Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Fat & Single
    A very true statement: Always beware of Old Guys, Locals and Singlespeeders.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I've definitely had my butt handed to me on a couple occasions by guys twice my age. One guy I remember was in his late fifties, had multiple shoulder surgeries and a knee surgery from what I remember, and he was out on a single speed flying up the hills while I was sweating and panting my the whole way up. As a reference point, I felt that I was always in fairly good shape. Humbling experience no doubt.

mtbr member
    There is a really cool trail near me called "Death Crotch". It is about 600 feet or so of switch back descending. It is a favorite for downhill riding. I remember seeing a 63 year old climbing it barely even breathing hard. Guys like that stay young longer.

Awesomist™
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Almost everyone has been "chicked", that or their lying.
    I get chicked nearly every time I ride. Stupid, sexy, fast girlfriend...
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214 View Post
    Happened to me more than once.

Most memorable was a couple years ago. I was 27 and was meeting a guy I hadn't ridden with before who described himself as "intermediate". Well, he got there and got out of the truck... I swear he was probably 300 lbs at maybe 5'11"? And he was about 45 and just got off working a double shift at a factory, saying how tired he was.

I remember thinking, "Oh yeah, the excuses are flowing already. This is gonna suck waiting on this guy all day."

Turned out to be a really nice guy... when he was nice enough to stop and wait for me so we could chat. lol

Quite the humbling experience.
    Lol this is the best one. Sounds like something that would happen to me.

Serenity now!
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmatty View Post
    I was out at the spot one day; there is a bit of a flat spot halfway up this climb where some riders will stop to take a rest. I was suckin wind, but as I went through There was a girl hangin out and she had the balls to say " gettin into shape huh". I looked at her and said " something's wrong with my gears". She probably wasn't bright enough to look down and figure it out. I was riding my SS.
    This makes me feel like you were sizing up her bike knowledge based on her xx chromosome combo. Maybe she said it admiringly, having noticed you were kicking it on your ss while she was lounging around catching her breath.

I was kicking the tires on an Ellsworth Epiphany yesterday at LL Bean when a handsome young man came up to me to warn me that this bike is built to ride on rough terrain, like mountains n stuff. I was dressed in my middle-aged suburban housewife disguise: sweater, skirt, boots. Clearly I had never swung a leg over a full-suspension bike.

I just gave him the round-eyed eyelash batting smile and said "oh, wow!" I should have asked him if he rides, but I was so surprised that he felt the need to school me that I was rendered speechless.
    Duchess of Dab

Parking Lot Poser
    Quote Originally Posted by PixieChik View Post
    This makes me feel like you were sizing up her bike knowledge based on her xx chromosome combo. Maybe she said it admiringly, having noticed you were kicking it on your ss while she was lounging around catching her breath.

I was kicking the tires on an Ellsworth Epiphany yesterday at LL Bean when a handsome young man came up to me to warn me that this bike is built to ride on rough terrain, like mountains n stuff. I was dressed in my middle-aged suburban housewife disguise: sweater, skirt, boots. Clearly I had never swung a leg over a full-suspension bike.

I just gave him the round-eyed eyelash batting smile and said "oh, wow!" I should have asked him if he rides, but I was so surprised that he felt the need to school me that I was rendered speechless.

Wait just a minute!!! LL Bean sells Ellsworth? That's upsetting.

I'm no teenager so I certainly don't know everything, but I've been around long enough to know that she was blowing me crap. Whatever, I found it funny too....
    feelin good is good enough

Serenity now!
    Don't you want Mainers to have access to good stuff? I doubt they sell them in the catalog, just the "flagship" store.
    Duchess of Dab

mtbr member
    That's an understatement!
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

official eMpTyBRain
    I've got a bit of a beer gut (mid 40's). I think it's just hours in the saddle that gets the "older" guys more in tuned. I find this to be true for myself each and every year that passes by. I get more aches and pains every year but as long as I ride regularly, it seems like I need to be on the saddle longer and longer to get my fill. As though it's easier to deal with.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm usually towards the back of the pack but I always tell the group, I'll always get to where we're going. I'm not fast, but I have great long distance endurance. I do find it odd that at the end of the ride, the guys that were at the front/middle of the pack are still gasping for breath and I ride in calmly...

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by sjhiker View Post
    I'm usually towards the back of the pack but I always tell the group, I'll always get to where we're going. I'm not fast, but I have great long distance endurance. I do find it odd that at the end of the ride, the guys that were at the front/middle of the pack are still gasping for breath and I ride in calmly...
    What is odd about that?
    baker

I Ride Bikes
    old guys rule. old girls too.
    I like to hug trees at FULL SPEED!

mtbr member
    Old man strength really is a thing!

the half breed devil
    today...white haired dude in a t shirt and baggy shorts...riding an old specialized hardrock and pulling a BOB trailer...passing me on mt tam like i'm pedaling my bike backwards...made me think of this thread...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

yes

And never judge a rider by there legs either.
    I'm one of those 50 yr olds that usually smoke younger riders,especially on the climbs.

I met this young man at the trail head of one of my favorite trails and the first thing i noticed was his legs.Resembled legs of a flamingo,looked like spokes in desperated need of truing.
    Well..the first section of trail was home to the "cardiac hill" which consisted of 1 mile of steep single track,a section i could surely impress this young man with.

Um...to my surprise this needle leg rider shot up the mountain on his AM bike never to be seen again.I wanted to shout "WHO ARE YOU".

official eMpTyBRain
    Some guys have invisible/stealth jet rocket packs mounted to their frames. I've been accused of that on occasion but I'm nothing special.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

human dehumidifier
    Not that I'm fast or anything, but I realized the other day that I don't remember riding when I was young as hard or fast as I do now. Part of it is realizing that every day you don't ride is a day you won't get to ride so you gotta make the most of it when you get a chance. Stuff like that creeps into your subconscious the older you get ...
    NFL will punish America for its sins with Katy Perry as the Super Bowl halftime show.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I had a similar experieance with age, not so much weight. I am in my early 40's, ride 4k -5K miles a year road and MTB. Started road riding with some guy's in there mid 50's, one weekend we went out road riding and did 75 miles with lot's of hills. Several of the climbs were 400-600 ft elevation. I have never been dropped so fast in my life. EGO CRUSHER!

I also ride with a friend who is 5'8" and 230lbs. He often jokes that he is fast down hill, but he will pass me eveytime!!!! There is some truth to it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I ran across an old dude who ran circles around me....riding up a long gradual incline! We had just moved and before I started trail riding. I was cruising around town when I came to a red light. The road up ahead as mentioned before had a long and gradual incline and not sure I could make it without doing a little walking. As I waited for a green light, this old man white hair and all comes riding up next to me. The light turns green and off we went. I figured if his guy who was clearly 10-20 yrs older riding a Trail bike could do it, so could I. Well it started out good but about half way up, that old dude started pulling away I started working harder tying to catch up but useless. I was able make it to the top to my amazement but I had to stop and catch my breath. As for that old dude, he was long gone

Raymond Donald Franklin
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    Some guys have invisible/stealth jet rocket packs mounted to their frames.
    I got one of those too, but it's mounted backwards.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I'm not old, or young. Kinda in the middle. Mediocre at best. I pass a few, a few pass me.

-It's all about the beers at the end though right?? 8)

mtbr member
    I may not look like it, but...

I'm more interesting that the guy on the dos equis commercials.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by howardyudoing View Post
    I may not look like it, but...

I'm more interesting that the guy on the dos equis commercials.
    For a butt ugly old guy, he sure gets a lot of chicks.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    Part of it is realizing that every day you don't ride is a day you won't get to ride so you gotta make the most of it when you get a chance. Stuff like that creeps into your subconscious the older you get ...
    Very, very true.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast