mtbr member

New Bike = New Found Passion (Cycling History)

Hey guys,

I've been mountain biking on and off my entire life. Growing up in a neighbourhood surrounded with forests and great trails made mtbing a natural option as a kid. I loved it. As I stepped into my teenage years, I didn't ride much (too busy dating, driving cars and having fun - typical teenage stuff).

When I turned 22 I bought myself a Trek 6700 SLR as an effort to get back into shape (not that I was "out of shape", I just wasn't active much anymore). This bike brought me back into the sport full tilt! I couldn't get enough. It reminded me of all the endless days I spent on the trail as a kid, it was great . Then.... the bike was stolen out of my garage - I was so upset. I stopped riding as I couldn't afford a new bike at the time. It was a real bummer.

Fast forward to 2010.. I was getting lazy, gaining a little weight and it was time to get my butt back on two wheels. I bought a Trek X-Calibre 29er. Great bike, rode the wheels off it for a full summer - I WAS BACK! I fell back in love with cycling thanks to this little Trek hardtail.

In the spirit of giving my butt a break, I decided to trade my 2010 Trek X-Calibre in for a 2011 Trek HiFi Pro full suspension. This was (as I told my wife) "the last bike I'll ever buy" hahaha - I'm sure you've all uttered the words before. I was so much more comfortable on the FS, I was faster, had a huge group of guys I would regularly ride with. Life was great! We all rode multiple times a week, making videos, hanging out and having fun. I rode that bike religiously until the summer of 2013. That summer I decided to buy a road bike to help with my mtb fitness. The trouble was that I began to love road cycling more than mountain biking (I know, I know). I logged almost 6,000km on the road bike from mid summer of 2014 to the end of 2015 - while as the same time I only logged 150km on my trusty Trek HiFi Pro MTB....

Then we had a baby in the fall of 2015. As you can imagine, I only rode my MTB and road bike a handful of times in 2016, due to work and family. It was a bummer, I started to build a solid "Dad Body" and began to miss the "fun in the forest". I decided for my families sake that road cycling was too dangerous (I can't tell you how many times I was almost hit) and it was time to upgrade the 2011 Trek HiFi Pro and get myself into something more sexy, different and something that would get me excited to hit the trails again!

This past fall of 2017 I traded my HiFI Pro in on a new 2017 Trek Top Fuel 9.8 SL (it was a great deal). Something I was beyond excited about! I logged about 200km on the bike before the snow hit - but you want to talk about "PASSION"?? This new bike has me feeling like a kid in a candy store . It's amazing how something as simple as a new bike can totally shift your mind set and have you begging for spring!

I just bought my 25 month old son, Harrison his first bike! A bright green Strider balance bike - I CAN'T WAIT to hit the trials with him when he's older and share my cycling passion with him and pass my knowledge down to him as he grows

New Bike = New Found Passion!
    2017 Trek Top Fuel 9.8 SL Carbon Beauty

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Nice post. Yes, I recently said the words "Last bike I'll ever buy." Hah. Then I bought another one!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bjeast View Post
    Nice post. Yes, I recently said the words "Last bike I'll ever buy." Hah. Then I bought another one!
    Thanks. Yeah, my wife actually made me write on a piece of paper "this is my last bike. I love my new bike and won't ever buy a new one" lol.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by quikcolin View Post
    Thanks. Yeah, my wife actually made me write on a piece of paper "this is my last bike. I love my new bike and won't ever buy a new one" lol.
    Ya mine is not so happy when I start talking newbike. I get away with a new (or used) one every 5yrs or so. 3yrs ago instead of another XC I bought a Trail bike, a Kona Process and really enjoyed learning the skill adjustments needed to get "long and slack" to go around the trails. Now I find my times are quicker than ever and I'm wondering if the 'next' level of geometry evolution is going to be as much fun. Two more years?!? Not sure if I can make myself wait that long.
    oops I wasn't clipped in

No Clue Crew
    I'm with you... I got my second bike, my first "real" bike, in 2011. A 26" Specialized Pitch. Been riding the wheels off it since. The only thing stock on it now is the frame. Been looking and saving for several years and finally upgraded to a Transition Sentinel and the stoke is growing again...

mtbr member
    Isn't that the truth... my HiFi Pro was so upgraded it was almost comical lol. If my wife only knew the money that was spent "tinkering" with it

mtbr member
    New Bike = New Found Passion (Cycling History)-liotta.jpg

so this happened...
    New Bike = New Found Passion (Cycling History)-myevil.jpg

Candlestick Maker
    New bike = good
    Getting your kids riding = mo bettah
    baker