Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    canuck

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Sitting in my cubicle when its 86 degrees outside with few clowds is just a bit easier reading this thread ... 2 hours 7 minutes to go til Friday's ride and imbibe!!

Unpredictable
    If you move here it was Friday's ride yesterday! Not a Jackwagon in sight, but tracks were seen

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    OMG what is the big deal, it not like he peed on your ride.

mtbr member
    I can't believe this thread is still going

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XCSKIBUM
    Me too.

Here's my back yard.

Your dog is probably thinking to himself that you are a Jackwagon, and that you Mr. Human should be using your bathroom not his.
    You will be scarred for life if you click my avatar

GOT ME A 29ER!!!
    Mar 2011
    Very eduacational thread, I have learned the proper distance for peeing, the definition of "jackwagon" and that pee is sterile. I had no idea about any of these before---lol
    This is also the first post ever that I have read the whole thing

Unpredictable
    That's a Golden Shower Trophy for the OP then

mtbr member
    this is a
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "foot to pedal, wheel to dirt, there is no substitute for the act of riding "

mnoutain bkie rdier
    I don't haz pee you haz pee

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rebel1916
    Anyone ever play Edward 40hands. It's when you duct tape a 40 oz to each hand and the first contestant to finish wins. Needless to say, this makes urination difficult. I have known a number of skirted women to remove their drawers, prior to taping their hands, in order to gain an unfair advantage by being able to relieve themselves mid game. I always just though it showed admirable competitive drive.
    Yeah, played once. We were done in 20 minutes and at the grocery store (beers taped to hands) to buy another round before we had to pee.

Derptastic
    Not all trails have a magical outhouse conveniently located, but mine does.

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadric
    So does mine....

Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

canuck

Retired User

Unpredictable
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadric

Hey Nadric, you look like you do clockwise laps of your facilities. And maybe cut the corner once in a while?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by brentos
    Yeah, played once. We were done in 20 minutes and at the grocery store (beers taped to hands) to buy another round before we had to pee.
    Lies, gypsy lies!

Hissatsu Jitensha-nin
    Quote Originally Posted by daves4mtb
    I think it is safe to say that the original poster is not Bear Grylls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2zITvSp0Hk

That. Was. Epic

Cantankerous Old Fart
    Quote Originally Posted by longfinkillie
    That. Was. Epic

Don't forget the poo juice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOvF4...eature=related
    Those that say "hardtails rule" never rode the miles I ride on the trails I ride.

Hissatsu Jitensha-nin
    That. Was. Septic

Dirt Deviant
    At least he introduced himself BEFORE he pee'd.
    I would have been kind of grossed out if he pulled up, pee'd, then tried to shake my hand.....= )
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Every time I go for a ride, I try to take a nice pee. There's nothing more relaxing than taking a leak in the wild. Of course, when there is a chance of hikers coming around, I try to move away from the trail and find a bush to water. And no, I don't care about shaking anybody's hand after, either! (maybe hand sanitizer is in order?)

Unpredictable
    Quick late PM ride today. 4 guys, one girl. One of us guys is pissing at a 3 way intersection 10m from the entrance to the trail system while the girl climbs over the style. Before we started! No-one even commented. Maybe everyone noticed, but no-one gave a flying%......

mtbr member
    When my dog was a puppy and would wake me up at 5 to go outside, just about the time I was opening the door, I'd have to go so I joined her outside. That's when I learned that people pee kills grass. There was a bald spot outside our front door that was all me. I miss living in the country.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dwnhlldav View Post
    When my dog was a puppy and would wake me up at 5 to go outside, just about the time I was opening the door, I'd have to go so I joined her outside. That's when I learned that people pee kills grass. There was a bald spot outside our front door that was all me. I miss living in the country.
    LOL!
    Yep, peeing outside the house was a favorite of mine when I was younger. With a large, fenced yard, if I woke up at 3am and wanted to go take a leak, I could just open the door and wander around in the dark. Great memories! maybe that's why I became a night owl...

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    Hopefully for the OP's sake he never ends up in a country like Iraq. This chair was designed to sh*t in a bag called a wag bag so it could be burned. It was originally out in the open since we didn't have anything but our vehicles with us at the time. It's definately a wierd experience taking a dump in a bag out in the open desert.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles
    That depends. Can you go fvck yourself?

Unpredictable
    Could you fit that wag bag rig in your Camelback for longer or multi-day rides?

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridnparadise View Post
    you could probably fit a couple. Its a package about the size of a sandwich sized ziplock bag. Inside the package is a ziplock bag, a smallish trashbag with what seemed like kitty litter in it, a little tp, and a wet wipe. You could actually probably get wag bags at a military surplus store. They seem to have everything else so I don't see why they wouldn't have them.

Hissatsu Jitensha-nin
    My ride today. Passion removed by wag bag rider

Best thread ever.

GOT ME A 29ER!!!
    Mar 2011
    lol I had a conversation with 3 guys at the trail head while they peed today. Its all good as long as they point away from my bike

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    Quote Originally Posted by daves4mtb View Post
    Do you guys leave them on Iraqi doorsteps when you burn them? I
    Nah, considering they wipe their a$$ with their bare hand and have raw sewage ditches right outside their houses I don't think that a neatly bagged turd would bother them much

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    lol i was in comfort the year (04) I was in Kirkuk...but I had to take a cr*p in the desert at NTC once with no portajohn in site--nuttin but d convoy lol never after that in the army did i decide to drink several quarts of energy drink right before rolling for the field.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbnoobadam View Post
    Nah, considering they wipe their a$$ with their bare hand and have raw sewage ditches right outside their houses I don't think that a neatly bagged turd would bother them much

Unpredictable
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ridnparadise
    you could probably fit a couple. Its a package about the size of a sandwich sized ziplock bag. Inside the package is a ziplock bag, a smallish trashbag with what seemed like kitty litter in it, a little tp, and a wet wipe. You could actually probably get wag bags at a military surplus store. They seem to have everything else so I don't see why they wouldn't have them.

I actually meant the whole, tent, seat, the works, but never mind that, I like the turn this thread has taken.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The original poster may want to consider promoting this:

http://www.bumperdumper.com/bumper2.htm

If more people used this product fewer people would go on the trail. A bike attachment would be awesome though.

GOT ME A 29ER!!!
    Mar 2011
    You could rig up something with a plastic bag, duct tape and a coat hanger under your top tube. With a little skill it would work in transit.

CEO Product Failure
    Bear Grylls....good gawd...that was too much. Not as bad as the infamous 2 girls 1 cup thing but wow...

Slightly on / off topic; some unnamed "people-who-should-know-better" catheterize (bladder catheter) themselves for the Indy 500 every year. Big race fans; love to drink, and don't want to wait in line and miss the race. The catheterization "tradition" started 20+ years ago when they snuck a funnel and garden hose into the stands...the hose kinda went "wherever", comedy ensued as did ejection from the event. Btw, they are all physicians...buncha jackwagon Indy fans...

Keep The Rubber Side Down
    Many years of working in night clubs and bars has left me with countless sightings of men and women answering nature's call in parking lots in between cars. Most of them were not too descreet about it either.
    Some of my happiest memories in life took place on my bicycles. - Me

mtbr member

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow View Post
    Many years of working in night clubs and bars has left me with countless sightings of men and women answering nature's call in parking lots in between cars. Most of them were not too descreet about it either.
    ...and you weren't a 'Hard-Ass' about it and that's how you got your Screen-Name
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

No good Cracking down on jackwagons!

Looks like the OP's movement is gaining speed..

Olympic Park visitors urged not to pee near trails
    AP

– 46 mins ago

PORT ANGELES, Wash. – Olympic National Park in Washington state is urging hikers not to urinate along backcountry trails to avoid attracting mountain goats who lick urine deposits for salt.

The advice is part of a plan to avoid aggressive goats like the one that gored a Port Angeles, Wash., man to death in October.

The Peninsula Daily News reports the popular park also may close trails where goats follow people or enter camp sites.

Backcountry campers are advised to urinate 200 feet away from trails to prevent the trails from turning into "long, linier salt licks."
    source: http://old.news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110...mountain_goats

GOT ME A 29ER!!!
    Mar 2011
    Pee does things to people (and goats) changes them from your best friend to a growling monster that you hardly even recognize.

Don't do pee kids

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow View Post
    Such an tragic story, you might have ptsd from all that urine based trauma.

Do you ever have flash-backs when nature calls? :P

ozz
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pathogen View Post
    Quote:
    Olympic Park visitors urged not to pee near trails
    AP

– 46 mins ago

PORT ANGELES, Wash. – Olympic National Park in Washington state is urging hikers not to urinate along backcountry trails to avoid attracting mountain goats who lick urine deposits for salt.

The advice is part of a plan to avoid aggressive goats like the one that gored a Port Angeles, Wash., man to death in October.
    Sounds like one pissed off goat.

mtbr member
    Visit SE Asia and you get to see people squating in gutters.

And in Britain in public is not a problem, shy is not an option.

Name:  portapotty.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  22.5 KB

Unpredictable
    Heard from someone who went to Expo in China last year that because of poor attendance numbers, each day the government would bus in people from the country to make Expo look busy. He said there would be buses 100 deep and 30 wide parked in a lot a little away from the exhibition. The transportees all wore trousers with big flaps and dropped whatever excrement they chose wherever they stood or squatted. Not pretty or fragrant and not on dirt, so never to be of use the the environment (or goats).

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    This epic thread is getting my first post. You guys are freaking hilarious. I wonder if the OP pees in the shower?

mtbr member
    thread FAIL
    60% of the time ......it works all the time

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I don't see why would get upset unless it made your dong feel small

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Credible View Post
    thread WIN

Fixed.

mtbr member
    Pope **** in the woods..

DeForest Stump
    Quote Originally Posted by daves4mtb View Post
    What is so bad about a little urine? I mean, heck, these days, the astronauts drink it!

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/20...tic-water-bag/

urine! It's not just for Bear Grylls anymore!
    I'm trying to quit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Got out of the truck to get ready to ride and an SUV pulls up beside me and a dude opens the door, steps out, and starts pissing using the door to hide his junk. Funny part was he went to put his shoes on to ride and he had grabbed one roadie shoe and one mtb shoe. I got up in his face and said "SERVES YOU RIGHT FOR REMOVING MY PASSION YOU JACKWAGON".

I then drove off and cried a little.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brianpalser View Post
    Got out of the truck to get ready to ride and an SUV pulls up beside me and a dude opens the door, steps out, and starts pissing using the door to hide his junk. Funny part was he went to put his shoes on to ride and he had grabbed one roadie shoe and one mtb shoe. I got up in his face and said "SERVES YOU RIGHT FOR REMOVING MY PASSION YOU JACKWAGON".

I then drove off and cried a little.
    You got bullied in school didnt you?>

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
    ok, on a serious note, would this guy be considered a jackwagon rider....?

COLUMBUS, Ohio, March 20 (UPI) — An Ohio man’s drinking problem has landed him in jail, but not for alcohol abuse, officials said. Alan David Passion, 59, allegedly has a fetish for drinking urine and he has been ordered to spend 30 days in jail and five years under house arrest for a recent bathroom-related crime, The Columbus Dispatch reported. “I’m not certain jail time is going to do the trick for him,” said Columbus Assistant City Prosecutor Joseph E. Schmotsky. “It seems like what Mr. Passion really wants to do is just do the jail time and then get out and do it again.” The judge also banned Patton from using public restrooms.
    I shat bricks when I saw that! One man's piss is another man's...drink

saddlemeat
    Quote Originally Posted by interlude27 View Post
    I shat bricks when I saw that! One man's piss is another man's...drink
    Hope you shat those bricks off the trail and out of sight of God, man, and animal.
    I ride with the best dogs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bsieb View Post
    Hope you shat those bricks off the trail and out of sight of God, man, and animal.
    Well I'm pretty sure I was sitting at my computer when I first heard about that. (on a side note...can yall see my avatar?)

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Marko G View Post
    your right, it disgusts me when humans urinate in forests. I mean, animals are one thing, but humans, c'mon...
    it disgusts me to think about humans urinating in clean drinking water. putting the nitrogen back into the land makes a lot more sense.

Now too many people urinating/defecating into a landscape can have negative ecosystem effects, so one must be wise about where one returns nutrients to the soil.

check out the humanure handbook if you're interested in this line of reasoning! www.humanurehandbook.com

ozz
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    According to Urban Dictionary the OP is the jackwagon:

1. jackwagon - a crybaby loser p*ssy-type who needs to grow some cajones and start acting like a man.
    Billy: "Dude, I can't get Ronnie to play tackle football with us 'cause he's too afraid of getting hit."
    Jimmy: "It doesn't surprise me, he's always been a freakin' jackwagon anyway."

R. Lee Ermey gives us an example of proper usage:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qiQI-zrPvQ

Unpredictable
    According to Urban Dictionary the OP is the jackwagon:

1. jackwagon - a crybaby loser p*ssy-type who needs to grow some cajones and start acting like a man.
    Billy: "Dude, I can't get Ronnie to play tackle football with us 'cause he's too afraid of getting hit."
    Jimmy: "It doesn't surprise me, he's always been a freakin' jackwagon anyway."

R. Lee Ermey gives us an example of proper usage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qiQI-zrPvQ

Just what this thread needs most, good solid facts. I'm mopping tears.

saddlemeat
    Quote Originally Posted by PretendGentleman View Post
    it disgusts me to think about humans urinating in clean drinking water. putting the nitrogen back into the land makes a lot more sense.

Now too many people urinating/defecating into a landscape can have negative ecosystem effects, so one must be wise about where one returns nutrients to the soil.

check out the humanure handbook if you're interested in this line of reasoning! www.humanurehandbook.com
    Hey, I ordered that book a couple days ago... designing a twin bin composter system for a house I'm in the process of building. The Norwegians seem to be ahead of the curve in this respect, they have high rise apartment buildings that use composting toilet systems. Turning up our collective nose in disgust and letting someone else deal with human waste is short sighted and increasingly expensive. Indeed, many of the legacy systems in place (individual and municipal) are ticking time bombs, making large scale municipal RO water treatment necessary. It is still common for human waste to be discharged directly into bodies of water which supply drinking water downstream. Crapping in drinking water is a nasty habit, but as many posters to this thread have indicated, changing learned habits is difficult. One should not be proud of the inability to deal with human waste.

Unpredictable
    One should not be proud of the inability to deal with human waste.
    Does that mean that because I shovel heaps of it every day at work, I am doing my part?

saddlemeat
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridnparadise View Post
    Does that mean that because I shovel heaps of it every day at work, I am doing my part?
    Of course... you should be very proud.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hey, I ordered that book a couple days ago... designing a twin bin composter system for a house I'm in the process of building. The Norwegians seem to be ahead of the curve in this respect, they have high rise apartment buildings that use composting toilet systems. Turning up our collective nose in disgust and letting someone else deal with human waste is short sighted and increasingly expensive. Indeed, many of the legacy systems in place (individual and municipal) are ticking time bombs, making large scale municipal RO water treatment necessary. It is still common for human waste to be discharged directly into bodies of water which supply drinking water downstream. Crapping in drinking water is a nasty habit, but as many posters to this thread have indicated, changing learned habits is difficult. One should not be proud of the inability to deal with human waste.
    the book is amazing. I read it because I was interested in learning more about composting, but I hope to someday compost my own waste, though I'd have to be living somewhere with a decent bit of land.

Its frightening to consider the effects of waste treatment plant effluent on people downstream. With these types of problems, free markets fail to encourage optimal behavior. Just like how the guy who chooses to commute by bicycle rather than car provides more benefits to others than to himself, the one who manages her own waste does so out of a sense of duty/altruism or whatever it takes, but its not selfishness! To have this sort of behavior on a large scale would require some serious legislation that news pundits would grind to bits. Afterall, look at how people justify ending energy efficient light bulb programs.

hyperbolized quote from a right wing-ed texan: "I have every right to dump as much waste into America's or the World's water bodies and atmosphere as I please. This is a free country, gawdamit! That is of course unless you want to be free from my pollutants, heh heh heh."

The OP...

Quote Originally Posted by dynomight View Post
    This epic thread is getting my first post. You guys are freaking hilarious. I wonder if the OP pees in the shower?
    probably doesn't even pee!

Rides like a kid

actually

"waste treatment plant effluent "
    Modern day Wastewater Treatment is highly regulated and the effluent returned is higher quality (meaning, closer to drinking water) than the "freshwater" bodies they are returning it to. The industry is actually very interesting and the use of different microbes in different stages is basically the same as composting but on a much bigger scale. Also, a properly set up wastewater treatment facility uses very little electricity. The use of screw pumps to elevate the waste water and agitators in the pools along with the electronic monitoring and sampling system are the only electric users, unless they are using a UV system to kill bacterea, and then everything flows downhill through the plant (once separated from the solids). The solids are often sold as fertilizer.

Yes, I pee in the woods. I pee in the shower too, but only when I am drunk (for some reason). I clean the shower (and all bathrooms) in my house, so I get to do what I want. If my wife wants me to stop peeing in the shower (first she would have to catch me doing it) I would tell her that when she cleans the bathroom, I'll stop

Hissatsu Jitensha-nin
    ^of all the men in the world, we thank thee SilkMonkeyLove. A rep point for saying the things we couldn't express ourselves

Rides like a kid
    I suppose it could be said that I know my sh1t ;-)

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I just went for a ride up the canyon by the University of Utah, and when I was above everything (and everybody else), and since I ride alone, what better place to take a leak?

And Yes, It Was Glorious!

mtbr member
    I haven't read all the responses. but I have a few questions for the OP

Was the "jackwagon" facing you and grinning?
    Was he as stiff as your hardtail bike?
    Was he shaking it off extremely quickly, so much so it made a "fapfapfap" type sound?

If none of the above apply, and your passion was lost, see your doctor for some testosterone therapy.
    Good luck!

Unpredictable
    Quote Originally Posted by SilkMoneyLove View Post

Yes, I pee in the woods. I pee in the shower too, but only when I am drunk (for some reason). I clean the shower (and all bathrooms) in my house, so I get to do what I want. If my wife wants me to stop peeing in the shower (first she would have to catch me doing it) I would tell her that when she cleans the bathroom, I'll stop
    longfinkillie: If you think this is a benchmark for men, then you are a girl.

Rides like a kid
    Is it unmanly to clean a bathroom? I don't get it. Is your bathroom self cleaning?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Modern day Wastewater Treatment is highly regulated and the effluent returned is higher quality (meaning, closer to drinking water) than the "freshwater" bodies they are returning it to. The industry is actually very interesting and the use of different microbes in different stages is basically the same as composting but on a much bigger scale. Also, a properly set up wastewater treatment facility uses very little electricity. The use of screw pumps to elevate the waste water and agitators in the pools along with the electronic monitoring and sampling system are the only electric users, unless they are using a UV system to kill bacterea, and then everything flows downhill through the plant (once separated from the solids). The solids are often sold as fertilizer.
    waste treatment plants vary quite a bit in terms of how clean the water is and how efficient they are. I'm not an expert, but I do study water quality issues, and no waste treatment plants considers all of the many chemicals that are potentially of concern to human health.

One issue, for example, poorly addressed in waste treatment plants is the fate of metabolized medicines. birth control related hormonally active metabolites are an example of a chemical group not addressed by many waste treatment plants. Clearly people are very concerned about long term exposure to detectable quantities of estrogen-like chemicals.

Another example of waste treatment plants coming up short has been highlighted by the disposal of hydro-fracking residuals. Waste treatment plants have been found to accept and process these wastes even though they don't even look at the "clean" water except for a relatively short list of contaminants.

Also if you live in a small town, your waste treatment plant has potentially very low standards, so good luck with what you drink and good luck with where your sewage goes after you flush it.

The comparison to "freshwater" is interesting, but with pharmaceutical metabolites showing up in large and relatively remote water bodies its clear we don't have much water that can be called fresh without the quotation marks. How our institutions define clean illustrates the extent to which we have no idea which chemicals are important to avoid or measure and how poor our understanding is of the fate of any water.

Finally, the energy efficiency of waste-water treatment plants is a difficult question to look at, as one must look at the entire water system's energy budget(and energy efficiency is irrelevant to human welfare in complete markets). If by flushing with drinking water we dramatically increase our water use, requiring enormous investments in infrastructure, we can properly consider those costs only by including energy used in construction, transportation and treatment before use and transportation and treatment after use. Fortunately rainfall allows for the entire system to be downhill(theoretically), but I know of at least one town that uses pumps to keep their reservoir full in low rain fall years. We must also consider the opportunity costs of water and the system, for example, water flowing downhill for waste transport could have instead generated electricity, provided recreation, and supported ecosystems that benefit humans.

Oh the many weird turns this thread has taken; LOL!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Funny thread

One time I was driving back into town after a ride and I had to pee. Thought I could make it home but of course ran into a big traffic jam. Like a jackwagon, I had to get out of the car and pee next to the stopped traffic. I was just glad I didn't get arrested

namagomi
    Check out these jackwagons...

Probably getting it allover their handlebars!

mtbr member
    Let me get this straight. Your wife took your daughter to the doctor for the FLU????

And you wonder why insurance, and health care costs are high.
    Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back.

Rides like a kid
    One issue, for example, poorly addressed in waste treatment plants is the fate of metabolized medicines...
    All very good points to think about. These are much larger issues than just how we do water treatment. Any solutions that you can think of that would work on a large scale and be economically viable? We have these legacy systems in place and while they can be updated, there is should be some "clean slate" thinking on the problems we face now and problems we will face with a growing and aging population.

Anonymous - Depending on what daycare you are in, if your child is sick with certain symptoms, you have to take them to the doctor before they will let you drop them back off. So, yes, insurance and health care costs are out of control because the system is set up that way. We even had to get my daughter's dentist to sign a form before she could start Kindergarten in our school district. So, I have to jump through hoops, meanwhile the religious nutjobs can just claim it is against their religion and sign their kids up. What a system huh?

BTW and back on topic, my daughter pees in the woods too ;-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PretendGentleman View Post
    waste treatment plants vary quite a bit in terms of how clean the water is and how efficient they are. I'm not an expert, but I do study water quality issues, and no waste treatment plants considers all of the many chemicals that are potentially of concern to human health.

One issue, for example, poorly addressed in waste treatment plants is the fate of metabolized medicines. birth control related hormonally active metabolites are an example of a chemical group not addressed by many waste treatment plants. Clearly people are very concerned about long term exposure to detectable quantities of estrogen-like chemicals.

Another example of waste treatment plants coming up short has been highlighted by the disposal of hydro-fracking residuals. Waste treatment plants have been found to accept and process these wastes even though they don't even look at the "clean" water except for a relatively short list of contaminants.

Also if you live in a small town, your waste treatment plant has potentially very low standards, so good luck with what you drink and good luck with where your sewage goes after you flush it.

The comparison to "freshwater" is interesting, but with pharmaceutical metabolites showing up in large and relatively remote water bodies its clear we don't have much water that can be called fresh without the quotation marks. How our institutions define clean illustrates the extent to which we have no idea which chemicals are important to avoid or measure and how poor our understanding is of the fate of any water.

Finally, the energy efficiency of waste-water treatment plants is a difficult question to look at, as one must look at the entire water system's energy budget(and energy efficiency is irrelevant to human welfare in complete markets). If by flushing with drinking water we dramatically increase our water use, requiring enormous investments in infrastructure, we can properly consider those costs only by including energy used in construction, transportation and treatment before use and transportation and treatment after use. Fortunately rainfall allows for the entire system to be downhill(theoretically), but I know of at least one town that uses pumps to keep their reservoir full in low rain fall years. We must also consider the opportunity costs of water and the system, for example, water flowing downhill for waste transport could have instead generated electricity, provided recreation, and supported ecosystems that benefit humans.
    Good post, happens I am a small portion of that industry, the problems we are creating for ourselves via far to medications and even from estrogen is going to haunt us dearly in the not so distant future.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6436617/...coming-female/

http://www.rense.com/general86/estro.htm

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...n-in-waterways

Let me get this straight. Your wife took your daughter to the doctor for the FLU????

And you wonder why insurance, and health care costs are high
    The absolute ignorance of people in relation to what the medical profession can or cannot do is astounding to say the least. It is interesting that people do not question airport security yet 180,000 people are killed each year via medical mistakes, the equivilent of two airliners going down each day, go figure.

GOT ME A 29ER!!!
    Mar 2011
    I wish the OP would come back just for one more post, to say what he thinks about these waste managment systems

Rides like a kid

Hey

We aren't the only ones to talk about this sh1t.

A Human-Waste Gold Mine: Bill Gates Looks to Reinvent the Toilet

http://www.time.com/time/world/artic...082509,00.html

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Is it unmanly to clean a bathroom? I don't get it. Is your bathroom self cleaning?
    Definately not...

I clean ours (all three)
    Clean out cat litter box
    Pick up man sized dog turds in back yard and on walks (dog is deceased now)

Make emergency tampon runs for wife at 10pm to walmart....without buying anything else.

I will show you how unmanly I am by peeing where ever necessary, whenever necessary with extreme prejudice.

Keep the faith Silkmoneylove

Blueliner

mtbr member
    There's no substitute for living at the headwaters. Everyone else is just downstream no matter how good their water treatment plant is.

In random well water testing that I have participated in one of the most commonly found chemicals, or metabolites of chemicals, is Triclosan. Triclosan is the active ingredient in antimcrobial soaps. So, my passion is removed by Jackwagon germophobes helping to create superbugs.

Hey, wait up!
    We aren't the only ones to talk about this sh1t.

A Human-Waste Gold Mine: Bill Gates Looks to Reinvent the Toilet

http://www.time.com/time/world/artic...082509,00.html
    If one is a vegan, can he use his poo like cow manure out in the yard?

In best Klingon voice: Today is a good day to ride!

New Mexico Off Road Series

Dirt Rocks!

Let Go, and Let Bike.

saddlemeat
    Quote Originally Posted by LCdaveH View Post
    If one is a vegan, can he use his poo like cow manure out in the yard?

Best to compost it first, that sterilizes it. You can still pass on diseases by contact with raw humanure. Same is true of cow manure, by the way, you don't put it on your field or garden raw unless you are going to till it into the soil prior to planting.

mtbr member
    This past weekend I went camping at some walk-in sites. Two families had apparently brought their own port-a-potties. I thought that was a bit ridiculous. I'd rather piss in the woods.

mtbr member
    I am really saddened by the ridiculous replies from the community to the original posters complaint. I can see why seeing some "jackwaggon" taking a wiz in the trail would upset her. I don't get why everyone is acting like it's no big deal.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    are you kidding? did he proceed to pee on your bike and you in the process, or are you just that uptight?

although i do agree, its a little rude
    Last edited by Sean831; 07-20-2011 at 03:17 PM.

Unpredictable
    Quote Originally Posted by xycarp View Post
    I am really saddened by the ridiculous replies from the community to the original posters complaint. I can see why seeing some "jackwaggon" taking a wiz in the trail would upset her. I don't get why everyone is acting like it's no big deal.
    This is a joke yes? You think "HER" wife was on the phone to her? By the way, isn't this the era of equality. Should it matter if he is a girl? Oh wait, that's the point of the entire thread. My bad

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Best to compost it first, that sterilizes it. You can still pass on diseases by contact with raw humanure.
    Same is true of cow manure, by the way, you don't put it on your field or garden raw unless you are going to till it into the soil prior to planting.
    Not around here. You put the manure in a spreader fresh from the cows and fling away.

The spreaders look like this:

mtbr member
    May 2011
    All very good points to think about. These are much larger issues than just how we do water treatment. Any solutions that you can think of that would work on a large scale and be economically viable? We have these legacy systems in place and while they can be updated, there is should be some "clean slate" thinking on the problems we face now and problems we will face with a growing and aging population.
    A very simple solution to wasteful water use would be to raise the price of water. Water pricing is totally crazy and often poorly thought out. water pricing varies tremendously depending on where you live. Some places use flat rate, some increasing rate, some decreasing. Essentially none of the prices communicate water scarcity, consequently private decision making does not lead to an efficient quantity of water use.

The major concern with raising the price of water is that low-income households will have trouble paying for the more expensive water. A solution is to give them a refund at the beginning of the year to reflect their increased expenses from the higher priced water. If they choose to reduce consumption, the refund is effectively a subsidy and they get to use it to buy other stuff. If they don't reduce consumption, then they're no worse off than before the price hike.

unfortunately its difficult to know how people respond to price changes or how much water use is the correct amount.

saddlemeat
    Quote Originally Posted by dead_dog_canyon View Post
    Not around here. You put the manure in a spreader fresh from the cows and fling away.

The spreaders look like this:

I've spread a lot of manure in my farm days, but never on growing crops. What crops are you spreading manure on while they are growing? Bet you destroy a lot of it riding through it with a tractor and manure spreader. Your terminology suggests you are not a farmer...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I've spread a lot of manure in my farm days, but never on growing crops. What crops are you spreading manure on while they are growing? Bet you destroy a lot of it riding through it with a tractor and manure spreader. Your terminology suggests you are not a farmer...
    Why has the internet gotten to the point where you have to ‘prove’ everything…..

Farmer - nope - mech engineer working in aerospace…
    I do live on 12 acres in N. NV with surface water rights since 87’. (River water used for flood irrigation.) Hobby rancher I guess.....

There are no “crops” here, only hay… something like 30,000 acers of hay in the valley. We have a 90 day frost-to-frost growing season. They do grow seed garlic and onions in the alfalfa fields when it is time to rotate them. Good money if they pick your field. The root crops pull the nitrogen from the alfalfa out.

Internet photos of the valley:

I have two fields:
    One is grass / alfalfa for hay the other is pretty much straight grass grazing. I don't own any equipment. Too small. There are two ranches near me that the have 400 plus acres operations and they do 'custom farming'. 1 has dairy cows, IE: source of manure. I simply water the fields and leave the seed drilling, manure spreading, cutting, baling, etc, to one of them. I do have a turd drag to break up the piles from my grazers in the spring. It is the standard configuration for around here - a piece of pipe with some chain link fence and chains that you pull around. I get on average 40 tons of hay out the deal and it doesn’t even pay the property taxes but I have a nice big green lawn for someone living in a high desert…

So… You grow crops?
    Last edited by dead_dog_canyon; 07-22-2011 at 11:11 AM.

saddlemeat
    Quote Originally Posted by dead_dog_canyon View Post
    So… You grow crops?
    Nope. I was born on a mid-western family farm though, and worked as farm labor for many years. A couple dozen dairy cows, a small feedlot for the steers, couple dozen pigs, chickens, grew corn, soybeans, alfalfa. I have cleaned a lot of stalls, spread a lot of shlt, milked a lot of cows, but would never go back... not even as a hobby farmer. I love the mountains of northwestern New Mexico now, don't even have a garden unless you count a meadow of wildflowers in my backyard.

Nice looking spread, your golf course looks killer. You wouldn't seriously spread fresh manure on that lush pasture while your horse was using it would you?

mtbr member
    Is it true Poison Oak and Poison Ivy oils can run back up your pee stream? I mean it seems plausible, no really, think about it.

saddlemeat
    Quote Originally Posted by mojojojoaf View Post
    Is it true Poison Oak and Poison Ivy oils can run back up your pee stream? I mean it seems plausible, no really, think about it.
    Thanks for opening the window... (whew)

XXIX
    I had an encounter with a Jackwagon Sunday morning. I came flying around a corner and there was a rider sitting in the middle of the trail with his head down looking at his ipod. Red bandana tied up like 2pak for a helmet, new tattoos and dressed like he shops a Pacsun. I had to break hard and almost lost it. I yelled "hey, rider, hey". I could hear his music so I know he could not here me so I bumped his back tire hard. I guess it startled and pissed him off because at the trail head he gave me a little attitude and he yelled "whoooooooo" as close as he could to my head as he passed by. Then he went over opened up all the doors on his van, loaded his bike up and sat there listing to death metal so loud we had to raise our voices just to talk to each other. He sat there for about 15 minutes then left.
    You could tell he was just ginormous Jackwagon.
    14' Vassago VerHauen
    [URL="https://m.facebook.com/pages/Spruce-Creek-Mtb-Trail/572082766223954"]

GOT ME A 29ER!!!
    Mar 2011
    I was riding at 3300 m above sea level (about 11000 feet) yesterday. Part of avoiding altitude sickness is that you have to drink large amounts of water, usually about 3 liters a day if you are just sitting around. This means that someone actually riding all day need 4 or 5 liters. Guess what happens when people drink that much? MASSIVE P1SSING!!! Between the 15 of us we probably managed to sustain the surrounding forest's H2O needs for the rest of the summer

mtbr member
    that sounds like an ol fashioned jack wagon train! circle up cowpokes, here comes the injuns!
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Nothing wrong with peeing in the forest, turn your back if suitable cover isn't available and maintain a descrete distance. Just don't blast the dreaded twin stream and get your own shoe, not that I ever have....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lucifer1306217 View Post
    Nothing wrong with peeing in the forest, turn your back if suitable cover isn't available and maintain a descrete distance. Just don't blast the dreaded twin stream and get your own shoe, not that I ever have....
    Welcome to the forums........... and what a thread to start on!!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0