\|/Home of the Braves\|/

Good job! NC or SC rides from the ATL

I've got a "free day" coming up and want to take a drive from Atlanta to NC or SC. I know there was a road trip up to Dupont a little while ago (SORBA?). How long did it take y'all end-to-end and what did you ride?
    One of my friends has also heard of some trails near Clemson that are supposed to be fun. Those would probably be easier to get to but I've heard so much about Dupont that I'd love to make the drive if I can swing it time-wise!
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I HUCK WITH CHUCK
    Yeah I personally dont think most of the trails in SC are worth saving an hour for, NC is soooooo much better. Pisgah is only 15 minutes past DuPont, but its a little harder to navigate for someone who has never been there. Dupont is complicated, but VERY well signed. I think I would go to pisgah and ride there, but you will love DuPont too.

I like Squishy Bikes

I think MGE's post has all the bases covered

A dirty book is rarely dusty

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Go to Pisgah or Dupont, don't waste your time in SC. We have some good trials, especially the stuff around Clemson, but it is not worthy of driving from Atlanta. Our stuff is mostly local, don't have enough time to go to NC, type stuff.

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Pisgah - Dupont...
    Dupont - Pisgah...

Just weighing the time element. Probably 3-1/2 to 4 hours each way. I suppose if it's a serious day trip we'll just have to leave early and pack some PBJ's to eat during the ride.

We'll be back up this summer for a camping/riding trip. A group of us have done Tsali the last couple years mainly because of the convenience once you're there. This year we'll hit some different trails!
    Big hoopy.

I love Pisgah
    Go to Tanasi and/or Chilhowee 8 miles down the road. I usually ride one or the other...camp at ThunderRock CG right on the Ocoee(the TR Express trail spills out right into the CG even), then ride the other the next day. About 20+ miles for each. Great 1 nighter weekend trip. 1:30hr drive from the Marietta.

Upgrade Addict

My vote for your day trip

Head to Chilhowee up at the Ocoee in TN. You can spend all day riding out there and barely touch the same trail twice. It isn't such a ball game getting there as it is to WNC. Head up right past Chattanooga on 75 and bang at right at Cleveland. It's about 45 minutes from Chatt so maybe 3 hours at MOST. To get there. You park at the top of Chilhowee mtn at the campground and ride, ride, ride. Waterfalls, tons of climbing and fast downhills. You'll love it. Go here: http://www.chattbike.com/maps_cues/mapscues.htm. Let me know when you go, I may have to come down with the flu that day...

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Now we're talking! It's probably a weekend day so you'd have to be careful what illness you claim with the wife What's better, Saturday, Sunday, or a "flu day"?
    I'll definitely post what's up. It's always good to ride a new trail with someone who knows where they're going!
    Nice tag line John, it does look like you've got "upgrage issues"!
    Big hoopy.

I love Pisgah
    I go up 575, turn left in Blue Ridge toward Ducktown by the McDonalds in BRidge, and your already there once you hit my name sake. Screw going up 75 and such. Thats way outta the way. Heck, you can go up 411 for that matter and its still faster.

Upgrade Addict

You are right...

I am used to going there from Chattanooga. 575 would be way faster.

\|/Home of the Braves\|/

Wink Sunday = "Flu day"?

Quote Originally Posted by johnmre
    I am used to going there from Chattanooga. 575 would be way faster.
    I've got a green light on the home front!
    Big hoopy.

Upgrade Addict

Doh'

Just got this. Sunday was the wife's birthday, anyway... wouldn't have worked. I am booked the next 2 weekends, too. Not to complain, I am going to Hawaii. Poor me. How does your schedule look this week? If nothing else, would you want to grab a ride at Mansell during lunch one day? Cut out early to do it? Let me know.

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    That could work. I'm doing a day trip to Charlotte on Thursday and it's supposed to rain some in the middle of the week. Tomorrow I need to hang out at the office most of the day, but Friday is a possibility.

It's not Hawaii but I'm going to Vegas next week. I should be able to get out and ride while the wife's in the spa
    I ended up doing Bear Creek - Mountaintown Creek yesterday. That was a lot of climbing!
    Big hoopy.

Upgrade Addict

I love that ride.

I've only done that 2 times but I loved it. Was Mountaintown creek very high? The last time I did that, some of the crossings were over the pedals. Friday works for me right now for either a 12:30ish ride or a cut out early ride. Let me know.

It's not what you think.
    We're doing a "Good Friday" ride at Chilhowie. Leaving from Woodstock.
    SORBA-Woodstock Diggin' dirt since 1999.

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Mountaintown was deep enough in places. Both me and the guy I was riding with went for a swim at different crossings. I had a hard time walking the section he went down in. That'll teach ya to laugh when someone else goes OTB!
    I'll let you know when it gets closer to the weekend. I'd probably lean towards leaving work early rather than having to go back.
    Big hoopy.