Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack

need a dog trailer. help save odus!

originally posted in the turner forum:

my dog odus's days of runnin beside me as i ride are pretty much over after last weeks hip dysplacia scare. ive spent the mornin lookin at pet trailers and have my eye on 2, a burley cub and a bykaboose newt (although id prefer a gecko as its much taller and less likely to allow odus to jump out and chase squirells) but before i plunk down some cash on one, i thought id ask if anyones gettin rid of a trailer in these parts.

theres a few things this trailers gotta have in order for it to work to his benifit and safety:
    disc brake compatability would be a plus
    100 lb weight capacity
    high quality hitch
    18" or higher side walls or enclosed canopy
    good ventalation
    flat bottom or somethin close to it
    hard shell or solid bottom

i should clarify the trailer im lookin for wont be used on mtb rides, but rather flatter stuff in town and in the parks. he does weigh 60 lbs afterall and i dont see it bein safe for him to ride in a trailer as i blaze the 1 track even if i was strong enough to pull him, which im not.

i have a BoB ibex trailer ive used 3 days on the road and a BoB yak with about 1500 miles if anyone is lookin to make a deal. ill keep one and i dont have a dry sack for the other. whatever helps me help him.

i posted some specs on what im thinkin would work best, the bykaboose gecko

price is a consideration but im not tryin to rob anyone. this is commin outta my '07 rfx fund. if ya have somethin that fits the criteria, drop me a pm or email with a pic, description and a price. needs to ship to 51106 in iowa.

i thank you and odus thanks you.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No, I'm NOT back!

Rolling
    Interesting idea. I feel for you.

One of my dogs had a surgery for herniated discs last summer, the other had torn cruciate ligament a resulting in TPLsurgery last summer. Both have arthritis and can't go on long runs anymore....

...I have resorted to hikes and walks without the bike. I gave up on the idea of them being riding buddies.

BTW, Sure a lot of Turner folks swarming the Passion forum this week.
    Last edited by lidarman; 04-04-2007 at 11:59 AM.

thanx man. i hope surgery isnt the way we need to go. just got him on Metacam after the Previcox stopped doin it for him and he started to hurt again. we had a cpl bad nights there and thats when i knew it was time to face my guilt and serve his needs instead of our desires.

might help ya to know the bykaboose and cub are both dog friendly.

the turner forum is slooooooow and i had to come over to bash on steve anyway. after hangin out and readin the stoke, i thought i might stay if its cool.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn

the turner forum is slooooooow and i had to come over to bash on steve anyway. after hangin out and readin the stoke, i thought i might stay if its cool.
    Figyurd such....He has no shame.

I was worried the momma and combat boots insults might fly, just like in first grade.

mtbr member
    If Metacam is to be used long term BE CAREFUL!! My 97 lb Rottweiler was on it for probably 6 months and then she just stopped eating. We found the Metacam was causing ulcers, hence she stopped eating because it caused her too much pain. We stopped the Metacam and changed her food to soft boring mushy stuff until she regained her strength.

I was looking into a trailer for my dog as well but not being happy with whats out there I turned to designing my own. Thanks for posting, your reminding me I need to finish that project
    Pain is weakness leaving the body

dirt enthusiast
    interesting indeed. never thought about pulling a trailer! not sure if i'd want to pull 100lbs either!

i just replaced my dogs knees (tplo) and he's retired from mtn biking for now. it might get to a point where i can take him again but its not likely. hard running is not so good for such a big boy. he's pretty content with a daily 3 mile hike instead!

keep us posted on the trailer and how well it works!
    i might be going to hell in a bucket, but at least i'm enjoying the ride

thanx for the tip nutty, and all the good wishes. its nice to see all the dog lovers but hard to hear of all the dogs in pain. i swear, this shyt is killin me almost as much as it is odus. it just sux but im determened to find a way for him to enjoy the sun on a ride.

ya know how they are, everything is their fave thing in the world but when i get my gear on, he reacts stonger than any other time, when i get the bike in hand, he would vocalize his excitement and when i said "wanna go for a bike ride?" he did his doggy dance. the kid lived for the ride times.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Oh, So Interesting!
    Sorry about Otis, my dog just retired from riding at 13 yrs old:

Junction, Fruita, and a Trail Dog's Last Ride

Also, what have you been using for pain and arthritis medication? I'm looking to buy something for my dog, and she will probably be on it for the rest of her life. I'd go to a vet, but they cost a lot (I'm a student) and then I'd have to buy the medicine for 10x what it costs online. Theres nothing really wrong with her, just old age...

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

Rolling
    I just realized--since I'm slow--that this thread could be mocking the baby trailer post.

No it can't be can it? :-O

nope, im totally serious on this one. would odus's face lie? saw it but havent opened it.

we started him on previcox last oct and now moved to metacam last week after he couldnt move without intense pain.
    No, I'm NOT back!

breathing helium
    Sorry to hear about the pup Cactuscorn. I am in a similar position with my lab Courtney.

02-23-07 Sat ride at Rat Hole Loop with the pup

She loves to go and run but she pays severely for it later.

Have you looked at the Burley Tailwagon. Looks like a doghouse on wheels to me. What a great name too!

Just roll it......
    Bummer about Odus, Cactus. Nothing finer than taking man's best friend out on the trail and ripping it up with them. You're damn fine for giving that a go.

My pups, Baker and Shasta, go on every ride with us and are as much of our crew as I am. If, god forbid, I ride without them, all I get is " where's the boys?" from the other guys. What am I....chopped liver?

Good luck with the trailer! I'm not sure that idea would work around here for most of our trails. They're just too rooty that it'd be impractical. I don't look forward to the day I'll have to deal with his situation though.

EB

Towing weight on a bike is really no biggie. I actually towed a couch on wheels behind my mtb in a college parade years ago...with two people sitting on it. Even then, I still had enough power left to ride wheelies and such. Even pulled the thing uphill.

I saw a dog-specific trailer awhile back that had a 100lb capacity, but I can't remember for the life of me where I saw it.

the tailwagon is indeed cool but has a low weight limit. if i get somethin with a 100 lb capacity, im good to go for both dogs if they so choose.

gotta re-state, this is not for off road trail use. not with a 60 lb lab on our hills with our roots. i see nuthin more than town cruises and jaunts on the flat paved riverside and crushed granite nature trails.

also this isnt a joke. odus needs a diff way of doin things and i need to help him out. im lookin to buy soon and im willin to discuss a trade for one of my bobs, in whole or in part dependin on what ya got.

thanx to everyone whos shown concirn for us and my heart goes out to all who share this ugly experience.
    No, I'm NOT back!

HIKE!

conservative weights

That Burley should handle the weight. They are conservative with that. Or just get a Burley Flat Bed and fasten on a dog kennel.

I've got a Dog Croozer and haul my 75 lb Husky in it. She has a love/hate with it. She knows when it comes out, we are going somewhere fun, but she doesn't like the short bit she has to be stuffed in it (actually she fits fine).

I just have to get her through the busy traffic sections before I can turn her loose to run along with me to work. So she spends 10% of the commute in the trailer.

thats pretty good news man. i liked that well enough but still gravitate to a open top design so ode can see, smell and feel the ride as much as possible. of course there are some huge advantages to a enclosed unit and burley builds em just about as good as anyone does. thanx tim.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    To cactus, I'm sorry to hear about your four legged friend, but am really encouraged by the effort you are putting into finding a way to still let him get out and ride with you.

This thread has also increased my want to have a dog again. I haven't had a dog for a few years now, but now that I am starting to trail ride more than road ride again, and seeing how much fun you have riding with your pups, I'm very jealous.

Good luck with finding a ride of Odus!

thanx skunk. now what are ya waitin for? go rescue a good dog at the humane society before they close. austrailian sheppards make great trail dogs if ya can find one. i couldnt so i got this one last sept. meet layla, a 30 lb sheppard mix? who knows? odus rescued us and saved me a trip 4 years ago.
    No, I'm NOT back!

attn dog lovers:

if youve been followin this story and all the help bein given for yer mutts, ya might find the discussion here helpful and interestin. just scoll down past all the standard "see my dog" pics till ya see ORVH's posts. hes a vet and has some pretty good ideas.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    thanx skunk. now what are ya waitin for? go rescue a good dog at the humane society before they close. austrailian sheppards make great trail dogs if ya can find one. i couldnt so i got this one last sept. meet layla, a 30 lb sheppard mix? who knows? odus rescued us and saved me a trip 4 years ago.
    Hear hear!!! Both of my boys are rescues. Found them on petfinder.com.....couldn't bring myself to paying a puppy mill knowing there are so many good dogs that need homes.

EB

so damn true ebx. i got layla days before headin out to THC '06. i was clued in by the gal who runs 1 of the local shelters who used to do a weekly interview durrin our noon news show on fridays. she was mine on saturday. odus, well he showed up one day in the back yard and asked if we had any pizza. apperantly we did so he stayed. he was obviously such a good dog i knew someone must be lookin for him. 6 weeks later i learned i was wrong and hes been with us ever since. those were 2 of the luckyest days in my life.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    cactus
    I've had pretty good luck towing our springer around in our standard kid-made burley.
    I could actually fit him and my 5yr old daughter in there for a while but now that she has graduated to the trail-a-bike he gets the burley to himself. I undid the back of the seat and put on of those big thick cushions for an outdoor patio chair in there. I hook him up to the crossbar with one of those really short leashes (maybe 16") so he can't jump out when he sees a squirrel, rabbit, horse, dog, etc...
    I keep the top off and let the wind blow in his face - he loves it. He'll jump in on his own beggin to go ride.
    Hope this helps.

why didnt i think of that? the damn seat un bolts on those. i like this idea alot. now to find one. anybody?
    No, I'm NOT back!

----woof----

No problem with a kid trailer

I picked up a Trek trailer at a garage sale for $60 and it's worked out great for the beach paths. Ellie is around 65 lbs and I haven't had any issues towing her around. I did have to remove the "seat" from the trailer and place a piece of carpeting inside otherwise her nails would eventually start tearing the floor. I also tether her inside so she won't try to jump out while we're moving. As long as you have good brakes on your bike, you shouldn't have any problems slowing down with the dog in tow.

Good luck.

ya think these might work?
    No, I'm NOT back!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast