Thread: My Frustration

Single Speed Junkie

My Frustration

Argh itís a beautiful day outside and yet Iím even more aggravated than normal. Have been unemployed since September and have been applying for all types of jobs that are related to my desired field. Several companies have returned an email, or phone call letting me know that Iím just not exactly what they are looking for currently and that either Iím to qualified, or donít have enough experience. Ok I admit I donít have the standard requirement of five years experience and Iím not a fresh graduate only have 2.5 years experience out of college, but I have published one patent so far, started my own corporation in college, had several grants, received recognition in the local paper for a rotary UAV developed as a senior thesis project, but yet Still unemployed. So where does an individual like me fit in exactly? I guess that Iím having difficulty seeing how one gets disposed of so quickly and forgotten. People around me keep letting me know that an opening will show it self soon enough which is easy to say when your not looking at the top ramen meal plan for your family over the next several months working 60 hours a week so you can go back to work.

One promise I made myself is that I wonít ride weekdays during business hours as to more effectively locate employment. Canít wait till this weekend going to ride until I can no longer feel my legs.

Sorry all just needed to vent.

Probably drunk right now

Unsolicited (perhaps poor) Advice...

Quote Originally Posted by crux
    One promise I made myself is that I wonít ride weekdays during business hours as to more effectively locate employment.

Sorry all just needed to vent.
    \

Why? I understand the need to find employment and focusing on that, but if you were working, would you ride during the week? I don't understand why you can't ride more, provided you have the time. When life gives you lemons, make lemonade and all that.

Go ride. Blow off steam on the singletrack vs. among a bunch of knuckdragging e-nerds.

Vent away, that's what we're here for.

cheers and beers,

Ken

life is a barrel o'fun

Been there/done that

Was once unemployed for a ridiculous amount of time, so I can relate. Take advantage of the time to RIDE, man!! That's what I did, and got my skills up to speed with my first front suspension (yes I'm a late bloomer) and worked as a messenger.

We all gotta start someplace. Your next job probably won't be THE job, but what job is?? Enjoy your freedom 'til you're a wage slave again. Meaning, RIDE RIDE RIDE while the trails are ALL YOURS

Medium?

Not ride? WTF?

I was also laid off for a long while, and I totally understand what you're going through. For some of the time I was wondering if my email was on a one-way ticket, as I wasn't even getting "no"s to my flood of outgoing resumes. I have a degree and over 15 years of experience.

So, back to riding. If it's your passion, and I think it might be, you shouldn't deny yourself that in the name of sitting around waiting for the phone to ring. Pick your time carefully and conservatively, but ride. Otherwise you'll end up back in the 8-5 grind and wonder why you weren't riding every freakin day while you were off.

Believe me, if someone's got a place for you, they'll wait two hours for you to answer your voice mail.

mtbr member

passion + crisis = opportunity

People at work all over the world wish they were biking right now. Fast Eddy is right, a one or two hour ripper out in the woods is not going to lose you a potential job. Heading out to Moab for a three week road trip with the crew, that's another story. Hey, you never know, you might meet someone out on a ride that gives you a lead that puts you in the right direction. I've met a few friends that way, and word of mouth is the best way to land a job. But then again, what else would bike crazed people like us say. Maybe there ought to be a networking thread for just such a situation. Riders hooking up riders, not a bad idea I think. Hang in there and for the love of everything that is rocky and steep, ride! Think of how more focused you'd be if you just got out for a little while. Consider it professional development.

Single Speed Junkie
    Any other bike nuts out there with some time to kill and want to travel on the cheap?

Medium?

If you interview while on a road trip...

You can write off $0.36/mile plus expenses (read beer, food and hotels). You don't think I did it, do ya? 8^)

mtbr member

Justification....

If that's not justification for riding I don't know what is. Fast Eddie, for real, did you pull that trick, because that's pretty good. Maybe the trip to Moab is for the best crux.