be more with your adobe filtering. I only say it because I think your pictures would look better with less. Just my opinion though, and speaking from guilty experience.

Still great pics and sounds like an awesome trip. Moab is on my list for sure. Thanks for sharing!
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by mattnmtns View Post
    Please don't take this the wrong way but I think less would be more with your adobe filtering. I only say it because I think your pictures would look better with less. Just my opinion though, and speaking from guilty experience.

Still great pics and sounds like an awesome trip. Moab is on my list for sure. Thanks for sharing!
    No problem. I don't mind the critique, but I kind of like them that way. Most of the lighting on this trip was rather flat, so the saturation helps a little to bring out the true colors.

mtbr member
    Went to Moab / Fruita / Durango almost ten years ago...mid July, hot as hell...would LOVE to go back!

Nice pics and write - up ... thanks!

SPP
    Rigid.

ready to ride
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers View Post
    No problem. I don't mind the critique, but I kind of like them that way. Most of the lighting on this trip was rather flat, so the saturation helps a little to bring out the true colors.
    I hear you. Getting pictures in bright light during the peak of the day is tough without filters or processing later. Bright light tends to wash everything out.

Cheers!
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan