Thread: New bike build

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

New bike build

I'm kind of new to this so bare with me. I thought I'd put pics up of my new build since the bike will never be this clean again. It actually exceeded my expectaions. I ordered the frame from John Castellano. I was unsure if I wanted to go with a 15" or a 16.5" but the 16.5" seems to be just fine. Frame is not only a peice of art but it performs as well as it looks. I got the WB 1.0 air 100 mm of travel It's so sweet. The Deus Cranks are crazy stiff and not as hard to install as what I intially thought. The adustable chainline was helpful too. The martas I had to cut the rear line that was no problem, but during bleeding I don't think I quite got it bleed properly, I saw some other tips that I think will work. Once the rear is bleed properly I expect it to work as good as the front is now. I laced 317's to american classic hubs and I'm pleased with them. Got a sweet deal on the rims at Universal cycles along with the rest of my build kit. I used their online bike builder and I can't say enough about my whole experience with Universal. Other Components: sram .7 trigger shifters with .9 deraileur (they rock). Easton Carbon .75 rise monkeylite. Thomson post, wtb rocket team saddle, shimano xt front derail, chain, and cassette. I went with Race face evolve stem, and deus headset. I wanted another king so bad like my hardtail but decided to go with the RF Deus mainly due to $. Tires I also got from John Castellano he helped design them and offered me a deal I couldn't pass up. He is a great guy. Kegel's bike shop got my headset pressed in a jiffy and as always did a great job. I also through in a Pic of my first MTB a 96 ground control. Original equip came with rst fork, canti brakes. I just sold it last year it broke my heart. It's weight was around 31 pounds the fango is about 24.5 lbs. (Side note I had to shrink the pics to 640 by 480 and lost some quality). Well thanks for thanks for reading my thread.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My pants are smart.
    Jun 2004
    nice job...

it looks good - now go get it muddy!

Alright, let's ride!
    Great looking bike. Had enough time on it to give a review yet?

Oh, and great choice on the fork. I've been riding that fork for two years now and have really enjoyed it. I'm hoping to get another two years on it once I get it back from Eko sports, sent it in yesterday to have it rebuilt.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

rock on

Well I did get it muddy and still love it. But I don't feel I have enough time to review any of the parts yet. On a side note I have an xc>4 on my hardtail and love it, that lead me to get the 1.0. Mainly because their service rocks. I sent in my xc>4 a couple times and they really hooked me up. Their turn around time in shop is like 48 hours how can you beat that. Plus I can't imagine them ever saying that part is no longer avilable, something these other 1-2year forks I bet say all the time. Can't say enough about WB forks.