Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

New long travel bike...

2K views 38 replies 20 participants last post by  Jm. 
#1 ·
...hauler! I finally broke down and replaced the Exxon Contour with something that has a little more travel. Initial impressions are excellent, but I'm only half-way through the break in period so I won't be able to give a full review for another week or two.

I suppose this is the automobile equivalent of posting a picture of your new bike in front of the couch, but I was so stoked to finally get the rack on that I had to take a picture...

See less See more
#7 ·
If you look close enough.....

radair said:
*sniff* I had fond memories of the Exxon Contour. OK, maybe not.

I love my Outback, 130k miles and going strong. Don't fork up the paint putting that big bike on, eh?

{edit - photo by Pete}
And use your imagination. It lookl like "Oil Man" got ran over by the automobile. I see two legs, a hand, and a head that exploded. Pretty cool. Down with the oil industry.

TJ

#10 ·
TJ. said:
And use your imagination. It lookl like "Oil Man" got ran over by the automobile. I see two legs, a hand, and a head that exploded. Pretty cool. Down with the oil industry.

TJ
TJ - how about sharing some of that stash with me, I'll send you my FedEx number...

OK, OK, I see it. What do you call that appendage between Oil Man's legs?

#11 ·
It's too mangled to judge.

radair said:
TJ - how about sharing some of that stash with me, I'll send you my FedEx number...

OK, OK, I see it. What do you call that appendage between Oil Man's legs?
Everyone knows the Nor East Green is the best for the imagination. Sending you some of mine would be like taking sand to the beach. he he he. Here we call it desert brown.

TJ

#12 ·
TJ. said:

TJ
Down with the oil industry? Oh brother. You pulled me out of lurker mode to reply to that statement. I'm hoping you aren't truly serious. Down with the very industry that drives a major part of your economy? Down with the industry that allows you, however indirectly, to ride your bike whenever you feel the need? Furthermore, might as well pull the rubber and paint off your ride, let your forks, chain, derailleurs, headset etc. run bone dry. Don't wear any cool jerseys while out, or a helmet for that matter. You won't get much without the "oil industry". Shut your computer down too - it's full of chemically based products which, at one time or another, came from the ground. Not sure how people can forget that.

Granted, some in the industry lack care in regards to environmental issues and there have been serious incidents in the past (and present) involving the chemical industry but the statistics on how much that has improved (at least in our area) are astounding. However, there is ALWAYS room for improvement no matter how good the stats. I will admit to you that I do work in the oil industry. I can also tell you that the environment is a priority with the company I work for. It's important to the company, to me, and more and more, the new generation moving into positions within their ranks. This is true with most of today's refineries. Public perception plays a major role too of course but the people who work there must care as well. Improvements are a standard where I work and environmental issues are a topic in each and every meeting. Accidents can still happen but everyone does absolutely everything they can to prevent that. Of that, you can be sure.

So, if you mean "down with the oil industry" in a literal sense than I think you should really and truly give that some serious thought. If however, you meant "down with the oil industry" in terms of some companies' lack of care or remorse etc towards the environment, than I couldn't agree more. If your statement was said just as a joke than forget what I said entirely.

Cheers, have a good one.
Ska!

Nice ride Kristian!

#18 ·
Ob Xt

dbabuser said:
Good pick, Kristian. So what'd you go with? 2.5xt, or larger normally aspirated 6?
We gotta wait til my wife gets outta nursing school to update her '00 Outback...
I went with the XT. At our altitude, I think it's the only logical choice, plus I would never buy an automatic. Now I just need a Cobb Accessport and some properly damped shocks (too bad Romic doesn't make them for Subs) and I'll have a shuttlin' macheen!

#22 ·
Thanks Jim!

JimC. said:
How much will four Romic shocks cost to install?

Good to see you post, and the snow gone, happy trails, Jim
I wish I could put Romics on it. My ONLY complaint with it so far is that the rear is underdamped and it tends to get bounced out of it's path when cornered aggressively on our bumpy Eastern European style streets in Colorado. Then again, if I had really found this problematic, I would have gotten a Legacy.

Cheers!

#24 ·
I've been looking for that picture...

radair said:
*sniff* I had fond memories of the Exxon Contour. OK, maybe not.

I love my Outback, 130k miles and going strong. Don't fork up the paint putting that big bike on, eh?

{edit - photo by Pete}
I just hope that I NEVER have that problem again! As of yet, there are no aftermarket skid plates for the 05 OBs but as soon as they make them, I will order a set. I'm always happy to read stories of people with 100k+ on their Subarus--I hope mine makes it there and then some!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.