Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Hope Nagging Wife Pressuring Me to Buy a New Bike

I've been contemplating on getting a new bike and decided to sell two to get one. I've been riding hardtails and rigids - my main ride is a 1986 RockHopper Comp that I put MILES on every week at my local trails. I have to part of my Dad in me (immigrant mentality, although I'm American) to buy cheap and upgrade. It's not very smart most of the time.

I just upgraded to a new BMX bike, and boy... what a good decision that was!

Anyway, I went bike shopping yesterday and looked at a few new AM bikes. Everything I ride is pretty outdated (but still very capable) considering how fast MTB technology is moving - I have yet to buy something with "modern" amenities. A modern full suspension would be a hardcore upgrade for me. The Ibis Mojo is what I'd love, but a little out of my price range. However, there is a sweet C'Dale Jekyll 4 on sale for a killer price. Here's a few things my wife had to say about it:

1) "If this is what you 'do', why not go with something really awesome?"
    2) "You should buy it today."
    3) "If this is going to improve your experience, then you should just take it home."
    4) "At this price, you shouldn't pass it up."
    5) (as we were leaving) "You can afford it. Just buy it and replenish the money when you sell your other two..."

...and so on. Anyway. That's my wife. She's an avid rider and beats herself up over Strava times. She often asks me after seeing her segment time getting beat, "Do you know who this chick is???"

I'm taking the more pragmatic approach and selling my two BEFORE I buy - they are still very sweet rigs, but my riding is getting stale and I need a change. I'm selling my On-One Inbred 29'er and my On-One 456. The new purchase should be positive like what happened with my BMX bike purchase.

My next commission check is going to be very big, so it will be hard to stay "pragmatic". The shop is going to hold that Jekyll for a week for me.

Nagging wife passion.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Lifes to short, get it, you can't take it with you when you die so enjoy it now.
    Almost forgot, the rest of us most likely delt with "you want to spend what on a bike" you're getting the green light dude, pedal to the metal.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member extraordinair
    Talk about your first world problems! LOL
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Stupendous Man View Post
    Talk about your first world problems! LOL
    HA! I figure there are too many threads about wives/girlfriends complaining about dudes riding. Just a change of pace

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Man you've got it rough........... Lol

powered by peanut butter.
    I was on the opposite end of the negotiation recently...

My wife wanted to upgrade a too-small 26'' FS to a right-sized 29'' FS recently. I had to talk her into the model that cost $1K more. It sure hurt to put that much on the credit card all at once, but now she has a solid rig that she's very happy with and that I won't have to tinker with much over the coming years. No regrets. Sounds like you're in a good position--buy it already, and post up pics!
    "Never trust a man in a blue trench coat. Never drive a car when you're dead." -- Tom Waits

MTB, Road, Commuting
    I've had the same problem, blah blah blah, you should just get it, blah blah blah. Now I have 7 bikes. It's SO upsetting.

I don't subscribe to the whole upgrade it theory, tires, saddles & grips excluded. The components are never going to be cheaper than they are when you buy them on a complete bike. At least that's what I tell myself.

mtbr member
    That's Awesome!
    My Girlfriend did the same to me.... I went looking at a Rocky Mountain carbon bike and there was one on sale at a LBS. For me I need to research a big purchase before I buy it. Poor emily had to put up with me talking about the bike, and magazines, etc around the house for the better part of a week.

She finally got to the point where she was fed up and told me that if it was what I wanted, and what I needed to go ahead and get it.. Either she was happy that I was getting the bike, or she just didn't want to hear about the bike or see the bike anymore...

Either way, it was a win win...
    Team Van Go
    Santa Cruz Heckler
    Rocky Mountain Element 70
    Salsa Mukluk - Fat Bike!
    http://www.teamvango.ca

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Dude.... You are showing off. But I guess if I had a wife that nagged me to buy a bike, I'd show off too.

Don't worry, be happy!
    I'm not sure that "nagging" is the correct terminology.

Only 5 lives left
    Wait until later on when she hits you with "Remember when I said you should buy that expensive bike...." Kidding aside, if you got the green light and the greens in the bank go for it!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    I've had the same problem, blah blah blah, you should just get it, blah blah blah. Now I have 7 bikes. It's SO upsetting.

I don't subscribe to the whole upgrade it theory, tires, saddles & grips excluded. The components are never going to be cheaper than they are when you buy them on a complete bike. At least that's what I tell myself.
    Yeah, she actually hates that I polish turds. My bikes aren't turds, but to her, she likes the idea of buying completes. We bought her a complete (road bike) a year ago, and she loves that bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    So..mmmm, does she have a sister?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Nagging Wife Pressuring Me to Buy a New Bike

Get the Ibis you want. If you don't you will always wish you did. Life is short, it sounds like you can afford it, and it is a healthy hobby.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

PRETENDURO
    Dion, I think that your wife needs to hang around my wife in the hopes that her nonstandard ways will rub off on my wife!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    The real reason she wants you to get a new bike so bad is cuz maybe someone else wants one too.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    you're getting the green light dude, pedal to the metal.

Nagging Wife Pressuring Me to Buy a New Bike

My wife is next in line and she likes to remind me from time to time. That time is a little bit off just yet while we work to resolve our housing situation.

She isn't sure what she wants right now. Her current mtb is just an entry level bike but she is still a beginner in the skill dept and isn't sure if she wants a new mtb. At minimum, however, it needs a new fork. The old elastomer one has begun to develop some rust on the stanchions. She also has thought about a city/pavement bike. She knows she doesn't want a regular road bike but she cannot keep up with my city bike on pavement and would like a more appropriate bike for that.

It's good we are not in a rush but I am leaning towards a fork upgrade and a new city bike for her. Either way, I will probably be the one pushing her to make a choice and buy the bike in the end.

Pedal Damn it!
    Dude! your so lucky to have a wife telling you to upgrade your bike.. I had to wait till it was my wife's "idea" to get new bikes.. she wanted one, and I just used that as an opportunity to get one myself..

Dont even get me started on when I wanted to upgrade my handles bars.. I won.. but barely.. did I even win? I got the bars..

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tyh83 View Post
    That's Awesome!
    My Girlfriend did the same to me.... I went looking at a Rocky Mountain carbon bike and there was one on sale at a LBS. For me I need to research a big purchase before I buy it. Poor emily had to put up with me talking about the bike, and magazines, etc around the house for the better part of a week.
    Researched for almost a whole week? My wife had to put up with it for about 9 months before i finally pulled the trigger.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    ...and she still doesnt yet know that I ordered it last week. Havent decided how to break it to her yet.

FKA Malibu412
    And you are here posting this why???
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Glide the Clyde View Post
    And you are here posting this why???
    Because it's fun and I love my wife for being awesome. There's enough complaining about significant others complaining about riding, spending money on bikes, etc. Those of us who have supportive spouses ought to brag a little.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by moose1 View Post
    The real reason she wants you to get a new bike so bad is cuz maybe someone else wants one too.
    HA! YES! We've had the discussion about a road bike upgrade for her not too long ago. Hmmmmmmm....
    Last edited by Dion; 05-14-2013 at 08:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    I've been contemplating on getting a new bike and decided to sell two to get one. I've been riding hardtails and rigids - my main ride is a 1986 RockHopper Comp that I put MILES on every week at my local trails. I have to part of my Dad in me (immigrant mentality, although I'm American) to buy cheap and upgrade. It's not very smart most of the time.

I just upgraded to a new BMX bike, and boy... what a good decision that was!

Anyway, I went bike shopping yesterday and looked at a few new AM bikes. Everything I ride is pretty outdated (but still very capable) considering how fast MTB technology is moving - I have yet to buy something with "modern" amenities. A modern full suspension would be a hardcore upgrade for me. The Ibis Mojo is what I'd love, but a little out of my price range. However, there is a sweet C'Dale Jekyll 4 on sale for a killer price. Here's a few things my wife had to say about it:

1) "If this is what you 'do', why not go with something really awesome?"
    2) "You should buy it today."
    3) "If this is going to improve your experience, then you should just take it home."
    4) "At this price, you shouldn't pass it up."
    5) (as we were leaving) "You can afford it. Just buy it and replenish the money when you sell your other two..."

...and so on. Anyway. That's my wife. She's an avid rider and beats herself up over Strava times. She often asks me after seeing her segment time getting beat, "Do you know who this chick is???"

I'm taking the more pragmatic approach and selling my two BEFORE I buy - they are still very sweet rigs, but my riding is getting stale and I need a change. I'm selling my On-One Inbred 29'er and my On-One 456. The new purchase should be positive like what happened with my BMX bike purchase.

My next commission check is going to be very big, so it will be hard to stay "pragmatic". The shop is going to hold that Jekyll for a week for me.

Nagging wife passion.
    I think your wife is my wife's long lost sister. She nags me the exact same way. Buy that bike, boat, car, etc... You can afford it, you deserve it, buy the best you can, etc... I do get revenge as I nag her to also buy cool stuff. I forced her to demo a full suspension rig at Kingdom Trails last year. She loved it but said her existing bike worked just fine. I bought her a new bike anyhow. She never rode the old bike again.

Don't get me wrong, I really love my wife. I just am a little doubtful about her questionable taste in men

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast