pedalphile

My First Paceline (caution: roadie content)

I've been a MTB guy for a long time, but after buying a fixie sometime in the Winter of '04, I sorta got hooked on road riding too. This was in New York City, and I spent many a day sailing around the streets of Manhattan, around Central Park, and north into Jersey. Rides got longer, I got faster...

Buying an inexpensive track bike was sort of an experiment to see if I would like this road riding enough to get myself a zippy road racing bike.

Fast forward to late this Summer. I'd moved across the country and was about to start grad school. I never stopped mountainbiking, but I'd been obsessing for months over what road bike I wanted (and could afford). I demoed at least a dozen bikes in three states, a few times demoing the same bike at different stores. I talked to custom builders, decided I *needed* this or that, changed my mind again and again, and *finally* plonked down for a serious road machine.

In the few months I've owned the bike, I've tried to ride at least 3 or 4 times a week, exploring this new place I live. My fixie is now a commuter, and my singlespeed is uh... sorta dusty. After a couple dozen or so rides, some easy, some hard, some harder than I ever thought I'd do, getting increasingly addicted, I showed up for a local Training Ride this morning.

Before today I had never ridden on the road in a group of more than three people (the 5 Boro Bike Tour in NY doesn't count). We were about ten today, and I think I now understand road riding on a completely different level. It was a day of discovery, as if I had learned something completely new to do with a bicycle. It was like Christmas in October.

Zooming around curves in a paceline, taking turns shooting forward to the lead, breaking off and entering your own private hell as you hammer up a hill... That was really, really fun.

I love riding solo, and I still love mountain biking, but this group ride was a whole new thing. I'm really sore now. Time for beer.
    now the world is gone i'm just o n e

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    cool--i log more rd bike than mtb miles here on Oahu. Remember there's room for a cam back there in those road jersey pockets. So take some roadie pics.
    Last edited by ArmySlowRdr; 10-16-2005 at 02:55 AM. Reason: sp

A Midwesterner in Europe
    Sep 2004
    I know the feeling, except I put down the mountain bike and I've not picked it up for a long time.

pedalphile
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr
    cool--i log more rd bike than mtb miles here on Oahu. Remember there's room for a cam back there in those road jersey pockets. So take some roadie pics.
    Somehow I always manage to forget my camera (or its memory card, or battery)! This is about the best I can do at the moment...
    Attached Images Attached Images

banned
    Apr 2004

Like a silent locomotive.

Flying down PCH.

pedalphile
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Nazi
    Like a silent locomotive; Flying down PCH.
    Hey I like that.