Thread: My poor doggie!

mtbr member

My poor doggie!

Well this fat @ss got out riding on the weekend for the first time in a loooooooooong time. And I took my Jack Russel with me and he did a great job of keeping up and seemed to really enjoy it. But now the poor bugger seems really tired and lacks the usual energy. He's dehidrated I think and the pads of his front paws have been blistered and broken open. But he's walking but a little slower than usual.

Any dog owners out there? What should I do? Take him out more and let his paws/body get used to it? Any suggestions? My other dog (RIP) was great at it and I didn't notice any discomfort after the ride. I like taking him and I'm sure he loves it but am somewhat concerned for his well being.

Cheers, Matt

mtbr member
    well if it was his first ride of the year, he's out of shape too! let him heal for a week and take him out again next weekend. maybe a shorter ride, but definitely base it on how well you'll think he'll do. he'll get into shape just like you. Keep him hydrated along the ride, too! Stop for rests. don't run him to death. My dogs are all big dogs and they all love the ride. I only take them on rides with access to lots of water or I bring along a collapsable water dish and share mine. I'm sure a jack russell will require less water, but he'll certainly still need it. have fun

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Remember he needs to build up to the big rides too! Same as above give him time to heal and watch him closer on the next ride. If he paws continue to be a problem, you may need to get some boots for him. I've seen dogs in Moab that wear boots with line rubber soles to protect their paws. Other than that lots o water. I have a lab and he usually needs more water than I do on the trail. It really helps if you can plan your ride to start off with a little swim, really helps them regulate their temperature. Or even take them to the grooomer for a little shave... I usually shave my dog 3 to 4 times every summer. He rolls in mud alot less and when he does its much easier to clean him up...

Oh and remember usually dogs have to run harder on the downhill than the uphill so watch how fast you go down!

Scott

just along for the ride
    Start slow, as for water I use my camelbak and shoot a stream of water down his throat every 1.5 miles. He really likes that and it gives him a break to catch his breath. Try to avoid longer downhills cause it really pound their paws/shoulders trying to keep up. Avoid rocks, keep it on mostly loose dirt/sand singletrack. Use frontline or the otherstuff for fleas and ticks, make sure you check for ticks before letting him back in the house! Also he will need to build up its paws calusses, so start slow. You might want to consider a higher protein diet for it too. Don't overdo him, dogs can auger in and even have a heat attack since they are so loyal they can run themselve into an early grave, good luck!

mtbr member

Foot pads

Quote Originally Posted by fatmat71
    Well this fat @ss got out riding on the weekend for the first time in a loooooooooong time. And I took my Jack Russel with me and he did a great job of keeping up and seemed to really enjoy it. But now the poor bugger seems really tired and lacks the usual energy. He's dehidrated I think and the pads of his front paws have been blistered and broken open. But he's walking but a little slower than usual.

Any dog owners out there? What should I do? Take him out more and let his paws/body get used to it? Any suggestions? My other dog (RIP) was great at it and I didn't notice any discomfort after the ride. I like taking him and I'm sure he loves it but am somewhat concerned for his well being.

Cheers, Matt
    I took my dog out and had similar observations. The collapsable bowl was a great thing for her! I purchased some of those boots for her and they don't work-they just don't stay on. And I got the pricey ones! But I tried this wax stuff that toughens their pads (used for hunting dogs) and it works well. Check out your local Pet Smart or online. I paid $4, I think.

mtbr member
    Yeah I usually wait for him at the bottom of the downhills and he catches up. Thing that I have to get him used to is drinking from my waterpack (he refuses, maybe I'll bring a small container for him), and going in water or drinking water, I really have to make him go to the water. But he's amazing on the rides, when I stop for breaks he's wanting to keep going after awhile, more so than I do!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by santaheckler
    I took my dog out and had similar observations. The collapsable bowl was a great thing for her! I purchased some of those boots for her and they don't work-they just don't stay on. And I got the pricey ones! But I tried this wax stuff that toughens their pads (used for hunting dogs) and it works well. Check out your local Pet Smart or online. I paid $4, I think.

That wax sounds like a good idea.

Check out my new avatar!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fatmat71
    Yeah I usually wait for him at the bottom of the downhills and he catches up. Thing that I have to get him used to is drinking from my waterpack (he refuses, maybe I'll bring a small container for him), and going in water or drinking water, I really have to make him go to the water. But he's amazing on the rides, when I stop for breaks he's wanting to keep going after awhile, more so than I do!
    It may not be a problem with smaller dogs like the Jack russel. But my dog is a 90 lbs lab, no he's not overweight thats just how big he is. At 6 months he was 70lbs... Anyway I'd bomb the downhills and then wait for him. The problem was that he would run as hard as he could to try and keep up. But it was just too hard on his front shoulders, he tore a muscle under his shoulder. Limped for a long time... Every winter he puts on a little weight and it comes off every summer. A limpoma (fat pad) has developed around that scare. Over 5 or 6 years its gotten pretty big. He's a pretty happy 11 year old, but I have to REALLY watch that shoulder...