mtbr member
    Nov 2012

In a new job, maintaining the riding passion

I recently left a position I had been in for a long time which had predictable hours, was close to home etc which made it easy to schedule rides and other activities around.
    In my new job I am a sales rep for the northeastern US and will be spending a lot of time in the car but will have time to workout and possibly ride on those few days each week that I'm on the road. My company car is a small SUV so I could fit a bike in the back but am curious if others have had any luck hitting unknown spots and getting in decent riding. While I have a road bike which would probably be easier to work with, it would be nice to hit the trails at least sometimes if I could find networks of trails and not spend the whole ride staring at a map or phone and wishing I knew which trails to hit in what order etc. I'm sure I am not the firs person to go through this so am interested to hear what has worked for others and what has not.
    And now back t the hotel gym for another winter workout...

mtbr member
    I've found the regional forums on here very useful for just that. At the very least it's an easy way to find the local mtb club, and 90% of those have good trail info. At best you might find a group ride to join or someone willing to show you around.

I travel for weeks at a time for work, this forum has been where I started looking for rides. Plus staying at hotels I usually seem to have more time for research than I would if I were home; probably because I'm not cooking or cleaning.

It's true that some places have better riding than others, to me a so/so trail is still 1,000,000 times better than a treadmill, and 990,000 times better than a road bike.

Are you going to be hitting the same places or a different city every trip?

Swedetarded
    I agree with Joules.

Check the regional forums and look for the group rides.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    When I travelled around NY state on business, I kept my bike in the back of my car. When I went to a new town I stopped in the bike shop and asked them about trails in the area. They were always willing to tell me about places to ride and even invite me on rides after work. Found many great trails that way.
    Take your bike with you and find places to ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Kary View Post
    When I travelled around NY state on business, I kept my bike in the back of my car. When I went to a new town I stopped in the bike shop and asked them about trails in the area. They were always willing to tell me about places to ride and even invite me on rides after work. Found many great trails that way.
    Take your bike with you and find places to ride.
    what he said

Fat-tired Roadie
    Scope out some of the destination riding spots.

I certainly find it harder to maintain my riding practice with an irregular schedule. But travel also gives you some opportunity to explore - embrace it.

And get some running shoes. It's all about options.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Sounds like a good opportunity for adventure.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I know a lot of sales rep that make a habit of finding new golf courses. should be no different.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Scope out some of the destination riding spots.

I certainly find it harder to maintain my riding practice with an irregular schedule. But travel also gives you some opportunity to explore - embrace it.

And get some running shoes. It's all about options.
    I agree with this guy on all points. You're travelling, take advantage of it! I'll bet that with 10 minutes of research on the internet before each trip, you could find the good trails in the area.

Also, the running tip is a good one. Everyone I've ever met that had a travelling type job was either very young, very overweight, or a runner. Running gives you an option to get a quick workout if you don't have much time, and you can usually find route to run for a half hour "out and back" pretty easily.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    And remember to take the bike into your hotel or short-term residence. Nothing like waking up to broken glass and a missing bike.