Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Single Track Addict
    Reputation: bulletboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    121

    Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Need reputable shop in Washington DC area!

    A friend of mine is starting an internship in DC this week end and needs a good shop to buy a commuter bike from.
    I figured that if he buys it locally, service would be included in the purchase price.
    I think most shops provide some sort of initial maintenance plan with a bike purchase.
    He is not a bike mechanic and would be in a bit of trouble to have to fix things himself.
    Especially given the fact that he would ride this10 miles everyday to get to work.
    Thoughts please?
    Thanks

  2. #2
    paintbucket
    Reputation: wooglin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,825
    Post this on the rbr commuting forum. MB1 will see it there and your friend will be all set.

    http://forums.roadbikereview.com/for...c&daysprune=14
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

  3. #3
    banned
    Reputation: Drewdane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,074
    Quote Originally Posted by bulletboy
    A friend of mine is starting an internship in DC this week end and needs a good shop to buy a commuter bike from.
    I figured that if he buys it locally, service would be included in the purchase price.
    I think most shops provide some sort of initial maintenance plan with a bike purchase.
    He is not a bike mechanic and would be in a bit of trouble to have to fix things himself.
    Especially given the fact that he would ride this10 miles everyday to get to work.
    Thoughts please?
    Thanks
    Shops I like: The Bike Lane: http://thebikelane.com/site/intro.cfm, Revolution Cycles: http://revolutioncycles.com/site/intro.cfm, and Hudson Trail Outfitters (several area stores). The DC 'burbs are lousy with Performance stores as well.

    Also, check here: http://www.more-mtb.org/

    here: http://www.waba.org/

    and here: best shops in MD/VA

  4. #4
    formerly Giantxc
    Reputation: MrXC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    645
    City Bikes in Chevy Chase MD (just outside of the beltway on CT Ave) would be my first choice.

    They have lots of options that can be used for commuting from tour ready roadies to hybrids and everything in between (more CX bikes than I've seen in one shop, touring rigs, 29" mtb's, fixies, etc.) and they are right on the Capital Cresent Trail so they do a good deal of commuter business. They also have a great wrenching staff that is very knowledgable and friendly. Check them out at citybikes.com

    In addition, they are hugely supportive of the local mountain biking scene. Mike has given away more bikes and schwag than I can count and they sponsor just about everything in the area.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JohnnyTooBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    353
    Spokes ETC, in Vienna, VA is a good roadie/commuter shop, fairly close to DC. They are limited in their MTB stuff and knowledge, but are very good at fitting and servicing, etc. www.spokesetc.com

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ShivaSteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    229
    I'd say Revolution or City Bikes within the District. Both also have suburban locations. Or College Park Bicycles if he is in that area.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: triscuit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    391
    Whatever he gets, make sure he gets tires that will withstand a lot of abuse. The potholes here are pretty awful, plus a lot of glass, etc. He will want tires that are puncture resistant.

    Will he have a car?

    If he will, or does not mind busing a little, another vote for City Bikes-Chevy Chase. Great mechanics, lots of bikes (Specialized, Bianchi, Jamis, Cannondale and a few others.) Jamis makes some great commuter bikes, maybe check out the Coda if he is not planning to ride off road...it has mountain cockpit on a road bike, and if they have any '04s left, he could get a great deal. They also have a nice parking lot to test ride on weekends, and are next to a bike path. It is on Connecticut Ave just past the beltway, if busing, grab a bus going out CT Ave from the Van Ness metro stop on the red line.

    If he will not have a car, and wants to stay close in the city for his purchase, City Bikes also has a store in Adams Morgan--Woodley Park/Zoo/Adams Morgan metro stop on the red line, about 1/2 mile walk. Mechanics are great, though a little surly at times, but hang out there on a weeknight between 5:30 and closing and you will quickly see why (amazes me how many people with really expensive bikes cannot change a tire!!!) But they know their stuff. In addition to brands listed above, they also have, or at least can get, Giant.
    Last edited by triscuit; 05-06-2005 at 12:36 PM.

  8. #8
    I HATE GOLF
    Reputation: Stophovr6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by bulletboy
    A friend of mine is starting an internship in DC this week end and needs a good shop to buy a commuter bike from.
    I figured that if he buys it locally, service would be included in the purchase price.
    I think most shops provide some sort of initial maintenance plan with a bike purchase.
    He is not a bike mechanic and would be in a bit of trouble to have to fix things himself.
    Especially given the fact that he would ride this10 miles everyday to get to work.
    Thoughts please?
    Thanks
    Revolution cycles is a good one, i think the website was mentioned above. I was born and raised in dc so i can second the pothole thing, although it has gotten better in the last five or so years. Besides that, just tell him to watch out for cars, they dont really know what bikes are and rush hour can get nasty, literaly. Where would he be riding too? Is he going to live outside of dc ie virginia and commute in? Im asuming his internship is either around goergetown or downtown? If he will be living in southeast, there is a good shop on 8th street SE across penn ave from eastern market. If you give me some more info, i might be able to help you better.
    FVCK YOU

  9. #9
    I am the owl
    Reputation: riderx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,708
    Tell him to get a good lock. Or three.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: triscuit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    391
    Yeah, the lock thing, riderx makes a good point...almost everyone I know who owns a bicycle has had one stolen, including me. A non bic pickable u-lock or two, and a hefty cable for wheels at a minimum.

    Depending on where he is interning, he might be able to find a parking garage that has a bike rack near the attendant. Not a guarantee of safety, but one more deterrent to add to the locks.

    Also depending on where he is living and interning, there are lots of bike paths in the area that can make commuting from MD or VA to DC a little more pleasant.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: drumbum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    603
    Quote Originally Posted by MrXC
    City Bikes in Chevy Chase MD (just outside of the beltway on CT Ave) would be my first choice.

    They have lots of options that can be used for commuting from tour ready roadies to hybrids and everything in between (more CX bikes than I've seen in one shop, touring rigs, 29" mtb's, fixies, etc.) and they are right on the Capital Cresent Trail so they do a good deal of commuter business. They also have a great wrenching staff that is very knowledgable and friendly. Check them out at citybikes.com

    In addition, they are hugely supportive of the local mountain biking scene. Mike has given away more bikes and schwag than I can count and they sponsor just about everything in the area.
    I would have to agree. I stopped there on one of my rides along the Cresent trail about a year ago, and walked out impressed. Huge selection....great people, too!

    Highly recommended!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RetroG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    494
    Quote Originally Posted by riderx
    Tell him to get a good lock. Or three.
    Don't you mean "Glock"?

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RetroG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    494
    Quote Originally Posted by triscuit
    Also depending on where he is living and interning, there are lots of bike paths in the area that can make commuting from MD or VA to DC a little more pleasant.
    Stay away from the South and East side of D.C. Commuting thru there could cost you your life. Go North or into Virginia.

  14. #14
    banned
    Reputation: gonzostrike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,258
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroG
    Stay away from the South and East side of D.C. Commuting thru there could cost you your life. Go North or into Virginia.
    silly coward racist.

  15. #15
    irrepressible derelict
    Reputation: Gill-Again's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    22
    I don't know gonz, he has a point. I used to have to drive through Anacostia for ultimate games, and that place is, ummm, not so good.

    I definitely wouldn't want to commute through there on a daily basis.
    Taste death, live life.

  16. #16
    I HATE GOLF
    Reputation: Stophovr6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroG
    Stay away from the South and East side of D.C. Commuting thru there could cost you your life. Go North or into Virginia.
    bahahaha...your funny.
    I grew up in South East. guess what, if you dont stare at them, they wont bite.
    im 5,6 120 and have been small for my age my whole life. I thought for sure i would have a dc gun story. Well, i did, but guess where it happened..in Georgetown of all effing places! In NW, the furthest you could be from Southeast while still in the city. That being said, dont go wondering the alleys of anacostia at night, but otherwise, dont worry.
    FVCK YOU

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AteMrYeats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    804
    Quote Originally Posted by Stophovr6
    bahahaha...your funny.
    I grew up in South East. guess what, if you dont stare at them, they wont bite.
    im 5,6 120 and have been small for my age my whole life. I thought for sure i would have a dc gun story. Well, i did, but guess where it happened..in Georgetown of all effing places! In NW, the furthest you could be from Southeast while still in the city. That being said, dont go wondering the alleys of anacostia at night, but otherwise, dont worry.
    Damn right. I'd be more worried about getting hit by some fat woman in an SUV in northern VA than commuting through SE Washington. Maybe the Cannible can't pedal as fast as he used to, but geez, is he afraid a bunch of black people are going to run him down for riding through their neighborhood? Oh wait, he's from Belgium, that's right.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: drumbum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    603
    Quote Originally Posted by Gill-Again
    I don't know gonz, he has a point. I used to have to drive through Anacostia for ultimate games, and that place is, ummm, not so good.

    I definitely wouldn't want to commute through there on a daily basis.
    Ride up near Anacostia, then hop on the Metro till the next stop....simple

  19. #19
    I HATE GOLF
    Reputation: Stophovr6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by drumbum
    Ride up near Anacostia, then hop on the Metro till the next stop....simple
    You could do that too...either way, i kinda doubt this guys commute is gonna be through anacostia, that would lead him into PG county, which isnt a great area either. My feeling is he will either be living in NW, Montgomery county or VA...Anyone else notice tho original poster has yet to respond.
    FVCK YOU

Similar Threads

  1. New to the area from Washington
    By Booge61 in forum Great Plains - OK, KS, NE, SD, ND
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-22-2005, 09:31 AM
  2. Any DC area shops that sell decent wheels?
    By Vecsus in forum Virginia, WV, Maryland, DC, Delaware
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-26-2004, 08:08 AM
  3. DC area road riders...ODB Brewfest...
    By iconoclaSSt in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-24-2004, 05:09 AM
  4. new to the dc area, need singletrack
    By rodeojones in forum Virginia, WV, Maryland, DC, Delaware
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-28-2004, 08:11 PM
  5. Best stocked LBS in Balt, DC, Fred area??
    By WeakMite in forum Virginia, WV, Maryland, DC, Delaware
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-11-2004, 03:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •