• 11-15-2012
    GnarBrahWyo
    Never judge a rider by their appearance!
    My first mountain bike ride was when I was 22 (I am 29 now) in college. I went up on a group ride with a buddy. I remember seeing mainly 40 somethings and 50 somethings at the trailhead. Many had beer bellies and looked out of shape. Flash forward two hours later when I am getting smoked on the trail and nearly vomiting all over the trail.

    Since then I have progressed immensley. I have built up endurance, speed and leg strength. So when I was invited to go on a trip to Moab with three guys old enough to be my Dad I naively though "Ok, well should be a cakewalk since they are so old", these dudes wore me and my buddy (same age) out the whole week.

    I sometimes am impressed by how many beer-bellied, awkward looking guys/gals at the trail can shred so hard. Many of these types have cheaper bikes than most and don't insist on wearing the expensive lycra and name brand shoes.

    So next time you see someone who looks out of place on the trail, he/she might just shred harder than you think!

    Any similar stories out there?
  • 11-15-2012
    habsfan
    I think we all probably do.

    In my circle of riders, they range from hammerheads to fat to 70+ years old and the vast majority hammer unbelievably. The 70 year old hammered up a rock trail that i could only clear in a wet dream. :p

    I learned long ago never to make judgments on any rider.
  • 11-15-2012
    jeffscott
    I generally take a look at a guys gut....

    Then I line them up from fastest to slowest...

    Usually pretty accurate...we got a lot of ascending to do around here.
  • 11-15-2012
    Gasp4Air
    I don't have a gut and I suck at endurance. Maybe growing one would help. Hmmmm.:idea:
  • 11-15-2012
    GnarBrahWyo
    Gut and speed do have a correlation but a lack of gut doesn't mean they are fast or a good rider. Ever ridden with a smoker? Or a naturally skinny guy who has an ideal mountain biking physique but is just out of shape? I have seen fatties detroy skinny guys on the trail many times.
  • 11-15-2012
    GnarBrahWyo
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Gasp4Air View Post
    I don't have a gut and I suck at endurance. Maybe growing one would help. Hmmmm.:idea:

    Might be good for energy reserves? Like 20lbs of hammer gels? I am pretty average weight, but I ridden with some beer-bellied dudes who weren't super fast but could ride all day just fine. Lungs and legs can be pretty strong on them.
  • 11-15-2012
    AZ
    I'm a lot slower than I appear.
  • 11-15-2012
    Spinning Lizard
    It happens to me all the time. I am mid 40's but race Cat 1 open class mostly. Anytime I ride, that is not a race, I usually wear baggies, BMX shoes and an AM helmet. I do not shave my legs ever and show up on a 6" travel Ventana El Chucho. On the group rides there are always some 20 year old guys wanting to be the fastest up a climb and I will just sit right in. Get to the top and they turn around and are stunned I am there not even breathing hard.

    Occasionally someone else shows up and does the same to me and I am like WTF, lol.
  • 11-15-2012
    baker
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by az.mtns View Post
    i'm a lot slower than i appear.

    hahaha!
  • 11-15-2012
    likeaboss
    Going riding with my older brother and his friend next week and will likely get smoked. I am 46 and he is 50. He is very lean though and has a lot more time to ride than I do.

    I feel better now that I have justified my failure!
  • 11-15-2012
    perttime
    Beware the guy on the "that's not a MTB"

  • 11-15-2012
    EZuphill
    Op. I had the same story as you! I was shocked and their legs were like pistons. I was amazed!

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
  • 11-15-2012
    A-Ray
    My buddy Tom (who was a cat 1 racer and former pro BMX guy) actually showed up to a ride with his
    old 20" BMX race bike (his mountain bike was in the shop). He resembled Charles Manson and looked like a slob with a nasty old looking concert AC/DC t-shirt, dirty jeans, and ripped up old sneakers... Anyway, after all of the "new guys" that did not know him were done laughing and talking crap about how ridiculous he looked and how the ride was going to suck, it did not take long for them to drop their jaws in amazement. Tom intentionally started in the back of the group, but once we hit the first nasty climb he blew by everyone like they weren't even moving, passing people through the woods. I knew how fast he was on a mountain bike, and I honestly had no idea that he was going to blow our doors in like he did on an 80's BMX bike. He led the rest of the ride. To this day I still have no idea how he totally embarrassed us, as most of us at the time were decent riders, or so we thought....
  • 11-15-2012
    OldMTBfreak
    Ok, GBW you are pretty close. I'm 65, been riding for 30 years. I love it. I ride with name brand shoes, because I have tried riding in other types. They all sucked! You would love my current setup. Shoes $275, orthothodics $450 (carbon fiber BTW), my visits to doctor meh, $25 copays. Maybe 5 visits. All this time and money for only one reason. I want to be able to ride my bike(s). I can hear my Reign calling to me as I type this. Later, James
  • 11-15-2012
    GnarBrahWyo
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by OldMTBfreak View Post
    Ok, GBW you are pretty close. I'm 65, been riding for 30 years. I love it. I ride with name brand shoes, because I have tried riding in other types. They all sucked! You would love my current setup. Shoes $275, orthothodics $450 (carbon fiber BTW), my visits to doctor meh, $25 copays. Maybe 5 visits. All this time and money for only one reason. I want to be able to ride my bike(s). I can hear my Reign calling to me as I type this. Later, James

    For me? XC running shoe: $45, Nike gym shorts: $30, Ratty old t-shirt: $10, Bike $3400.:)
  • 11-15-2012
    freighttrainuphill
    I don't remember where I saw this, but years ago I read about a guy on a MTB who likes to "lay waste to the roadies in the Marin Headlands". The poster referred to the guy as a "freak" because he was faster than the roadies even though he was riding a mountain bike.

    I wanted to give that rider some major kudos, not make fun of him! :thumbsup:
  • 11-15-2012
    bsieb
    I wear a Belly Bandit under my jersey just to fool youthful riders into thinking I'm some lamo skinny rider. Then I smoke them. ;)

    Belly Bandit Video | Classic Shapewear
  • 11-15-2012
    DirtyHank
    These two gents were a pleasure to talk to. They had been to places and altitudes I can only dream of doing someday.



    and yes, they smoked me on the way back up,

    Hank :)
  • 11-15-2012
    Barheet
    I rode with an older guy earlier this summer. It was my first time riding with someone at least 10 years older than me. We went along some flat ground for awhile and then got to a steep hill. He took off so fast up the hill that I was stunned. I was so surprised I forgot to shift and ended up stalling out on the hill and had to walk up it. By the time I got to the top, he wasn't even visible on the other side. Lesson learned.
  • 11-15-2012
    howardyudoing
    objects in mirror are closer than they appear.
  • 11-15-2012
    2ridealot
    I am an over 50 year old amputee. I think some riders think I should be struggling more than I do. When I use to ride with a 74 year old hombre, the 2 of us would get a lot of comments (all very positive). btw, I am not fast or slow...just steady.

    A couple years ago I met a guy named Hank at the trailhead and ended up riding with him. He was built just like Family Guy and could absolutely shred! I for sure judged him incorrectly .
  • 11-15-2012
    likeaboss
    How about getting smoked by the fairer sex?

    A friend wanted to ride with our group. When he found out that the wives were going, he said he was going to bring his son on the Weeride. He ended up not bringing his son and then my wife smoked him up and down the trail. Good thing he left junior home!
  • 11-15-2012
    Tystevens
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    For me? XC running shoe: $45, Nike gym shorts: $30, Ratty old t-shirt: $10, Bike $3400.:)

    Sounds about like me most of the time when I hit the trail!

    I'm often the guy you're talking about. Well, not on the climbs -- at 6' and 245#, I climb about like I look like I would. But not many can keep up with me on the downhill side of things. I get comments frequently from surprised kids at a bike park or resort or riding a busy mostly downhill oriented trail (eg Whole Enchilada). Same thing happens playing bball at the gym or something like that.

    I might look fat and out of shape, but I still have the balance, coordination, and and so forth of a 3-sport letterman!
  • 11-15-2012
    joshh
    I quickly figured out that mountain biking is like racquet ball. Don't mess with the old guy that looks out of shape. They will wax you up and down the court (or trail).
  • 11-15-2012
    oldbroad
    Ha! I'm an older gal and don't have a beer gut and I don't think I look awkward, but I do have a big butt :D


    .
  • 11-15-2012
    AZ
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by likeaboss View Post
    How about getting smoked by the fairer sex?

    A friend wanted to ride with our group. When he found out that the wives were going, he said he was going to bring his son on the Weeride. He ended up not bringing his son and then my wife smoked him up and down the trail. Good thing he left junior home!




    Almost everyone has been "chicked", that or their lying. :D
  • 11-15-2012
    zrm
    The only people I judge by what they're wearing is the people who I don't like what they're wearing.
  • 11-15-2012
    GnarBrahWyo
    I have noticed the big dudes can go downhill with the most wreckless abandon. Old man strength is advantageous in mountain biking too haha.
  • 11-15-2012
    mudhen
    I'm sneaky slow....

    mudhen
  • 11-15-2012
    DirtyHank
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by likeaboss View Post
    How about getting smoked by the fairer sex?

    A friend wanted to ride with our group. When he found out that the wives were going, he said he was going to bring his son on the Weeride. He ended up not bringing his son and then my wife smoked him up and down the trail. Good thing he left junior home!

    On a group ride, a older gentleman I was riding with was heard to say "You know you're having a bad day when a girl in a Barbie Helmet passes you up". I have to laugh everytime I think about it..



    Hank :D
  • 11-15-2012
    moofish
    I went on a 65Km road ride on my MTB recently and was passed by lots of old men old women really fit kids on $10000 road bikes and finally by a guy with only one leg. I also learnt that some chicks have huge butts because they have massive thigh muscles. I learnt not to judge any riders skills by their looks. No matter how good you are there is always someone around to make you look ridiculous. For me thats quite easy.(the amputee was a paralympian I found out later)
  • 11-15-2012
    skiahh
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tystevens View Post
    Sounds about like me most of the time when I hit the trail!

    I'm often the guy you're talking about. Well, not on the climbs -- at 6' and 245#, I climb about like I look like I would. But not many can keep up with me on the downhill side of things.

    OFGGDH!! (Old Fat Guys Going Downhill!!)

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by joshh View Post
    I quickly figured out that mountain biking is like racquet ball. Don't mess with the old guy that looks out of shape. They will wax you up and down the court (or trail).

    I learned that lesson years ago!! They've figured out how to play a technical game, making you run your ass off while they stay planted in center court. If you can turn the tables on them, though, they're easy prey!
  • 11-15-2012
    huffster
    Respect your elders...they know where all the best trails are!!! :D
  • 11-15-2012
    Pete Otis Towns
    I think we've all had it handed to us by someone who doesn't look the part. Last year I met with my usaul riding partners who brought one of their friends to ride with us. She was in her early 50's and riding a late 80's rock hopper with an elastomer fork. I figured I would be waiting a lot for her at the turns. I figured wrong. It turns out she's a hard core tri athlete and while she never passed me on the uphill she was on my wheel the entire time. i tried my best to shake her but couldn't, and nearly killed myself trying.

    We have since become friends, she now has a bad ass bike and continues to make me suffer every time we ride.
  • 11-15-2012
    GnarBrahWyo
    It's good to have your ego bruised every once in a while
  • 11-15-2012
    emu26
    1 Attachment(s)
    OP, you are correct, never judge a book by its cover. Apparently this guy was a national champion
    This mountainbiker is alleged to have assaulted another mountainbiker - YouTube

    Attachment 737815
  • 11-15-2012
    Ailuropoda
    Ha ha. 49. 235 pounds and not all of it is muscle I'm afraid. I have very expensive bikes but wear cargo pants and four-year-old brown Shimano SPD shoes (bought five pairs). I'm not particularly fast and the younger guys on cheaper bikes pass me often but I'm not that slow and have my moments.

    I seem to have good endurance and twenty mile rides don't wear me out like five mile rides did when I first started. I'm not competing, don't race, and generally ride alone. With that being said I have risen to the occasion and smoked some of my younger friends who don't believe I ride almost every day.
  • 11-15-2012
    Ailuropoda
    I pulled over to let a beautiful, fit, serious-looking young woman on a very nice bike go by. "You're not bad for a girl," I said as she passed.

    She stopped, looked me in the eye and replied, "And you're not too bad for an old, fat guy."

    True love. She went to dinner with me but unfortunately was from out of town.
  • 11-16-2012
    RaptorTC
    The old guys have just had more time to train! Well, at least that's how I justify it when they blow right on by me and crush my times in TT's.
  • 11-16-2012
    jeffw-13
    Last group ride I went on was dominated by a guy on a single speed dirt jump bike with flat pedals and downhill tires. He out climbed and out rode everyone! Very impressed, I was.
  • 11-16-2012
    Excuse4Fun
    This is an awesome. Here I am at 35 years old just now getting into MBR and I'm thinking, "Well I guess I will probably get made fun of because I'm gonna be older than all of the other riders."
    Thanks for the pics and lifting my spirits up. The way you guys make it look I don't think I'll ever be to old to ride.
  • 11-16-2012
    Trail Ninja
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by huffster View Post
    Respect your elders...they know where all the best trails are!!! :D

    That's because we built them.:D
  • 11-16-2012
    guggas
    I have a close friend that I introduced to Mountain biking about 12 years ago, and who is still one of my best riding buddies. For the first few years I was always faster than him. But the tables have turned in recent years, as hard as I try i havnt been able to out ride him lately. I have a pretty new FS race bike with evey component of my build carefully thought out, and I ride at least 3 times a week, I have clipless pedals/ shoes ect and have spent thousands of dollars over the years on cycling equipment. I'm in pretty decent shape as well, but my friend shames me when we ride. He still has his original HT that he that he bought second hand after our first few rides together, he has very heavy wheels/tires and uses heavy duty thorn proof tubes in both his tires that weigh well over a pound each. The other day he showed up to a ride without water and wearing flipflops, and rode with his keyring(that must weigh several pounds clipped to his beltloop) and I still couldnt keep up with him on a 10-mile xc loop.
  • 11-16-2012
    MTBeing
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by 2ridealot View Post
    I am an over 50 year old amputee. I think some riders think I should be struggling more than I do. When I use to ride with a 74 year old hombre, the 2 of us would get a lot of comments (all very positive). btw, I am not fast or slow...just steady.

    A couple years ago I met a guy named Hank at the trailhead and ended up riding with him. He was built just like Family Guy and could absolutely shred! I for sure judged him incorrectly .

    We had an amputee podium in a race last weekend. Guy looked younger, maybe 30s but everyone standing nearby me muttered how neat it was to see that. That said, I'm always getting dusted by some 'dope-smoking, hippie single' speeder. I say this with the utmost respect.:p
  • 11-16-2012
    hitechredneck
    Beware of old man strength.
  • 11-16-2012
    norton55
    Great thread! I'm 57, ride a Knolly Endorphine, and the secret to hammering at an old age is this..... drink good beer and it's mind over matter when climbing or attacking a wicked section.

    Kudos to all of us white haired grizzled folks. :thumbsup:
  • 11-16-2012
    GnarBrahWyo
    I have a good story myself: For about 3 years my closest riding buddy has always kicked my butt riding. He had the natural biking physique, 5'9 or so, 150lbs and was very athletic,skinny and strong. Just a real strong rider in general. When we would ride, he would always talk sh*t to me for taking longer than him to get to trail junctions or tops of hills etc. It almost became not fun riding with him because of that. So this last summer I hit the trails hard. I decided to double my normal riding distance and take half the breaks I normally did. I would do 20-30 mile rides on the weekends and 10-15 on weeknights after work.

    This same summer my buddy got into grad school out east. So in July I wanted to do one last trail ride with him. On our ride he started out strong than me (like usual) but about ten miles into the ride he starting bonking and I passed him. The remainder of the ride I was able to smoke him. It bruised his ego when I arrived back at the truck a solid 4 minutes before him. Keep in mind I weigh about 40 more pounds than him too. He was a good sport about it and congratulated me. It was kind of poetic justice that I out-rode him on his last day in Wyoming.

    Now... if I could only pass my other riding buddies who are faster than me!
  • 11-16-2012
    nemebean
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    For me? XC running shoe: $45, Nike gym shorts: $30, Ratty old t-shirt: $10, Bike $3400.:)

    Old running shoes that would otherwise be in the trash: $0, Random pair of shorts: $30, Random t-shirt: $?? (some were even free!), Bike $600 (plus about half that again in repairs :rolleyes:).

    That said, I am as slow as I look. I think the only time I've ever passed anyone on a trail was a group of 4 or 5, and I kid you not, I get 100 yards down the trail and my chain breaks. :madman:

    I haven't run into too many members of the fairer sex on rides around here, but I did get "chicked" for the first time this summer. Not an unpleasant experience to be honest. ;)
  • 11-16-2012
    Tystevens
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Excuse4Fun View Post
    This is an awesome. Here I am at 35 years old just now getting into MBR and I'm thinking, "Well I guess I will probably get made fun of because I'm gonna be older than all of the other riders."
    Thanks for the pics and lifting my spirits up. The way you guys make it look I don't think I'll ever be to old to ride.

    Well, depends where you ride. On the "regular" trails around here, I feel like I'm about the median age at 37. Particularly in the evenings after usual work hours, I may actually put myself in the young crowd.

    At bike parks, lift-served stuff or freeride stuff, I'm definitely in the top 10% agewise. Although there are a couple gray haired late 40-something guys I've seen at Canyons resort a few times ripping it up as well or better than most of the kids. They do have the look of former professional extreme athletes, though -- can't really explain it, but you bump into those types a lot in Park City, Utah; they seem to go there to retire.
  • 11-16-2012
    Mountain Cycle Shawn
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    I'm a lot slower than I appear.

    Well, that's not good, because you look like a turtle. :D
  • 11-16-2012
    DirtyHank
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by nemebean View Post
    I haven't run into too many members of the fairer sex on rides around here, but I did get "chicked" for the first time this summer. Not an unpleasant experience to be honest. ;)

    It usually improves the view.

    Hank :D
  • 11-16-2012
    nemebean
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by DirtyHank View Post
    It usually improves the view.

    Hank :D

    Exactly! :thumbsup:
  • 11-16-2012
    53119
    definitely don't judge by the bike either! enjoy..

    Klunking 2 Video - Pinkbike
  • 11-16-2012
    KAriadne
    I never do!

    I'm 5'8" and skinny. "Everyone" has "always" thought I must be fit. Uh, no. (Though I am now doing my darndest to become so!)

    So I know that bigger or older doesn't mean not fit.
  • 11-16-2012
    KAriadne
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by 53119 View Post
    definitely don't judge by the bike either! enjoy..

    Klunking 2 Video - Pinkbike

    Yeah, and an expensive bike doesn't mean fast.

    When my entry level bike broke, I went straight to a nice bike even though I didn't feel I "deserved" it yet. It just seemed more fiscally responsible than upgrading incrementally.

    I was so embarrassed to be out on the trails on my new bike. I "knew" that when "everyone" saw me actually ride they would think I was a poser.
  • 11-16-2012
    SS Hack
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by CCMTB View Post
    We had an amputee podium in a race last weekend. Guy looked younger, maybe 30s but everyone standing nearby me muttered how neat it was to see that. That said, I'm always getting dusted by some 'dope-smoking, hippie single' speeder. I say this with the utmost respect.:p

    The dope just increases hippie lung capability and the single speed forces them to pedal harder up hill.
  • 11-16-2012
    Lovic
    1 Attachment(s)
    We come in all shapes and sizes!!! That's Uncle Jimmy on the left. A local FL legend who has his own MTB trial in the heart of the state.... which will bring anyone to tears. This is us at Tsali, where I'll be the first to admit, I couldn't shake him once from my rear wheel all day long!!!! :thumbsup:
  • 11-17-2012
    mk.ultra
    i got my buddy a cheap rigid 90's trek because he cant afford anything else, and hes fast as hell.
  • 11-17-2012
    SS Hack
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mk.ultra View Post
    i got my buddy a cheap rigid 90's trek because he cant afford anything else, and hes fast as hell.

    You can't buy skills or fitness.
  • 11-17-2012
    veloborealis
    It's the bird, dude...
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    I'm a lot slower than I appear.

    He must weight, what, 300 grams? And put some muscle on those bones.
  • 11-17-2012
    HighTitan
    Cant wait to grow old and wise and still kick everyones ass out on the trail. Gonna be good... Something to look forward to :D
  • 11-17-2012
    Fat Bob
    I'm older, fatter, and slower than I used to be, but still love being out and riding my own ride. I've learned to enjoy my time outdoors, and don't care about being fast or slow, as long as I'm enjoying myself.
  • 11-17-2012
    Mountain Cycle Shawn
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by HighTitan View Post
    Cant wait to grow old and wise and still kick everyones ass out on the trail. Gonna be good... Something to look forward to :D

    Until you just can't seem to get it up anymore. That will neutralize that.
  • 11-17-2012
    mtbmatty
    I was out at the spot one day; there is a bit of a flat spot halfway up this climb where some riders will stop to take a rest. I was suckin wind, but as I went through There was a girl hangin out and she had the balls to say " gettin into shape huh". I looked at her and said " something's wrong with my gears". She probably wasn't bright enough to look down and figure it out. I was riding my SS.
  • 11-17-2012
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    My first mountain bike ride was when I was 22 (I am 29 now) in college. I went up on a group ride with a buddy. I remember seeing mainly 40 somethings and 50 somethings at the trailhead. Many had beer bellies and looked out of shape. Flash forward two hours later when I am getting smoked on the trail and nearly vomiting all over the trail.

    Since then I have progressed immensley. I have built up endurance, speed and leg strength. So when I was invited to go on a trip to Moab with three guys old enough to be my Dad I naively though "Ok, well should be a cakewalk since they are so old", these dudes wore me and my buddy (same age) out the whole week.

    I sometimes am impressed by how many beer-bellied, awkward looking guys/gals at the trail can shred so hard. Many of these types have cheaper bikes than most and don't insist on wearing the expensive lycra and name brand shoes.

    So next time you see someone who looks out of place on the trail, he/she might just shred harder than you think!

    Any similar stories out there?

    I have a story you will like.
    A few summers ago I was driving with my 4wd in a wild area about 1600m sea level, for you 5248ft, 35-40 km or 21,7 24,8 ml from Florence (100m sl, 328 ft).
    I reached a scenic pass, I got a waypoint and sat down to enjoy the wind and the view.
    In a short time came a man with a red cx bike directly from the 70s. He was 70 or more, he said he was biking from Florence, in my opinion he was not so tired even with his very hard cassette. We talked for a while than he left with his vintage bicycle to the city.
    Certain types of people do not need expensive bicycles, they have something that is priceless...
  • 11-17-2012
    heyyall
    I have been on both sides of the "sizing up" process, but for most of my life, I have been the subject of the attention rather than the giver of the attention. The most memorial case was during a triathlon where I wasn't as trim as others would believed I should have been. One female racer made a general comment that she was embarrassed at the number of "fat" people at the race. I had trained for that race for a year...and managed to not lose a pound. I looked soft (large in size) but was extremely fit. I was comfortable with a little insulation ("energy reserve" as I called it then).

    There is also the case of "skinny" people being unfit. I had a friend who for all practical purposes looked very healthy. She was reasonably proportioned and what appeared to be a good weight for her height (or BMI). She participated in a research study where she had her body fat measured by a DEXA scan. Her body fat was an ungodly 48%! I, who for all practical purposes was the "fat" one (by looks) was down in the low 20%s. She was actually carrying more pounds of fat than I was.

    New research is now really starting to understand more the relationship of weight, body composition and risk factors for disease (e.g., Association of weight status with mortality in adults w... [JAMA. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI). The more fit yet overweight have considerably less risk than the skinny-fat (i.e., limited muscle mass and a relatively high concentration of fat, particularly in the central regions of the body).

    So while a person may look relatively round, he or she may be sporting an enormous engine and may have a surprisingly low amount of actual fat. It might just be more visible than in the skinny fat.

    So I agree, don't judge and ride on. Your judgement or preconceived notions may be very wrong for the general population. Now, if you spot a person with bulging thighs, garden hose-sized veins in the legs and arms, and a razor sharp look, you may give them the benefit of the doubt and conclude that they could bury you.
  • 11-18-2012
    manbeer
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by freighttrainuphill View Post
    I don't remember where I saw this, but years ago I read about a guy on a MTB who likes to "lay waste to the roadies in the Marin Headlands". The poster referred to the guy as a "freak" because he was faster than the roadies even though he was riding a mountain bike.

    I wanted to give that rider some major kudos, not make fun of him! :thumbsup:

    For some reason that sounds familiar. I think I remember reading that the guy who started interloc racing used to hang out and wait for the roadies to come up the hill by his shop an hop on his mtb and chase them down or something. I wonder if that is the same thing we are talking about

    Edit: it was actually paul thomasberg that use to hang out at the ird headquartes and chase the roadies, not the owner
  • 11-18-2012
    RajunCajun44
    Im 44 and I ride a hell of a lot better than when I was in my 20's... go figure... take care of your body, eat well, and stop doing the hangover rides... that's my secret... and it doesnt hurt to have the modern technology of today's bikes..
  • 11-18-2012
    Berkeley Mike
    Judging riders by their appearance is a problem if you don't know what you're looking at.:cool:
  • 11-18-2012
    rynoman03
    I ride a $50.00 target bike that I bought second hand. I took the decals off to make people guess so they wouldn't size my bike up so much.
  • 11-19-2012
    pointerDixie214
    Happened to me more than once.

    Most memorable was a couple years ago. I was 27 and was meeting a guy I hadn't ridden with before who described himself as "intermediate". Well, he got there and got out of the truck... I swear he was probably 300 lbs at maybe 5'11"? And he was about 45 and just got off working a double shift at a factory, saying how tired he was.

    I remember thinking, "Oh yeah, the excuses are flowing already. This is gonna suck waiting on this guy all day."

    Turned out to be a really nice guy... when he was nice enough to stop and wait for me so we could chat. lol

    Quite the humbling experience.
  • 11-19-2012
    GnarBrahWyo
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    Im 44 and I ride a hell of a lot better than when I was in my 20's... go figure... take care of your body, eat well, and stop doing the hangover rides... that's my secret... and it doesnt hurt to have the modern technology of today's bikes..

    Hangover rides are the best way to cure a hangover! I know what you mean though. The older I get the more I make sure to get good rest the night before a ride.
  • 11-19-2012
    bsieb
    The older I get the earlier I nod out, works out well. :thumbsup:
  • 11-19-2012
    Hollyw00d
    I don't "prejudge" anyone on the trails. I'm new to cycling and SUPER slow on the climbs and pretty slow on the flats.. I have a nice bike, but before I got this one I was on a wal-mart special, and I could still bomb the down hills fast. So I know better than to suspect that I may be faster than anyone!
  • 11-19-2012
    digthemlows
    First "ducati meetup ride" I did a guy showed up on a KTM 525 dirt bike (supermoto tires)..............we rode 200 miles into the mountains with some guys on all carbon 1199 race bikes........the dude on the KTM lead the pack........he would slide into corners and wheelie out of them.............it was a blast!!

    so it happens everywhere!
  • 11-20-2012
    ozzybmx
    A very true statement: Always beware of Old Guys, Locals and Singlespeeders.
  • 11-20-2012
    Ben_Im
    I've definitely had my butt handed to me on a couple occasions by guys twice my age. One guy I remember was in his late fifties, had multiple shoulder surgeries and a knee surgery from what I remember, and he was out on a single speed flying up the hills while I was sweating and panting my the whole way up. As a reference point, I felt that I was always in fairly good shape. Humbling experience no doubt.
  • 11-22-2012
    GnarBrahWyo
    There is a really cool trail near me called "Death Crotch". It is about 600 feet or so of switch back descending. It is a favorite for downhill riding. I remember seeing a 63 year old climbing it barely even breathing hard. Guys like that stay young longer.
  • 11-23-2012
    Full Trucker
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Almost everyone has been "chicked", that or their lying. :D

    I get chicked nearly every time I ride. Stupid, sexy, fast girlfriend...
  • 11-23-2012
    _Alberto_
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by pointerDixie214 View Post
    Happened to me more than once.

    Most memorable was a couple years ago. I was 27 and was meeting a guy I hadn't ridden with before who described himself as "intermediate". Well, he got there and got out of the truck... I swear he was probably 300 lbs at maybe 5'11"? And he was about 45 and just got off working a double shift at a factory, saying how tired he was.

    I remember thinking, "Oh yeah, the excuses are flowing already. This is gonna suck waiting on this guy all day."

    Turned out to be a really nice guy... when he was nice enough to stop and wait for me so we could chat. lol

    Quite the humbling experience.

    Lol this is the best one. Sounds like something that would happen to me.
  • 11-23-2012
    PixieChik
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mtbmatty View Post
    I was out at the spot one day; there is a bit of a flat spot halfway up this climb where some riders will stop to take a rest. I was suckin wind, but as I went through There was a girl hangin out and she had the balls to say " gettin into shape huh". I looked at her and said " something's wrong with my gears". She probably wasn't bright enough to look down and figure it out. I was riding my SS.

    This makes me feel like you were sizing up her bike knowledge based on her xx chromosome combo. Maybe she said it admiringly, having noticed you were kicking it on your ss while she was lounging around catching her breath. :D

    I was kicking the tires on an Ellsworth Epiphany yesterday at LL Bean when a handsome young man came up to me to warn me that this bike is built to ride on rough terrain, like mountains n stuff. I was dressed in my middle-aged suburban housewife disguise: sweater, skirt, boots. Clearly I had never swung a leg over a full-suspension bike.

    I just gave him the round-eyed eyelash batting smile and said "oh, wow!" I should have asked him if he rides, but I was so surprised that he felt the need to school me that I was rendered speechless.
  • 11-25-2012
    mtbmatty
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by PixieChik View Post
    This makes me feel like you were sizing up her bike knowledge based on her xx chromosome combo. Maybe she said it admiringly, having noticed you were kicking it on your ss while she was lounging around catching her breath. :D

    I was kicking the tires on an Ellsworth Epiphany yesterday at LL Bean when a handsome young man came up to me to warn me that this bike is built to ride on rough terrain, like mountains n stuff. I was dressed in my middle-aged suburban housewife disguise: sweater, skirt, boots. Clearly I had never swung a leg over a full-suspension bike.

    I just gave him the round-eyed eyelash batting smile and said "oh, wow!" I should have asked him if he rides, but I was so surprised that he felt the need to school me that I was rendered speechless.


    Wait just a minute!!! LL Bean sells Ellsworth? That's upsetting.

    I'm no teenager so I certainly don't know everything, but I've been around long enough to know that she was blowing me crap. Whatever, I found it funny too....
  • 11-25-2012
    PixieChik
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mtbmatty View Post
    Wait just a minute!!! LL Bean sells Ellsworth? That's upsetting.

    Don't you want Mainers to have access to good stuff? I doubt they sell them in the catalog, just the "flagship" store.:thumbsup:
  • 11-25-2012
    Mountain Cycle Shawn
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mtbmatty View Post
    Wait just a minute!!! LL Bean sells Ellsworth? That's upsetting.

    That's an understatement!
  • 11-25-2012
    SCR818
    I've got a bit of a beer gut (mid 40's). I think it's just hours in the saddle that gets the "older" guys more in tuned. I find this to be true for myself each and every year that passes by. I get more aches and pains every year but as long as I ride regularly, it seems like I need to be on the saddle longer and longer to get my fill. As though it's easier to deal with.
  • 11-25-2012
    sjhiker
    I'm usually towards the back of the pack but I always tell the group, I'll always get to where we're going. I'm not fast, but I have great long distance endurance. I do find it odd that at the end of the ride, the guys that were at the front/middle of the pack are still gasping for breath and I ride in calmly...
  • 11-25-2012
    baker
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sjhiker View Post
    I'm usually towards the back of the pack but I always tell the group, I'll always get to where we're going. I'm not fast, but I have great long distance endurance. I do find it odd that at the end of the ride, the guys that were at the front/middle of the pack are still gasping for breath and I ride in calmly...

    What is odd about that?
  • 11-26-2012
    Mazukea
    old guys rule. old girls too.
  • 11-26-2012
    GnarBrahWyo
    Old man strength really is a thing!
  • 11-26-2012
    shekky
    today...white haired dude in a t shirt and baggy shorts...riding an old specialized hardrock and pulling a BOB trailer...passing me on mt tam like i'm pedaling my bike backwards...made me think of this thread...
  • 11-27-2012
    Bird
    yes
    And never judge a rider by there legs either.
    I'm one of those 50 yr olds that usually smoke younger riders,especially on the climbs.

    I met this young man at the trail head of one of my favorite trails and the first thing i noticed was his legs.Resembled legs of a flamingo,looked like spokes in desperated need of truing.
    Well..the first section of trail was home to the "cardiac hill" which consisted of 1 mile of steep single track,a section i could surely impress this young man with.

    Um...to my surprise this needle leg rider shot up the mountain on his AM bike never to be seen again.I wanted to shout "WHO ARE YOU".
  • 11-27-2012
    SCR818
    Some guys have invisible/stealth jet rocket packs mounted to their frames. I've been accused of that on occasion but I'm nothing special.
  • 11-27-2012
    wv_bob
    Not that I'm fast or anything, but I realized the other day that I don't remember riding when I was young as hard or fast as I do now. Part of it is realizing that every day you don't ride is a day you won't get to ride so you gotta make the most of it when you get a chance. Stuff like that creeps into your subconscious the older you get ...
  • 11-27-2012
    jjproctor
    I had a similar experieance with age, not so much weight. I am in my early 40's, ride 4k -5K miles a year road and MTB. Started road riding with some guy's in there mid 50's, one weekend we went out road riding and did 75 miles with lot's of hills. Several of the climbs were 400-600 ft elevation. I have never been dropped so fast in my life. EGO CRUSHER!

    I also ride with a friend who is 5'8" and 230lbs. He often jokes that he is fast down hill, but he will pass me eveytime!!!! There is some truth to it.
  • 11-27-2012
    50calray
    I ran across an old dude who ran circles around me....riding up a long gradual incline! We had just moved and before I started trail riding. I was cruising around town when I came to a red light. The road up ahead as mentioned before had a long and gradual incline and not sure I could make it without doing a little walking. As I waited for a green light, this old man white hair and all comes riding up next to me. The light turns green and off we went. I figured if his guy who was clearly 10-20 yrs older riding a Trail bike could do it, so could I. Well it started out good but about half way up, that old dude started pulling away :eek: I started working harder tying to catch up but useless. I was able make it to the top to my amazement but I had to stop and catch my breath. As for that old dude, he was long gone :eek:
  • 11-29-2012
    Katz
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    Some guys have invisible/stealth jet rocket packs mounted to their frames.

    I got one of those too, but it's mounted backwards.
  • 11-29-2012
    bad andy
    I'm not old, or young. Kinda in the middle. Mediocre at best. I pass a few, a few pass me.

    -It's all about the beers at the end though right?? 8)
  • 11-29-2012
    howardyudoing
    I may not look like it, but...


    I'm more interesting that the guy on the dos equis commercials.
  • 11-29-2012
    Mountain Cycle Shawn
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by howardyudoing View Post
    I may not look like it, but...


    I'm more interesting that the guy on the dos equis commercials.

    For a butt ugly old guy, he sure gets a lot of chicks.
  • 11-29-2012
    Wishful Tomcat
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    Part of it is realizing that every day you don't ride is a day you won't get to ride so you gotta make the most of it when you get a chance. Stuff like that creeps into your subconscious the older you get ...

    Very, very true.