Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Y no grease?ლ(ಠ益ಠლ

never seen so much anti-bike hate

I know its road cycling, but look at all these comments under the story, they all want to run cyclists down for daring to be on their road...

Bicyclist Pinned Against Trash Bin In Beverly Hills Road Rage Incident « CBS Los Angeles
    Climbing ain't easy
    when you're fat and greasy
    - 2 Bigsteve

The 5th knuckle
    Pretty sad. No one on either side has a clue. Internet rage at its best.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando Gutierrez
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

Perpetual n00b
    People are on edge more so than ever. Cyclists make easy targets being that they aren't protected by 2 tons of steel. Also, everyone who rides a bike is a snob and deserves whats coming to them. People that drive BMW's are humble, modest folk by comparison. ;-)
    If you gorge yourself into morbid obesity, you can skip everyone else in line at Disney World.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Typical internet comments.

I've seen dumb cyclists and I've seen a lot more dumb drivers. Idiots spawn multiple modes of transportation.
    2005 FSR XC Comp
    2012 Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact

mtbr member
    Typical day in L.A , will never find me riding a bike in that city. Hope everything get sorted out and they get to the bottom of this......

Rode my bike for 5 years all over San Diego and Orange County never had a problem, other then with drunk people yelling at me.
    A person who never made a mistake,
    never tried anything new..... Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    I would like to think I will never allow myself to go completely over the edge like that.

I've only encountered serious road rage once. I accidentally cut off a guy on the highway. He went totally bonkers. He was screaming at me and swerving, like he was going to ram me with his pick up truck. This lasted a good 2-3 minutes. The whole time I smiled and waved. In hind sight I don't think this helped. Next time (hopefully their won't be one), I'm just going to look straight ahead and ignore them.
    I like to ride bikes.

Afric Pepperbird
    I'd rather put knitting needles through my nipples and testicles, and twist them up like a propeller, and let 'em go, than live in So. Cal.! I'm not saying this could not happen elsewhere, but So. Cal. sure is No. Cal.'s redheaded stepchild, for sure.

mtbr member
    Lived in Downtown LA for 3 years(8th & Flower). Moved back to the Bay Area and I must say that the bike community in Nor Cal is only equaled by other communities that are pro bike, such as Moab, Fruita, Bend. Unfortunately the bad rap that LA has is true. To many motorists and to much ego & attitude on the rode. In Nor Cal, we have so much to ride. In LA, you need to drive to the best trails and that could take from 45-1 1/2 depending on traffic. Local urban assaults in LA consisted of riding from downtown, up Sunset, over to Dodger stadium, through Elysian Park, down back to Sunset, through Echo Park, Silver Lake, up to Loz Feliz, and then ride up through Griffith Park past Hollywood sign, down the backside and then ride back home along the LA River, through Chinatown, and back home. Back then Strava wasn't around for motivation, so all I had was the crazy drivers, gangbangers, and heroin zombies to make me ride harder. I must say the danger was addictive and fun. No rainy days.

mtbr member
    I dont get the road rage here where i live but I get just out right A**HOLE drivers. Law states that bikes and cars are to obey same laws when on the street. But i get jacka** ppl especially teens/20s ones that will pull out in front of me or on one occasion I had to try and bunny hop a tall curb or get hit. I was at speed and came up at too much of an angle and almost went down cause rear slid along the curb (I missed the full hop), and I just stopped. Get so tired of disrespect of ppl, and comes from 2 types above all here, teens/20s range and ppl with decent amounts of money that drive fancier cars. The "Gang bangers" and such show bikers just as much decency and respect as normal decent ppl. Except the young ones like to eye your bike when your not on it. The knife i carry (was for anti wildlife on night rides but now seems to be a good deterrent as well) makes them walk away quickly once they notice it. Weird like that here lol.
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Wear a gun shirt (Glock, S&W, Colt) because the MMA shirts don't work anymore. Because the gun stickers works for cars when I see it, I go "is that just a sticker or is he really packing?" Sometimes it is better to seem than to be.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    I'd rather put knitting needles through my nipples and testicles, and twist them up like a propeller, and let 'em go, than live in So. Cal.! I'm not saying this could not happen elsewhere, but So. Cal. sure is No. Cal.'s redheaded stepchild, for sure.
    I could only improve on this by saying that I personally would hunt down some slow acting jungle venom to smear on the needles before piercing them.

I f**king hate LA and the vapid, sick and idiotic morons that it so often spawns. Grrr!
    It's all Here. Now.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Reading the comments after the article, I am afraid the movie Idiocracy is coming true.

Idiocracy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Road rage is bad no matter what form.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Sure hope they find the BMW driver. Also why isn't the victims account of the matter not being revealed?
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    I lived in San Bernardino for 3 years. I never once rode my bike on the streets there. Way to dangerous.

Perpetual n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by citiznkain View Post
    I lived in San Bernardino for 3 years. I never once rode my bike on the streets there. Way to dangerous.
    Ha! I grew up in the IE. Berdoo is pretty scary but we rode our bikes everywhere and always in packs. I did some bike commuting in Riverside a few years ago and it was far less dangerous than SB.

Honestly, it doesn't matter where you are, cars make people stupid with power. I live on a street with a 25mph speed limit. Most cars are going 35 but I hear quite a few every day doing at least 50.
    If you gorge yourself into morbid obesity, you can skip everyone else in line at Disney World.

reading comprehension wat
    How's that anti-bike or hate? Just sounds like two guys, after bouts of stupidity, resorting to violence. Personal issues. Notice the line about the cyclist throwing a punch. Can tell the driver was not committed to kill, by choosing to make a move then, with a wall and "trash bin" there, that would prevent him from crushing that cyclist, that may have very well been a "d-bag" that deserved a good slap (as a reality check). Didn't finish him off, after the cyclist decided to cling on, maybe daring the driver to go further, trusting that pieces of paper with words that tells you how you should conduct yourself to protect him (and entitle him to compensation)... I dunno about that frame of mind, as once you are dead, you are dead; the guy who did it, will be likely still be living on 15 years from then, maybe likely even freely so.

This news report and the thread here are just pointless drama. All you can do is speculate, without knowing the finer details. All sorts of over-reactions bound to pop up. Might make some people not want to ride their bikes on the road though.

+rep to some of the comments above, particularly ones from realistic perspectives.
    I like to jump to conclusions, oversimplify, gossip, and participate in popularity polls.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    That driver is in deep doo doo. Matter of time...

I bike in IE too. The cars just simply rule the roads in SoCal, in general. There's so many of them and drivers are occupied watching out for other "stupid" drivers; having to worry by a cyclist that wants to exercise a right to be there is another strain on their mind. Both cyclists and stupid drivers cause disturbances in the flow of traffic, forcing other drivers to be alert in order to avoid trouble, especially ones that intentionally are inconsiderate. In a society that emphasizes safety, it's more like cycling is a sport that gets thrills from risky situations, with road bikers needing to stay vigilant to ensure survival, or just simply accepting the risk that an accident is bound to happen, just like mtbers accept that crashes are bound to happen. When that risk is not enough, they look for even more risks, maybe breaking more traffic laws, weaving through traffic, or finding gnarlier trails... of course not all riders are into that, but we all get bunched up together as cyclists in non-cyclists impressions.

There's a story on bikeradar about convincing the prime minister (UK) to "think bike", to get funding for building bike specific routes. I was thinking about it... there's all sorts of types of bikes, but one that fascinates me for quick and easy transportation purposes is the recumbent. Those are even worse for riding on crowded streets. Dedicated bike paths, on the other hand, would be perfect for 'em. Bike highways anyone? Those cycle paths in Europe look interesting. Would be amusing if they were built like railroads. There's been a lot of rail-trail conversions that seem rather successful. Thinking about multi-use trails, the guys that go fastest seem to be the ones that rule the trail, and right now, that's bikers. If e-bikes were allowed on trails, those might threaten mtbers. Rules are put in place to allow sharing, but the issues is that they can't be shared to everyone's satisfaction; it's a grey zone, with everyone trying to be selfish in speaking out for their cause to improve things. MTB specific trails are bad-ass, on the other hand. I imagine cycling specific paths on the road side will be similarly bad-ass, well, as long as traffic flows well, with people traveling at a similar speed.
    I like to jump to conclusions, oversimplify, gossip, and participate in popularity polls.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Busy roads have never been safe for cyclists, and they never will be. Yes, the "me" generation is selfish, distracted, and inconsiderate, but many cyclists are included. The local road cycling club thinks they own the road. They run lights and stop signs on every ride upsetting drivers. Also, their lack of bike handling skills make for very dangerous group rides. Add to this the fact that I live in a place that has the oldest average age in America during the winter when the snowbirds are here and it amazes me that I don't get run over on every road ride. The only solution is to ride as defensively as possible on roads that are less traveled. Your heart rate is going to go down when you have to slow down for the stop sign or the idiot that is turning right in front of you without signalling, but it's better than no heart rate at all.

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by dv8xin View Post
    How's that anti-bike or hate? Just sounds like two guys, after bouts of stupidity, resorting to violence.
    Wasn't the anti-bike statement made with regard to the comments following the article?

If there's any doubt of what "civilization" is turning into, there is no better evidence than the comments about news articles. They're an ever escalating hate fest with every poster trying to top the last.
    I may or may not be laughing at you.

mtbr member
    I wouldn't put too much into the comments on the LA times website. All the morons on there are still riled up after Civlavia.
    definite malingerer

Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    Wasn't the anti-bike statement made with regard to the comments following the article?

If there's any doubt of what "civilization" is turning into, there is no better evidence than the comments about news articles. They're an ever escalating hate fest with every poster trying to top the last.
    Worded that a bit poorly. I generalized about personal issues and pointless drama from speculation and over-reactions... I also stated that I like realistic perspectives. I was not bothered by the comments following the article. Maybe I just accepted all that as reality. I see it from both sides. It's more like anti-stupidity, than anti-bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    I could only improve on this by saying that I personally would hunt down some slow acting jungle venom to smear on the needles before piercing them.

I f**king hate LA and the vapid, sick and idiotic morons that it so often spawns. Grrr!
    It doesn't spawn them, they come from everywhere else!!

likes bicycles
    Quote Originally Posted by greasemeat View Post
    I know its road cycling, but look at all these comments under the story, they all want to run cyclists down for daring to be on their road...

Bicyclist Pinned Against Trash Bin In Beverly Hills Road Rage Incident « CBS Los Angeles
    You must not bike commute. Worse things get muttered to me out the window on a Wednesday afternoon. Come to think of it, that dude was in a beemer...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    One of my friend's wife declares that she "despises all cyclists" because some guy on a bike knocked off her rearview mirror. I tried to be polite and told her its rude and ignorant to generalize.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2012 Banshee Spitfire V1.5

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast