Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

My first real ride......ever

2K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  J.B. Weld 
#1 ·
I recently moved to Ogden, UT and have been excited to get going on the trails before the season ends. I picked up a few bikes off craigslist. The first ride went pretty disastrously, as I barely made it a mile out before my tire got a weird blister on it and then popped. My wife headed back to the road to grab the car (we were riding parallel to the road on the trails) and ended up wrecking very hard on the asphalt. She's done for the season.

Today, I went out determined to have a better day, and it didn't take long for that to happen. I headed down by 22nd st where I'd heard the trails where a little less gnarly than the trails by my place (Beus Canyon) for my beginner self.

Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim

What a blast. I can't speak to what makes a good trail or not yet, but it was like a playground of single track trails just spider webbing everywhere on the base of and up the front of the Wasatch front, up and down over and over. I started south along the Bonneville Shoreline Trail, which was a blast, and then turned around and just kind of played on the trails, picking random directions that looked good.

Mountainous landforms Bicycle handlebar Bicycle Bicycle part Land vehicle

I found several places where the climb was too steep and I had to walk (though the knowledge that getting going again on the incline was going to be a PITA was a big motivator to keep going), and the downhill was always a blast. I hit some steepish (to me) stuff, one where I was on the brakes and it was steep enough that my bike just slid down without the wheels turning. I felt like I was going over the handle bars like 3 times on that section but managed to stay afloat. Another time I could keep the wheels spinning but the back tire just kept sliding around because of the steepness and loose gravel. I just kind of steered into it and widdled my way down. So fun.

Vegetation Natural landscape Plant community Soil Ecoregion

In the end I went about 6 miles with 800 feet of total climb (and subsequent descent). I don't know how that compares to a typical ride but it felt like a pretty good workout to me. My legs were screaming from the climbs and my forearms were screaming from gripping the handle bars from the descents. Not sure how good of a leg workout mountain biking is compared to the gym, but it would be great if I could swap out my leg day at the gym for much more fun bike rides.

Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle wheel Wheel Bicycle wheel rim

In the end, I learned a lot on my inaugural ride. Chiefly, that I need to bring more water on my rides. I brought the same amount that I usually bring for a run of similar duration and went through it much faster. There's nowhere to mount a bottle on the bike so I guess it's gotta be a hydration bladder.

Can't wait to get back out there, and I don't expect it to be long (today!).

See less See more
#3 ·
Nice. You probably have a water bottle mount under the down tube.

Hope your wife recovers quick and doesn't give up on mt biking. Mine had a big crash the first time I took her 16 years ago but didn't phase her a bit. Better that you two are starting out together.

Hydration packs are also great for carrying extra gear, tools, first aid kit, etc.

#8 ·
Dear friend in cycling,
Please, please Please google and find some mtn bike instructional videos and take some lessons, or find a club that is friendly to beginners.
That will save you some thumps and bumps & set you up with the right progression for great skills development; better to spend time on the trail than the ER.
Your joy in riding is infectious! You are in a beautiful place and it will only get better and better.

#9 ·
How in the world did we ever survive without lessons and instructional videos??? :confused:

Back in the day we would say things like "if your not falling your not trying" and other mindless drivel. Then we would ride hard, crash out occasionally and go ride some more. Failure is the greatest teacher there is. The thumps and bumps show you were your limits are.

And I have only been to the ER once in almost 20 yrs of riding.

#10 ·
Riding with experienced riders accelerated my skills and confidence to push myself.

I went over the bars, my first time mtb. That was 6 years ago and I was on a first date, with my future husband. :)

Speedy recovery for your wife. Find your passion and Keep riding

#11 ·
hehe I had a rather silly off riding on the weekend at a 24hr mtnbike event when i over corrected going around a corner and ended up clipping a tree. cost me 40 dollars due to a slightly tacod wheel and a good laugh, only injury was a 3mm scratch on my pinkie lol. but i have been lucky not to get seriously injured when I hit a sand pocket on a fire trail at 40kmhr, one minute riding next minute lying off the side of the trail wondering what the hell just happened.
but yeah find a good singletrack and its magic. want to see it in its glory, do a dawn ride like this
Night Atmosphere Darkness Space Geological phenomenon

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.