Powered by ice cream.

Name this frame (X-post Vintage)

This arrived in a box for me today. The frame is about a 1981-2 vintage.

I bought this when I was 11 using newspaper route money. I had previously been upgrading two other BMX frames piece by piece (this was the start of my bike addiction.) The final piece was this sweet chromed frame and fork.

My first BMX bike was a Huffy POS that I found at a garage sale, then I had a Stroker II frame (with the rectangular tubes). Got most of the running gear for that frame, finally upgraded to this frame. Still wish I had the Stroker as I thought it was way cool (but very heavy).

This frame languished once I saw and purchased my first mountain bike in 1983 (Schwinn High Sierra)(also newspaper money). As I grew, the BMX did not cut it, and the MTB was just way better transportation for a bigger kid.

I had 3 main rides as a kid: A Schwinn Cruiser for general rides to school, and paper route (great with the wide bars), The High Sierra for fast rides everywhere, and this frame for fun urban riding and messing around with friends. We used to have wheelie contests, bunny hop contests, etc. I clearly remember successfullly doing a wheelie drop off a picnic table on this bike (scared me badly). Tried it again, spun the rear wheel, and went off slow motion onto my head.

This particular bike, I have not seen for at least 15 years. I gave it too my nephew when he was little since I was in college and not using it any more. He outgrew it years ago. I asked him if he knew where it was the other day because my 5 year old is almost big enough to ride a 20 inch frame. He checked around, and it was still hanging in his dad's garage!

So, one UPS trip later, I have it back. All the parts are the same except the rear brake, and it is in reasonable shape. Someone painted all my anodized red components black, however .

I assembled it and it rides fine. Needs a lot of metal polish, and a complete rebuild of all bearings, then it is ready to go. Wonder if I can strip off the black paint without taking off the anodization?

Anyway, what is it? Think it's worth anything (other than memories)?

Anybody have any other stories of old bikes found again?
    Last edited by Enel; 11-03-2005 at 03:07 PM.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Paint thinner should remove the paint without harming the ano.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Paint thinner should remove the paint without harming the ano.
    Thanks. Do you think the "bubbling" type paint stripper would be safe?

mtbr member
    Hmmm. I know that color scheme from somewhere.

Schwinn Predator?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    Thanks. Do you think the "bubbling" type paint stripper would be safe?
    I would try plain paint thinner or lacquer thinner first. If they used Krylon spray paint the lacquer thinner will remove it very easily.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    Anyway, what is it?
    I'm thinking that its a Hutch race-type frame, not one of their freestyle platforms obviously.

If I'm right, is it worth anything? No idea, I've seen some prices get kinda steep for "old skool" bmx stuff on EBay. I sold a DK stem on there recently for $20 bucks more than I thought I'd get.

Gotta love revisiting those BMX memories, eh? I bet quite a few board members here started out on those things. Myself, I had a number of bikes around 1982-4, including a few different GTs, a cruiser GT frame, Profile, Vector, GHP, Mongoose ... probably a couple others I can't remember now.

Penny's my cow-cat

Smile Old BMX bikes you gotta luv'em

I'll take a wild guess and say REDLINE, I know it's a long shot. I was home last month and checking out my old BMXer in my dad's attic. It's an old Torker with a twin top-tube, still looks pretty good too. I haven't rode that sucker in 24 years (yes I said 24 years), I wonder if I tuned it up would it still be safe to ride? By the way does anybody know what happen to the company? Memories, memories an old bike can bring back.
    Last edited by Cowboy-jeff; 11-04-2005 at 01:00 AM.
    Penny has the fastest Paw in the west!

KARPIEL USA Rep.
    I'd say Redline or Cycle Pro
    KARPIEL'S NOW IN STOCK!brian@karpiel.com www.karpiel.com