Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nemebean View Post
    I haven't run into too many members of the fairer sex on rides around here, but I did get "chicked" for the first time this summer. Not an unpleasant experience to be honest.
    It usually improves the view.

Hank

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHank View Post
    It usually improves the view.

Hank
    Exactly!
    2011 Specialized Hard Rock Sport Disc 29
    Nukeproof Proton Pedals
    Ergon GP2 Grips
    Avid BB7 Brakes

mtbr member
    definitely don't judge by the bike either! enjoy..

Klunking 2 Video - Pinkbike
    i'm on my Last Herb
    RestInPeace Hook

mtbr member
    I never do!

I'm 5'8" and skinny. "Everyone" has "always" thought I must be fit. Uh, no. (Though I am now doing my darndest to become so!)

So I know that bigger or older doesn't mean not fit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 53119 View Post
    definitely don't judge by the bike either! enjoy..

Klunking 2 Video - Pinkbike
    Yeah, and an expensive bike doesn't mean fast.

When my entry level bike broke, I went straight to a nice bike even though I didn't feel I "deserved" it yet. It just seemed more fiscally responsible than upgrading incrementally.

I was so embarrassed to be out on the trails on my new bike. I "knew" that when "everyone" saw me actually ride they would think I was a poser.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CCMTB View Post
    We had an amputee podium in a race last weekend. Guy looked younger, maybe 30s but everyone standing nearby me muttered how neat it was to see that. That said, I'm always getting dusted by some 'dope-smoking, hippie single' speeder. I say this with the utmost respect.
    The dope just increases hippie lung capability and the single speed forces them to pedal harder up hill.

mtbr member
    We come in all shapes and sizes!!! That's Uncle Jimmy on the left. A local FL legend who has his own MTB trial in the heart of the state.... which will bring anyone to tears. This is us at Tsali, where I'll be the first to admit, I couldn't shake him once from my rear wheel all day long!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Never judge a rider by their appearance!-100_1438.jpg  

Master Shredder
    i got my buddy a cheap rigid 90's trek because he cant afford anything else, and hes fast as hell.
    "Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads." -Back to the Future

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mk.ultra View Post
    i got my buddy a cheap rigid 90's trek because he cant afford anything else, and hes fast as hell.
    You can't buy skills or fitness.

mtbr member

It's the bird, dude...

Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    I'm a lot slower than I appear.
    He must weight, what, 300 grams? And put some muscle on those bones.
    The older I get the better I was...

mtbr member
    Cant wait to grow old and wise and still kick everyones ass out on the trail. Gonna be good... Something to look forward to
    I like to ride bikes fast.

mtbr member
    I'm older, fatter, and slower than I used to be, but still love being out and riding my own ride. I've learned to enjoy my time outdoors, and don't care about being fast or slow, as long as I'm enjoying myself.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HighTitan View Post
    Cant wait to grow old and wise and still kick everyones ass out on the trail. Gonna be good... Something to look forward to
    Until you just can't seem to get it up anymore. That will neutralize that.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

Parking Lot Poser
    I was out at the spot one day; there is a bit of a flat spot halfway up this climb where some riders will stop to take a rest. I was suckin wind, but as I went through There was a girl hangin out and she had the balls to say " gettin into shape huh". I looked at her and said " something's wrong with my gears". She probably wasn't bright enough to look down and figure it out. I was riding my SS.
    feelin good is good enough

toscano
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    My first mountain bike ride was when I was 22 (I am 29 now) in college. I went up on a group ride with a buddy. I remember seeing mainly 40 somethings and 50 somethings at the trailhead. Many had beer bellies and looked out of shape. Flash forward two hours later when I am getting smoked on the trail and nearly vomiting all over the trail.

Since then I have progressed immensley. I have built up endurance, speed and leg strength. So when I was invited to go on a trip to Moab with three guys old enough to be my Dad I naively though "Ok, well should be a cakewalk since they are so old", these dudes wore me and my buddy (same age) out the whole week.

I sometimes am impressed by how many beer-bellied, awkward looking guys/gals at the trail can shred so hard. Many of these types have cheaper bikes than most and don't insist on wearing the expensive lycra and name brand shoes.

So next time you see someone who looks out of place on the trail, he/she might just shred harder than you think!

Any similar stories out there?
    I have a story you will like.
    A few summers ago I was driving with my 4wd in a wild area about 1600m sea level, for you 5248ft, 35-40 km or 21,7 24,8 ml from Florence (100m sl, 328 ft).
    I reached a scenic pass, I got a waypoint and sat down to enjoy the wind and the view.
    In a short time came a man with a red cx bike directly from the 70s. He was 70 or more, he said he was biking from Florence, in my opinion he was not so tired even with his very hard cassette. We talked for a while than he left with his vintage bicycle to the city.
    Certain types of people do not need expensive bicycles, they have something that is priceless...

Ride More, Whine Less
    I have been on both sides of the "sizing up" process, but for most of my life, I have been the subject of the attention rather than the giver of the attention. The most memorial case was during a triathlon where I wasn't as trim as others would believed I should have been. One female racer made a general comment that she was embarrassed at the number of "fat" people at the race. I had trained for that race for a year...and managed to not lose a pound. I looked soft (large in size) but was extremely fit. I was comfortable with a little insulation ("energy reserve" as I called it then).

There is also the case of "skinny" people being unfit. I had a friend who for all practical purposes looked very healthy. She was reasonably proportioned and what appeared to be a good weight for her height (or BMI). She participated in a research study where she had her body fat measured by a DEXA scan. Her body fat was an ungodly 48%! I, who for all practical purposes was the "fat" one (by looks) was down in the low 20%s. She was actually carrying more pounds of fat than I was.

New research is now really starting to understand more the relationship of weight, body composition and risk factors for disease (e.g., Association of weight status with mortality in adults w... [JAMA. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI). The more fit yet overweight have considerably less risk than the skinny-fat (i.e., limited muscle mass and a relatively high concentration of fat, particularly in the central regions of the body).

So while a person may look relatively round, he or she may be sporting an enormous engine and may have a surprisingly low amount of actual fat. It might just be more visible than in the skinny fat.

So I agree, don't judge and ride on. Your judgement or preconceived notions may be very wrong for the general population. Now, if you spot a person with bulging thighs, garden hose-sized veins in the legs and arms, and a razor sharp look, you may give them the benefit of the doubt and conclude that they could bury you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by freighttrainuphill View Post
    I don't remember where I saw this, but years ago I read about a guy on a MTB who likes to "lay waste to the roadies in the Marin Headlands". The poster referred to the guy as a "freak" because he was faster than the roadies even though he was riding a mountain bike.

I wanted to give that rider some major kudos, not make fun of him!
    For some reason that sounds familiar. I think I remember reading that the guy who started interloc racing used to hang out and wait for the roadies to come up the hill by his shop an hop on his mtb and chase them down or something. I wonder if that is the same thing we are talking about

Edit: it was actually paul thomasberg that use to hang out at the ird headquartes and chase the roadies, not the owner

mtbr member
    Im 44 and I ride a hell of a lot better than when I was in my 20's... go figure... take care of your body, eat well, and stop doing the hangover rides... that's my secret... and it doesnt hurt to have the modern technology of today's bikes..
    fat old man ... fueled by Mexican pastries....

It's about showing up.
    Judging riders by their appearance is a problem if you don't know what you're looking at.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    I ride a $50.00 target bike that I bought second hand. I took the decals off to make people guess so they wouldn't size my bike up so much.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Happened to me more than once.

Most memorable was a couple years ago. I was 27 and was meeting a guy I hadn't ridden with before who described himself as "intermediate". Well, he got there and got out of the truck... I swear he was probably 300 lbs at maybe 5'11"? And he was about 45 and just got off working a double shift at a factory, saying how tired he was.

I remember thinking, "Oh yeah, the excuses are flowing already. This is gonna suck waiting on this guy all day."

Turned out to be a really nice guy... when he was nice enough to stop and wait for me so we could chat. lol

Quite the humbling experience.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    Im 44 and I ride a hell of a lot better than when I was in my 20's... go figure... take care of your body, eat well, and stop doing the hangover rides... that's my secret... and it doesnt hurt to have the modern technology of today's bikes..
    Hangover rides are the best way to cure a hangover! I know what you mean though. The older I get the more I make sure to get good rest the night before a ride.

saddlemeat
    The older I get the earlier I nod out, works out well.
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

somehow still alive
    I don't "prejudge" anyone on the trails. I'm new to cycling and SUPER slow on the climbs and pretty slow on the flats.. I have a nice bike, but before I got this one I was on a wal-mart special, and I could still bomb the down hills fast. So I know better than to suspect that I may be faster than anyone!
    Not what you think.

My videos

Let's Ride!
    First "ducati meetup ride" I did a guy showed up on a KTM 525 dirt bike (supermoto tires)..............we rode 200 miles into the mountains with some guys on all carbon 1199 race bikes........the dude on the KTM lead the pack........he would slide into corners and wheelie out of them.............it was a blast!!

so it happens everywhere!
    Master of Nothing, but dammit if I don't try..............

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast