mtbr member
    Feb 2004

?N+1? Vs Ride More

Was thinking of N+1 the other day, we all love equipment don't we? And we like reading about it when we can't ride our bikes (work, family, lazy...), especially in the winter months. I've found the holy grail(s) of equipment is stuff that gets you out riding more. I'm not the first one...there are others

Up here in Canada that means - a winter bike you don't mind riding on salty, slushy roads (just a quick wipe down after); tires that work reasonably well on slick roads; lights so you can ride when it's dark; booties, chemical toe warmers, balaclava, 1-2 gloves, good base layers, wind proof jacket, etc; money to replace the parts that break down faster. It's these items, as an example, that fuel passion.

I question the following items (I'm a roadie too) - power meters, hrm, indoor trainers (though I have one, I ride it sparingly), carbon cages...
    Last edited by noonievut; 03-16-2014 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Changed the title

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I'm on the same page. The best bike-related thing I've purchased in the last 6+ months was a Bontrager jacket. I ended up riding a lot more this winter because of it. Anything that gets you off the couch is a good thing!

mtbr member
    The other thing is never buy full price. Buy used when you can. Also sell stuff you don't use to pay for the stuff you do use.

Ultimately the goal should be work less - spend time with family and friends and play with them more.
    I like to ride bikes.

Bicycle Addict
    I think most of us go through a phase where we want all the latest and greatest upgrades. I just recently go out of that phase. I ultimately became tired of buying upgrades and scouring the internet for the best deals, all the while my bike sat in the garage. Now, I think I'm finally happy with my bike and I'm going to start focusing more on becoming a better rider.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    It's a good feeling. I reached that awhile ago and have been trying to use this approach with the other things I like to do. I scuba dive and would like to take some tech diving course so I can become a better diver and be more self reliant. The problem is the gear is crazy expensive. Makes mountain biking look cheap. I should be happy with the kit I have, which is super nice, and dive more.

Quote Originally Posted by J3SSEB View Post
    I think most of us go through a phase where we want all the latest and greatest upgrades. I just recently go out of that phase. I ultimately became tired of buying upgrades and scouring the internet for the best deals, all the while my bike sat in the garage. Now, I think I'm finally happy with my bike and I'm going to start focusing more on becoming a better rider.
    I like to ride bikes.

beater
    I don't know. I'd vote n+1 AND ride more. During the season I'm riding nearly every available moment, but I still see unfilled niches in my stable. I'm currently space and money limited, so I'm holding at a AM bike and a DJ bike.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.