Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    oops deleted wrong thread

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by next View Post
    oops deleted wrong thread
    My email tells me that you said, "The only time in my adult life that a girl hit on me was at a Halloween party, where i had a full latex face mask on."
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    Incoming: 2008 Lotus Exige S 240
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    My email tells me that you said, "The only time in my adult life that a girl hit on me was at a Halloween party, where i had a full latex face mask on."
    well this is awkward.

damn you, internet!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by next View Post
    well this is awkward.

damn you, internet!
    You're welcome!
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmatty View Post
    I was out at the spot one day; there is a bit of a flat spot halfway up this climb where some riders will stop to take a rest. I was suckin wind, but as I went through There was a girl hangin out and she had the balls to say " gettin into shape huh". I looked at her and said " something's wrong with my gears". She probably wasn't bright enough to look down and figure it out. I was riding my SS.
    That's why I like to psych out bystanders by controlling my breathing just long enough to pass by. Once I'm out of earshot it's back to "freight training uphill" as always !

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbroad View Post
    Ha! I'm an older gal and don't have a beer gut and I don't think I look awkward, but I do have a big butt

Useless without pix!
    Banned for showing Boobies.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GoGoGordo View Post
    Useless without pix!
    Yeah, come on, lets see that rump!
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Endurance is an interesting thing, I was riding blue diamond in Nevada and climbed a particularly nasty section only to end up walking the last shelf a few feet from the top, it didnt seem overly difficult although quit steep.
    I was standing there watching four others try, all were older than me with one female rider who looked out of shape, three failed half way up or before, the fourth made it all the way. We Chatted and they offered to show me the area since it was my first time, I was grateful an thought it would be easy, man they blew me away on all the slow steady climbs grrr and ended up waiting for me at the end of the trail 12 miles in, one never knows.

mtbr member
    Yep, never judge a rider by their appearance, or their bike!

Yesterday I was out riding on my reasonable high level 29er and was on my way home riding on the foot path. I was on a flat section approaching the only biggish hill I have to go over to get home and was slowly catching up to middle aged woman on a granny bike. I was thinking to myself "wow, she's really moving, but I'll pass her on the hill." Man, was I wrong. While I was thinking this, right on her tail, she suddenly stood up and started really mashing those pedals and keeping the bike vertical - no side to side swaying just pumping up and down. The road up the hill spits with one way being a bit longer and a more steady incline, the other way a bit shorted but a bit steeper. I went the short way, she went the long way. I kept watching her as I sat down and ground my way up the hill while she continued to stand up and kept gaining more and more distance on me.
    We reached the top, the roads re-joined, with her way in front of me, my legs burning just shaking my head at myself.

I won't be judging any one for a while!

mtbr member
    After a couple of years MTBing about 3k/year average, I've come to realize that aerobic fitness and trimness, though somewhat related, are two very different things.

I'll swing 20 pounds over the course of the year. A few too many post ride shakes and french fries, and the pounds start to creep up. Eat healthy, and I trim back down. I'm about 195 now, up from a low of 178 in March. Now I'm leaning back down.

I have no doubt that I could get up to 215 pounds, while maintaining the same aerobic fitness level and with negligible speed penalty. Riding fast is about putting in the miles and challenging yourself. Being lean is mostly dependent on diet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by komekomegaijin View Post
    Yep, never judge a rider by their appearance, or their bike!

Yesterday I was out riding on my reasonable high level 29er and was on my way home riding on the foot path. I was on a flat section approaching the only biggish hill I have to go over to get home and was slowly catching up to middle aged woman on a granny bike. I was thinking to myself "wow, she's really moving, but I'll pass her on the hill." Man, was I wrong. While I was thinking this, right on her tail, she suddenly stood up and started really mashing those pedals and keeping the bike vertical - no side to side swaying just pumping up and down. The road up the hill spits with one way being a bit longer and a more steady incline, the other way a bit shorted but a bit steeper. I went the short way, she went the long way. I kept watching her as I sat down and ground my way up the hill while she continued to stand up and kept gaining more and more distance on me.
    We reached the top, the roads re-joined, with her way in front of me, my legs burning just shaking my head at myself.

I won't be judging any one for a while!
    Was it Mary Poppins?
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

Tree Dodger
    Nov 2012
    Love the thread! I have found it's always best to let the results do the talking, that way when I get smoked I only have to swallow my pride to myself. It's always ugly riding up to the parking lot and the "old fat guy" has loaded his bike, changed clothes and waves as he heads home.

nuke the wales
    Feb 2009
    On our shop rides there is a man who is legally blind in one eye and has limited sight in the other but that makes no difference he stays in the middle of the pack or in front inspires me every time

mtbr member
    Yeah, cycling and appearance can be a funny thing, particularly in the casual group ride setting. Some riders are out to push it and have a competitive attitude, some aren't. Some out of shape guys are really good in the tech, some in shape guys are new to riding and aren't good in the tech. Some are out to ride hard and get in their workout, others may be on a relaxed, active recovery day. Bottom line, everyone has a different agenda and it doing what they do for a different reason.

On the race course however, whether is XC or cyclocross (excluding the beginner fields) you can typically get an idea of one's ability judging by their appearance. Those who train hard usually look like it. It's extremely rare to see a guy with a pot belly leading a Cat.1 race or a clearly out of shape person staged in the front of a Cat. 3 cyclocross race mid-season.

wjh
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    For me? XC running shoe: $45, Nike gym shorts: $30, Ratty old t-shirt: $10, Bike $3400.
    your priorities sound about right

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Actually I can swing between 175 and 230 and seem to do just about as good. Although I really want to be on the light end, I seem to have a food problem.

Quote Originally Posted by AllMountin' View Post
    After a couple of years MTBing about 3k/year average, I've come to realize that aerobic fitness and trimness, though somewhat related, are two very different things.

I'll swing 20 pounds over the course of the year. A few too many post ride shakes and french fries, and the pounds start to creep up. Eat healthy, and I trim back down. I'm about 195 now, up from a low of 178 in March. Now I'm leaning back down.

I have no doubt that I could get up to 215 pounds, while maintaining the same aerobic fitness level and with negligible speed penalty. Riding fast is about putting in the miles and challenging yourself. Being lean is mostly dependent on diet.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr View Post
    Actually I can swing between 175 and 230 and seem to do just about as good. Although I really want to be on the light end, I seem to have a food problem.
    Wow, 20+ pound swings seems like a lot. I'll think 15 is a lot for me if I get a couple month period were for whatever reason I don't get my normal amount of exercise.

Weight does effect fitness. It's not just power to weight ratio, the more extra weight you carry, the more blood your heart has to pump and the more energy resource your body has to use to maintain that extra fat or for that matter muscle. Don't get me wrong, I think people can carry a little extra pudge around the middle or still be healthy and fit, but if you want to be really fit, the less extra mass you have the better. (to a point of course, looking like a concentration camp survivor isn't good either)

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    yeah gotcha well to be fair the last 175 I saw was in Iraq after I had gotten up to around 220+. However the last handful of years it's been 208 to 230 and back and forth. For some reason when I get to 208 I hit a wall --well more like I feel faint. I think I try and lose it too quickly. Probably be attempting again soon.

Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    Wow, 20+ pound swings seems like a lot. I'll think 15 is a lot for me if I get a couple month period were for whatever reason I don't get my normal amount of exercise.

Weight does effect fitness. It's not just power to weight ratio, the more extra weight you carry, the more blood your heart has to pump and the more energy resource your body has to use to maintain that extra fat or for that matter muscle. Don't get me wrong, I think people can carry a little extra pudge around the middle or still be healthy and fit, but if you want to be really fit, the less extra mass you have the better. (to a point of course, looking like a concentration camp survivor isn't good either)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post

Fluctuating that much in weight up and down is really hard on a persons body.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I was on what is normally a pretty boring pavement ride today. I caught up to a guy at a red light who was on an old beat-up hardtail with knobbies and a Coca-Cola crate attached to his rear rack.

When the light turned green and we started riding, he took off pretty quickly. I noticed he also had a bent rear wheel. He maintained 18 mph and up for about 2 1/2 minutes before pulling into a driveway.

Now maybe this is commonplace, but around here I don't see that very often, so I was impressed!

I had my helmet cam recording, because on that route I seem to always catch something interesting on video.

Contour | Stories | fast mtb rider on pavement 12-18-12

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I have a battle with the weight side of things too, however over the last 2 years i've lost 18 kilos and 3 weeks ago measured in at 103.5kg, after 3weeks good riding my pants are feeling baggy but im now 105kg.
    104 seems to be my brick wall.

At our local track there is a guy in his 50's who rides everyday, he looks a bit scruffy and has a spotless white ute and rides a black Yeti, a 575 i think.

I've never ridden with him but when setting out at the same time it only takes a few minutes before he's out of sight.

There is another guy who rides the 6k's from town, does 8 or so k's in the forest and then rides back into town. We passed him on one of the trails and he rode by effortlessly.

I'd like to be able to pedal like that one day. I just turned 32, 2 days ago, lets see how much better i am in a years time.

Roy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I consistently find myself embarrassed even when I consider myself to be athletic

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by freighttrainuphill View Post
    I was on what is normally a pretty boring pavement ride today. I caught up to a guy at a red light who was on an old beat-up hardtail with knobbies and a Coca-Cola crate attached to his rear rack.

When the light turned green and we started riding, he took off pretty quickly. I noticed he also had a bent rear wheel. He maintained 18 mph and up for about 2 1/2 minutes before pulling into a driveway.

Now maybe this is commonplace, but around here I don't see that very often, so I was impressed!

I had my helmet cam recording, because on that route I seem to always catch something interesting on video.

Contour | Stories | fast mtb rider on pavement 12-18-12

He probably would have been going much slower if there weren't some crazy roadie riding on his tail! Im guessing it wasn't his driveway either.
    Seeking MB-2 Fork (19.3), Ritchey FD post silver 26.8

mtbr member
    I gain 20 lbs every winter and lose it every summer through mountain biking. Goal is to not gain it back this winter so I can start ahead of where I did last year. Every year, usually about my fifth ride in, I realize I am finally getting my legs and lungs back. Usually when I get back to the trail head I have to go back and ride another loop. Love it when your metabolism starts working efficiently and you get those extra energy boosts. Good for the soil. =)

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by trodaq View Post
    He probably would have been going much slower if there weren't some crazy roadie riding on his tail! Im guessing it wasn't his driveway either.
    Hehehe, well him taking off fast did trigger my predatory instincts .

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5