Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Is the new Bike mag out yet...with this?

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  lidarman 
#1 ·
From TheDailyCamera...Boulder. (www.thedailycamera.com)

Boulder bicyclists strip down Magazine's Sex Issue features three in 'Body by Bike'

By Mary Butler, Camera Staff Writer
January 6, 2005

Being naked wasn't sexy enough. Boulder photographer Michael Robson wanted his subject � an amateur mountain bike racer and practitioner of yoga and Pilates � to illustrate her body's unique abilities for Bicycling magazine's Sex Issue, now at newsstands through February.

She suggested something Robson won't likely see performed again.

"I told Michael, 'I think I can balance and do a backbend over a bike,'" said Kim Rider, 47, who co-owns DJM Distribution, a magazine distribution company in Boulder.

Lying with the back of her head resting gently on the handlebars and the whole of her 125-pounds balanced on a narrow bike seat, Rider successfully stretched her 5-foot-9 frame over the bike, her feet gracefully positioned on the back tire.

The risqu nude portrait, in which Rider's private parts are strategically covered, is among nine in a feature titled "Body by Bike" in the 450,000-circulation magazine's January-February issue. Three of the nine portraits are of Boulder cyclists.

Also featured are Bill Goodacre, co-owner of real estate company Goodacre & Co. and father of former Victoria's Secret model Jill Goodacre, and Anita Lopez, the former Denver TV news anchor and founder of the Focus Foundation, which educates youth about the dangers of performance-enhancing drugs.

Lopez also was photographed for Bicycling's November issue. In the Sex Issue, she's nude posed seductively in a bathtub filled with selectively placed bicycle parts.

"If we were a magazine about checkers, you might not see a sex issue," said Bill Strickland, Bicycling executive editor.

"We've always wanted to do an issue on bodies because one of the great things about cycling is you get a great body."

Strickland said that the winter season, when few people brave snow and ice on their bikes, was a natural time to tackle the topic, which the magazine covers in articles such as, "The most erotic bike part," and "15 ways cycling makes you a better lover," he said. To appeal to a wider audience, he said, the edition was dubbed the Sex Issue.

Sex Issue model Goodacre, who is 67, laughed when asked about how he felt about being chosen to appear in glossy, full color with his shirt off and wearing Spandex shorts.

"I really didn't know what it was when I did it," Goodacre said. He said he didn't realize the publication, which has the largest circulation of any bicycling magazine, was read worldwide. Since the issue debuted in late December, he's received dozens calls from as far away as Alberta, Canada, where his niece lives.

Goodacre, who also is a member of the 60 + Amateur Hockey World Championship Team, was the most senior of the cyclists featured. The magazine sought to show a wide range of ages and a mix of amateurs and professionals to illustrate how cycling is a good way to achieve lifelong fitness.

Magazine design director Dave Speranza said all of the photographs were inspirational, but those of the older cyclists were even more so.

"When my wife saw the photo of Kim Rider, she couldn't believe she was in that kind of shape," he said.

Both the magazine and photographer Robson have received requests for posters of the Rider photograph.

Rider, who didn't balk at being photographed in the buff, said she was flattered to be selected for the spread.

"I'm honored that I can be a role model for other women and even men," she said.

Contact Camera Staff Writer Mary Butler at (303) 473-1390 or butlerm@dailycamera.com.

Mindhole if you see this, I saw your pic but didn't use it! :D

See less See more
#3 ·
airwreck said:
showed up in the mail here yesterday, which means you should have seen it a month ago on the mainland.

The Marla heart rate monitor on during sex article is worthy of mention also.

I guess they are just trying to broaden their advertising base.
Not "Bike," but "Bicycling." I've seen it around.

#10 ·
It's okay, they're way more interesting naked.

Mindhole if you see this, I saw your pic but didn't use it! :D
[/QUOTE]

The female readers got gypped, for sure, because all the pictures of men were BOR-RING!!

Also, I refuse to believe that Anita Lopez only weighs 118 pounds. Her knockers look like they each weigh about 25. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.