Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    MTBR.com Addict
    Reputation: STrackMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    616

    New Bike Pr0n-Bling Bling!

    Well since I got my racing hardtail stolen a couple of weeks ago ( XPost: Bike Stolen Last Night 7/20 ), I got the chance to spec and build it's replacement. I scrounged for the deals and actually came up with some good ones.
    Build:
    2005 Fetish Cycles D&S - 19" (comes in any color you want as long as it's black).
    2005 Fetish Cycles Carbon Seat post (mountain rated, I checked!)
    Performance Forte Carbon straight bar
    2005 R/S Reba Race with Remote Lockout.
    2004 Shimano Hollowtech II cranks
    Cane Creek Zero Stack headset.
    Cane Creek Ergo Bar Ends (with lock-on compatiblity)
    Lizard Skins Logo Lock-Ons
    Avid Speed Dial 7 Brake Levers (They changed the design for 2005, no more view ports!)
    SRAM Rocket Triggers
    Shimano XT Rapid Rise RD (gotta change this out, works in reverse for the Srams)
    Shimano XT Front D.
    Avid Cables all around
    Hayes MX-2 Mechanical Disc brakes
    Performance Forte Team MTB Saddle with Ti rails (I love these saddles for some reason)
    Mavic X223 Rims mated to XT Hubs (love these wheels)
    WTB 2.5 WeirWolf on front and 2.4 Mutano Raptor on rear (ignore the tires in the pic).
    (Thanks to Dave (Ibisguy) for the tire contribution).
    2005 Time Atac Pedals.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by STrackMike; 08-08-2005 at 01:52 PM.
    [SIZE=1]
    Education Coordinator for Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay
    www.btceb.org
    Help us support open and multi-use trails.

    [/SIZE]

  2. #2
    MTBR.com Addict
    Reputation: STrackMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    616

    And the project in it's assembled state.

    On second observation, some of the cable housing could be a little shorter which I may still take care of in a couple of days.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIZE=1]
    Education Coordinator for Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay
    www.btceb.org
    Help us support open and multi-use trails.

    [/SIZE]

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ottoreni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,013

    Nice Bike!

    I have a D&S model frame I got early this year. I have yet to build her up. How do you like the ride. If I come into some $, I'll try to build it up.

    What travel does the Reba have?
    How does it ride?


    I
    You cannot go against nature, because when you do, its part of nature too.

  4. #4
    OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Reputation: Ogre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2,915

    I don't get it

    Quote Originally Posted by Ottoreni
    I have a D&S model frame I got early this year. I have yet to build her up. How do you like the ride. If I come into some $, I'll try to build it up.
    When I get a new frame I feel compelled to build it up that day, and usually am riding it within 2 days. How can you delay your gratification that long?

    Mike: Looks sharp. You're building up quite the stable of bikes aren't you?

  5. #5
    MTBR.com Addict
    Reputation: STrackMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    616
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottoreni
    I have a D&S model frame I got early this year. I have yet to build her up. How do you like the ride. If I come into some $, I'll try to build it up.

    What travel does the Reba have?
    How does it ride?
    I
    So far, the one ride I've had on it was good. Very cushy with those huge tires. The Reba is the non-Uturn model with 115mm of travel (about 4.5 inches). The chain and seat stays have S-curves in them to give a little flexibility like the Fuji I had. Going down was actually more fun than it had been on the Fuji. It just felt better, the 2000 Psylo Race I had on the Fuji felt a little flexy and mushy, not really consistent in action (I've heard they have gotten better).
    I'll have a little more to say probably after the Howell Mountain Challenge this Sunday (If it's not to hot, I'll go-I don't do well in high heat.).
    [SIZE=1]
    Education Coordinator for Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay
    www.btceb.org
    Help us support open and multi-use trails.

    [/SIZE]

  6. #6
    MTBR.com Addict
    Reputation: STrackMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    616
    Quote Originally Posted by 0gre
    When I get a new frame I feel compelled to build it up that day, and usually am riding it within 2 days. How can you delay your gratification that long?

    Mike: Looks sharp. You're building up quite the stable of bikes aren't you?
    Well, I received the parts on one day and the frame the next day. I was building it that night. It was finished the following night and I toodled around the neighborhood at 12am for about 20 minutes before hitting the sack. I was on top of the build as much as I was able to be this time...honest!
    It was finished on Thursday evening and on dirt Saturday morning at Lake Chabot (read my report over in Norcal-Btceb at Lake Chabot). So I was riding it in dirt about 34 hours or so after the build. Does that meet the criteria?

    Hey Dennis, two questions to you though.
    When are you going to get that extra RD hanger to me for the Sugar 1?
    Also, what size/travel fork were you using on that frame? (I ask because I think I'm using too short a fork and the pedals smack sometimes. It seems the bb maybe too low due to the 3" travel Sid).
    [SIZE=1]
    Education Coordinator for Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay
    www.btceb.org
    Help us support open and multi-use trails.

    [/SIZE]

  7. #7
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,586
    Wow, nice build up dude, real nice parts.Think you'll like that REBA once you get it all dialed in to your likings - still lovin mine after almost 1700 miles on it. Did you cut the steerer on the REBA at all, looks like you didn't? I have a ? about the stem :O What angle is that? Looks like a 30/45 degree or more, something I normally only associate with a n00bs bike or non-competative/very casual riders bikes - have a friend I ride with uses one, his sadle is about same height wise to HB as yours. Is the sadle at the height you'll keep it at or did you raise it some? Must feel real nice on the DH stuff.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

  8. #8
    OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Reputation: Ogre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2,915

    Build up

    Quote Originally Posted by STrackMike
    Well, I received the parts on one day and the frame the next day. I was building it that night. It was finished the following night and I toodled around the neighborhood at 12am for about 20 minutes before hitting the sack. I was on top of the build as much as I was able to be this time...honest!
    It was finished on Thursday evening and on dirt Saturday morning at Lake Chabot (read my report over in Norcal-Btceb at Lake Chabot). So I was riding it in dirt about 34 hours or so after the build. Does that meet the criteria?
    Well actually the comment about build time was in reference to Ottoreni's comment about having one he bought Early in the Year but still hadn't built. Within a week is perfectly rational even for a patience deprived individual such as myself.

    Hey Dennis, two questions to you though.
    When are you going to get that extra RD hanger to me for the Sugar 1?
    Also, what size/travel fork were you using on that frame? (I ask because I think I'm using too short a fork and the pedals smack sometimes. It seems the bb maybe too low due to the 3" travel Sid).
    I'd totally forgotten about that DR hanger. I'll dig around for it and see what it costs to snailmail it to you if I can find it. Look for a PM later today or tomorrow and bug me if you don't get one.

    I was using an 80MM fork on it which can with the original bike. I still have the fork around, it's an old Bomber but right now it's attached to a bike.

    --Dennis

  9. #9
    MTBR.com Addict
    Reputation: STrackMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    616
    Quote Originally Posted by 0gre
    Well actually the comment about build time was in reference to Ottoreni's comment about having one he bought Early in the Year but still hadn't built. Within a week is perfectly rational even for a patience deprived individual such as myself.


    I'd totally forgotten about that DR hanger. I'll dig around for it and see what it costs to snailmail it to you if I can find it. Look for a PM later today or tomorrow and bug me if you don't get one.

    I was using an 80MM fork on it which can with the original bike. I still have the fork around, it's an old Bomber but right now it's attached to a bike.

    --Dennis
    Ok, I guess it's me then. Poor pedal control or something along those lines. I was noticing I was smacking pedals more than I did on the Sugar 3. Maybe if I put the shock in the 3 inch travel position it might raise the bb. I'm using an 80MM 2001 Sid on there so I've got the right size fork. Just wanted to check with you what you had on it.
    [SIZE=1]
    Education Coordinator for Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay
    www.btceb.org
    Help us support open and multi-use trails.

    [/SIZE]

  10. #10
    MTBR.com Addict
    Reputation: STrackMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    616
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Wow, nice build up dude, real nice parts.Think you'll like that REBA once you get it all dialed in to your likings - still lovin mine after almost 1700 miles on it. Did you cut the steerer on the REBA at all, looks like you didn't? I have a ? about the stem :O What angle is that? Looks like a 30/45 degree or more, something I normally only associate with a n00bs bike or non-competative/very casual riders bikes - have a friend I ride with uses one, his sadle is about same height wise to HB as yours. Is the sadle at the height you'll keep it at or did you raise it some? Must feel real nice on the DH stuff.
    I have a few back issues that keep me with higher than norm bars. I still may drop the stem angle. I think it's around a 40 degree. The seat needed to go higher so I could get a bit more leg extention. Yes it did behave very well downhill. I was very pleased. I think I've got the fork near dialed in. I started with near the bottom of the recommended pressure for my weight. I did cut down the steerer a couple of inches. I haven't measured it's current length.
    [SIZE=1]
    Education Coordinator for Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay
    www.btceb.org
    Help us support open and multi-use trails.

    [/SIZE]

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    397

    Cool Ride...

    I was looking into the Fetish DSS when it was selling on eBay. However, I wasn't sure what geometry to get so I went with the Leader for less money.

    Did you get a chance to weigh the frame? If so, what did it hit the scale at?

    And what is your overall impression of the frame? Are the welds clean...does it flex much, etc?

    Thanks in advance.

  12. #12
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,586
    Quote Originally Posted by STrackMike
    I have a few back issues that keep me with higher than norm bars.
    Ah, I thought maybe as much. I did a similar setup for my Bro who had a bad eye acident about 5 years ago and almost got his retina completely detached. Now he can't really handle bending down to low or for long and he isn't a racer or anything just wanted to get some excercise. So I set the bike up with a 45 degree stem and a 2" riser bar, I also put the bar ends on pointing almost straight up (oh gosh here come the bar end police ) so he has a good height holding the HB and even higher using the bar ends for general cruising.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

  13. #13
    MTBR.com Addict
    Reputation: STrackMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    616
    Quote Originally Posted by 514Climber
    I was looking into the Fetish DSS when it was selling on eBay. However, I wasn't sure what geometry to get so I went with the Leader for less money.

    Did you get a chance to weigh the frame? If so, what did it hit the scale at?

    And what is your overall impression of the frame? Are the welds clean...does it flex much, etc?

    Thanks in advance.
    Frame and fork are about 3 lbs each. The welds look cleaner than most Aluminum frames I've seen, better than the previous Fuji. Be aware though, you will see bigger welds on most aluminum frames than Ti or Steel. My overall impression is that it's a very stiff frame. The rear tracks well and the s-curve chain stays have just enough compliance in them.
    [SIZE=1]
    Education Coordinator for Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay
    www.btceb.org
    Help us support open and multi-use trails.

    [/SIZE]

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ottoreni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,013

    How does the fork travel feel?

    I contacted Fetish and they wrote back telling me this frame is designed for an 80mm fork. You have a 105mm fork, right? Just curious if you felt it affected the steering any? I'd like to stick a 105mm fork on mine, too, but too afraid that it might make the steering sluggish. I primarily ride tight, rooty single-track. Just curious on your take of the 105mm of travel.

    Thanks much!
    You cannot go against nature, because when you do, its part of nature too.

Similar Threads

  1. I don't get the point of "bling"....
    By MacTech in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 07-14-2005, 01:06 PM
  2. Mountain bike jargon/ lingo
    By bstguitarist in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-26-2005, 12:02 PM
  3. Forks, Frames and Five Hundred Dollars.
    By AdamOn6thStreet in forum Clydesdales/Tall Riders
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-25-2005, 09:10 PM
  4. If you need to know this.
    By KevinVokeyJ24 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-24-2004, 08:40 AM
  5. Lance's Austin "29er" revealed
    By ncj01 in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-28-2004, 08:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •